daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #801
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Dims Sims for Road Rage!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two hurt in highway 'dim sim fight'
The Age, 12 April 2012

POLICE will charge a passenger and driver over a Good Friday confrontation on a busy Geelong highway in which dim sims were allegedly hurled.

A man, 26, was thrown from a four-wheel-drive Mitsubishi Pajero as the vehicle somersaulted after the fiery argument on the ring road near Hamlyn Heights.

The driver of the Pajero, a 27-year-old woman, was seriously injured in the rollover, and two children, an 11-month-old girl and a boy, 2, we are also taken to hospital for treatment.

Advertisement: Story continues below Police have spoken to several witnesses and confirmed that the passenger in the Pajero and the driver would be formally interviewed and then charged when they had recovered.

The man is in The Alfred hospital, while the woman is in the Geelong Hospital.

It is believed there had been a verbal exchange between those in the Pajero and another family of holidaymakers in a white Ford sedan.

It apparently went on for several kilometres before the Pajero overturned.

Police were told that dim sims had been thrown at the Ford while the cars travelled along a highway packed with holidaymakers going down the coast.

Police have contacted and interviewed the driver and occupants of the Ford, which continued on after the Pajero flipped several times.

Two children were passengers in the sedan.

The Pajero had been following the Ford when it swerved on and off the highway before it flipped.

The driver and male passenger of the Pajero will be charged with dangerous conduct and driving offences.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #802
rohjoe

Likes (Received): 12

Peninsula Link

Some recent construction photos of ‘Peninsula Link’ in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

This is a 27 kilometre un-tolled freeway connecting the EastLink tollway with the southern section of the Mornington Peninsula Freeway, bypassing Frankston. It is scheduled for completion early 2013.

Photos courtesy State Government of Victoria
rohjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #803
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; December 1st, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #804
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; December 1st, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:37 AM   #805
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Here are some photos, taken during spring, of a tall skinny skyscraper being built less than five metres away from M1 Westgate Fwy in Central Melbourne. The 106m tall building named Habitat is a basic build consists of 147 apartments on 33 levels. Construction started last February; this has shot up very quickly. Three photos courtesy of GlennWilson, redbaron12 and erecktion in the Melbourne SSC forums.

Last edited by essendon bombers; December 23rd, 2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:58 AM   #806
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Here are some photos I took of Bowden Spur Road, north east of Melbourne. It is a dirt road that zig- zags underneath power lines in a clearing on a mountainside about 50km from the city. From the top of the mountain the views are suburb; from the bottom it gives way to rolling hills of Nillumbik Shire before the suburbs start. You can just make out the city skyline and the bay on a clear day; unfortunately it did not come out in my photo. This is a great spot to do mountain biking or 4WDriving! But I am not so keen on taking my car up this steep mountainside. I remember this spot because I cycled down it on a school camp.

The mountains are the Kinglake Ranges; the mountains/hills north of Melbourne help form the start of the Great Dividing Range, mountains that follow the east coast of Australia up to Cairns. These ranges and the township of Kinglake were badly affected during the Black Saturday bushfires of February 2009.

Old December 26th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #807
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Brisbane has recently built an interchange that could give Birmingham's famous Spaghetti Junction a run for its money:

(Google Maps link)

Sadly, the satellite view hasn't been updated recently and only shows the interchange in a very early stage of construction:

I may just have to drive up the coast one weekend to see it for myself (and bring back pictures, of course). Brisbane is too far from Sydney for a day trip.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #808
Agusia
d(*_*)b ~{|KR|)

Likes (Received): 15376

Thanks for picts. I'm watching your topic from time to time but I haven't written yet.
Good job Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post

NORTHEAST - Eastern Freeway [m3, formerly state route 83] serves the eastern and north eastern suburbs; taken from Yarra Bend Bridge in Fairfield. This section was built in the 1970s with a big cutting into the hillside; wide enough for a 14 lane freeway, the central median has been kept aside for a possible future (but never been built) Doncaster railway
I love this kind of view. Brilliant.
Maybe someday I will see 5-lane highway in my country - PL.
S7 Wschodnia obwodnica Krakowa
A1 Stryków - Tuszyn (ostatni).
Wszystkie schematy tutaj.

essendon bombers liked this post
Agusia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #809
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

During April I took some photos of the Melbourne Metropolitan Ring Road (see posts #794-7). Today I went to the same spots to take some more photos so can give a construction update.

From the footbridge near Gowanbrae

The grass in Melbourne turns brown really quickly in the summer.
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #810
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Near Sunshine Avenue.
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #811
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

From Pascoe Vale Rd; the higher bridge on the right over the valley was fully open to clockwise bound traffic during July. Now works are on the lower bridge to make this bridge fully dedicated to anticlockwise bound traffic.

A new vantage point from Jacana railway station facing clockwise
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #812
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

From the footbridge near Glenroy; this footbridge was knocked down and replaced since April. Facing clockwise they erected a large new variable message sign few months ago.

I wish that I could take more photos of different parts of the ring road under reconstruction. Unfortunately there aren't overhead footbridges available so that I can take snaps safely.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #813
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

The Western Freeway / Highway (M8 / A8)

The Western Highway is the main interstate inland highway out of Melbourne to Adelaide in South Australia. From Melbourne it treks out west and slightly north to the regional town of Ballarat, then onto Stawell, Horsham through the Wimmera to the State Border; then becomes the Dukes Highway (A8) through Bordertown, Keith to Murray Bridge; it meets the Princes Hwy at Murray Bridge then it become M1 South Eastern Fwy to Adelaide. Once the Hume Hwy and Pacific Hwy projects are completed, it is likely that this highway will be next to receive a major focus by the Federal Government.
Currently divided highway only reaches as far as the Sunraysia Hwy intersection (B220) on the Ballarat Bypass. Over the next ten years this should be extended to Stawell and will be done in stages. Budget funding has meant that currently the works for creating dual standard highway to the town of Beaufort is underway and should be completed within next few years.
The Vicroads Western Hwy project website can be found here: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...aratToStawell/

This picture is of Western Fwy through the satellite suburb of Melton 35km from Melbourne. The grass is so brown that it looks like dirt in the photo.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #814
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

The Western Fwy between Melton and Bacchus Marsh (short 10km section) was recently upgraded. Originally the freeway existed but went into a valley in an area known as Anthony’s Cutting. The freeway had sharp turns and steep gradients in the cutting; it was considered unsafe for future traffic requirements so a new deviation was built to the south. The new deviation ensured a safer, smoother, and quicker journey over the valley.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #815
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Here is picture of the old Western Hwy at the end of Anthony’s Cutting now used as local road, and now redundant sign showing how the freeway bypasses Bacchus Marsh.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #816
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

This section of the highway with services and a motor inn available is just outside Ballarat; it is officially not freeway conditions in this area but still signposted as M8.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #817
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

M8 Ballarat Bypass near Nerrina.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #818
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Earthworks of section between Sunraysia Hwy and Burrumbeet undergoing duplication; and the beautiful Burrumbeet Lake.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #819
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Ballarat itself was founded during the Victorian goldrush era of the 1850s. Today it is the third most populated city in the state of nearly 100,000 people and one of the country’s most populated inland cities. The main street in the city is Sturt Street; it’s quite a nice street with some lovely buildings.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #820
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

It’s common for many country towns to have an ‘Avenue of Honour’ usually it is the main road leading into town. It’s a historic thing; the town honours its fallen soldiers (‘diggers’ nicknamed in oz), mostly from the world wars, with a tree lined avenue and a small monument in the town. This one is of Bacchus Marsh, a nice long avenue. The Freeway runs parallel a couple hundred metres away.

Tags
australia, highways, motorways, roads