daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #621
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Not all of Highway 1 seems to be paved, especially in Queensland.
It's all paved except for a stretch of several hundred kms between Normanton, Qld and Borroloola, NT. But since this isn't the main highway btw Qld and NT, this is hardly surprising as the area is virtually uninhabited.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #622
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19379

Yep, I don't understand why Route 1 runs through that area anyway. Most traffic uses the Capricorn Highway to the coast or the Landsborough Highway towards Brisbane / Warrego Highway. It almost seems like an attempt to create a very long numbered route.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #623
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Yep, I don't understand why Route 1 runs through that area anyway. Most traffic uses the Capricorn Highway to the coast or the Landsborough Highway towards Brisbane / Warrego Highway. It almost seems like an attempt to create a very long numbered route.
Highway 1 certainly varies hugely in quality and usage, from a multi-lane freeway along stretches down south to this unpaved dirt road through the middle of nowhere.

I don't know if the length is significant if I think about it, as it would've been even longer if it had gone south from Normanton towards Mt Isa and thence into NT. This would've made it an all-sealed road and significantly longer.

The current route 1 across the top between Cairns and Broome is publicised as the 'Savannah Way' to encourage tourist traffic. I can get a tax break on expenses incurred by visiting these remote areas, as the government want people to visit these areas to stimulate what economy exists there.

Last edited by CairnsTony; November 15th, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #624
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

The only thing you know for sure when you enter Highway 1 is that you will roughly follow the Australian coast. Mostly, it is the route parallel to the coast that is closest to it. But "close" varies from having the ocean in sight (at some places close to the NSW/Qld border) to 600-odd kilometers out (for instance in Daly Waters, where Highway 1 leaves the Stuart Highway).

As was pointed out, following Highway 1 will not always be the most efficient route between the towns on it. From Melbourne to Adelaide and from Perth to Darwin, Highway 1 would not be the most direct route, Sydney to Brisbane is debatable and the Cairns to Darwin issue is outlined above. But as a drive, it looks like a great prospect that will bring you to the vast majority of the great sights that Australia has got on offer. Buying a used car and selling it and the end of your journey sounds like a cheaper option than renting.
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #625
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Guys, do you know if the Tropic of Capricorn is marked on the Bruce Highway (by Rockhampton)? I didn't notice any marker.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #626
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Yep, I don't understand why Route 1 runs through that area anyway.
It is not signposted between the NT Border and Georgetown.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #627
Verso
Islander

Does anyone know when Melbourne will get a northeastern bypass, which would finally complete the ringroad?
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #628
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Does anyone know when Melbourne will get a northeastern bypass, which would finally complete the ringroad?
Thanks for ytour question Verso.
I live in the area that would be covered with the northeast link. The answer is there really is no timeline at the moment unfortunately as it can get controversial and no party willing to push the issue much and there are other road projects in Melbourne that probably need higher priority.

The State Labor Government had included the northeast link on its grand transport plan. It would've taken them 5-10 years to plan, build and complete the link. However a couple weeks ago they voted out of office. The incoming State Coalition Government (conservative) have not talked about the northeast link so its off the agenda for the time being.

The northeast link would connect two suburbs of Melbourne: Greensborough and Ringwood. There are two options for the northeast link:
1. Direct conection through Eltham: longer, more hilly terrain, more expensive and more controversial.
2. Connection via Rosanna and Bulleen: shorter, less hilly terrain, cheaper, less controversial.

Clearly option 2 looks the winner. However it would mean that the Eastern Fwy (M3) between Bulleen and Ringwood would act as both a ring road and inbound-outbound city-suburbs freeway so this would need to be taken into account.

In Melbourne planning and environment there are a couple of 'green wedge' areas where development is restricted, ecology is protected. One is the northeast of Melbourne where the northeast link would cut across.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #629
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #630
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Hi,

Here are 4 photos I took of Aireys Inlet/Fairhaven along the Great Ocean Road recently.

The house on the pole is a well known landmark in Victoria, located in Fairhaven.

The lighthouse is in Aireys Inlet, known as Split Point lighthouse and was used in the filming of childrens television series 'Around the Twist' in the 1990s.

Port Campbell is the location of the '12 Apostles' another famous landmark along the Victorian coast and a regular on postcards.

Hope you like them..
Old December 11th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #631
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
Thanks for ytour question Verso.
I live in the area that would be covered with the northeast link. The answer is there really is no timeline at the moment unfortunately as it can get controversial and no party willing to push the issue much and there are other road projects in Melbourne that probably need higher priority.

The State Labor Government had included the northeast link on its grand transport plan. It would've taken them 5-10 years to plan, build and complete the link. However a couple weeks ago they voted out of office. The incoming State Coalition Government (conservative) have not talked about the northeast link so its off the agenda for the time being.

The northeast link would connect two suburbs of Melbourne: Greensborough and Ringwood. There are two options for the northeast link:
1. Direct conection through Eltham: longer, more hilly terrain, more expensive and more controversial.
2. Connection via Rosanna and Bulleen: shorter, less hilly terrain, cheaper, less controversial.

Clearly option 2 looks the winner. However it would mean that the Eastern Fwy (M3) between Bulleen and Ringwood would act as both a ring road and inbound-outbound city-suburbs freeway so this would need to be taken into account.

In Melbourne planning and environment there are a couple of 'green wedge' areas where development is restricted, ecology is protected. One is the northeast of Melbourne where the northeast link would cut across.
Thanks a lot for your exhaustive answer. Looks like it's a tough decision. I'd just like to add that I think it's interesting how different approaches we have to toll roads. In Europe (and perhaps elsewhere) we usually don't charge city bypasses, while in Australia you mostly only charge bypasses, because there're alternatives. Different logic.

And the GOR with its 12 (or 8) Apostles is the most spectacular thing I've seen in my life!
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #632
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

In the case of Eastlink in Melbourne, the tollway is a result of a famous 'broken promise' made by Premier Steve Bracks (Labor) in 2002 to build the Scoresby Freeway without tolls. Bracks won the State Election in 2002 and a few months later changed his mind and decided to build the freeway and whack on tolls for the users. As eastern Melbourne is mostly conservative Labor could do that and get away with that politically; they did easily because the Libs were hopeless and could not make hay out of the issue at the next election in 2006. Labor supporters would argue that the premier Jeff Kennett did the same thing (although not on the back of a blatant broken promise I add) when tolls were introduced on the Tulla Fwy as part of the Citylink project in the 1990s. The Tullamarine Fwy serves the northwestern suburbs of Melbourne dominated by Labor seats and conservative premier would get away with it more easily than a Labor premier would.

Bypasses and ring roads shouldn't be tolled in my opinion as they help to divert traffic around a city centre and relieve congestion. Congestion charging in a city centre would be better if you need a toll road.

I'm glad you had a nice time in Australia..what else did you see here?
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #633
Verso
Islander

Everything between Melbourne and Cairns. I'll post some pics in a day or two, if they're any good..
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #634
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I'll post some pics in a day or two, if they're any good..
I posted them here.
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #635
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Kosciusko Road, in the Australian alps, 15km from Charlotte Pass, in the middle of summer

crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #636
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Just a few more photos from southern NSW, taken in 2009. The township in the first photo is Ulladulla. The freeway photo is the Albury-Wodonga Bypass (part of the Hume Fwy, M31). The roadsign photo is just outside the small township of Tuross Heads.
Old December 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #637
Astenaar

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post

Just a few more photos from southern NSW, taken in 2009. The township in the first photo is Ulladulla. The freeway photo is the Albury-Wodonga Bypass (part of the Hume Fwy, M31). The roadsign photo is just outside the small township of Tuross Heads.
When i drove on the Albury bypass a few years ago the road was empty as on the photo you posted. I am wondering, is the hune fwy just nation building or really necesarry? It was so empty on the whole stretch between Melbourne and Goulburn..
Astenaar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #638
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

The Hume Fwy is nation building in the sense that it links our two biggest cities with a quality highway as would be the case in any other country. However, it is not nation building in the sense of spending a few billion dollars today to get through the global financial crisis. The Hume Hwy upgrade (to Fwy standard) started in the 1970s and will hopefully be completed some time this decade. (which makes it nearly 40 years). The Hume Fwy connects Melbourne and Sydney, must compete with a one hour plane trip, and the towns along the route are small so there is very little population density along the route; hence the dollars don't come in thick and fast.

The alternative to the bypass is to drive through Albury and Wodonga and hit about 20 sets of traffic lights.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #639
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19379

Hume Highway has reasonably high traffic counts between Sydney and the Federal Highway; between 27,000 and 75,000 vehicles per day. The middle section between the Federal Highway and Albury is less trafficked, some sections hardly achieve 10,000 vehicles per day, but this part isn't a motorway-standard route for most of its length.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #640
Verso
Islander

Is there an AADT map or table for Australia?

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads