daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM   #541
matty89

Likes (Received): 4

Ipswich Motorway Upgrade
Construction began early 2009 and scheduled for 2012
Budget: $1billion
Today - 4th August 2009

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
matty89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM   #542
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 28

Awesome looking pictures! So any new motorways or upgrades in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney?
timmy- brissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM   #543
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

A time lapse of some guys driving around the Sydney Orbital.

They start just West of the Lane Cove tunnel, and head in an clockwise direction.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM   #544
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Brisbane to the Gold Coast in 4:03 minutes (possibly a world record!)

Old September 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #545
Gumby

Likes (Received): 4

They now have live traffic on google maps for sydney brisbane and Melbourne
Gumby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #546
Otto von Bismarck

Likes (Received): 1

Deer park is nicely done
Otto von Bismarck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #547
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Hi guys

Used to live in Oz and am wondering what the status is with the Melb-Syd and Syd-Brissy freeway/duplication projects. I can't find much info on the latest developments on the web.

My impression is that things are currently:

- Melb-Syd VIC section: Freeway complete
- Melb-Syd NSW section: Some recent duplication projects completed. A handful remain. However no plan to ever make the full route a motorway.
- Brissy-Syd QLD setion: Freeway complete.
- Brissy-Syd NSW section: Little progress between Newcastle and the border. Unclear whether this will just be duplication or a full freeway, on a new alignment.

Will there ever be an Adelaide-Melbourne freeway?
The only reason the NSW section of the Sydney-Melbourne highway won't be a freeway is a difference in freeway definition between NSW and VIC. Vicroads will call a high speed dual carriageway a freeway even if it has a few at-grade local intersections, but the RTA won't call it a freeway unless it's completely grade-separated (and even then, there are some cases where they don't call it a freeway because it was part of an abandoned project - Burns Bay Road is the most amusing example of this, a section of 2x2 freeway with some very nicely built junctions that serves as little more than a local access road).

As I understand it, Sydney and Melbourne will be connected with freeway by the end of 2012, and I think the target for Sydney to Brisbane is 2017. There are no definite plans for other connections, but since a lot of the Sydney to Adelaide route is shared with the Sydney to Melbourne route, the next one to be completed after that will probably be either Sydney to Adelaide or Melbourne to Adelaide. The only question, to me, is whether or not they'll take advantage of the already-completed South East Freeway in Adelaide and upgrade B12 instead of A20 for the Sydney to Adelaide link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
image hosted on flickr
Typical Australian merge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
This intersection looks kind of Japanese. I didn't know they'd started building these tunnels already, but I'm glad to hear they have. Brisbane is a bit of a mess, aside from the M1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
This is a much needed link in Brisbane, I think. At the moment the Western Freeway just stops at a roundabout, some way away from the CBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy- brissy View Post
Awesome looking pictures! So any new motorways or upgrades in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney?
Unfortunately there's nothing much going on in Sydney, apart from some widening projects (on the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway and the Hume Highway in particular). They've cancelled any projects that might actually be useful to Sydney's traffic problems, such as the M4 East, and are focusing on building a bypass that has an odd sort of S-shape because they're trying to fit it around existing freeways built as part of a radial plan that has since been abandoned.

Adelaide has the Northern Expressway and South Road upgrade projects under construction, and the proposed Northern Connector to look forward to in the future. This will provide an uninterrupted link from the A20 to the M2, bypassing Adelaide's CBD to the west and also connecting directly onto the Port River Expressway. It also means that the M1 will be the only freeway in Adelaide not connected to the rest, which is unfortunate as the M1 is the main gateway to Melbourne.

Personally, I'd like to see a southern bypass of Adelaide linking the M1 to the M2 (and thence to the Port River Expressway via South Road), so that you don't have trucks from the M1 cluttering up the CBD to get to Port Adelaide, but I haven't seen any plans for anything like this to be built, and it would also be quite expensive and require extensive landscaping and/or tunneling. I also remember reading somewhere about plans for an eastern bypass of Adelaide heading north from about Murray Bridge to connect with the A32 north of Gawler, but I have no idea how soon this is supposed to be built.

Finally, Perth had the New Perth Bunbury Highway opened last month. This is essentially a freeway grade extension of the Kwinana Freeway all the way south to Bunbury. They also have the Reid Highway extension under construction, which will connect it seamlessly with the Roe Highway to create an eastern ring road of Perth, and also a couple of upgrades to the Roe Highway itself in planning, including an extension to Stock Road to bypass the Leach Highway for trucks coming from the southeast, east and northeast.

Now that I've got those responses out of the way, I'm hoping to get back into making videos and taking pictures of some roads in and around Sydney again. I'm thinking about tackling the F3 next - it's a long one, but that's half the fun.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #548
Robosteve

Interesting concept posted in the Australian forum by Winston. He made a map of Sydney's main roads to look like a railway map:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #549
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Sydney, 1957.

image hosted on flickr
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #550
BIK

Likes (Received): 66

Wow the trains are still the same!
BIK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #551
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIK View Post
Wow the trains are still the same!
That looks nothing like today's CityRail trains.
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM   #552
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Those are the old 'Red Rattlers' - and I think BIK was being sarcastic

It was mentioned in the Australian Freeways part of Ozscrapers that the picture is of the old Pacific highway which leads into the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I love the old double-decker buses - if only they were still around.
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM   #553
BIK

Likes (Received): 66

I was being sarcastic. But todays trains do not look much newer, some of them anyway.
BIK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #554
rohjoe

Likes (Received): 12

Westgate Fwy, Melbourne

Recent aerial of upgraded Montague St interchange courtesy of nearmap.com

rohjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Looks great. Asphalt looks much better than concrete imo. Concrete always gives me a "decayed" feeling, especially after a couple of years. Asphalt looks much better in urban areas, plus it reduces noise.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #556
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

The roads underneath are so confusing. It took me quite a while to get from the Docklands Hwy onto the M1 heading West. So many lanes and traffic lights.

It's worth noting that NearMap has launched in Australia, I'm not sure if it's available in other countries or if it's just an Australian thing though.

Anyway, it's like Google Maps & Google Earth, except it's updated monthly, which is great for keeping track of developments. This was posted in Ozscrapers about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS-80 View Post
NearMap just launched - they take their own aerial images of cities and then put them online like Google Maps. The difference is they're going to take new pictures every month. Currently they cover Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, the north half of Sydney, with the Gold Coast and Geelong going up soon - see their twitter account for updates. They use OpenStreetMap for the street map, so when there's an error you can fix it yourself.

The detail is amazingly clear - you can even make out which way railway points are set. Their forum already has some interesting finds. Mods - I wasn't sure which OZScrapers subforum to put this in, feel free to move it to another one.

Last edited by city_thing; November 17th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #557
TRS-80

Likes (Received): 393

NearMap's ultimate plan is to cover 700 cities worldwide, all updated monthly. Dunno how long it'll take for them to get there though.
TRS-80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #558
HM2701

Likes (Received): 0

Gold Coast area has now been done, and clearly shows the Tugun Bypass.
HM2701 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #559
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

All of Sydney, except for the very south of the Sydney Basin, is covered now as well.
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #560
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

Pacific Hwy Upgrade

The Pacific Hwy Upgrade refers to the eventual duplication of the Pacific Hwy (Hwy 1) between Sydney and Brisbane.

I've posted fresh pictures and details from 3 stages in the Australian (OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation) forum:

1. Ballina Bypass
2. Karuah to Buladelah
3. Bonville Upgrade

Mark.
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads