daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #61
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 489

Just cover ur number plates, and hit the gas... and make sure u have a better car than the cops
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #62
cartez
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
But when there is traffic, you get vehicles like this:

Wouldn't want to have one of them coming at me in the opposite direction.
that is ****n cool!

it has a total of 86 wheels and I'm pretty sure a 36-speed transmission
cartez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #63
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

[AUS] Australian Freeways and Roads

I might as well start this thread, for any cool photos or updates and statistics that are out there waiting to be in a thread on skyscrapercity.

i'll start by posting a picture of probably the best freeway in the country...pacific motorway from brisbane to the gold coast and beyond...

multiply!
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:43 AM   #64
Falc_hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Just cover ur number plates, and hit the gas... and make sure u have a better car than the cops
the cops can just radio ahead, there's not many side roads
Falc_hoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM   #65
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiescraperman View Post
but overall, i think the speed limit is a good thing, at least till they have the highways duplicated, if that ever happens.
Outback highways will never be duplicated. There will never be sufficient traffic to justify the expense, as there will never be populations large enough to generate such traffic volumes. The exceptions are places like Alice Springs and Darwin, which already have dual carriageway sections of the Stuart Highway, so I believe.
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM   #66
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiescraperman View Post
I might as well start this thread, for any cool photos or updates and statistics that are out there waiting to be in a thread on skyscrapercity.

i'll start by posting a picture of probably the best freeway in the country...pacific motorway from brisbane to the gold coast and beyond...

multiply!
Sad, how very sad are the highways in Australia... Plenty of land and what do they build... 2-3 lane highways with a speed limit of 80-100...
What a fantastic job our government did with the NEW M5 east tunnel between Arncliffe and King Georges road, come 2 pm its a parking lot with traffic banked back to Qantas drive!
I wish our government would wake-up and smell the coffee!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:37 AM   #67
>Milfhunter<
BANNED

That road will be quashed by Melbourne's M1 once its completed.
>Milfhunter< no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM   #68
SM247
Citadis Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Sad, how very sad are the highways in Australia... Plenty of land and what do they build... 2-3 lane highways with a speed limit of 80-100...
What a fantastic job our government did with the NEW M5 east tunnel between Arncliffe and King Georges road, come 2 pm its a parking lot with traffic banked back to Qantas drive!
It should be pointed out that the M1 as pictured is a 4-lane road with 110km running, which goes for quite a way further south. Eventually it returns to three lanes and 100km between Parkwood and Nerang, then 2 lanes to Tugun. This last bit will be upograded to 3 lanes Nerang to Tugun and 2 lanes along the Tugun Bypass, then its NSW's problem!

I agree though, the NSBT in Brisbane is only 2 lanes and will probably be a carpark a few years after it opens. Fortunately it doesn't actually feed the CBD or it would be full on opening day like the Lane Cove tunnel.
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #69
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM247 View Post
It should be pointed out that the M1 as pictured is a 4-lane road with 110km running, which goes for quite a way further south. Eventually it returns to three lanes and 100km between Parkwood and Nerang, then 2 lanes to Tugun. This last bit will be upograded to 3 lanes Nerang to Tugun and 2 lanes along the Tugun Bypass, then its NSW's problem!

I agree though, the NSBT in Brisbane is only 2 lanes and will probably be a carpark a few years after it opens. Fortunately it doesn't actually feed the CBD or it would be full on opening day like the Lane Cove tunnel.
Its good to see a 4 lane highway in QLD, at least they have some brains and I believe Melbournes highways have 4 lanes too...
Im not sure who designed the M5 extension, I believe it was Bob Carr? Reports say the tunnel was operating at its PEAK from day one which wasnt forcast until at another 20 years from now!!!
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #70
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

What is the speed limit on Australian motorways?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #71
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
What is the speed limit on Australian motorways?
100-110km/h. And unlike most countries, Australia is very strict on enforcing their speed limits.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #72
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
100-110km/h.
Boooring speeds... especially on freeways.

Quote:
And unlike most countries, Australia is very strict on enforcing their speed limits.
Don't worry, i live in The Netherlands. I am very used to speed traps, for instance, i travel 14km every day to work, and i pass about 8 speed traps on that small distance.
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #73
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Yeah, but how many people live in Australia? Australia may be the size of America, but it does not have America's population, and therefore will not have big American sized roads.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #74
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Boooring speeds... especially on freeways.

Don't worry, i live in The Netherlands. I am very used to speed traps, for instance, i travel 14km every day to work, and i pass about 8 speed traps on that small distance.
The Dutch government must be desperate for money.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #75
Trent800
BANNED

Quote:
100-110km/h. And unlike most countries, Australia is very strict on enforcing their speed limits.
The speed limit is also 100-110km/h on single lane back country roads, be it dirt or tarmac.
I remember going fishing on the western port bay and we had to take a crumbling 1 lane road with no space to pass other vehicles and the speed limit was 100km/h. Ironically this 3m wide strip of asphalt is directly off a brand new expressway which also has a 100km/h limit.
Trent800 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #76
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491
i travel 14km every day to work, and i pass about 8 speed traps on that small distance
The Dutch government must be desperate for money.
I drove through Holland several times and did not notice a lot of speed traps. In American sense where a speed trap means a policeman hiding in the bush along the road I haven't seen any on my numerous trips through Europe. They do have many speed cameras though.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #77
Trent800
BANNED

In Australia they install speed cameras BEHIND overhead signs so you cant see them, cops/speed camera operators hide behind bushes in FAMILY SEDANS, (infact just yesterday I saw a cop in a family sedan pull over a driver) and the speed tolerance is 3km/h. Yes just 3km/h.

Speed camera operators have popped the hoods of their cars, removed tires or have a box of tools next to the car to fool drivers into believing that they are just civilians broken down on the side of the road.

The overhead speed cameras on freeways (hidden behind overhead signs) are
unreliable and errornous, as a 40-year old Datsun capable of just 130km/h when NEW was caught doing 156km/h, a truck was caught supposidly doing 500km/h on an UPHILL slope and get this, a BRICK WALL was allegedly doing 7km/h according to our speed cameras!
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #78
Trent800
BANNED

In Melbourne:

Last edited by Trent800; February 6th, 2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #79
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I drove through Holland several times and did not notice a lot of speed traps. In American sense where a speed trap means a policeman hiding in the bush along the road I haven't seen any on my numerous trips through Europe. They do have many speed cameras though.
There aren't so many on motorways, but we have a lot of sneaky speed camera's behind trees, signs, garbagecans etc on the National roads, roads with usually a speed limit, that doesn't agree with how the road looks like. (flat, wide, straight roads in the countryside with a speed limit of 60km/h for instance )

But Austrailian motorways looks okay. Are there many traffic jams?

I see the motorway systems of Melbourne and Sydney aren't connected to eachother, will that be so in the future?
And are there motorways near Brisbane?
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #80
Trent800
BANNED

do you mean the two cities not being joined by motorway or their motorway networks themselves?

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads