daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #1721
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

This has been posted before here, but I thought it was worth another look:

Green Jello no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #1722
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden View Post
Let me clarify...I DO love the Spire and I'm happy as hell that it is getting built. I'm just saying that it doesn't fit in with the existing skyline. Look at this picture for a second:

All you focus on is the Spire. It stands out from all the other buildings because of how different in style it is and its location. If they built a 2000 ft tower that was black and boxy, it would blend in more. I'm not saying for a second that I want that however. The Space Needle doesn't "blend in" with the Seattle skyline. The Eiffel Tower doesn't "blend in" with the Paris skyline. That's all I'm saying. It doesn't mean these aren't wonderful projects.

I think once it's done, the Chicago skyline will be much better for it. I guess for now it just seems odd not to be focusing on Sears or JHC.
Possibly.

But what do you think Sears, the Hancock and AON did when they were completed? They were scale busting modern bohemouths of their day and age. They diverted peoples attention away from classical buildings in the skyline.

It's just progress. A new day and age. Forward thinking.

If we lived in the past or didn't move forward, we have a skyline like San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerick1970 View Post
I have to agree. I mean, its a nice tower but when you put a 2000 foot tower in the middle of classic pre-modern architecture, it just doesnt fit in.

Most of these buildings were built from the early to mid 1900's. which produced simple but elegant architecture. This building is post 21st century almost futuristic architecture, that puts Chicago's remaining classics like the Sears Tower in its shadow. But I personally think it was Caltravara's intentions from the beggining to produce a building that stood out from the rest, And this building definately accomplishes it.
But when they were built they were modern for the most part. As I said before; Sears, Aon and Hancock took away attention from other buildinggs in the skyline. Modern and art-deco buildings to attention away from classical and beaux-arts structures which took attention away from the Chicago School Style.

Again---progress......

Last edited by BVictor1; June 13th, 2007 at 05:03 AM.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #1723
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

I believe its a welcome addition to the skyline, it soars right in the middle of the city coastline. Sears was on the other end so it didn't really culminate as the centerpiece of Chicago, since we had Aon and Hancock which were spaced well, and did not look small compared to Sears.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #1724
Californias rest in peace

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
This has been posted before here, but I thought it was worth another look:

Good choice
Online no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1725
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

Funny GIF but very fast
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #1726
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder13.article

June 13, 2007
DAVID ROEDER [email protected]

GREAT QUESTION: A reader called asking when the Chicago Spire will have its groundbreaking. Developer Garrett Kelleher's attorney, Thomas Murphy, said there won't be any ceremonial kickoff for the 150-story building.

A little excavation for soil testing already has gone on, Murphy said, and a contractor for the rock caissons and the foundation should be hired any day now. Murphy also said Kelleher has leased a full floor in the nearby NBC Tower for a sales center that will open in September and will overlook the property. Spire architect Santiago Calatrava is completing a model condo that will be part of the sales center, Murphy said.

"We're not into groundbreakings. We're into ribbon-cuttings," Murphy said, looking ahead to a shindig the developer could have when the building is finished. Murphy's forecast is that the ribbon-cutting will be four years from now. Maybe the Chicago Mercantile Exchange could offer a "spire futures" contract.

It will be a race to the finish in 2011, to see if the CS ofr the Freedom Tower will be completed first.

Zefire liked this post
rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #1727
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerick1970 View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder13.article

June 13, 2007
DAVID ROEDER [email protected]

GREAT QUESTION: A reader called asking when the Chicago Spire will have its groundbreaking. Developer Garrett Kelleher's attorney, Thomas Murphy, said there won't be any ceremonial kickoff for the 150-story building.

A little excavation for soil testing already has gone on, Murphy said, and a contractor for the rock caissons and the foundation should be hired any day now. Murphy also said Kelleher has leased a full floor in the nearby NBC Tower for a sales center that will open in September and will overlook the property. Spire architect Santiago Calatrava is completing a model condo that will be part of the sales center, Murphy said.

"We're not into groundbreakings. We're into ribbon-cuttings," Murphy said, looking ahead to a shindig the developer could have when the building is finished. Murphy's forecast is that the ribbon-cutting will be four years from now. Maybe the Chicago Mercantile Exchange could offer a "spire futures" contract.

It will be a race to the finish in 2011, to see if the CS ofr the Freedom Tower will be completed first.
If you can swing it, this is the way to do a high profile development, break ground, then build a sales center across the street from which prosective buyers can watch the project rise and know that it's happening.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #1728
jimmyfa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

The design change altered the twist to be consolidated towards the base of the building, which was also wider than the original plan. Additionally, the spire no longer tapered at the top, resulting in increased floor space and more total floors. It's difficult to build it but I hope you will success.

Zefire liked this post
jimmyfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1729
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Look at this picture for a second:

All you focus on is the Spire. It stands out from all the other buildings because of how different in style it is and its location.
Wrong. It stands out and draws focus because this is a promotional rendering designed to do just that. I doubt very much that the building will glow as if it were sheethed in radioactive anodized aluminum.

Besides, most people except for a few boaters will ever see the skyline from this vantage point. I'd be more concerned with how it will look from places people actually are. This is a more fair rendering of how things will look to the average person, because at least most people are able to make it out to the Adler Planetarium to get this classic postcard shot.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #1730
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

So it'd be like lake point tower, not regularly shaped yet still fits in.

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #1731
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Who cares!!! Its gonna be built, and its gonna look like a screw.

Zefire liked this post
rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1732
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

The guys and gals at SSP has already moved tp ChiSpire's status as "site prep". Watch out!
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1733
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

i really like it. well done chicago
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1734
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Few photos from 06/12/07

From SSP.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1735
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

site preparation lovely
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #1736
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

and it begins!
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #1737
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

YEsssssss

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #1738
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #1739
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

most Excellent! chicago!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #1740
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
I don't even think that they have gotten or even applied for a building permit. I believe I remember reading that they would piece meal the permit several floors at a time - I'm not sure what they pre-arranged with DCAP.
I believe that foundation permits have already been applied for.

Few photos from 06/12/07

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower