daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #81
[email protected]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Tohoku Shinkansen, Tokaido Shinkansen, Sanyo Shinkansen, Kyushu Shinkansen are one route, but different in a company. The transfer is not necessary, too. By total, it is 1,771.51 kilometers.

Touhoku shinkansen 535.3km
Toukaidou shinkansen 552.6km
Sanyou shinkansen 553.7km
Kyusyu shinkansen 129.970km
total 1,771.51km

-----------------------------------------------------------------
p-s-30@za2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #82
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

No-one seems to understand what this thread was originally about, so I'll give up too ...

Here's the longest (or 2nd longest) rail trip you can make by regularly scheduled passenger services in Australia: it's about 8,000 km.

6 am Wednesday: you get on the "Australind" in Bunbury, Western Australia.

8:30 am: you arrive at Perth, the WA Capital, 205 km north. Twiddle your fingers for a couple of hours ...

11:55 am: depart on the "Indian Pacific". A long haul, 4353 km. Three nights on the train before you arrive in Sydney, 10:15 am Saturday.

But they have a piano and a bar ... and a stopover, for an hour or two, wherever it's interesting. A really good trip.

16:20 Saturday: depart for Brisbane on the XPT. Your fourth night on the train!

6:30 am Sunday: arrive Roma Street Brisbane. Probably the sun is just rising. (I have actually done this bit myself). You have travelled about 5,500 km from your original station: there is a train leaving in just over two hours, but it won't connect to your eventual destination. Will you wait in Beautiful Brisbane, or jump on the train to Tropical Townsville, and do the same thing there?
Either way, you spent 24 hours- and another night- on "The Queenslander". And two nights in a steamy Queensland den of vice. (Actually you could have spent this time in Sydney instead )

14:00 Thursday ... the Inlander pulls out for Mt. Isa, about 8,000 km from Bunbury by the most direct route

11:05 Friday: well here you are in Mt. Isa, 8000 km (my estimate is actually 7772) by rail from Bunbury, and six nights on four trains: and two in a cheap hotel. Actually you're rather closer to Bunbury than where you were four nights back ...

Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #83
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Not bad!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM   #84
oberoende

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjkjk View Post
Using europan train timatable system (include parts of asia) i get these:

Vila Real Santo Antonio
Faro(P)
Lisboa Oriente
Hendaye
Lille Europe
Bruxelles-Midi
Köln Hbf
Warszawa Wschodnia
Brest Central
Minsk(BY)

58 h. 58 min, 4600 km

Minsk(BY)
Nowoalekseewka
Taiga
Ulan-Ude Pass
Djida
Bejing

230 h. 52 min, 9714 km

chinese timetalbe as far i can understand:

Bejing
Kunming

38 h. 40 min 3163 km

form vietnamese timetable:

Bejing
Hanoi

39 h. 54 min 2967 km

Hanoi
Saigon

41h 1762 km
From Narvik to Minsk is probably about the same distance as from Portugal to Minsk. However, this is assuming that there are no valid services between Boden and Haparanda. Therefore you have to take the long way around, via Stockholm, Copenhagen, Kolding, Hamburg, Berlin, Warsaw, Minsk.
oberoende no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #85
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberoende View Post
From Narvik to Minsk is probably about the same distance as from Portugal to Minsk. However, this is assuming that there are no valid services between Boden and Haparanda. Therefore you have to take the long way around, via Stockholm, Copenhagen, Kolding, Hamburg, Berlin, Warsaw, Minsk.
But Bunbury to Mt Isa ... or Kunming to Thurso ... is far farther.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #86
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
But Bunbury to Mt Isa ... or Kunming to Thurso ... is far farther.
I think he was taking about the longest direct route to Minsk. From there on, the longest direct route is pretty obvious I guess. I wonder whether Norway, Scotland, or Portugal is the longest route to Minsk however.
Joop20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #87
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
(walking from platform to platform accepted)

My guess for the longest is Thurso or Wick to Ho Chi Minh City ....
Day1:
Vila Real de Santo Antonio - Faro > Regional train = 50km
Faro - Lisboa > "Alfa Pendular" = 300km
Lisboa - Hendaye > "Sud Express" night train = 1000km
or in alternative:
Lisboa - Porto > "Alfa Pendular" = 320km
Porto - Vigo > "international" = 170km
Vigo - Irun > "diurno" = 800km
>>> between 1350km and 1640km and we didn't even reached France.

Day2:
Hendaye - Paris > TGV Atlantique = 750km

And from there in a straight line it's:

9500km to PUSAN
10.750km to Singapore
10.200km to anywhere in Vietnam coast

Take your pick and select a route acordingly ...

We can add some soundabout intermediat stops like going all the way up to scandinavia or the middle east (?)

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #88
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by empersouf View Post
There used to be a single rail line from Lisboa to Hanoi!
So you could travel between Portugal and Vietnam without changing train.

And I think, in terms of this thread, you could hop on a train in Lulea, Sweden and end up in Hanoi Vietnam.....
That would be longer than Thorso-Hanoi I think?
Quote:
You could never do this without changing trains, but I sense we are talking about the same thing ... only using certain English words differently.

My guess is that Lagos, Portugal, id probably further from Hanoi by rail than Thurso, Scotland is. Narvik, norway, looks more distant than Lulea, Sweden, but you could take a short-cut through Finland and St. Petersberg.

There was a railway from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) ... don't know if it's still working.

My rail atlas suggest you can travel from Capetown thus:

Capetown-Kimberely-Bulawayo(Zimbawe)-Victoria Falls-Lusaka(Zambia)-'Dar-es-Salam'(Tanzania)-Moshi-Voi(Kenya)-Nairobi-Mbale(Uganda)-Murchison Falls.

Maps on the internet suggest that the Iranians are bridging the gap between Yazd, Kerman, & Zahedan and hence there will be a continuous line (albeit with break of gauge) from Istanbul or Europe via Russia and Armenia to Chittagong, Bangladesh.

Routed From Vila real (south of portugal) via Lisboa , Madrid , Valencia , Barcelona , Lyon , Paris , Brussels , Amsterdam(?) , Hamburg , Copenhagen , Stockholm , Helsinki , S.Petersburg , Moscow and from there the "transsiberian" up to Vladivostock ... more than 16.000km.

From Vladivostock one can go further south to Nothern Korea and then china and all the way to "southeast asa" increasing some thousand quilometers to the route ...

Hanoi at 20.000km
Ho Chi Minh at 21.000km

There is a 200km gap between Phnom Penh and Ho chi Minh ... we could easily add some 2500km more.

Mianmar , Thailand Malaisia and Cambodja are not connected to the eastern networks so we end at Vietnam.

Any other possible follow up is easily reached by shorter routes.

this of course bipasses the "direct" route from Moscow to southern China.

and Norway is near the "shortcut" of going by northen Sweden wich is actualy the "not" shortest route from western europe to Russia.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça

Last edited by sotavento; March 26th, 2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #89
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The tough part regarding Russia's railroads is that the gauge difference between them (1520 mm) and 'standard' gauge (1435 mm) was set as such by the Czars to make it as difficult as possible for invading armies to use their railroads. The difference was large enough to prevent direct running between them but too small to allow laying a third rail to easily create dual-gauge track.

I'm interested in that item about Spain planning to regauge its track to standard gauge. Is there any set timeline for that?

Also (and very interesting, too), from what I am aware of, China's railroads are 100% compatible with those of North America (Canada, Mexico, USA). That is why I am thinking that if a direct North America-Asia rail link is ever built (under the Bering Straits), it would likely all be built to such gauge and equipment standards. I am also aware of ongoing plans to build a standard-gauge railroad between China and western Europe, allowing China-Europe commerce to go direct rather than transiting North America (ship -> rail across USA and/or Canada -> ship).

That said and I have not checked, but how long is Amtrak's Sunset Limited route (Florida <-> Los Angeles, CA)?

Mike
Portugal and spanish Gaudes were simply "imperial measures".

Portugal = 5 imerial feet
Spain = 6 pés castellanos

For a long period of time both countries had actualy a DIFEERENT gaude some few centimeters apart from one another but fully compatible to reciprocal rolingstock usage.

Portuguese early network was actualy built at 1435mm and later changed to 1667mm (using the outside holes as the new inside holes in sleepers) ... spanish network was standardised at 1672mm ... later on both were changed to some loosely defined 1668mm.

the main reason for the gauge at 1,67m was to accomodate larger boilers in the locomotives (thus more powerfull) ... wich resulted in the construction of high gradient routes in places the early gauge would cause problems.

Argentina still uses 1672mm on some areas of their network.

[QUOTE=Yardmaster;15458403]I would have thought Hanoi was further from Portugal than Vladivostok: further back in the thread, Norway & Scotland were also candidates for the western end of the trip.[/QUOT

The further one can get from Moscow in western europe is at "Vila Real de Santo Antonio" as the routes from there and Lagos join at a point more close to Lagos and then follow north to lisboa and entroncamernto (where the route to madrid diverges from the main line).

VRSA-Moscow is a little over 4200km ... there is no other point of europe at more than that:

3300km (sicily - Italy)
3500km (thurso/Wick - Scotland)
3700km (Bodo-Norway)
— Eça
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #90
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Using the figures from the Thomas Cook European Railway timetable I have just prepared a number of spider's web diagrams with a mass of distance figures: by my reckoning, Narvik is 2614 km by rail from Hamburg. One of things I'd like to clear up is the longest rail journey in Europe (accepting Moscow as the east boundary of Europe at this stage, but allowing Murmansk & Sebastopol). The distances are given in km.

There's about another 2000 km to get from Hamburg to Madrid, and quite a bit more after that .... or am I misreading the timetable? (mine is two years old).

Last edited by Yardmaster; December 19th, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: checked figures ...
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #91
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Look forward to your diagrams. Though the Ural Mountains are the defined as the Eastern Boundary of Europe by all accounts, not Moscow.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #92
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Look forward to your diagrams. Though the Ural Mountains are the defined as the Eastern Boundary of Europe by all accounts, not Moscow.
Sorry, no timetables available here for that part of Europe!
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #93
sotavento

Just got bored so I ended up drawing a PATH in google earth and remembered this topic:

Vila Real de Santo Antonio-Faro (in the algarve/portugal huelva/andalucia/spain border)
Faro-Tunes-Funcheira
Funcheira-Beja
Beja-Lisboa
Lisboa-Caldas-FigueiraFoz
FigueiraFoz-Cantanhede/Coimbra
Coimbra-Porto (notice that there are direct Faro-Porto HST AlfaPendular)
Porto-Vigo (using the international train)
vigo-Corunha
Corunha-Ourense-Medina
Medina-Salamanca-Guarda (back into portugal using the SUDEXPRESSO in the oposite direction)
Guarda-CasteloBranco-Abrantes
Abrantes-Caceres (using the international talgo lusitania on it's way to madrid)
Caceres-Merida-Huelva
Huelva-Sevilla-Antequera(?)-Cordoba-Puertollano-CuidadReal-Aranjuez(?)-Albacete-Murcia(?)-Valencia-Cuenca-Madrid

That get's me some 3800/4000km already and I'm still in the middle of the iberic peninsula ...and I didn't even started to use the nortern narrow gauges nor the catalunha system.

5600km to reach Barcelona (going by Valladolid-Oviedo-Zaragoza-Castellon-Lleida) and some 6200km to reach Biarritz ...
— Eça
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #94
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Yeah, but I'm trying to find the shortest "longest" (that is the most direct longest) route between two places on the continent, or on the Earth, by rail. It may well be that Vila Real de Santa Antonio ends up at one end of this route ... I'm not tyrying to put down the Portuguese

Since Europe has such a complex rail system, my idea was to define a central hub- not necessarily representing the most heavily trafficed or most important lines- in order to seperate the peripheral zones (or peninsulas!), to make it easier to establish the greatest extent of the system. The entire British system, for instance, can be connected to the hub at Lille, and the Scandanavian system at Hamburg (leaving aside the issue of the connection to Finland for the monent, which does not carry passenger traffic I am informed). As things stand, I believe Wick to be the furthest point by (passenger) rail in the UK, 1077 km from London, and 1344 km from Lille (my figures are probably out of date due to new trackwork). By my calculations (which may be wrong, but at least they come in components), that's 4576 rail-km from Wick to Narvik ... through Brussels, Aachen, Koln, Dortmund, & Hannover.I should be able to calculate the rail-km from Plymouth to Bergen pretty easily, too: they'll be about 900 km less on the Scandanavian end ... and a bit more than 700 km less at the UK end.

The Iberian, Italian, and Balkan Peninsulas are a little harder to analyze: I can probably reference the latter to Nis. But Spain's connections, both through Bordeaux and Barcelona, make things more complicated, as is the case in Italy.

Hence while I can identify Lille, Hamburg, Nis and maybe Warsaw as nodes on the periphery of this Central European hub, it's not so easy in the south-west.
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM   #95
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
You should play around with Germany's National Rail web site. Naturally, you would expect to be able to check train time tables in Germany, but their site is so good, you can almost pick any destination around the world you could get to "from Germany" by train.

Seriously. The site has an English page, so you can easily do your own searches, but keep in mind that German place names may differ from the English.

I done a quick search for tomorrow morning from Thurso, Scotland to Beijing (or Peking as the Germans still call it) and got this: Link

Travelling time 8.8days and 6 changes.

try starting at http://www.db.de/site/bahn/en/start.html this is the English page at www.db.de

I'm sure with a bit of searching, you could find some distance longer. Also, keep in mind that www.db.de would probably try to find the shortest or quickest route. Of cause, you really good find a much longer one if you really wanted to ;O)
Your link doesn't work any more. Maybe you could copy and paste your results?

I don't know where to go from your start link. Usually I just go to bahn.hafas.de, but it refuses to give me the option for Ho Chi Minh (or Hong Kong).
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM   #96
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Just tried it again and it came up with this: (221 hours and 5 changes). If the link below doesn't work, just type in Thurso, Scotland to Peking at www.db.de

Link
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:38 AM   #97
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7710

Any way to travel between the two places without passing through Russia?
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:43 AM   #98
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Yes, through Iran. There is a service from Ankara to Teheran, I think (and the train goes on a ferry on lake Van), but there is no train line from Zahedan to Quetta. Out of Quetta to Lahore there is a beautiful line through the mountains, with lots of tunnels and bridges, built a hundred years ago by the British.
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:22 AM   #99
sotavento

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm trying to find the shortest "longest" (that is the most direct longest) route between two places on the continent, or on the Earth, by rail. It may well be that Vila Real de Santa Antonio ends up at one end of this route ... I'm not tyrying to put down the Portuguese

Since Europe has such a complex rail system, my idea was to define a central hub- not necessarily representing the most heavily trafficed or most important lines- in order to seperate the peripheral zones (or peninsulas!), to make it easier to establish the greatest extent of the system. The entire British system, for instance, can be connected to the hub at Lille, and the Scandanavian system at Hamburg (leaving aside the issue of the connection to Finland for the monent, which does not carry passenger traffic I am informed). As things stand, I believe Wick to be the furthest point by (passenger) rail in the UK, 1077 km from London, and 1344 km from Lille (my figures are probably out of date due to new trackwork). By my calculations (which may be wrong, but at least they come in components), that's 4576 rail-km from Wick to Narvik ... through Brussels, Aachen, Koln, Dortmund, & Hannover.I should be able to calculate the rail-km from Plymouth to Bergen pretty easily, too: they'll be about 900 km less on the Scandanavian end ... and a bit more than 700 km less at the UK end.

The Iberian, Italian, and Balkan Peninsulas are a little harder to analyze: I can probably reference the latter to Nis. But Spain's connections, both through Bordeaux and Barcelona, make things more complicated, as is the case in Italy.

Hence while I can identify Lille, Hamburg, Nis and maybe Warsaw as nodes on the periphery of this Central European hub, it's not so easy in the south-west.
I don't care If you try to put down or not some forsaken place ... not at all

I just started counting trips after trips and see what one could get using a chain of connections ...

there are some thousands of possible ways to travel direct using a small amount of interchanges ... but only in europe can you go rollercoaster stile and not cross your previous course.

the fastest way to get out of here would be:

VRSA-Faro = regional
Faro-Lisboa = Alfa Pendular (FIAT Pendolino tilting train) or InterCity
Lisboa-Irun = Sud express
Irun-Paris = morning TGV

Leave at mid-day and arrive in Paris before lunch of next day ...
— Eça
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #100
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
I'll get back to this ... but other commitments keep me off-line for the next few weeks. Happy New Year!