daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Completed Projects and Thread Archive > Completed Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1601
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 20

i just read the ABC article and it said the issue has been resolved etc...

which just means the government will get these workers their pay while hundreds of other construction companies will continue to withhold wages.

the really good news here, and what makes it different from recent protests, is that there was the simultaneous sympathy strike at the Airport construction site.

Only by these workers staging a city-wide strike spanning ALL construction companies will the issue of their rights progress to the next stage.

otherwise its simply one company at a time brought into line - which would take forever.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:19 PM   #1602
docc

Likes (Received): 0

L2b,

You think they care? You think they would WANT labourers to bring their families here? I think Dubai is trying to create an image of a city only for the Rich and the Ultr-rich. A rather foolish and impractical dream if you ask me.

2 steps forward and one backward if you ask me....
docc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:27 PM   #1603
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 81

Well, since this occured in the burj dubai project, they really need to do something to save their face and hopefully something will be done.

But come one, even a minimum wage of 10$ a day.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1604
Tractor

Quite scary in a time when the UK is raising its minimum wage to £5.35 PER HOUR in October ... which is around $9!!
Tractor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:54 PM   #1605
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Yup, here in Ireland it's 7.65 euros an hour
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:06 AM   #1606
Darth Shemp
Armani

Are they all working today? If so, It didn't take much to get global attention.

It is because of this building alone that the world is reading about it in all media outlets.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:45 AM   #1607
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 70

Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1608
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 4

these companies really start to move dubai in a bad direction

i have no respect for what the comanies are doing and this time it's a big company! al naboodah!!

the government better gets this straight asap to satisfy the workers needs and justified demands!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1609
thedubailife
To Infinty and Beyond

Likes (Received): 1

Hi Guys,

What do you think to the idea of a petition.....i.e from investors in dubai, which is maybe sent to EMARR, UAE Governement / Embassy and maybe this consturction company which employs these workers and other companies if we can get detials.

The Logistics of this i can sort out but we would need to draft maybe a 3 or 4 point document with our concerns / demands for labourers in Dubai.

so maybe one point would be i/we the Investors in Dubai would like the Goverment of Dubai and the construction companies to agree a fair minium wage for the Labour Workers in Dubai.

What do you think to idea also open to suggestions of what points we should raise in a nice but firm way.
thedubailife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM   #1610
Marco Polo

I fully support those protests. Enough is enough. No more slavery. This is a major disgrace and blemish on Dubai's image.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:21 PM   #1611
Naz UK
Back in Blighty

Location: Roswell, Area 51, Classified, United States of Americanisms.

EXACTLY. I thought that we can raise the issue on forums like this (and oh yes, they, the government, Emaar, and the rest DO read these forums, you can bet your life!) then some good news should hopefully come from the government to resolve these issues.

I suppose, any consolation is good news, even if these workers don’t get every tiny issue resolved.

Lets say if it gives them a better rate of pay, better housing and healthcare. I think these are the important issues.

DUBAI GOVERNMENT - PLEASE TAKE NOTE IF YOU ARE READING THIS, US INVESTORS, IN EUROPE, AND THE REST OF THE WORLD DO SUPPORT THE RIGHTS OF THESE WORKERS FULLY. DO NOT IGNORE THEM, COZ THESE GUYS ARE THE BACKBONE TO YOUR TREMENDOUS GROWTH IN THE LAST FEW YEARS, AND INDEED THE CONTINUING GROWTH IN THE FUTURE.

DECENT CIVILISED INVESTORS WILL STOP PUTTING THEIR MONEY INTO PROJECTS THAT USE SLAVE LABOUR WITH APPAULING CONDITIONS.

ITS YOUR CHOICE DUBAI GOVERNMENT.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1612
dubaiquote
New2Dubai

Hi

I got all this sorted have a dubai website which is news based , we had an idea of an ezine about dubai the first issue was in production , ie writing was being done etc.

We have now decided to focus our main article on this issue , only problem is we need a hard hitting picture of a dubai worker / builder to use as an image for the magazine cover (well its just online magazine) we cant afford to pay getty or anyone as we are doing all this for free and we are not seeling anything on the site at all , just providing news etc. If anyone has an image around that shows constuction workers please let us have a look , we will give 100% full credits for its use and will only use it with your permission. Like i said before its a 100% free non commerical site , we have deciced to change the subject matter of our first ezine to cover this issue.

I am not trying to pormote the site so i wont put its name here , just need a photo

Thanks if anyone can help if not thanks as well

Waseem
dubaiquote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1613
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 13

nevermind, put the link here i want to see this website.

can't think of any shot at the moment though...
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #1614
dubaiquote
New2Dubai

site is http://www.thedubailife.com
dubaiquote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #1615
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiquote
Hi

I got all this sorted have a dubai website which is news based , we had an idea of an ezine about dubai the first issue was in production , ie writing was being done etc.

We have now decided to focus our main article on this issue , only problem is we need a hard hitting picture of a dubai worker / builder to use as an image for the magazine cover (well its just online magazine) we cant afford to pay getty or anyone as we are doing all this for free and we are not seeling anything on the site at all , just providing news etc. If anyone has an image around that shows constuction workers please let us have a look , we will give 100% full credits for its use and will only use it with your permission. Like i said before its a 100% free non commerical site , we have deciced to change the subject matter of our first ezine to cover this issue.

I am not trying to pormote the site so i wont put its name here , just need a photo

Thanks if anyone can help if not thanks as well

Waseem

Last edited by Tom_Green; March 24th, 2006 at 06:58 AM.
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #1616
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

profound, Tom Green, utterly profound~~

heavy issue gentlemen, but safe to say we all agree that what's been promised to the (hard-working) workers should and needs to be delivered, as promised...

DUBAI 2006 -- Welcome!! :)
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #1617
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Here's another one from doka:

Old March 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1618
docc

And people wonder, why these are called the "Dark Ages"...
docc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #1619
Naz UK
Back in Blighty

Location: Roswell, Area 51, Classified, United States of Americanisms.

Every news agency in the world (BBC, AP, Reuters, CNN, Fox) is now onto this issue of workers rights in Dubai...If the government fails to act quickly to sort this mess out, its political suicide for Sheikh Mohammed & Co. End of story. He may as well start demolishing the construction sites now.

He should be fully aware that hot on the heels of the failed Dubai Ports bid in the US, the Western media will already be geared up for any bad news coming out of Dubai, especially the US media, probably salivating at the mouth to pounce on such a news story. Is this the kind of PR Dubai needs in America? A country which already sees Dubai (and the rest of the M.E) in a grossly negative light?

I must admit, Dubai is pretty shit at the whole PR thing. Seriously. It needs to have a serious look at who it employs (agencies etc) or delegates all its PR work to....coz whoever is in charge, is shit has his/her job!
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #1620
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 13

i also noticed this and totally agree with you.

this will cause a very bad light on dubai and especially in the US media.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
burj dubai, downtown, dubai, tallest building