daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #481
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; December 10th, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #482
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks for the pictures! I've never been to WA before, so it's interesting to see what their roads look like.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #483
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Fantastic set of pictures, Robosteve. Thanks for sharing!

Nice shots also, Lijman.

deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #484
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Border between Western and South Australia on the Eyre Hwy.

Last edited by Verso; March 16th, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #485
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Closest thing we have to an international border crossing.

In case anyone is wondering, you're not allowed to take things like fresh fruit across state borders (or into the country) in case they are carrying a plant disease or parasite.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #486
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

The Sea Cliff Bridge (south of Sydney, near Wollongong) is quite cool.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Kwinana Freeway in Perth, Western Australia

image hosted on flickr

Old March 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #487
Robosteve

Driving video: M2 Motorway, Sydney (including Lane Cove Tunnel)
Falcon Street, North Sydney to Westlink M7, Baulkham Hills

Length: 27.9 km / 9:56 @ 1.8x (average actual speed 94 km/h, average apparent speed 169 km/h)
Date: Saturday, 7th March, 2009
Time: 15:30 (approx.)

Route:

Notes:

0:05 - This onramp was a recent addition to the Warringah Freeway, built as part of the Lane Cove Tunnel project. It is the only onramp in Sydney which provides access to an otherwise untolled freeway, but itself is tolled.

0:50 - This is where the Warringah Freeway becomes the Gore Hill Freeway. The Gore Hill Freeway was widened to 2x3 as part of the Lane Cove Tunnel project.

1:50 - Speed cameras in the Lane Cove Tunnel ensure that traffic stays below 80 km/h.

3:40 - The start of the M2 motorway.

4:30 - While I am travelling 115 km/h, another driver decides to change lanes in front of me at 90 km/h.

5:15 - Since the other driver was not about to move across, I decide to overtake on the left.

5:35 - This section of road used to be 2x2. It is now 3+2, with a limit of 80 km/h (reducing to 70 for the tunnel) for us and 100 km/h in the other direction.

5:55 - Speed camera; everybody slows to 70 km/h.

6:00 - The M2 tunnel, which has lane changing prohibited for some reason.

6:15 - Overhead viaduct for buses, which becomes a bus lane in each direction on the motorway.

6:25 - Finally, a 100 km/h speed limit.

7:35 - MR7 traffic wanting the new M7 motorway merges with the M2 here. For a short while, the M2 is signed as MR2/M7 duplex.

8:20 - Again, thanks to the moronic drivers around here, I must overtake on the left. (The right lane is a bus lane.)

8:55 - Speed limit drops to 90 km/h.

9:10 - Look to the left, and you will see a bus stop. On a motorway.

9:45 - This exit used to be the end of the motorway, dumping traffic onto Old Windsor Road or Abbott Road.

9:50 - Now, the M2 simply becomes the M7.

9:55 - The speed limit on the M7 is 100 km/h. You can see the electronic toll collection point.
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #488
Cacodemon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

cool! I enjoy your vids and pics. Keep em coming.

Melbourne has some nice and also some horrendous freeways. Has anyone seen the Hume highway between Craigieburn and Wallan? Good grief what a disaster. Uneven, narrow pavement with ugly, rough patched up surface and at-grade intersections galore. Definately the worst freeway in Melbourne (if not the country), why it wasnt fixed as part of the Craigieburn bypass project is beyond me.

Here is part of the M1 upgrade project in Melbourne
Cacodemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #489
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; December 10th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #490
Cacodemon
BANNED

Yeah I know, I drove thru there the other day. Interchange aside, that section of road is absolutely horrible, beyond belief for what is supposed to be a major interstate highway. Even the line markings are faded or patched over.

Hopefully the road will be upgraded quicksmart, but nothing's concrete yet.

The section of the Calder between the Melton Highway and the Thunderdome is equally as bad. Besides the 80kmh speed limit, no shoulders and at grade intersections with MAJOR roads, the epic bus stop fails along that "freeway" are stunning.

Besides these 2, Melbourne's got a nice network.

Good to see the Ring Road being upgraded aswell, but $2.25 billion to add a lane? That's the cost of the entire Eastlink Why is it so expensive?
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #491
Robosteve

Thanks for the pic of the M1 upgrade, it looks like it'll be really nice when it's completed. The Western Distributor here has a few similar weaves that could do with being eliminated, but I think we can file that one in the list of projects that will never happen, alongside the M4 east, the F6 and a motorway across Middle Harbour. I want to make a road trip to Melbourne when I have the time and my own car; it's probably better that I wait so that I can drive the upgraded M1 and the new Geelong Ring Road and Deer Park Bypass.

One thing I don't understand about Melbourne's roads is why they are planning an Outer Western Ring Road before completing the inner one. Surely it's better to extend the M80 to connect to the M3 before building a second ring?

On the subject of Melbourne's ring road, I personally would like to see the ring extended via the Mornington Peninsula freeway corridor all the way to Sorrento, and then extended via a tunnel to connect with the new Geelong Ring Road, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacodemon View Post
Melbourne has some nice and also some horrendous freeways. Has anyone seen the Hume highway between Craigieburn and Wallan? Good grief what a disaster. Uneven, narrow pavement with ugly, rough patched up surface and at-grade intersections galore. Definately the worst freeway in Melbourne (if not the country), why it wasnt fixed as part of the Craigieburn bypass project is beyond me.
Well, at least Victoria has 2x2 all the way from Melbourne to the NSW border. The road on our side still has some 1+1 sections, although these will be duplicated by 2012. Also, Sydney only has two of four major rural routes connected directly onto its urban freeway network; Melbourne has four - soon to be five, when the Deer Park Bypass is finished.

It seems like the price Melbourne pays for having everything connected together properly is "freeways" which aren't really freeways. Generally, rural freeways in NSW have very good pavement and properly grade separated intersections; if they don't, they aren't called freeways.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #492
Cacodemon
BANNED

and some pics of the M1 upgrade:

Old March 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #493
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
The Sea Cliff Bridge (south of Sydney, near Wollongong) is quite cool.
An amazing bridge! How long is it? Why was it built? I'd imagine a tunnel would have been easier and cheaper.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #494
Robosteve

Thanks for the pics, Cacodemon! One thing I really like about Melbourne is its wide urban freeways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
An amazing bridge! How long is it? Why was it built? I'd imagine a tunnel would have been easier and cheaper.
The old road was notorious for rock falls, so they built a new one. It's 455 metres long.

More info: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructi...ravedrive.html

Also, here is the preferred route of the proposed Gerringong to Bomaderry Princes Highway upgrade. This would provide continuous, free flowing 2x2 from the southern part of Albion Park Rail to Bomaderry - and, if they ever build the Albion Park Rail bypass, all the way to Heathcote in the north. The pink option would be a cutting; the green one would be a tunnel.

Source: http://maunsell.sitebuilder.com.au/c...st/asset_id/33
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #495
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
A tunnel through what? (awesome viaduct indeed, btw!)

Great vid again, Robosteve. If there's a slowpoke in front of you, get closer and turn on your right indicator. If that doesn't help, flash.
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #496
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Flashing is considered aggressive over here
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #497
Verso
Islander

And overtaking-lane hogging is considered rude here.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #498
Robosteve

Driving video: F6 Southern Freeway, Wollongong (southbound)
Mount Ousley Road, Mount Ousley to Princes Highway, Albion Park Rail

Length: 21.1 km / 10:00 @ 1.3x (average actual speed 97 km/h, average apparent speed 127 km/h)
Date: Sunday, 8th March 2009
Time: 15:00 (approx.)

Route:

Notes:

0:05 - Descending on Mount Ousley Road, we can see a safety ramp on the left for use when brakes fail on trucks (there are a lot of trucks which use this road).

0:15 - We are now on the F6 freeway.

0:35 - Speed camera on the left (speed limit 80 km/h).

1:05 - Merging with traffic from the Northern Distributor, a major arterial route through the northern suburbs of Wollongong.

1:10 - Speed limit 90 km/h.

1:20 - This part of the freeway serves as a bypass of Wollongong CBD.

2:10 - Speed limit 100 km/h, we are now heading into Wollongong's southern suburbs.

2:50 - Nice wide median.

4:55 - Reassurance sign for Nowra, which is strange because there are a few other major towns between here and Nowra.

7:50 - Freeway ends in 1 km.

7:55 - Unusually large shoulder on the right. I think they've paved what will eventually become the start of the Albion Park Rail bypass here.

8:20 - End freeway. You can see the carriageways diverging, marking the start of the land reserve for the Albion Park Rail bypass which would provide a freeway standard road all the way to Kiama.

8:40 - Signage for another grade separated junction, even though we are no longer technically on a freeway.

9:10 - The junction itself. This is a fairly new junction to provide access to a new residential development.

9:30 - Speed limit 70 km/h, entering Albion Park Rail.

9:40 - NR1/NR48 intersection on the right. This can operate as either a roundabout or a set of traffic lights, but we continue on a slip road which bypasses it.

9:55 - Albion Park Rail.

Last edited by Robosteve; March 27th, 2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #499
festiboi

Likes (Received): 4

Thanks for the videos Robosteve. That's a lot of work you did and it's fun feeling like being on the road with you. Well done! Is that a Holden Barina that you have? Off topic, I had one here in the States (aka Chevy Aveo, but same exact car) and it was always falling apart. Hope you had better luck with yours
festiboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #500
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
Thanks for the videos Robosteve. That's a lot of work you did and it's fun feeling like being on the road with you. Well done! Is that a Holden Barina that you have? Off topic, I had one here in the States (aka Chevy Aveo, but same exact car) and it was always falling apart. Hope you had better luck with yours
It doesn't feel like a lot of work at all. I love driving.

And that's my dad's car, but yes it is a Holden Barina, and so far it seems to be holding up just fine.

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads