daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:18 AM   #1221
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaluchanin View Post
Like one on your avatar?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:28 AM   #1222
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

dont matter what color it is...build it Chi-town....give the US some respect back for the high tech, best looking, and some of the tallest in the world.
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:49 AM   #1223
Hecago

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Heh. I don't think having another black tower for Chicago... It would make Chicago skyline BLACK! I think Chicago skyline should be high diverse of colors. I prefer blue one to help balance Chicago skyline better. Chicago already have two tallest buildings that are already black (e.i. Sears Tower and John Hancock) Also one of Chicago's new tallest buildings... Trump Internationl Tower that is blue too. Imagine if ALL skyscrapers in Chicago is BLACK, its would turn Chicago into gothic city.
THAT'S RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JK
Hecago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM   #1224
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Zefire liked this post
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:18 AM   #1225
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecago View Post
THAT'S RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JK
That would be called skyscraperist!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1226
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

You better not let Al Sharpton see THIS! Or else he will condemn you of hatin against black skyscrapers and AT THE SAME TIME tell America needs more BLACK Skyscrapers!

woot, I like this drillbit skyscraper.
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1227
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Icicle skyscraper.

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM   #1228
VikkyD
Yip-Eyey-Kie-Ay

Likes (Received): 1

Loved number 3.... with the flat roof.. this latest version is.. great, but... slightly more phallic. and... eh.
VikkyD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1229
SNL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

i love how one will be able to view chicago from michigan after the chicago spire is built. what an amazing skyline it will be. the spire will be a lighthouse for all seamen. they won't need a compass or a map. they can just set sail from michigan straight to the chicago spire.

Zefire liked this post
SNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1230
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

hopefully this tower will be only the first of more such megatowers
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1231
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Heh. I don't think having another black tower for Chicago... It would make Chicago skyline BLACK! I think Chicago skyline should be high diverse of colors. I prefer blue one to help balance Chicago skyline better. Chicago already have two tallest buildings that are already black (e.i. Sears Tower and John Hancock) Also one of Chicago's new tallest buildings... Trump Internationl Tower that is blue too. Imagine if ALL skyscrapers in Chicago is BLACK, its would turn Chicago into gothic city.
I agree. I would like to see a diversity in colors, as most Chicagoans would. How else could you explain Chicagoans' affinity for the CNA building? Besides, who ever said that all the biggest ones were black. Sometimes they're blue. Just ask Smurfette!

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1232
SGMD1

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by SGMD1; September 21st, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1233
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

you can already see Chicago from Michigan
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #1234
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

I like the blue best.

In regards to mister flyfish...as long as a building is practical and useful, it should be any shape. The only reason we didn't see more of these unique shapes in the past is because of engineering constraints. You can like "classical" architecture, but you can appreciate futuristic, avant-garde architecture as well (though I don't think I'd even call the Spire particularly avant-garde). When you've got cities like London building more "edgy" skyscrapers than Chicago, you know you've got to fix something. The Spire is a step in this direction.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #1235
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
I like the blue best.

In regards to mister flyfish...as long as a building is practical and useful, it should be any shape. The only reason we didn't see more of these unique shapes in the past is because of engineering constraints. You can like "classical" architecture, but you can appreciate futuristic, avant-garde architecture as well (though I don't think I'd even call the Spire particularly avant-garde). When you've got cities like London building more "edgy" skyscrapers than Chicago, you know you've got to fix something. The Spire is a step in this direction.
The Chicago Spire is a huge step in taking skyscraper ingenuity in a new direction, not to mention its 610 meters tall>>>
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1236
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 4

Definitely liked the black renderings. Someone else asked about a two-tone combo with black structuring and silver windows. That'd be interesting.

BTW, is there some sort of architectural rule that says all new glass buildings are required to project glimmering shades of bright blue or emerald green?

Glass is without a doubt the perfect exterior for the Spire, but I hope Chicago doesn't get "too glassy." I just love the raw power and classic clean designs of masterpiece 'scrapers like the Sears Tower, John Hancock and Aon Center. There is something to be said for purity and simplistic design, but the Spire truly blows my mind. Sure hope to see Calatrava's dynamic vision come to full fruition in the Windy City.

Last edited by NittanyBLUE2002; May 4th, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #1237
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Likes (Received): 1

if this building is completed, with the detailing showed in the prevoius post... I will have a Chicago Spire in my pants!!!!

Love this!
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #1238
Sinful Moon Octopus

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikkyD View Post
Loved number 3.... with the flat roof.. this latest version is.. great, but... slightly more phallic. and... eh.
I agree, version A, B and C are all much better.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #1239
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Why can't they build buildings that look like buildings? We have an eight years old's interpretation of a rocket being buillt in Dubai, a proposed 1800 ft tall ***** in Vegas and now a soon to be approved 2000 ft drill bit in Chicago.
What is your idea of what a building of what a building should look like? Why don't you design something then?

People need to get away from being stuck in the past. Not everything has to be a box. It's time for people to start thinking outside of the box.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1240
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
A "building" doesn't look like a Saturn V rocket, a *****, or a drill bit, LOL. It lools like a building. Look at Chicago or New York at the classic architecture that you see in those existing buildings. This new stuff does not fit with what surrounds it, it stands in stark contrast to what surrounds it.

The only one that has a chance not to look silly in practicality is the Burj Dubai, since it's surroundings are being built with it. But every time I see a render I start a countdown, 10, 9, 8, 7....
Well you do realize that when the classical buildings were built, they didn't fit into their surroundings don't you? Chicago was a wind swept prairie. When the internation style came to this country with it's sleek lines and simple form, they weren't traditional.

It's called progress. That's while Chicago is the way it is because of forward thinking design. When the Chicago School of architecture was invented, it was forward thinking design, some of the worlds first skyscrapers.

Step of the box....

Are you going to go back to the typewrite because of the computer? You going to back to the Model T because of the Thunderbird?

Progress man, progress...
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower