daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1541
graham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

deleted

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by graham; May 30th, 2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: reconsidered my thoughts
graham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #1542
Hanshin-Tigress
BANNED

Likes (Received): 110

You guys are flooding the thread with your conversations so its harder for people to dig up the info on the building. There are other sections in this website for discussions like that. That is why they try to keep this website organized with all the sections.

Zefire liked this post
Hanshin-Tigress no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #1543
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I'm struggling to understand why all of you are so put off by a discussion about architecture. The entire point of this website is to discuss architecture and urban development. Everything else is secondary. And, yet, when a few people strike up a debate about this project and that debate happens to implicate other buildings in its scope, people start complaining. You act as though you're being forced to read it. If it doesn't interest you, then leave it alone. But I'm tired of seeing all of these immature snipes from people.
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #1544
ch1le
always on

/\ I absolutely agree with Hydrogen.
And there is no use just dismissing Graham, its obvious he knows his way around architecture, and im actually facinated by his opinions and thoughts.
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1545
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNL View Post
why is this attention wh0re, graham, allowed to spam the chicago spire thread? why aren't the moderators doing their job? if you do not want to devote your time to keeping threads on topic, then get somebody else to do it like me.
Some cheese with your whine?

C'mon, the debate is good, it is interesting reading and most of all it shows that this place is more than a list of sychophantic "I love this building", "how tall is it now", and "great pics, thanks" posts. The best way for a site like this to go down the tubes is for the mods to start pulling controversy. Disagreement is healthy, it makes you take a look at your own arguement and strengthen it.

JMHO
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1546
mightygoose

Likes (Received): 10

i actually would love to see a decent version of the chicago spire with neoclassical influences... its a stye i particularly like.
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #1547
Nat76

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki-chan View Post
You guys are flooding the thread with your conversations so its harder for people to dig up the info on the building. There are other sections in this website for discussions like that. That is why they try to keep this website organized with all the sections.
If you think I (and others) are shifting this discussion off-topic, I'm sorry, but context is important here. I dunno about the Taj Mahal comparison, but I think looking at this building a comparing it to it's peers--other supertalls in Chicago and recently constructed buildings around the world. Why it will/won't fit, influences, why the building is uninteresting/interesting, etc. To me that's a lot more interesting than reading, "we've reached the 83rd floor", or, "they're adding glass". Actually, the chicago forum has a thread dedicated to the CS, and they're spending a fair amount of time discussing similar things.

I could do without altering the renderings to look like a supersized Pisa or a Greek column. These don't really contribute anything to the discussion.
Nat76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #1548
Hanshin-Tigress
BANNED

Likes (Received): 110

i dont care about the other things just those pics of the taj mahal out of nowhere is what i am replying too.

Zefire liked this post
Hanshin-Tigress no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #1549
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I'm not sure why the feminity of this tower is such a big deal. Just because it doesn't have a fat-ass base doesn't mean it's not sturdy, or that it causes people to have fear. Sure it does but people get over it soon enough. Towers these days seem more and more to defy gravity, look at the CCTV building in Beijing, what about highliff in honk kong, etc.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #1550
stefr

Likes (Received): 7

I imagined that or my post and all its replies have disappeared Was it censured? If so, sorry for the convenience but it was only a joke about the comparison between the Taj Mahal and the Chispire and Graham found it funny…
stefr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1551
graham
BANNED

a new idea

Zefire liked this post
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1552
i_am_hydrogen
muted

NewcitySkyline

Chicago Spire prepares for construction

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Chicago, IL, US (NCS) - Following the Chicago Plan Commission’s unanimous approval of Shelbourne Development’s proposal in April for the 2,000-foot-tall residential tower with an underground parking garage, the City Council approved the same proposal weeks later.

Garrett Kelleher, president of Shelbourne Development, has since been busy making plans to initiate construction of Santiago Calatrava’s famed Chicago Spire.

It is confirmed that construction will begin this summer, according to Kim Metcalfe of Weber Shandwick, the PR firm representing Garrett Kelleher and Shelbourne Development.

Full story at NewcitySkyline
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1553
i_am_hydrogen
muted

NewcitySkyline

Chicago Spire prepares for construction

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Chicago, IL, US (NCS) - Following the Chicago Plan Commission’s unanimous approval of Shelbourne Development’s proposal in April for the 2,000-foot-tall residential tower with an underground parking garage, the City Council approved the same proposal weeks later.

Garrett Kelleher, president of Shelbourne Development, has since been busy making plans to initiate construction of Santiago Calatrava’s famed Chicago Spire.

It is confirmed that construction will begin this summer, according to Kim Metcalfe of Weber Shandwick, the PR firm representing Garrett Kelleher and Shelbourne Development.

Full story at NewcitySkyline
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #1554
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Great News
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1555
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

summer is good but it can mean 3 months . hopefully they mean june as we guessed all the time
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #1556
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

God please let this NOT be a dream.........

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #1557
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

graham, I really REALLY don't think black suits this tower at all. Also I don't like the modified top but the base I do like. Could you please make a render with the original colours and top but with your version of the base? I would seem like it grows from the ground which I like
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1558
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

no dream....reality!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1559
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

AWESOME!!!!! I can't wait to see loads of construction pictures of Chicago Spires one day!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #1560
graham
BANNED

a wider base

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
graham, I really REALLY don't think black suits this tower at all. Also I don't like the modified top but the base I do like. Could you please make a render with the original colours and top but with your version of the base? I would seem like it grows from the ground which I like
You asked for it - you got it! Toyota.

At great risk of being sworn at, misunderstood, ridiculed and told to discuss the design of CS in another section, I analyse .....

The first base render is cluttered, complicated, fussy, frilly, fragile, insecure, feminine, some elements are old fashioned , no privacy, no contextualism, no harmony of shape or line. Do you see the forked devil tails? Granted it's open and airy. Why is that good again?? Oh yeah, NIMBY groups. Enuff said.

The second base render is simple, clean, secure, private, anchored, strong, masculine, contains some contexturalism, unbroken pattern repeats. Tree trunk symbolism evokes an organic expression of strength. Above all - it's simple which is the unrecoverable defect in the first render. Almost all superior design is uncomplicated.

Perhaps I've said too much.
The first design for CS was the best.
It had a base that evoked strength at least.
Keep in mind the actual psycological impact 911 has had on society (albeit unrecognized).
Banks are worried about that when assesing saleability.
It should look strong and be strong.
Americans are not in the mood for frivolous illusion.
We have David Copperfield for that!

Unfortunately, the tiny lot size bears on what is possible designwise.
Have a look at this.........

They would have to scale the whole project down to have a flared base that fits there. The lot size is sucking the life from good design ideas for a very tall building.
Go waaay tall ( hell, go for 200 stories ! beat the Burj Dubai even!! ) All of America can get behind that idea! On a bigger lot.
Why try to jam a round peg in a square hole?
Go big on a bigger lot with a good design or go home!
And the contaminated park across the way is not exactly a sales kicker.
Although I have great respect for most architects, it's the banks that really have their finger on what will sell, and for how much.

Please don't flame me.
If I'm wrong, say why I'm wrong please.
And say what you would suggest instead.

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by graham; June 1st, 2007 at 02:34 AM.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower