daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:49 PM   #181
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #182
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/f...a-railway.html

Canaveral Port Authority seeks to revive NASA railway
29 Oct 2014

USA: Canaveral Port Authority has announced its intention to apply to the Surface Transportation Board for powers to build and operate a rail link between its port on Atlantic and the Florida East Coast Railway near Titusville, Florida. This would eliminate the need for road haulage between the port and a suitable railhead.

In documents published on October 27, CPA said the Port Canaveral Rail Extension would require the construction of 18 km of new single-track railway including a bridge across the Banana River, and would also make use of 27 km of the existing rail network within the John F Kennedy Space Center which has been out of use since the end of NASA’s Space Shuttle programme.

Initial traffic is envisaged at 170 wagon round trips per week in three or four trains moving at around 16 km/h, with an additional 50 double-stack intermodal wagons/week envisaged with 2½ years of the start of services.

The project would also maintain the possibility of providing rail services to support the launching of space vehicles.
Old October 31st, 2014, 01:40 PM   #183
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...way-locos.html

GE delivering Florida East Coast Railway locos
31 Oct 2014

GE Transportation ES44C4 locomotive for Florida East Coast Railway

USA: Florida East Coast Railway is about to take delivery of the first of 24 GE Transportation ES44C4 locomotives which it ordered in January.

All of the Tier 3 compliant Evolution Series locomotives are scheduled to arrive in Florida by the end of the year. The four-motored locomotives will be used to haul intermodal, wagonload, automotive and port freight traffic on the railway's 560 km Jacksonville – Miami main line.

‘These locomotives will provide the fuel-efficient power we need to support current operations and the future growth of the railroad,’ said Fran Chinnici, Senior Vice-President of Mechanical, Engineering & and Purchasing at FECR.

mrsmartman, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #184
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

CP sells Delaware & Hudson lines to NS
Tuesday, November 18, 2014

CANADIAN Pacific announced on November 17 that its Delaware & Hudson Railway (D&H) subsidiary has agreed to sell a 455km section of its network in the northeastern United States to Norfolk Southern (NS) for $C 217m ($US 192.6m)

The transaction concerns the line from Sunbury, Pennsylvania, to Schenectady, New York, which connects with the existing NS network at Sunbury and Binghamton, New York. The acquisition of the line will give NS direct access from Chicago and the southeastern United States to Albany, New York, and the railway's recently-completed intermodal terminal at Mechanicville, New York. NS will also gain improved links to its joint venture subsidiary Pan Am Southern, which serves New England

Old January 8th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #185
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...ocomotive.html

Norfolk Southern unveils publicly-funded GP33ECO locomotive
08 Jan 2015

USA: A GP33ECO shunting locomotive remanufactured from an EMD GP50 at Norfolk Southern’s Juniata Locomotive Shop in Altoona, Pennsylvania, using funding from the Congestion Mitigation & Air Quality Improvement Program was unveiled on January 6.

A total of 25 locomotives are being repowered with Tier 3 compliant EMD 12-710 ECO engines rated at 3 000hp, which are intended to offer lower emissions than existing older designs. The first two locomotives are to be deployed in Chicago and Atlanta following in-service testing.

Funding for the Chicago locomotive was awarded by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency, sponsored by Illinois Environmental Protection Agency and administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Funding for the locomotive to be used at the Atlanta Terminal in Georgia was awarded by the state’s Department of Natural Resources Environmental Protection Division

Old January 10th, 2015, 03:57 AM   #186
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
This makes me wonder. I though an aircraft fuselage would be outside the loading gauge of even US railways. Is the MRL a special case? Has their line had the loading gauge adapted for this kind of transport?
I've seen those come through Kansas City before. They are either being shipped to or from Wichita.
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #187
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/north-america/bnsf-reveals-details-of-$us-6bn-2015-capital-plan.html?channel=535

BNSF reveals details of $US 6bn 2015 capital plan
Friday, January 16, 2015

BNSF Railway has unveiled details of major projects in its $US 6bn 2015 capital programme, the largest planned capital expenditure in the company's history, which was first announced last November

The investments include $US 2.9bn for the replacement and maintenance of the core network and related assets, nearly $US 1.5bn for expansion and efficiency projects, $US 200m for continued implementation of Positive Train Control (PTC), and around $US 1.4 billion for new locomotives, wagons, and other equipment.

In BNSF's North Region (Illinois, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, and Wisconsin), the railway will spend around $US 1.5bn on infrastructure maintenance and enhancement projects, around $US 700m of which is allocated to PTC implementation. BNSF says its North Region has experienced the most rapid growth in recent years, largely thanks to the expansion of the shale oil industry

Old February 9th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #188
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/f...programme.html

Union Pacific announces $4·3bn capital programme
09 Feb 2015

USA: Union Pacific Corp has announced a 2015 capital programme valued at $4·3bn, which it says is an increase of $200m on 2014.

UP said the programme would be ‘driven primarily by equipment acquisitions and infrastructure investments’. Spending on Positive Train Control is expected to total $450m, up from $385m in 2014

Old March 12th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #189
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Some Cold Freight from Jonathan Lee

BNSF 7567 South, Riverdale, Illinois
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

NS 1102 East, Oak Park, Illinois

Lumber - Portland, Oregon

RJCR 4119 North, Canal Fulton, Ohio

Snowed In
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #190
Nexis
Dark Wolf

CSX Train in Pennsauken,NJ

CSX and Philadelphia Skyline viewed from Pennsauken,NJ
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

CSX Freight train approaching the Delair Bridge in Pennsauken,NJ

CSX Freight train approaching the Delair Bridge in Pennsauken,NJ

CSX Freight train crossing the Delair Bridge in Pennsauken,NJ

CSX Blue Oil tanker

End of the train
Old April 15th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #191
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Oil tank cars would be retrofitted or retired to make freight tracks safer under proposed bill

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...l#incart_river

Old April 15th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #192
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The graph in the middle of the page drew my attention. What's the reason that from 2010 on the number of incidents has increased so much?
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #193
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

The shale oil boom has left pipeline capacity wanting, so a lot of oil is instead transported by rail. More trains on the track carrying oil means more incidents with trains carrying oil.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #194
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownsteler View Post
The shale oil boom has left pipeline capacity wanting, so a lot of oil is instead transported by rail. More trains on the track carrying oil means more incidents with trains carrying oil.
Am I correct to believe that to some extent operators of freight trains in Europe benefit from the fact that many tracks are maintained to higher standards than is the case with many tracks in North America, as most European tracks have to be fit for passenger trains whereas in North America this is not the case?

I'm asking this because I get a sense that derailments in North America happen fairly often. Am I right to have this impression? And if so, are defective tracks the main cause of these incidents?

I sometimes wonder if the people who are angry about the rise in oil trains in North America ought to simply be saying that the railroad companies need to invest more in track improvements.

It's not as if tanker cars are inherently unsafe. Just look at the massive volume of petrochemical traffic operating across the German network. Every day in Germany hundreds of freight trains carry all manner of nasty shit at speeds of 60mph without people protesting and without regular derailments.
TedStriker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #195
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

That's exactly the direction I was thinking of also.

It's incidents like a passenger locomotive that derailed on a curve, because the two rails separated slightly under the weight of the locomotive because of poor sleeper maintenance that get you thinking (they opted for a speed restriction instead of replacing the sleepers?!?).
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #196
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
That's exactly the direction I was thinking of also. It's incidents like a passenger locomotive that derailed on a curve, because the two rails separated slightly under the weight of the locomotive because of poor sleeper maintenance that get you thinking (they opted for a speed restriction instead of replacing the sleepers?!?).
Good to know I'm not the only one. I'm a great admirer of the North American railroad system but sometimes I look at the state of the track on even what are apparently main lines and I see an image of the third world not the first.

In contrast some routes have clearly had a lot of love put into them and I'm sure that eventually there'll be concrete ties and welded rails almost everywhere eventually.
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #197
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Angry worker stole train, called his boss as he blasted down Wyoming tracks

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...ed-his-boss-he

Old April 16th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #198
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Angry worker stole train, called his boss as he blasted down Wyoming tracks http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...ed-his-boss-he
Another one of planet Earth's geniuses in action. He looks a bright chap as well. I doubt that he'll require any books from the prison library.
Old April 16th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #199
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Another one of planet Earth's geniuses in action. He looks a bright chap as well. I doubt that he'll require any books from the prison library.
He got Probation...no Jail time...

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #200
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
He got Probation...no Jail time...
For doing something that had a high chance of causing death and destruction? Blimey.