daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Projects

Projects Los Angeles Metropolitan Projects and Proposals. » Development News

Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM   #121
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
What 800 acre park are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
I'd much rather have more park space instead.
The county buildings erected as vertical structures would free up more space and be out of the way as I've explained. Those buildings represent office space that is sorely needed as the county is growing, I was just suggesting standing the structures on end and getting them out of the way. Twin 40 story towers, clad in white and similar in design with City Hall, or of a classic art deco feel instead, would be a wonderful frame for City Hall as seen from the fountain plaza at The Music Center. The 800 acre park is NY's Central, the one we are comparing to here when mentioning this project. Compare Griffith to Central instead, and develop Griffith.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:37 PM   #122
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
The county buildings erected as vertical structures would free up more space and be out of the way as I've explained. Those buildings represent office space that is sorely needed as the county is growing, I was just suggesting standing the structures on end and getting them out of the way. Twin 40 story towers, clad in white and similar in design with City Hall, or of a classic art deco feel instead, would be a wonderful frame for City Hall as seen from the fountain plaza at The Music Center. The 800 acre park is NY's Central, the one we are comparing to here when mentioning this project. Compare Griffith to Central instead, and develop Griffith.
I could go for that, twin structures of a classic art deco design, with setbacks and the feel of Rockafeller center, (maybe one slightly shorter than the other, the taller one on the 101 freeway side) to frame the City hall, with more park space, the current buildings are just wrong for the setting.!!!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:41 AM   #123
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Griffith IS our Central Park and much better than NYC's park in its preservation of greenspace aspect. If you want a carbon copy of NYC Central Park then you're getting it with this Grand Ave park but get your smelly fingers off of Griffith Park and leave them off! It's a magnificent park just the way it is!
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:15 AM   #124
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 145

thank you Klamedia. Enjoy our city. we dont need shit from other places.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM   #125
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
thank you Klamedia. Enjoy our city. we dont need shit from other places.
That shit from other places you speak of just may be the muddy runoff from the higher elevations of an undeveloped Griffith Park. I'm more a Los Angeles fan than you are and I haven't lived there since '75! Develop the damn park, before it runs away from you. For it's own good.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM   #126
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Griffith IS our Central Park and much better than NYC's park in its preservation of greenspace aspect. If you want a carbon copy of NYC Central Park then you're getting it with this Grand Ave park but get your smelly fingers off of Griffith Park and leave them off! It's a magnificent park just the way it is!
I never made the comparison, that little gem belongs to the developers, and is an embarrasment for others in the country to laugh at! 16 acres compared to, what? 879 acres? Greenspace? What greenspace? That 4000 acre icon needs water on a consistent day to day basis. It's o.k., I suppose, to believe in a natural approach to natural settings. That same mindset almost took Yellowstone National away from our immediate future generations and Griffith was NEVER intended to be a nature preserve! It was meant, by the owner, to be a park setting for the people of the city to USE and enjoy! If you're going to think like a 'naturalist', then Griffith Park will never be more than it is right now, and that's not enough for a city of this size and scope. Keep your smelly fingers where they belong, you know where, and let people with vision (if they're out there) to properly take care of this property! People in the city floor don't need brown hills to look up at, they need a place to go and do more than just hike.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM   #127
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

And though I'm in a suburb of Las Vegas, you will now consider me an Angeleno for all intents and purposes! I defend L. A. far too much on other national forums to be made light of by the likes of Klamedia and Sportsfan.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM   #128
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 141

Back to your padded cell, this is no place for overt sensitivity....especially when it comes to LA. Being on the LA forum you must be hardened to the blows of much lesser places trying to jab at you. Cities w/ not even half of LA's GDP or much less its sustained urban core density or nowhere near the population of its CSA or MSA try to talk shit about our city. Non-Alpha cities w/ nowhere near languages spoken #'s or ethnic diversity try to criticize LA. Cities that have nowhere near the transit ridership even in relationship to its population try to jab LA as a car capital. So I think we should move beyond the argument of I love LA more than you.......all of us who have been on this forum for any amount of time must love a city that is so ubiquitously hated, envied and feared. Let's begin a real dialogue on and about Griffith Park in relationship to the new Grand Ave project, not just comparing dick sizes.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM   #129
soup or man
Diamondz...

Likes (Received): 174

For all your ramblings, you do make valid points. Griffith Park is LA's Central Park. But the Grand Ave park will be downtown Central Park if developed right.

But in regards to the county buildings: I would raze them and build Cal Plaza 3. 60 stories seems like it would be enough.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM   #130
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 39

I don't understand how or why comparisons of Griffith park, and Central park are being made when there is nothing in common between the two, Esp. on this thread.

Lets TRY to stay on the subject at hand,
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #131
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred View Post
But in regards to the county buildings: I would raze them and build Cal Plaza 3. 60 stories seems like it would be enough.
The Cal Plaza site is not close enough to the civic center, and with the LA mentality of not walking, who would want to go from 4th and Olive to the City Hall? The idea of building twin 40 story towers sounds more realistic.
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #132
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 3

whoa..I can't believe I overlooked this:

Grand Avenue Gets Retail Approvals

News Brief

The Grand Avenue project took another significant step forward last week when the City Council approved entitlements and conditional use permits for the residential, retail and restaurant portions of the massive $2 billion development by Related Cos. In approving the recommendations of the city's Planning Department, officials gave the okay for the sale of alcohol at as many as 35 establishments throughout more than 449,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. Included in the measure was the denial of an appeal of the project by the owner of the Bonaventure Hotel. The hotel's attorney has threatened legal action.

page 2, 9/24/2007
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #133
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Back to your padded cell, this is no place for overt sensitivity....especially when it comes to LA.
Sorry, just different stepping off the other forum onto this one, only to be referred to as an 'outsider'! Now you get a sense of what it's like to be there!
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #134
stuckintraffic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Has there been any talk of taking down the county buildings? I assume you guys are talking about these:

and the ones across the park? Or other county buildings?

I don't see how they plan on making this park successful with those concrete blocks in the way.
stuckintraffic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #135
VZN
Caleuphoria

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguyinHtown View Post
whoa..I can't believe I overlooked this:

Grand Avenue Gets Retail Approvals

News Brief

The Grand Avenue project took another significant step forward last week when the City Council approved entitlements and conditional use permits for the residential, retail and restaurant portions of the massive $2 billion development by Related Cos. In approving the recommendations of the city's Planning Department, officials gave the okay for the sale of alcohol at as many as 35 establishments throughout more than 449,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. Included in the measure was the denial of an appeal of the project by the owner of the Bonaventure Hotel. The hotel's attorney has threatened legal action.

page 2, 9/24/2007
Grand Ave. Park sounds like a straight up party. This is only making the anticipation worse... I wonder who's gonna be selling out of there? Upscale shops? Unique shops? Whatever it is, it's a good thing. It's gotta be nice to be able to work downtown and then hit up a nice afterwork bar/restaurant/whatever to wait for the traffic to die down...

And the owner of the Bonaventure (forgot his name) needs to just fuck off.
VZN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #136
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckintraffic View Post
Has there been any talk of taking down the county buildings? I assume you guys are talking about these:

and the ones across the park? Or other county buildings?

I don't see how they plan on making this park successful with those concrete blocks in the way.
God bless alcohol at the Grand project. The County Admin Hall and The County Courthouse should be erected upright on Hill at either corner, to get them out of the way and improve sight lines to other structures. I've had this idea ever since this project appeared on the front page of the L.A. times back in the late 90's?
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #137
stuckintraffic

Likes (Received): 0

yea but has there been any official word on it? It seems like they're pretty close to starting construction on this thing. You'd think if they were going to tear down the county buildings and put up some scrapers so that the park flows with the space around it, they'd have announced it by now...
stuckintraffic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #138
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Likes (Received): 65

... I just need to know the exact day of the Groundbreaking ceremony. I might have to take an extended lunch just for the occassion.
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #139
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

I vaguely remember hearing that the county workers could be put into towers in Phase 3. The proposed office tower could be expanded. It says 12-20 floors but why not make it 30-40 floors?

Old September 26th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #140
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Since final design hasn't been chosen, I wonder what it'll look like?
Here are some samples of some of the entry submissions when they had a competition (i know they're old but i just thought it'd be interesting to see them again):

Submitted by Mia Lehrer+Associates; David Fletcher (lead designer), Jae Uck Ahn, Christopher Alexander, Mia Lehrer & Alexander Robinson

Submitted by Charissa Chan, Jacqueline Nguyen, Alondra Rodriguez & Ruby Sanchez, Cal Poly Pomona Architecture

Submitted by Jennifer Birkeland, Corey Fox, Lauren McCullough, Daniel Miller & Samantha Moran

Submitted by Andrew Rivlin & Ben Warsinske, Cal Poly Pomona

Submitted by Angie Jun, Michelle Licea, David Mabs & Sonia Noriega

Submitted by Derek Allen, Beige Berryman, Virginia Gomez, Todd Hutchins, Steven Mar & L. Lee Wong

Submitted by WET Design, Los Angeles

there's a lot more here:
http://www.learcenter.org/html/proje...=grand/gallery

Tags
dtla, grand project, the grand