daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM   #341
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by §A8 View Post
The tracks are horrible, the trains themselves are not allowed to operate at top speed (130km/h for communter, 160km/h for intercity), but are restricted to 115km/h and 130km/h respectively purely due to track conditions.
Regional trains have been operating at 160km/h for years now. Of course, older rolling stock is still only restricted to whatever maximum speed they were built to, which is either 115km/h or 130km/h. And that only works because there is a complex timetable which requires certain types of trains to run different types of services.

The suburban timetable on the other hand does not allocate a train type to a service, so common sense suggests that you base your timetable around the slowest train in the fleet.

VicSig lists the top speeds of suburban trains as follows:
Comeng: 115 km/h
Hitachi: 112.5 km/h (70 mph)
Siemens: 130 km/h
Xtrapolis: 130 km/h

Both Siemens and Xtrapolis trains have speed restrictions relating to the trains themselves and not track condition. Melbourne's stations are quite close anyway - sit on a train with a GPS and you'll notice on most of the network, a train will rarely exceed 80km/h.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #342
Jardoga

Likes (Received): 4

lol koo wee rup' on the second last photo. what a wierd name.
Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #343
davo499

Likes (Received): 73

As is Nar Nar Goon

Melbourne may seem to have a fairly good freeway network, and the roads are good. There are just gaps though. The completion of the Ring Road to the Eastern Freeway/Eastlink is essential. The Ring Road itself is constantly banked up for most stretches each day. The Eastern Freeway comes to a crawl as it enters the city, dumping all traffic on two small, extremely busy roads. The Monash Freeway is currently a joke, it's 80 km/h for the most part due to construction and widening, but there is no chance of that being finished for a fair while. Eastlink is an amazing piece of road, but for the cost of a $10 return trip a day, so it should.

And dont get me started on the speed limits....

Last edited by davo499; October 9th, 2008 at 06:07 PM.
davo499 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #344
invincible
Lurker

Quote:
The completion of the Ring Road to the Eastern Freeway/Eastlink is essential.
Why?

The small number of people who have to travel between the northern and eastern suburbs to work deserve to be stuck in traffic, to be honest. I also can't really say that it's really needed by industry - the Cragieburn and Deer Park bypasses connect the Ring Road to the freeways that lead to Adelaide and Sydney.

Eastlink today is already underperforming when it comes to traffic levels... the last thing we need is another huge road which only serves a small number of people. At least Eastlink runs parallel to congested major roads (Springvale and Stud Rd).

By the way, it's also possible to just build regular roads. The Springvale and Dandenong Bypasses are just normal roads with traffic lights and still do the job.
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #345
davo499

If Eastlink wasn't tolled, i doubt it would be underperforming, it's just an expensice piece of road to use.

I understand the majority of Eastern Melbourne would travel into the city more then anywhere else, but considering the largest portion of suburban Melbourne lies to the East and South East, why wouldnt Eastern-Ring Road connection make sense? People from those areas also travel to Sydney and Adelaide (as well as a to a number of places within Melbourne, eg Airport). It would definately be expensive and consist of tunnel, leading to very likely tolling.

Saying that though, a solution to the Eastern Fwy dumping traffic onto Hoddle/Alexandra is a much bigger issue at the moment.
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #346
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

i'd use it to get to the airport every time.
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #347
invincible
Lurker

... because people need to drive to the airport, Sydney or Adelaide every day. Think about how that justifies, as you already acknowledge, an extremely expensive road tunnel.

Freeways are not meant to be built just to make your drive a bit easier four times a year. Building freeways to cater for people's daily commute to work is already of questionable value.

If you drive, especially during peak hours, you should expect to get stuck in traffic. It's just something you have to live with and it gets a little bit of economics working where people are encouraged to reconsider their method of commuting. For the same reason, railway passengers shouldn't complain when they can't get a seat on the train and have to stand instead.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #348
davo499

With that reasoning, the entire ring road must be redundant.

True people don't need to drive to Sydney and Adelaide every day, that wasn't my main point. What an eastern link would do, is allow people from greensborough area, or in fact a decent amount of middle northeast Melbourne, commute quickly to the east for whatever reason. This could be for work, or visiting family, in Ringwood/Knox/Nunawading or surrounds. The same goes for the reverse direction too.
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #349
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

Gateway Bridge Duplication

Some photos of progress on the second bridge. Once completed, this will be an impressive pair of bridges.

From the northbound lane:

From the south bank of the Brisbane River:

marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #350
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Impressive. Will the bridge be puropsed more for the outcoming/incopming city traffic, or more for the inner city connections?
Last two pictures are especially fine.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #351
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I'm pretty sure the bridge is more of a bypass. It's quite far from Brisbane's city centre.

You can see it in this picture I found on Google Images. The bridge is part of the Gateway Motorway, that passes over the Brisbane River near the airport.

image hosted on flickr
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #352
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Citylink in Melbourne

image hosted on flickr

By Ninoxowl on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

By Adiksapic on Flickr

CityLink goes over the Bolte Bridge to connect with the M1
image hosted on flickr

By Looking_glass

image hosted on flickr

By Lushake

The Westgate Bridge, carrying the M1
image hosted on flickr

Chris&steve

image hosted on flickr

Burento

Monash Fwy heading towards Melbourne
image hosted on flickr

Hopkinsii

The East-bound lanes (except for one) of the Monash Fwy are using the Burnley tunnel - the west bound lanes are above ground but soon enough go underground, using the domain tunnel.
image hosted on flickr

Chris&Steve

Domain Tunnel Portal
image hosted on flickr

Original_mikZ

image hosted on flickr

Mary_James

Burnley Tunnel
image hosted on flickr

The two tunnels meet up and form the Westgate fwy in South Melbourne
image hosted on flickr

Wolfcat_aus
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #353
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

The bridge and corresponding motorway act like a ring road around the east of the city. It handles cross city traffic from the north to/from the east, south-east and south-west. It also handles cross-river traffic, particularly serving the industrial area around the port and airport.

When completed the motorway is expected to be 6 lanes in each direction over the bridge. The project website is: http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au/asp/index.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Impressive. Will the bridge be puropsed more for the outcoming/incopming city traffic, or more for the inner city connections?
Last two pictures are especially fine.
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #354
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

I thought I might post a typical example of why Sydney is a terrible place for a road enthusiast to live. Here are a couple of pictures (taken from www.ozroads.com.au, although hopefully I can borrow my dad's car sometime and take some of my own) of the Pacific Highway in Chatswood, about fifteen minutes away from where I live, and also about fifteen minutes away from the centre of Sydney. This road is important enough to be signed as Metroad route 1, and it is the most direct through route between Sydney and the towns and cities to the north. The speed limit along this particular section of road is 60 km/h.

Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #355
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244377

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
image hosted on flickr
Awesome pics - awesome highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
From the south bank of the Brisbane River:

going to be great bridge
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #356
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Pacific Highway

Can someone please tell me, between New England Hwy near Newcastle and Byron Bay, which sections of this highway (between towns) is built to dual carriageway standard, which sections are currently being built to dual carriageway and which sections have no plans over next 5 or so years?

I know that between Byron Bay and Gold Coast it is dual carriageway since I travled on last year.

Any pictures also?
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #357
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

See http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructi...ml?hlid=pachwy for the current status.
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #358
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
Pacific Highway

Can someone please tell me, between New England Hwy near Newcastle and Byron Bay, which sections of this highway (between towns) is built to dual carriageway standard, which sections are currently being built to dual carriageway and which sections have no plans over next 5 or so years?

I know that between Byron Bay and Gold Coast it is dual carriageway since I travled on last year.

Any pictures also?
The link Pino posted is the best place to find such information. There are many isolated sections of dual carriageway / motorway standard highway along the route, but none of them actually connect to any other high standard roads, and won't until the "Banora Point Upgrade" and "F3 Freeway to Raymond Terrace" sections are completed. I do know that the government is hoping to have a motorway from the F3 near Newcastle to the M1 near Tweed Heads by 2017.

Oh, and by the way, the section north of Byron Bay is not yet completed - the Banora Point Upgrade is still in the planning phase, and as such the road through Banora Point features the only remaining traffic light between Brisbane and Byron Bay.
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #359
Robosteve

Does anybody know why, in Melbourne, neither the M3 nor the M420 northbound allow for right turns onto the M1? It seems to me like this would make it very difficult to travel east from the Mornington Peninsula. Melbourne usually has very good interchanges, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why travellers from Frankston are expected to exit the M3 and drive through Dandenong if they wish to go east.
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #360
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

I think the idea is that traffic from the Morington Pen would traverse eastbound to get on the M1 around Berwick.
One could argue that if you want to go east why would you take the M3 all the way up to Dandenong only to do a backtrack southeast.
If an extra eastbound link was needed I would say that the M420/M1 interchange would be more needed than at the M3/M1 interchange
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads