daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1701
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by feworkr View Post
I have a friend who is an engineer with STS, and the ground has been tested for this building and it can support it. I think the interesting part will be to see which, if any, large Chicago general contractors bid on this project with its questionable funding at this point. VERY large companies like Case foundation, or any other caisson drilling outfit will want a whole lot of $$$$ upfront, in case this project tanks after a few months.
Someone actually said on another forum that he'd heard that Case was probably the general contractor for the slurry wall and caisson. It would take about a year to complete that work alone. He also said that Case would be treated as the GC for their portion of the project and leave while another company would come in and finish the tower portion of the project.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #1702
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
Does anyone know if they've applied for a building permit yet with the city or at least gotten a foundation permit to start the base? They can't do anything but move some earth until they do.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #1703
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

That's not a building permit or a permit application. It's the required public announcement regarding the zoning application from last December. You'll note it references Jcck George from Daley & George, the top city zoning attorney.

A zoning application and zoning/city council approval is not a building permit. A developer can sell units without a building permit, but can't start construction without one.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #1704
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

I'm probably the only one who doesn't like how the skyline fits in with that Chicago Spire. It doesn't look like it fits with the Chicago skyline. If it was darker in color, then it would be 1000 times better. It should be a little "fatter" too, because it looks way too thin.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #1705
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
That's not a building permit or a permit application. It's the required public announcement regarding the zoning application from last December. You'll note it references Jcck George from Daley & George, the top city zoning attorney.

A zoning application and zoning/city council approval is not a building permit. A developer can sell units without a building permit, but can't start construction without one.
I don't even think that they have gotten or even applied for a building permit. I believe I remember reading that they would piece meal the permit several floors at a time - I'm not sure what they pre-arranged with DCAP.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1706
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

^

Don't worry, you're not the only one. About 40% of the people who have posted don't like it.

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #1707
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

I'll go on record as saying I really don't like how it fits in with they skyline either. To me, it doesn't look like a "Chicago" building. That being said, I am still very happy it is being built. After more than 30 years, it's about time.
Green Jello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #1708
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden View Post
I'll go on record as saying I really don't like how it fits in with they skyline either. To me, it doesn't look like a "Chicago" building. That being said, I am still very happy it is being built. After more than 30 years, it's about time.

Why don't you explain to us exactly what a "Chicago Building" is? Is there a specific definition or context? I don't believe there is. There's the Chicago School style, but other than that...
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #1709
Green Jello

You live there, so you should know exactly what I mean. Judging by the tone of your question, you are obviously just looking for a fight, so I'm just not going to indulge you.

Go Spire.
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1710
Hecago

Likes (Received): 4

Why is it that some people seem to think a building should "fit in" with the rest of the buildings? Why not let the skyline be a diverse display of different architectural styles? If skyscrapers were built on the basis of whether or not they "fit in", there would be no Chrysler Building, no John Hancock Center, no Sears Tower, and this site probably wouldn't exist!

Great skyscrapers of the past century are remembered and treasured to this day because they were different, because they stood out, because they were unique and original. If you don't like the design, I understand, but I don't understand this notion that a building shouldn't be built because it doesn't "fit in" and I think It's ridiculous. I'm looking forward to this building mostly because it's different than anything this city has ever had, not because it fits in.
Hecago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #1711
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

He just wants to know your reason.

Simply stating "It doesn't belong in Chicago" Doesn't really mean anything.

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #1712
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecago View Post
Why is it that some people seem to think a building should "fit in" with the rest of the buildings? Why not let the skyline be a diverse display of different architectural styles? If skyscrapers were built on the basis of whether or not they "fit in", there would be no Chrysler Building, no John Hancock Center, no Sears Tower, and this site probably wouldn't exist!

Great skyscrapers of the past century are remembered and treasured to this day because they were different, because they stood out, because they were unique and original. If you don't like the design, I understand, but I don't understand this notion that a building shouldn't be built because it doesn't "fit in" and I think It's ridiculous. I'm looking forward to this building mostly because it's different than anything this city has ever had, not because it fits in.
Exactly. A skyline that is limited by its past can have no future.
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1713
Green Jello

Let me clarify...I DO love the Spire and I'm happy as hell that it is getting built. I'm just saying that it doesn't fit in with the existing skyline. Look at this picture for a second:

All you focus on is the Spire. It stands out from all the other buildings because of how different in style it is and its location. If they built a 2000 ft tower that was black and boxy, it would blend in more. I'm not saying for a second that I want that however. The Space Needle doesn't "blend in" with the Seattle skyline. The Eiffel Tower doesn't "blend in" with the Paris skyline. That's all I'm saying. It doesn't mean these aren't wonderful projects.

I think once it's done, the Chicago skyline will be much better for it. I guess for now it just seems odd not to be focusing on Sears or JHC.
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #1714
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Let me clarify...I DO love the Spire and I'm happy as hell that it is getting built. I'm just saying that it doesn't fit in with the existing skyline. Look at this picture for a second:

All you focus on is the Spire. It stands out from all the other buildings because of how different in style it is and its location. If they built a 2000 ft tower that was black and boxy, it would blend in more. I'm not saying for a second that I want that however. The Space Needle doesn't "blend in" with the Seattle skyline. The Eiffel Tower doesn't "blend in" with the Paris skyline. That's all I'm saying. It doesn't mean these aren't wonderful projects.

I think once it's done, the Chicago skyline will be much better for it. I guess for now it just seems odd not to be focusing on Sears or JHC.

I have to agree. I mean, its a nice tower but when you put a 2000 foot tower in the middle of classic pre-modern architecture, it just doesnt fit in.

Most of these buildings were built from the early to mid 1900's. which produced simple but elegant architecture. This building is post 21st century almost futuristic architecture, that puts Chicago's remaining classics like the Sears Tower in its shadow. But I personally think it was Caltravara's intentions from the beggining to produce a building that stood out from the rest, And this building definately accomplishes it.

Zefire liked this post
rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1715
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecago View Post

post of the week

gotta love the old 'but it doesnt fit in!' argument...
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #1716
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

That shot, however, is also missing a lot of newer skyscrapers that are either under construction or will be finished before or around the same time as the spire (Trump, Waterview, Aqua, Mandarin, etc.)
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #1717
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:

No problem with that we'll just gonna have to build some more we know that we have to build that ok
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1718
Green Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovani kun View Post
No problem with that we'll just gonna have to build some more we know that we have to build that ok
"We" ?
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1719
vexxed82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR View Post
That shot, however, is also missing a lot of newer skyscrapers that are either under construction or will be finished before or around the same time as the spire (Trump, Waterview, Aqua, Mandarin, etc.)
If we don't focus on the spire design itself and instaed focus more on its placement and composition, we can see in this one picture how beauifully it balances between the dark sears tower and dark hancock. The building itself stands out as a bright icon that will become the new difinition of the Chicago skyline. I have read almost every post in this thread and don't understand why things have to "fit in"...or what that really even means. I think the only reason it doesn't "fit in" is becasue it hasn't been built yet. I can only come back to the notion that the sears tower didn't fit in when it was first built, and I can only imagine the first skyscraper ever built didn't "fit in" either. If we don't continue to push boundaries and do different things in architecture and design the skyine and the city itself will become stagnant and projects of this magnitude and excitement will dwindle over time.
vexxed82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1720
vexxed82

[QUOTE=dwalden;13684376]Let me clarify...I DO love the Spire and I'm happy as hell that it is getting built. I'm just saying that it doesn't fit in with the existing skyline. Look at this picture for a second:

I meant to put this image in my last post
vexxed82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower