daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #361
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

The M3/M1 interchange in Mulgrave orginally never intended to be full diamond interchange, nor 3/4 diamond interchange. Originally, you could transfer b/w fwys Melbourne-Frankston and Ringwood-Dandenong, but not Ringwood-Melbourne nor Dandenong, Frankston; check out melways from 5 or 10 years ago.

Melbourne-Ringwood link only added in for local political convenience.

It's a similar story with M1/M420 interchange.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #362
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
If an extra eastbound link was needed I would say that the M420/M1 interchange would be more needed than at the M3/M1 interchange
I agree, but it should be coupled with a motorway standard link between the A780 and the M3. Alternatively, Thompsons Road should be duplicated and extended east, to provide a connection between the M3 north of Frankston and the M1 Pakenham Bypass. Currently, I don't see that there is an easy route between Frankston and Pakenham that doesn't involve traveling through the middle of an urban area - there certainly isn't a numbered route with that function.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #363
Robosteve

I took over 200 pictures today which will take a while to sort out, so I'm just going to post a few for now before I go to bed. Here are a few of my favourite pictures of the Western Distributor (although I've taken more than a hundred pictures of this road alone):

1. The Western Distributor flyovers through Darling Harbour, seen from the Pyrmont Bridge

[IMG]http://i43.************/2n1dxky.jpg[/IMG]

2. The north-easternmost section of the road, carrying traffic onto the Harbour Bridge

[IMG]http://i43.************/33d819z.jpg[/IMG]

3. Westbound flyovers, seen from the Druitt Street pedestrian bridge

[IMG]http://i44.************/343svgh.jpg[/IMG]

4. Main eastbound carriageway, carrying traffic towards the CBD and Harbour Bridge

[IMG]http://i39.************/o88600.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Robosteve; January 29th, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #364
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That's quite urban, I like it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #365
Robosteve

Some more pictures of the Western Distributor, mostly taken from underneath it:

1. I love the way the freeway passes right over the commercial area of Darling Harbour; when it's not University holidays I walk under here five days each week and admire these flyovers just about every day

[IMG]http://i39.************/27ysn4j.jpg[/IMG]

2. Restaurant patrons eat their food under the highway (there are several places to eat here)

[IMG]http://i41.************/9a4s3n.jpg[/IMG]

3. The eastbound flyover passes over some of the open space in Darling Harbour

[IMG]http://i42.************/30ti8eb.jpg[/IMG]

4. From left to right: the westbound Fig Street off-ramp, the westbound Druitt Street on-ramp and the eastbound Bathurst Street off-ramp

[IMG]http://i40.************/e6vdag.jpg[/IMG]

5. The main westbound flyover and the Fig Street off-ramp separating from each other

[IMG]http://i42.************/2i0enmr.jpg[/IMG]

6. The westbound Druitt Street on-ramp passes over the eastbound Bathurst Street off-ramp (which now also leads into the Cross City Tunnel), creating a double-decker effect

[IMG]http://i43.************/jjo6mf.jpg[/IMG]

7+8. The ramp stub for the eastbound Druitt street off-ramp, which was never built and probably never will be now that the IMAX is in the way

[IMG]http://i39.************/2qd1ulw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/2gwb5no.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM   #366
Yogiew

Likes (Received): 0

Brisbane Freeways/Motorways

Hello

I was looking and this fourm and I joined to comment on the Brisbane Freeway System.

I live in the western suburbs of brisbane and getting to the city in peak hour is Hell. I do not drive, I catch buses, but that is another topic.

Ipswich Motorway it Hell, and traffic backed up for kilometers in morning and afternoon peak, due to bad merges, road works and lack of service roads. And city end of the motorway end's into road, like most and it is a slow 11.5 kilometer trip in to the city.

Centenary Highway / Western Freeway is a great freeway when it is moving. I want to make the comment the city end of the freeway end's in Double Roundabouts with traffic lights in peak hours.

Who in the world ends one of there major freeways with two roundabouts. Then on to miltion road, which moves ok, but the freeway is backed up 3-7 kilometers, due to the roundabouts.

The afternoon it is back up at the Ipswich motorway interchange, due to roadworks and the roundabout. The roadworks are to remove the roundabout to a interchange system.

The Gateway Motorway has accident eveyday, so is a constant traffic jam.

Riverside Expressway (City Section) / South East Freeway (Southbank to Springwood) / Pacific Motorway (From Springwood), is full, it cannot take much more traffic, the captain cook brigde, which is the link between the South East Freeway and the Riverside Expressway is the second busiest bridge in australia, about 120 000 cars a day.

From 2007 the government after 20 years of nothing said, we must build more roads. It a mad house currently as project are happening everywhere, adding the travel time.

I have said my peace, if you would like photos, just reply and I will post some up.

Thanks
Yogiew
Yogiew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:25 PM   #367
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Hi Yogiew,

do you support the Goodna bypass?
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM   #368
Yogiew

Hi

No I do not support the goodna bypass, as just moves traffic from one section of the motorway to another, it is not solve the problem.

Or the motorway from ipswich motorway to the ipswich motorway. I know a lot of people who use the motorway and the bypass is stupid.

We really need a complete Brisbane by pass, Motorway that connects the Bruce Highway, Warrego Highway, Cunningham Highway and the Pacific Motorway together, without going thought the city.

Bye.
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM   #369
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiew View Post
Hello

I was looking and this fourm and I joined to comment on the Brisbane Freeway System.

I live in the western suburbs of brisbane and getting to the city in peak hour is Hell. I do not drive, I catch buses, but that is another topic.

Ipswich Motorway it Hell, and traffic backed up for kilometers in morning and afternoon peak, due to bad merges, road works and lack of service roads. And city end of the motorway end's into road, like most and it is a slow 11.5 kilometer trip in to the city.

Centenary Highway / Western Freeway is a great freeway when it is moving. I want to make the comment the city end of the freeway end's in Double Roundabouts with traffic lights in peak hours.

Who in the world ends one of there major freeways with two roundabouts. Then on to miltion road, which moves ok, but the freeway is backed up 3-7 kilometers, due to the roundabouts.

The afternoon it is back up at the Ipswich motorway interchange, due to roadworks and the roundabout. The roadworks are to remove the roundabout to a interchange system.

The Gateway Motorway has accident eveyday, so is a constant traffic jam.

Riverside Expressway (City Section) / South East Freeway (Southbank to Springwood) / Pacific Motorway (From Springwood), is full, it cannot take much more traffic, the captain cook brigde, which is the link between the South East Freeway and the Riverside Expressway is the second busiest bridge in australia, about 120 000 cars a day.

From 2007 the government after 20 years of nothing said, we must build more roads. It a mad house currently as project are happening everywhere, adding the travel time.

I have said my peace, if you would like photos, just reply and I will post some up.

Thanks
Yogiew
What kind of interchange is it becoming?. If it's a standard diamond with traffic lights, I bet you will think back in sadness at the removal of the roundabouts. Wherever roundabouts have been converted to lights the traffic has become much worse.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM   #370
Yogiew

Hello Scotdaliney

The currently the roundabout is built above Ipswich motorway and the Centenary Highway is roundabout with the exits being onramps to the motorway and offramps being entery to the roundabout. The roundabout is big it has 2 bridge crossings of the motorway below the gap between is about 300 meters between the two bridges or the roundabout.

It is beening replaced with an proper off and on ramp system with no stopping on either motorway/highway.

Bye
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:29 PM   #371
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Basically, a completely free-flowing interchange (see map) - an incomplete turbine interchange with one cloverleaf ramp.

More info here.

Also, nice pics, Steve - particularly the one with the double-decker effect. I remember eating below the viaduct in the second pic (iirc) nearly a decade ago, and being surprised by its height and its integration with the area.

Last edited by deranged; January 31st, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:56 PM   #372
Robosteve

Driving video: Anzac Bridge / Western Distributor / Sydney Harbour Bridge

Length: 6.9 km / 7:48 (average speed 53 km/h)
Date: Saturday, 31st January, 2009
Time: 23:30 (approx.)

Route:

[IMG]http://i41.************/2a9d6hu.png[/IMG]

There were some roadworks on the Harbour Bridge tonight, so the left lane was closed and there was a 40 km/h speed limit in place (but everybody was doing 50-60 anyway). Also, the quality is only 320x240 and 15 frames per second, which I can't really do much about until I get a bigger SD card.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM   #373
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Nice video Robosteve! 15 fps is good enough to my surprise. It's the first time I've seen lane numbering, what's it used for? Are the Harbour Bridge lanes always distributed in the 4+2 manner?
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM   #374
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Nice video Robosteve! 15 fps is good enough to my surprise. It's the first time I've seen lane numbering, what's it used for? Are the Harbour Bridge lanes always distributed in the 4+2 manner?
I'm not entirely certain of the reason for numbering the lanes on the bridge, perhaps it's done for administrative reasons. There are a total of eight lanes; lanes 1 through 6 were opened in 1932 when the bridge was completed, while lanes 7 and 8 were later built on space that was originally planned for a railway line, and opened in 1958.

The first six lanes are nearly always used as 4+2, but they switch direction depending on the time of day. In the morning, there are four southbound lanes, and in the afternoon/evening there are four northbound lanes. It's theoretically possible for them to use any configuration, though; I think they use 5+1 sometimes if traffic volumes warrant it, and before lane 7 was turned into a 24 hour bus lane in 1994 they would sometimes use 6+0.

Lanes 7 and 8 serve a completely different purpose to the rest of the bridge; lane 7 is a 24 hour southbound bus lane and lane 8 leads onto the Cahill Expressway.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #375
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Cool video; I wish there was some music too.
I tried to put some in; see the post I'm about to make in the Roadside rest area for an explanation.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #376
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Cool video; I wish there was some music too.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:47 AM   #377
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Driving video: Anzac Bridge / Western Distributor / Sydney Harbour Bridge

Length: 6.9 km / 7:48 (average speed 53 km/h)
Date: Saturday, 31st January, 2009
Time: 23:30 (approx.)

Route:

[IMG]http://i41.************/2a9d6hu.png[/IMG]

There were some roadworks on the Harbour Bridge tonight, so the left lane was closed and there was a 40 km/h speed limit in place (but everybody was doing 50-60 anyway). Also, the quality is only 320x240 and 15 frames per second, which I can't really do much about until I get a bigger SD card.
This should give people a good idea of the route you took. I love the Anzac bridge, it's better than the Sydney Harbour Bridge IMO. The Western Distributor gives some great views too.

I love how many tunnels Sydney has under it's CBD as well. Is there a big underground interchange between the Eastern Distributor and the Cross City tunnel?
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM   #378
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Is there a big underground interchange between the Eastern Distributor and the Cross City tunnel?
A partial one; only three turning movements are possible. To go from north to east, you need to take the William Street exit, and similar surface movements are required for travel between south and east. North and west movement isn't provided for because the Western Distributor plays that role, so it would be redundant.

Here is what the interchange looks like:

And here is a map of the entire tunnel:

For more information, see www.crosscity.com.au.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM   #379
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Great video Robosteve.
It's amazing that mish-mash at the southern end of the SHB. Hopefully they will go electronic there at some stage and get a more sensible layout.

Great to see you contributing so much here
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM   #380
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Great video Robosteve.
It's amazing that mish-mash at the southern end of the SHB. Hopefully they will go electronic there at some stage and get a more sensible layout.
It's been electronic for a few weeks now, I don't know why it still looks like that.

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads