daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #861
jesuz1970
we are the world

Likes (Received): 214

sorry

can somebody tell me the name/or the link to that turning tower on the right ??
jesuz1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #862
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...7#post67331597
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #863
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
That skyline is absolutely gorgeous. My only concern is that for all the Neon and Bright Lights of these towers, that there won't be much going on at Ground Level. I have a real fear that Dubai will be more of a Ghost town Skyscrapercity with these buildings serving as monuments of wealth rather than as a thriving city with people everywhere.
I agree 100000%. In NY and pretty much every other city they have been built up slowly and they start off with many small buildings and many streets between them with lots of small stores and shops right at street level. Then as they grow there becomes spaced out shigh rises between the small buildings and roads. In dubai there are barely any streets just big 4 lane ones in each direction and quarter mile or longer rows of parking garages with buildings on top. Im very interested to see how it ends up working out, because the street level which is the absolute most important part of a city seems really bad. Look at london until recently it had almost no tall buildings but it was one of the greatest cities because of the many little streets the small individual buildings and the many different time periods of architecture that were throughtout. Im sure its gonna be a nice city but its gonna be different than any other one before it.

Boston

London

New York

Dubai

image hosted on flickr

I know its not finished here but you can still see what its going to be
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by boss-ton; November 30th, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #864
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

This is not a real comparision.....Comparing streets of Boston ,NY , London which are more than 150-200 years old cities with Dubai not more than 30 years of this development.......If you want to compare than take pics of Deira,Karama,Al Nahda , Jumerah (Dubai Area)and then compare with above pics......
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #865
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

FYI,, Compairing City vs City isn't allowed on SSC
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #866
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

They didn't get the memo apparently, or to high/drunk/whatever to read it.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #867
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2609

"OMG not enough streetlife in between construction sites!!!"

You people can't be serious.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #868
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

You do not understand drone. We have learned that building a group of skyscrapers (office towers and apartments) without anything at the bottom creates a ghost town. People ride the elevator down to the lobby and take a subway, a bus, or a taxi to an area of town with street life. If Dubai has clusters of buildings with only parking garage entrances at street level, what do you do when leaving your apartment? Parts of Manhattan are like this on the weekends.

Here, this is what should be at street level: http://epicentrenc.com/
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #869
PrincessTower
Tallest Block Resident

Likes (Received): 83

Let's not forget the tallest block clusters will have commercial unit and restaurants in the podium, but more importantly is right at the Marina Walk, which is a very nice promenade on the water with beatifuly outdoor restaurants, seating, landscaping, water fountains etc. The dust street between the towers is planned to be Marina Arcade shopping mall with glass roof.

This picture is taken from a tallest block balcony. Ground level is all restaurants and shops, even has a pedal car and bike rental place for kids. So please, unless you've been there please keep the ghost town talk to a minimum...
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by PrincessTower; November 30th, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
PrincessTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #870
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuz1970 View Post
can somebody tell me the name/or the link to that turning tower on the right ??
It's the Infinity Tower.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #871
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10267

Quote:
Originally Posted by firoz bharmal View Post
This is not a real comparision.....Comparing streets of Boston ,NY , London which are more than 150-200 years old cities with Dubai not more than 30 years of this development.......If you want to compare than take pics of Deira,Karama,Al Nahda , Jumerah (Dubai Area)and then compare with above pics......
Time doesn't equate with street level vibrancy. Singapore, Tel Aviv, and even cities like Shenzhen have thriving, lively ground level activity despite being relatively new. I wasn't comparing cities with my post but to somehow say time will mend everything isn't generally true. Proper urban planning is all that is needed and i was merely saying that I fear Dubai's development has been monolith-centered at the expense of ground level development.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #872
AltinD
The Modecator

There is no golden rule in urban development. What works somewhere doesn't necessarily works elsewhere with different climate, geography, social and demographic composition, so lets put thisto rest and followthe construction progress and that alone!
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM   #873
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2253

Quote:
Time doesn't equate with street level vibrancy. Singapore, Tel Aviv, and even cities like Shenzhen have thriving, lively ground level activity despite being relatively new. I wasn't comparing cities with my post but to somehow say time will mend everything isn't generally true. Proper urban planning is all that is needed and i was merely saying that I fear Dubai's development has been monolith-centered at the expense of ground level development.
You guy's are comparing the Dubai Marina the wrong way with other city's. Don't forget this is a neighborhood where the majority of apartment's are vacation home's close to the beach, and most of the owner's don't reside in Dubai. People come, and go, and on top of that it's still a construction zone for a few more year's to come.

Compare it with let's say Monte Carlo, vaction homes also, tax free zone, thing's are more laid back, less people, less traffic, it's more about tranquility.
The more the city develope's, the more you will get a sense of community.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:55 AM   #874
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Marina 101 - dark & strait & dominating - but there's white covered cladding for about 18 floors all around the tower...

01/December/2010 by 234sale from www.skyscraperlist.com:

[IMG]http://i51.************/fkcodj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/vy4o40.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/30b2oi1.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM   #875
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

This one seems to really have slowed down.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM   #876
AltinD
The Modecator

Structural transition always seams to be a lazy work.
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #877
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

The part which is completed until now is al the way from the bottom to the top about the same. I think for +400m that's very special if you know what I mean. Every other tower that high in the world has changing shapes vertically, just look at petronas, taipei, burj all those towers are changing, while this one stays the same, until now, but of course soon the top will come...

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #878
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Marina 101 completion by 2011-end despite 60% defaults

No contracts terminated in what was once billed as the tallest hotel tower in world

Parag Deulgaonkar

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Dubai-based property developer, is going all out to complete Marina 101, by 2011-end despite default rate being as high as 60 per cent. (SUPPLIED)

Sheffield Real Estate, a Dubai-based property developer, is going all out to complete Marina 101, by 2011-end, despite the default rate being as high as 60 per cent.

Abu Ali Malik Shroff, Chairman, Sheffield Real Estate, told Emirates 24/7: “Marina 101 is almost 75 per cent complete and is expected to be completed by 2011-end.”

Although default rates by bulk investors in the tower are as high as 60 per cent, the company has not yet terminated a single contract.

“We are trying to discuss with the buyers ways and means to come to a mutual understanding but we at the present time are not looking at terminating their contracts. We haven’t finalised on what action we will take against the defaulters in the future.”

Marina 101 comprises 101 floors, rising approximately 432-metres along with the crown and covering a total built up area of 1.68 million square feet. The first 32 floors will be dedicated to a 5-star hotel, while the rest floors from 34 to 100 will be furnished apartments.

Retail space will only be on the ground floor. Apart from five restaurants in the hotel tower, there will be 252 one-, 204 two- and 42 three-bedroom apartments with eight penthousesfrom the 97th to the 100 floor.

Sheffield, which had guaranteeing up to 75 per cent return on the net income in the first three years after possession of the unit in the tower, still intents to keep its promise.

“The rent plan, offered to the initial investors, still stands,” he added.

Although Marina 101 was proclaimed to be the world’s tallest hotel and furnished apartments at the launch in June 2006, the developer now said they do not want to comment on anything till such time they get an official status of the project as being the world’s “tallest hotel and furnished apartment.”

According to Shroff, they have cancelled five projects in Dubai where no sales were registered.

“So technically, we haven’t’ cancelled any project since we did not register any sale in these projects. So we haven’t paid any compensation nor have we issued any credit notes.”

Sheffield currently has a land bank of two million square feet, but has no intentions of selling any.

“We plan to hold on to it till such time we are sure that the market will accept new projects,” Shroff added.

http://www.emirates247.com/property/...12-07-1.325950
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #879
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

So in fact Marina 101 is a financial tightrope walk - no wonder construction "walks" so slowly now. I bet the lower 50-60 floors are far from attractive with that limited view, often closely facing neighbours' balconies.
Let's hope they can keep their promise of a 2011 completion date!
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #880
boschb
boschb

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
are you kidding me, have you ever seen pics of the markets and streets across Dubai creek in the older areas, they also have much street life
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai, dubai marina