daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #601
Revenant
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Some pics from my trip Melbourne to Renmark

Mildura, Victoria

More or less a desert in the northwestern most corner of Victoria

Typical scene in Mildura from the highway...basically just Wineries and citrus plantations as far as the eye can see

South Australian Border - You can't bring certain food products into the state so they check your car

Melbourne

Revenant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:48 PM   #602
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; March 22nd, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM   #603
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

The Sydney-Newcastle Freeway is an amazing bit of engineering and travels through some spectacular scenery! Hard to believe sometimes that a city of nearly five million souls has such extensive dense and rugged bushland right on its doorstep.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #604
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; December 10th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:21 AM   #605
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6456

Clem7, Inner City Bypass, & Bowen Bridge Road interchange (Brisbane)

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matyiii...n/photostream/
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:24 AM   #606
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6456

Bradfield Highway (Brisbane)

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/obliter...n/photostream/
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Burke Developmental Road, QLD

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #608
Nuclear Winter
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

^ Does that mean no fuel for 540km... in other words the nearest village is 540 kms away Wow that's pretty much the entire distance across most European countries!
Nuclear Winter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #609
sotonsi

Australia is a very big place, with lots of empty space in parts of the interior.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Not only the interior, even 100 km away from the major metropolises are sparsely populated compared to Europe. For example in New South Wales, the most populous Australian state, the biggest non-coastal city is Wagga Wagga with only 56,000 inhabitants!
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #611
CairnsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Winter View Post
^ Does that mean no fuel for 540km... in other words the nearest village is 540 kms away Wow that's pretty much the entire distance across most European countries!
Cape York, which more or less starts immediately north of my town Cairns is bigger than the UK. It's largest settlement is Thursday Island with 2700 people. There are no more than about 20K people in the entire area and it isn't even the outback.
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #612
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Some of the most remote areas in the world within the interior of Australia.

Great pictures everyone! I like the contrast from a high capacity urban freeway to an "unsealed" dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #613
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They have Opal fuel in remote areas of Australia to prevent petrol sniffing by indigenous Australians. (they sniff petrol to get high). Diesel or Opal doesn't have this problem.
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #614
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Hope to drive here soon (but only until this sign ):

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/39566389 by Aleksandra Srsa
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #615
CairnsTony

I was in Mt. Molloy on Saturday. It's about one and a half hour's drive from Cairns.

The road to Lakeland is sealed, as is the road to Cooktown. Going north from Lakeland is mostly unsealed. The road can be closed after heavy rain due to flooding. This is somewhat unlikely in the dry season, and even coming into the wet as we are now, it's generally OK to drive. Large trucks from Weipa, a mining town, use it all the time.

I thoroughly recommend it for anyone on holiday here, especially if you can get to the spectacular Iron Ranges down the Portland Road (not marked on this sign); it's a great adventure through one of Australia's largest remaining wildernesses.

Last edited by CairnsTony; November 8th, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #616
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Australia is known for its remote roads. A particularly remote road is the Carpentaria Highway section of the Highway 1, which encircles the Australian continent. It has 33 AADT!

Well, most through traffic uses the Barkly Highway, but that road also does not get more than 250 vehicles per day.

It's always funny how they denote places on a map, for example Barkly Homestead, which looks like quite an important place along the Barkly Highway. In reality, it's not more than a gas station and 3 buildings. And it's the only populated place on the 450 kilometre section of the Barkly Highway in the Northern Territory.

If you enter the Eyre Highway at Norseman, the first 100+ population town is no less than 1,200 kilometers away!

Such loneliness is just not understandable for a Dutchman like me where the most remote backroads still receive more than 500 vehicles per day in the Netherlands.
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #617
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Australia is known for its remote roads. A particularly remote road is the Carpentaria Highway section of the Highway 1, which encircles the Australian continent. It has 33 AADT!

Well, most through traffic uses the Barkly Highway, but that road also does not get more than 250 vehicles per day.

It's always funny how they denote places on a map, for example Barkly Homestead, which looks like quite an important place along the Barkly Highway. In reality, it's not more than a gas station and 3 buildings. And it's the only populated place on the 450 kilometre section of the Barkly Highway in the Northern Territory.

If you enter the Eyre Highway at Norseman, the first 100+ population town is no less than 1,200 kilometers away!

Such loneliness is just not understandable for a Dutchman like me where the most remote backroads still receive more than 500 vehicles per day in the Netherlands.

Good post Chris.

I suddenly got the urge to do a roadtrip on highway 1 all the way around australia. I'll just have to remember to bring lots of gas
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #618
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Not sure about the part close to the Gulf of Carpentaria, but no need to worry about fuel on any other part of Highway 1. It would be exceptional to have intervals between fuel stations in excess of 100 kilometers.

For the rest, Chris' story about towns like Barkly Homestead are telling. From my drive down Stuart Highway, I remember all too well how you would count down to the next town on the basis of roadside markers indicating the distance to the nearest town (they appear every 10 km), signs indicating the distance to a hospital (first posted at 75 km) and the odd distance signs, only to arrive in a time which you will leave before you know it.
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #619
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Not sure about the part close to the Gulf of Carpentaria, but no need to worry about fuel on any other part of Highway 1. It would be exceptional to have intervals between fuel stations in excess of 100 kilometers.

For the rest, Chris' story about towns like Barkly Homestead are telling. From my drive down Stuart Highway, I remember all too well how you would count down to the next town on the basis of roadside markers indicating the distance to the nearest town (they appear every 10 km), signs indicating the distance to a hospital (first posted at 75 km) and the odd distance signs, only to arrive in a time which you will leave before you know it.

Really? That sounds too good to be true. This would truly be the ultimate roadtrip if you're interested in seeing something other than just big cities. I've tried google but I cant really seem to find any good blogs or diaries by people who drove this stretch.

14500 km, I guess that's doable in round 2 months or something. Maybe you'll grow tired. And rental will be expensive. I should probably start saving now
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #620
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Not all of Highway 1 seems to be paved, especially in Queensland.

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads