daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #1381
pennster
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
I've flown into Chicago and the plane was pretty darned close to downtown as it turned to line up for O'Hare. 2000 feet is tall enough.

To whomever said it was regulation not legislation: look at the quoted language. It ends wilth a CFR reference. That means it is the law. It was originallt put into the Code of Federal Regulations to prevent those rural radio masts from climbing into orbit and getting hit by anything but I think it makes sense. US airspace is clogged up enough and doesn't need buidings poking into the flightpaths.

Although I hate the drill bit look of this thing I do commend the designer for having useable space right to the top and not some stupid spire just to add height like the Burj Dubai. It should be fun to watch this thing being constructed.
A CFR reference means yes it is the law, but it wasn't legislated into law by Congress. It stands for "Code of Federal Regulations" which are written by the various agencies and departments of the executive branch, including in this case the FAA and FCC (though the FCC is only involved in broadcast towers). The statute regulating tower heights can be changed by the FAA without Congressional interference. Even now, the regulation doesn't prevent skyscrapers from being built over 2000 feet, it would just need to be proven that it is necessary to build it as such (i.e. limited availability of land in a city).
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #1382
Chi649
Registered User
 
Chi649's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,156
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
I've flown into Chicago and the plane was pretty darned close to downtown as it turned to line up for O'Hare. 2000 feet is tall enough.

To whomever said it was regulation not legislation: look at the quoted language. It ends wilth a CFR reference. That means it is the law. It was originallt put into the Code of Federal Regulations to prevent those rural radio masts from climbing into orbit and getting hit by anything but I think it makes sense. US airspace is clogged up enough and doesn't need buidings poking into the flightpaths.

Although I hate the drill bit look of this thing I do commend the designer for having useable space right to the top and not some stupid spire just to add height like the Burj Dubai. It should be fun to watch this thing being constructed.
Downtown Chicago should be a no-fly zone IMO, so I think no matter how tall you build, there should never be a concern.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #1383
southloopscotty
Registered User
 
southloopscotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 79
Likes (Received): 0

I do hope this comes to fruition!
southloopscotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #1384
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
Downtown Chicago should be a no-fly zone IMO, so I think no matter how tall you build, there should never be a concern.
Actually, ever since Meigs was closed, ALL of Chicago's airspace, except in the areas of the approaches to the two main airports (ORD and MDW) are what the FAA considers 'Class G' airspace. This is the least restrictive classification of all and anyone with a pilots' license or 'sport pilot' certificate can fly in it without restriction (other than for the usual and reasonable 'safe flying' rules) and without saying 'boo' to anyone. While Meigs was open, any aircraft in the central part of the city had to be in contact with its control tower for permission and guidance.

And the FAA would have happily told all of that to Daley had he just asked them before he sent to cops and bulldozers to Meigs in the middle of that one night several years ago.

The TV stations, medivac choppers, police department and so forth make regular and frequent use of that airspace, too.

As for that one ORD approach, it passes east to west along approximately Irving Park Rd and does offer a *STUNNING* view of the city on the way in, especially at night.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1385
Alejandrohl3
Registered User
 
Alejandrohl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 101
Likes (Received): 5

Hmm, I have' nt found any image of Chicago's future skyline which includes both the Spire and the Trump Tower.. I'd like one to set it as a wallpaper. If you find one it would be nice thnx
Alejandrohl3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #1386
UniversalDiablo
Registered User
 
UniversalDiablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 99
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Actually, ever since Meigs was closed, ALL of Chicago's airspace, except in the areas of the approaches to the two main airports (ORD and MDW) are what the FAA considers 'Class G' airspace. This is the least restrictive classification of all and anyone with a pilots' license or 'sport pilot' certificate can fly in it without restriction (other than for the usual and reasonable 'safe flying' rules) and without saying 'boo' to anyone. While Meigs was open, any aircraft in the central part of the city had to be in contact with its control tower for permission and guidance.

And the FAA would have happily told all of that to Daley had he just asked them before he sent to cops and bulldozers to Meigs in the middle of that one night several years ago.

The TV stations, medivac choppers, police department and so forth make regular and frequent use of that airspace, too.

As for that one ORD approach, it passes east to west along approximately Irving Park Rd and does offer a *STUNNING* view of the city on the way in, especially at night.

Mike
wow, its been seven years already since that happened? wow, it seemed recent, like it was about 3-4 yrs instead of 7
UniversalDiablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #1387
theworldshallcry
BAMMED
 
theworldshallcry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calenzano View Post
Poor trump!
The Donald just got Trumped.

All the skyscraper enthusiasts in town are going to try to make friends that live in the tower.
theworldshallcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #1388
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Baltimore/Columbia, Md.
Posts: 2,257
Likes (Received): 13

congratulations on the spire, chicago!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1389
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,195
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ You did NOT actually think he was being serious, did you?
now that is just plain ridiculous, Urban; I thought you knew better. I brought my plastic container and took it to the west silo customer station at Marina City, put it on the platform, pressed the button, and the cereal started to flow out. As usual.

What next, you want us to believe the stock yards no longer exist?
__________________

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1390
dropdeaded209
Registered User
 
dropdeaded209's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 72
Likes (Received): 0

fyi, east tower is out of cheerios.
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1391
giovani kun
====(^.^)====
 
giovani kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 世界 に
Posts: 2,902
Likes (Received): 559

yes indeed congratulations good for Chicago look at Las Vegas stiil have to wait until approval as it looks the Spire will not be lonnely at the top if the LV Tower get's approve will have a rece on our hand here for the tallest in the USA
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1392
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades
 
ardecila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Orleans/Chicago
Posts: 1,391
Likes (Received): 2

I'm more a fan of the West Tower - Honey Bunches of Oats is my favorite cereal.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #1393
Latoso
C.B.P.
 
Latoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,189
Likes (Received): 3

The closest Marina City has ever come to being used for grain storage is housing Steely Dan's corny ass!
__________________
LATOSO
C.B.P. - Citizens for Better Planning

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #1394
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,195
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso View Post
The closest Marina City has ever come to being used for grain storage is housing Steely Dan's corny ass!
is it being marketed? I haven't seen advertisements in the Daily News or the American.

meanwhile, dropdead, not trying to get technical, but I believe you have to go to the London silos to be able to get Cherios.
__________________

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #1395
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,195
Likes (Received): 105

my only hope is that MWR realizes I'm a true, blue, dyed-in-the-wool Chicagoan who knows my city's history well...even down to the point of that dog running off with the lantern that started the great Chicago fire and earthquake in 1906. I believe the Ferry Building at the corner of Michigan, Chicago, Market, and the Embarcadero was the only structure to survive the calamity.
__________________

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #1396
Latoso
C.B.P.
 
Latoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,189
Likes (Received): 3

Actually they were running ads in the Southtown Economist. Oh, and thanks for reminding us of that terrible calamity, I hate to think of those poor souls trying in vain to escape to Naples.
__________________
LATOSO
C.B.P. - Citizens for Better Planning

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #1397
EnDleSsWaLtZ
Registered User
 
EnDleSsWaLtZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, La Grange IL
Posts: 457
Likes (Received): 22

I dunno about everone else but I'm dying to hear the "Construction has begun" announcment. I'm much more excited about this building going up than the Burj Dubai. Then again Burj Dubai isn't being build right here in my very own back yard! I wonder how many tower cranes are going to be used to build this baby and if the crane(s) are going to be going up with the core or on the side of the building kinda like what they did while constructing Taipie 101.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #1398
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades
 
ardecila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Orleans/Chicago
Posts: 1,391
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso View Post
I hate to think of those poor souls trying in vain to escape to Naples.
Well, some of them actually managed to find a boat. Unfortunately, it was the Eastland.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #1399
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,195
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso View Post
Actually they were running ads in the Southtown Economist. Oh, and thanks for reminding us of that terrible calamity, I hate to think of those poor souls trying in vain to escape to Naples.
stop being a pompeii-ous ass.
__________________

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #1400
alsajano
Turista Virtual
 
alsajano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bárcena PC
Posts: 2,322
Likes (Received): 0

I only say: "I would like to live in the penthouse of this building"
__________________
Bastante perdido.
alsajano no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu