daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #641
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

You can usually find it at the respective transportation agency for each state / territory.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #642
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Not only the interior, even 100 km away from the major metropolises are sparsely populated compared to Europe. For example in New South Wales, the most populous Australian state, the biggest non-coastal city is Wagga Wagga with only 56,000 inhabitants!
Wagga Wagga is the biggest non coastal city entirely in New South Wales. Canberra and Albury-Wodonga are both partly in NSW, and much larger (402,000 and 103,000 respectively).
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #643
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

--

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; December 19th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #644
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hume Highway has reasonably high traffic counts between Sydney and the Federal Highway; between 27,000 and 75,000 vehicles per day. The middle section between the Federal Highway and Albury is less trafficked, some sections hardly achieve 10,000 vehicles per day, but this part isn't a motorway-standard route for most of its length.
bullshit the hume highway from fed hwy to albury has high amounts of traffic but its mostly large trucks that make those 10,000 vechicles per day happen. i live in albury and near the old hume hwy and if there wasnt an albury bypass i tell ya i wouldnt be sleepin much coz theres shitload of trucks on the hwy at night and still a high amount of trucks roll thru wagga rd(old hume hwy) day n night to go to maccas, kfc n red rooster in lavington and north of albury where a section between the sturt hwy exit n table top was recently completed but b4 that there were heeps of accidents involving semis n cars.
natfat madd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #645
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Likes (Received): 231

A few from Wollongong, a large coastal city south of Sydney.

Mount Ousley Road (National Route 1), a limited access road that rides above the Illawarra Escarpment before heading down into the 'gong.

Once in the 'gong, it becomes the Southern Freeway. University of Wollongong is to the right, the CBD is ~1km to the left.

Northern Distributor, a limited access route that bypasses the Princes Highway through the northern suburbs. Most of it is actually at-grade intersections, but the newest stage which opened in late 2009 has grade seperation, such as seen here at Woonona.

The only section of National Route 1 in Wollongong that has not been upgraded to limited access, which is a 2-3 kilometre stretch through Albion Park Rail in the southern suburbs. Street maps show an intended bypass that runs on the other side of the airport (out of shot to the left), but can't find anything on it.

However, this non-descript road (known as East-West Route in the street directory) actually follows the path of this intended bypass, and currently acts as a link between the Princes Highway and the new residential estates to the south of the Albion Park village.

Princes Highway, between Albion Park and Kiama. This realignment opened up in 2009 replacing the old highway to the right, and is taken from the overpass which now provides the new access to the southern satellite city of Shellharbour.

Windang Road (aka Primbee Deviation), north of the village of Windang. This is the main arterial route between Wollongong and Shellharbour, via Port Kembla.

The Princes Highway at Unanderra, south of the Wollongong CBD. This has now been superseded by the Southern Freeway to the east, but is still a well patronised urban route.

Back to the north, Lawrence Hargrave Drive approaching the Sea Cliff Bridge. This opened in 2005, replacing a section that was regularly closed due to rock falls. The Illawarra Escarpment hugs the coast here, and this road connects the northern suburbs with the satellite town of Helensburgh.
roofromoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #646
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

The Sea Cliff Bridge is an amazing piece of engineering. Thanks for posting!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:31 PM   #647
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Some pics from the nation's capital, Canberra:

Parkes Way, looking west. This is just after the start of a limited access route that runs along the northern shores of Lake Burley Griffin, and providing access to the southern new towns of Woden Valley, Wesron Creek and Tuggeranong. It's name changes to Tuggeranong Parkway further to the south west. The Canberra CBD is to the right.

Northbourne Avenue, looking north in the Canberra CBD. This is a wide north-south arterial route that continues north east out of the city (as the Federal Highway) towards Sydney.

Commonwealth Avenue, looking south. This arterial route connects the Canberra CBD with Capital Hill, which has Parliament House (can be seen in the distant background).

State Circle. This is one of two circular routes that go around Capital Hill. This one mostly contains at grade intersections with streets that radiate out, whilst Capital Circle is to the right and essentially is a limited access route with only access connecting Commonwealth, Canberra and Adelaide Avenues.

Yarra Glen, approaching the Woden Valley town centre. This is an extension of Adelaide Avenue, a limited access route between Capital Hill and this new town.

Hindmarsh Drive, looking west on the southern edges of the Woden Valley town centre at Phillip. This is a main east-west arterial route that goes through this new town and also Weston Creek.

Cotter Road, looking west at Duffy, a northern suburb in the Weston Creek new town. Prior to 2003, this was all pine plantations, which only provided further accelerant in the devestating and deadly bushfires of that year. Since then, it has been decided to not replant the majority of the vegetation.

Tuggeranong Parkway, looking north at Cotter Road. This acts as the boundary between Weston Creek (left) and Woden Valley (right). Further to the south at Kambah, in the Tuggeranong new town, it continues being a limited access route, but with at-grade intersections.

Isabella Drive, looking west at Gowrie. This is an arterial route that connects the Monaro Highway with the Tuggeranong new town. There is a sufficient reserve to the right to allow widening if required in the future.

Tharwa Drive, between the southern suburbs of the Tuggeranong new town and the small village of Tharwa.

Belconnen Way, looking west. This is the main connector route between the CBD and the north western new town of Belconnen.

Redfern Street in Macquarie, within the Belconnen new town. Suburbs in the older new towns are based on the 'neighbourhood unit', in which a lot of these boundaries are actually collector routes like this. On the right is the suburb of Cook.

Gungahlin Drive, looking north. This is one of Canberra's newer arterial routes, starting at the Tuggeranong Parkway in the south, traversing through the eastern parts of Belconnen and further north to the Gungahlin new town.

Gundaroo Drive at the Gungahlin Drive intersection at Palmerston. This is a major east-west route in Gungahlin, connecting the Barton Highway with the town centre.

Barton Highway (National Route 25), bypassing the outlying village of Hall near the NSW border.

Majura Road (National Route 23), looking north. This is the main bypass route of Canberra, connecting up with the Monaro Highway further to the south.

Monaro Highway (National Route 23), looking north at Fyshwick. This is a continuation of National Route 23 from the Federal Highway to the north to Sydney, bypassing Canberra along its eastern outskirts and continuing further south to the Snowy Mountains and far eastern Victoria.

Canberra Avenue, looking north west in Griffith. This is the main arterial route between the Canberra CBD (via Capital Hill) and the satellite city of Queanbeyan on the NSW side of the border. Pic from Ozroads.

Last edited by roofromoz; January 23rd, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM   #648
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Thanks for the pics, very nice! Canberra (ACT) is full of limited-access roads. I didn't know that the Capital Circle was actually two half-circles, so when I wanted to drive around the parliament, I couldn't (it's quite long, so at first I actually thought I'd driven all around it, the road on the other side was also similar to where I had come from). I used the State Circle then, it's a full circle. It was quite empty.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #649
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1737

I went for a drive on a lap of the Sydney Orbital last month with a camera on my dashboard and made a funky time lapse.

The orbital is a series of motorway standard roads (almost) that do a lap around the suburbs and along the eastern edge of the CBD.

At 5:38 there's a bus at a bus stop on the M2.

Last edited by AtD; January 24th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
AtD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #650
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

It's a pretty lame ring-road to be honest, and $24 worth of tolls is crazy too. But at least Sydney has one, Melbourne's will be way off, probably 20 years at this stage, to complete the final piece in the ring, as it's in an environmental hot spot.

Sydney ring road - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Orbital

Melbourne ring road - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Ring_Road
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #651
roofromoz
#pantherpride

M4 (Western Motorway) in Sydney.

Current western terminus, with an at-grade intersection at Parramatta Road at Strathfield.

Looking west about 1km from the previous photo, with the Olympic Park precinct to the right.

Toll gates at Auburn - these have since been removed as this section is no longer tolled.

Viaduct, looking east near Parramatta. Picture from Ozroads

Looking east at Greystanes - CBD skyline can be made out in the distance, ~30km away.

Looking east at Eastern Creek, with the twin service centres (service station and fast food).

Looking west at Eastern Creek, at the Lighthorse Interchange with the M7 (Westlink).

Looking west at Orchard Hills, near Penrith. The Blue Mountains can be made out in the distance.

Looking west in the ascent up the Blue Mountains. The M4 ends about half a kilometre from here and reverts to the Great Western Highway (National Route 32), which through the mountains is a mixture of limited access plus at grade intersections, but is mostly a dual carriageway (the sections that are not are currently under construction to Katoomba).
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #652
Verso
Islander

Nice pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofromoz View Post
Toll gates at Auburn - these have since been removed as this section is no longer tolled.
Now I know why some maps show it tolled, but it wasn't when I was there three months ago. The entire M4 used to be tolled, right? When did they stop charging it?
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #653
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice pics!

Now I know why some maps show it tolled, but it wasn't when I was there three months ago. The entire M4 used to be tolled, right? When did they stop charging it?
Only very recently, last year or maybe the year before.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #654
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It was removed last year. Only the section between James Ruse Drive and Silverwater Road was tolled, the remainder either side was free. The toll was introduced after the 'missing link' between Parramatta and Blacktown was opened in 1992, however, for some reason the gates were located about 10km further to the east! The alternative route between James Ruse Drive and Silverwater Road, Parramatta Road, was (perhaps deliberately) kept in such a condition that it made the M4, and therefore the toll, a more attractive option. The pavement was basically maintained to a minimum standard.

Tolling in Sydney is varied - the M2 and M7 is tolled the full length, the M5 is only tolled for the section between Heathcote and King Georges Roads, and others such as the Bradfield Highway (the Harbour Bridge roadway) and Eastern Distributor are only tolled if you are travelling in a certain direction (i.e. it is free in one direction).
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #655
Verso
Islander

I saw maps where all M4 was tolled. The thing is that it already took me almost 2 hours to get through Sydney, so I really didn't want to drive on the old road all the way to the Blue Mountains (I didn't have a toll device). Can you pay subsequently at any gas station?
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:03 AM   #656
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1737

You can pay online, you have 48 hours before you'll get fined.

http://sydneymotorways.com/tagsandpasses.html
AtD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM   #657
Verso
Islander

^ I see that you can also pay with cash on some motorways (exact toll). I didn't know that.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM   #658
roofromoz
#pantherpride

All new motorways in Sydney since around 2004-05 are cashless, so unless you have a tag (it doesn't necessarily need to be a physical tag mounted on the windscreen, just as long as your vehicle is registered), you need to pay within 48 hours.

The ones that pre-date that period can be paid by the tag or by cash, such as the M4 pic I posted - there are lane markings on the pavement that either say 'TOLL' or an 'E', which is for tags. I am not sure if you can use the tag lane on the toll-boothed motorways if you have no cash - it's something I've never tried, but maybe the 48 hour grace period applies too. I have received a few notices where I have used the tag and not had enough credit in the account - there is an admin fee of ~$10, but I have had it waived because of my account.

The tags can also be used in other cities that have toll roads - I used it when travelling on the Gateway Motorway in Brisbane a few years ago.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM   #659
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Likes (Received): 8

ahh the auburn tollbooths bring back memories!! mum and sister fighting over whether we keep going or pay then having to stop and chuck the coins in the coin booth or stop at the booth where you'd be saying hello to the people working in them good and time wasting memories.....now its all gone...yay!!
natfat madd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #660
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Hello,

Took a few snaps this afternoon of progress works at midway stage of Melbourne's Ring road (M80) upgrade. The first snap taken near Sunshine Avenue. The rest between the Tullamarine Fwy and Pascoe Vale Road.

Between the Tullas and PV Rd they are building new carriageway on the northern side of the road, so that this short section will have three carriageways. The new carriageway is really a very long offramp for PV Rd and takes traffic off the Tulla and the M80 destined for PV Rd and separates from traffic going under PV Rd.

The website for the ring road project is: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/M80Upgrade/
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads