daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #681
LG_

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post

We're fortunate enough to have the space to do it I suppose...
Actually that was the first thing that came to my mind when a first saw the picture - Australia is huge and there is a lot of land! But there must be another reasons. Safety? Such a broad dividing line requires higher expropriation costs for the land and the brighes must be also broader. (higher price)

Last edited by LG_; August 9th, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
LG_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #682
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6456

I love this photo of the Clem 7 entry

Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #683
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG_ View Post
Actually that was the first think that came to my minde when a first saw the picture - Australia is huge and there is a lot of land! But there must be another reasons. Safety? Such a broad dividing line requires higher expropriation costs for the land and the brighes must be also broader. (higher price)
Most rural motorways in North America (ie, USA interstates) are the same way, too.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #684
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I love this photo of the Clem 7 entry

Interesting photo!

Do you know where the ramps that currently go nowhere but appear to be heading to the bottom right of the pic will eventually be heading?
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #685
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What's the lane discipline like in Australia?
Not very good at all, Aussies are shocking motorway drivers. In regards to lane discipline, in rural area's is a lot better than in urban area's. Motorists often hog the overtaking lane or cause traffic havoc by going too slow in the centre lane causing people to overtake them from all over the place. A reason why this is a big problem is due to a large amount of foreign nationals from Asia who don't know our road rules, also the driver education system in Australia doesn't teach good motorway etiquette, so even a majority of locals are awful. I believe they must start teaching better motorway etiquette for safety and better traffic flow.

Motorists in the UK are better than Aussies.

Here is an article I found from a few years ago: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=36860

Last edited by Morjo; July 9th, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #686
RDSA

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morjo View Post
Not very good at all, Aussies are shocking motorway drivers. In regards to lane discipline, in rural area's is a lot better than in urban area's. Motorists often hog the overtaking lane or cause traffic havoc by going too slow in the centre lane causing people to overtake them from all over the place. A reason why this is a big problem is due to a large amount of foreign nationals from Asia who don't know our road rules, also the driver education system in Australia doesn't teach good motorway etiquette, so even a majority of locals are awful. I believe they must start teaching better motorway etiquette for safety and better traffic flow.

Motorists in the UK are better than Aussies.

Here is an article I found from a few years ago: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=36860
very true although i personally believe its the bad habits of the locals(i Victoria atleast) that cause most of the problems. Its something that seams to be passed down from generation to generation. And when foreigners get here its "when in rome".

intrestingly i have to laugh when i was driving down to geelong recently, doing 102 km/h (105 on the speedo but its wrong) which is as fast as you can go before getting a fine and people were still overtaking me and weaving around to get past

Last edited by RDSA; July 9th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
RDSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #687
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Likes (Received): 231

I am amazed at the number of vehicles who do not observe roadworks speed limits... the M5 between Camden Valley Way and Narellan Road has been pretty much in a perpetual state of roadworks for about 4 years, and although there are a number of signs saying that the limits are enforceable, there are always drivers who still travel close to or greater than the regular 110km/h limit.
roofromoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #688
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofromoz View Post
I am amazed at the number of vehicles who do not observe roadworks speed limits... the M5 between Camden Valley Way and Narellan Road has been pretty much in a perpetual state of roadworks for about 4 years, and although there are a number of signs saying that the limits are enforceable, there are always drivers who still travel close to or greater than the regular 110km/h limit.
i had 2 trucks pass me and i was doing over the roadwork speed limit (90)!
natfat madd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #689
roofromoz
#pantherpride

M7 (Westlink), a ~40km motorway in Sydney that connects the M5 in the south western suburbs with the M2 in the north western suburbs. It opened in late 2005 and is part of the 'national highway' network, which in effect acts as a greater Sydney bypass (although this is not complete due to the missing F3 - M2 link, but that's another story...)

M5 at Casula, looking north towards the Sir Roden Cutler Interchange which is the southern terminus of the M7. This is a PDF from the M7 website showing a map of this interchange, which incorporates Camden Valley Way (the bridge which has the AD sign), and also a local road (Beech Road), but is not entirely self directional - southbound access to the M5 is made via Campbelltown Road which is further to the east.

Looking north west at Prestons, approaching the Bernera Road interchange. This is ~1km further to the north, disecting through an 'employment' area that has existed for a number of decades, but has undoubtedly been boosted with the opening of the M7, which has led to rural land to the west being re-zoned industrial.

Looking north at Horsley Park, at the Chandos Road overpass. On the right is a cycleway which runs parallel to the M7 for its entire length.

Looking south at Eastern Creek, approaching the Lighthorse Interchange, from Ozroads. This is a fully directional interchange with the M4 (Western Motorway), but also includes Wallgrove Road, a north-south arterial road in the mix. This is the PDF from the M7 website, and below is some other photos:

An aerial shot.

Looking west on the M4.

Southbound on ramp from Woodstock Avenue at Glendenning. The M7 is fully cashless and charges are made via overhead gantries, such the one seen here.

Looking north approaching the Richmond Road interchange at Oakhurst. At this interchange, it changes dramatically from north-south to east-west. Photo from Ozroads.

Looking west at Kings Park. This section was built on a road reserve that has had residential developments constructed on each side, hence the high noise walls on both sides.

M2, looking west approaching the start of the M7. The end of the M7 is officially at the Abbott Road interchange, which is just to the east of this photo, hence the signage on the right here. Photo from Ozroads.
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #690
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice pics, thanks for posting. How much is AADT on the M7? I'm wondering, if 4 lanes are enough (I know it's tolled though).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #691
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Most motorways / freeways in Sydney are not as wide as you'd expect based on population and urban setting. Surface streets have therefor very high traffic volumes, 50,000+ vehicles per day on streets through residential areas are not uncommon.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #692
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Likes (Received): 8

[QUOTE=ChrisZwolle;81736478]Most motorways / freeways in Sydney are not as wide as you'd expect based on population and urban setting. Surface streets have therefor very high traffic volumes, 50,000+ vehicles per day on streets through residential areas are not uncommon.[/QUOTE
though sydneys freeways are getting better! their about to widen the M5 and the hume hwy near campbelltown has been widened to 8 lanes and south from there construction is underway to widen the hume to 6 lanes to the narellan exit. plus some widening roadworks going on on the M2 near the pennant hills road exit i havent heard how many lanes it will be widened to though.
natfat madd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #693
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice pics, thanks for posting. How much is AADT on the M7? I'm wondering, if 4 lanes are enough (I know it's tolled though).
Not too sure what it is, but it wouldn't be as great as the citybound motorways I don't think.

At this stage, 4 lanes is enough most of the time, however I have noticed that the left hand shoulders on the bridges are wide enough to be widened to another lane if it occurs (and also cuts down on construction costs with having to augment the bridges).
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #694
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 28

Any updates on the roads in Brisbane?
timmy- brissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #695
CairnsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy- brissy View Post
Any updates on the roads in Brisbane?
Which ones?

The Clem tunnel has been open for several months now. The Airport link is still under constriction, due for completion in 2012. Is that what you were referring to?
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #696
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
The Clem tunnel has been open for several months now.
16 months is more exact It opened on March 15th, 2010.
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #697
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

18 (and a half) months is more exact yet. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #698
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You're right. It is Friday afternoon, you know.
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #699
CairnsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
16 months is more exact It opened on March 15th, 2010.
How time flies...

Maybe I should pay more attention to a city that doesn't give a toss about Cairns. Or maybe not...
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #700
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Question: is there any credible plans to pave some decent extension of outback roads or those north or Cairns?

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads