daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #301
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

deleted

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #302
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

A personal opinion based on 20 years of studying high speed trains

Measuring start to stop times in railway time tables the following categories of railways exist:

250+ km/h:.............. the real HST leaders
200-250 km/h:......... qualifiers as HST operators
160-199 km/h:......... also rans as HST operators
less than 160 km/h:.. the wannabes
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #303
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
Likewise if you can find anything about neighbouring countries too.
http://www.ugmk.info/?art=1204102283
Ukrainian project for highspeed network with maximum speed of 160km/h using Siemens DS3 locomotives for Euro-2012 is in danger of being canceled, at least according to the article.
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #304
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Notice that here we have NO non stop trains and NO direct international trains.

I just wonder if and when direct HSL Lisboa-Madrid trains start to run at their designated speed of 300 km/h it they will even aknowledge that the high sped trains DO INDEED come to portugal and not simply terminate somewhere along the border line.

This is just to say that railwaygazette has fallen a little bit more in my esteem.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #305
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Notice that here we have NO non stop trains and NO direct international trains.

I just wonder if and when direct HSL Lisboa-Madrid trains start to run at their designated speed of 300 km/h it they will even aknowledge that the high sped trains DO INDEED come to portugal and not simply terminate somewhere along the border line.

This is just to say that railwaygazette has fallen a little bit more in my esteem.
When Portugal actually builds a dedicated high speed line as is currently proposed, but not yet funded, for the Lisboa - Porto route then they should reach 200+ km/h statrt to stop. However the distance is probably to short for Portugal to achieve 250+ km/h which requires some very special situations
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #306
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

http://zdrus.narod.ru/news/0017.html
Some more details:
Quote:
Константин Аверкиев, начальник скоростного отдела службы технической политики ОЖД:
– Уже проведённая реконструкция линии Санкт-Петербург – Москва позволяет электропоездам пройти это расстояние за 3 часа 55 минут
Here October Railway representative says that it is posible to reach St. Petersburg from Moscow in 3:55 now and further upgrades will further reduce it to 3:45. The difference of only 10 minute shows that current upgrade to 250km/h serves a purpose of testing trains and railroads for future developments(possible new 300km/h line in 2015 and further upgrades of current line) than actually speeding up the current line. Well, i expected more, but the fact that trains will reach 250km/h on Moscow - St.Petersburg line still stands.

Quote:
общая стоимость которых оценивается примерно в 16 млрд. руб.,
Cost of the upgrade - 16 bln rubles = $665mln.
So, counting the trains, the cost of the whole affair is $1,6bln

Last edited by Gamma-Hamster; March 5th, 2008 at 04:38 AM.
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #307
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman Dave View Post
A personal opinion based on 20 years of studying high speed trains

Measuring start to stop times in railway time tables the following categories of railways exist:

250+ km/h:.............. the real HST leaders
200-250 km/h:......... qualifiers as HST operators
160-199 km/h:......... also rans as HST operators
less than 160 km/h:.. the wannabes
I assume that REMARK was directed at me and the russian guy wasn't it ???

You indeed are a funny guy.

How come you ASSUME that a company that in the last 10 years has operated 40 or more trains per day at 220km/h is a "wanabee" in the High Speed business ???

If so desired trains could be run at full speed from point A to point B so as to make average times of 220 km/h ... but instead they choose to run them from cities to cities in comercial services ... and here comes the factor of line "conditions" and "traffic".

I give you an example of the wanabeeness of portuguese railways.

Intercity trains run Funcheira-Tunes (only 80km) in 1 (one) hour.
Removing 1 hour from Alfa Pendular times puts PinhalNovo-funcheira (135km) average times at more than 150 km/h ... considering that 35km (10+25km)of those 135km are LIMITED to 100km/h or LESS ... you get MORE than 100km at MORE than 190km/h ... damned be the slow areas and damned be the STOPS sitting in the middle of 220 km/h zones.

those same 25 km are being the main attention of REFER as they are making a new direct route that will remove 10 minutes out of current scheduled time.

But don't get me wrong here ... we don't want to achieve the greatest speeds in the world ... we prefere to have MORE services and FASTER services than what we had previously.

Lisboa to Algarve services have gained almost 2 hours and Lisboa to proto have also gained almost 2 hours ... and that means that we are getting HALF the journey times ... while at the same time the modernization has lead to doubling of the capacity of those lines.

Nobody is in a "wanabee race" in this matter ... but great problems have great solutions.

the 45km SLOW runabound trip between Oriente and Pinhal Novo (in Lisboa metropolitan area) over the 25/4 bridge will be replaced by a 4 track direct route of only 25km "designed" (or more precisely "expected") to be 200/250 km/h ... it will take 30 minutes or more) away ... and will make more room available in 25/4 bridge to urban trains (8 car double deck coaches 12 per way each hour always full ... as the bridge is heavily limited in capacity/tonnage trains cant cross each other over it)

just north of lisbon there are 10km that are an incridible bottleneck (limit of 80/100 km/h 2 tracks acomodate heavy urban , intercity and freight trains) ... a new inland railway line (built to be +300 km/h HSL most in tunnel) will only aliviate the congestion there ... but will allow the urban trains to make full use of current railway

the programmed upgrade of the line north of lisbon continues (remember that only half (about 2/3 actualy) of the line is upgraded with the urban areas heavily congested ... and some minor upgrades in areas currently under work can take by themselves 10m each out of the timetables ...

"someday" in the near future (actualy by 2010/2013) a great revolution will came to portuguese international railway ... the direct line to Madrid will open and then we can speak of an "iberian" High Speed Network ... 3 or 4 more will follow in its tail.

On the "speed average" area I could argue with you but I will only say this ...

It takes 10km to get "at speed" ... we average between 20km and 50km between stops in our InterCity network ... thus we didn't even UPGRADE most of our intercity stock to 200 km/h ... neither our secondary lines got upgraded to 200 km/h as they have THAT many stations.

Direct trains ??? we have NO SPACE to run them ... so instead of TODAY removing 2 or 3 slow trains on the currently almost colapsed "northern" line ... we are projecting/building a new "northern" HSL ... and continuing the upgrades on the old one.

and just notice that PRIOR to the begining of the modernization plan portugal was the european country with MORE level crossings at 2 per quilometer ... nowadays and only half way thru the program we are at 0,2 level crossings per quilometer .. .and that is much more important (at least to us) than dick measuring km/h in A to B.

Off the record: you get currently some 400km of STARING at 200<->220 km/h in nowadays CP trains ... too bad those km's pass real FAST!!!!

Just go to Spain if you want to travel to long periods of time at seemingly high speeds ... we have less space to stretch our wings ... if you get to go up to 200 km/h you better not want to get out in the next stop ...
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça

Last edited by sotavento; March 5th, 2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #308
sotavento

Quote:
When Portugal actually builds a dedicated high speed line as is currently proposed, but not yet funded, for the Lisboa - Porto route then they should reach 200+ km/h statrt to stop. However the distance is probably to short for Portugal to achieve 250+ km/h which requires some very special situations
That depends in the actual layout of the line being built ... it will be a 300 km/h line of roughly 280 km and they expect some confortably 1h10 travel time ... it shoud be some nice and round 250 km/h for direct trains .. .and the intermediate stops could see some higher averages.

The 200km Lisboa-Madrid is a bit of a drawback ... but it can be put at higher speeds in the future so anything gives.

And you are WAY WRONG !!!!

It is not "proposed" ... it is unded final planing stages ... and you are completely oblivious to either portuguese network and its constant revamping and to UIC international rulings on what is or not high speed".

The project of Portuguese High Speed Network ws presented officialy way back in 2005 ... there has been no "discussion" on it ever since.

There are currently 10/12 High speed Line "zones" under final planing stages in portugal ... 2 are past public consultancy and environmental studies ... the rest are at either stage (PC or EIA) ... the more advanced are REALY the Roling Stock purchase and operation on the international HSL:

In december 2007 The european comission PROPOSED the financing of part of the works by Trans-European funds .. .some 383 million Euros.
Source: http://www.rave.pt/noticia20081.asp

In the Porto-Vigo International line: (international "help me write a good contract" bidding)
Source: http://www.rave.pt/concursos/avep_po...1_con_1_ES.pdf
- there are not currently any "zones" under DIA consultancy yet ... still studies studies studies.

In the Lisboa-Madrid we get 5 zones:

1) Lisboa-South railway bridge ... under "re-discussion" since it was decided to place the NEW Lisboa airport in the south margin of the tagus it is being reevaluated the river crossing and the road/rail network in the south bank.
2) Moita-Montemor (74km) ... DIA currently under public consultancy.
3) Montemor-Evora (34km) ... favorable DIA ... Good to go (Includes 1 station at Evora).
4) Evora-Elvas (58km) ... DIA public consultancy has ended ... awaiting go orders.
5) Elvas-(Broder) ... DIA currently under public consultancy (includes conventional lines and acess to international station).
6) Internationa Station ... to be located near Badajoz just the other side of the border ...

1 to 5 see RAVE page .... for 6 see spanish info.

In the Lisboa-Porto line we get:

1) Alenquer-Pombal (120km) ... Favorable DIA ... Good to go (includes 1 station at Leiria)
2) the rest are still under heavy studies ... since they are majorly URBAN corridors they will take more time to get things rolling and include.
- a new station in lisboa
- lisboa-alenquer NEW HSL
- Pombal-Mealhada NEW HSL (70km ... includes station at coimbra)
- Mealhada-Gaia NEW HSL (60km ... includes station at Aveiro)
- a new cross douro line Gaia-Porto-(Sá Carneiro Airport)

About your conception on what are "high speed lines":

UIC/EU consider to be "high speed lines" the folowing:

NEW Lines built to 250km/h or more with "certain" standards

UPGRADED Lines renewed to 200km/h or more with "certain" standards

URBAN Lines with LIMITED SPEED and certain standards ... alowed due to dificulties in inserting HSL in urban areas ...

We currently have some 100km of the 1st , more than 200km of the 2nd and almost everything else in the "northern" line falls in the 3rd category.

From Braga-Porto-Lisboa-Algarve the only ares that are not currently under works and is not "HSL" are Santarem-Entroncamento (will be under eng. works soon) and from funcheira down south.

And in the next 2 to 10 years you will see some 600km of NEW dedicated HSL here.
— Eça
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #309
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Just build it and this discussion becomes moot!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #310
sotavento

Don't you worry about it ... they are buiding them right as we speak.

And that reminds me ... I've got to create (or revive) a thread about portuguese High Speed Network over here.

Care to move this discussion over there ???
— Eça
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #311
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

I've found some new information regarding the High Speed Rail in Turkey. Here's a map from the Turkish railway website:

Apperantly, they're building a high speed line from Istanbul to Ankara, and from Ankara to Konya. Both lines connect at Polatli. Traveling time between Istanbul and Ankara will be 3 hours and 10 minutes when the line is completed, the travel time between Ankara and Konya will be 70 minutes. For further info, see:

http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/tcdding/ankist_ing.htm

I suggest to include these lines on the map.

I've got another remark regarding the map: in the Netherlands, there is a dotted yellow line north-east of Amsterdam. This is probably the new railway line between Lelystad and Zwolle. Although this line will be constructed for speeds up to 200km/h, on parts of this line that speed can't be achieved. Moreover, the Dutch 1.500V overhead wires are not suitable for speeds up to 200km/h as of yet. I therefore suggest to delete this line from the map.

Last edited by Joop20; March 11th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Joop20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #312
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

I have lost track of the latest status of your map, Elf.
Could you repost it as post "260"
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #313
Dinivan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
I've found some new information regarding the High Speed Rail in Turkey. Here's a map from the Turkish railway website:

Apperantly, they're building a high speed line from Istanbul to Ankara, and from Ankara to Konya. Both lines connect at Polatli. Traveling time between Istanbul and Ankara will be 3 hours and 10 minutes when the line is completed, the travel time between Ankara and Konya will be 70 minutes. For further info, see:

http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/tcdding/ankist_ing.htm

I suggest to include these lines on the map.

I've got another remark regarding the map: in the Netherlands, there is a dotted yellow line north-east of Amsterdam. This is probably the new railway line between Lelystad and Zwolle. Although this line will be constructed for speeds up to 200km/h, on parts of this line that speed can't be achieved. Moreover, the Dutch 1.500V overhead wires are not suitable for speeds up to 200km/h as of yet. I therefore suggest to delete this line from the map.
I would hardly qualify this area of Turkey as "European"...
Dinivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #314
amirtaheri

Likes (Received): 1

I would class the Republic of Turkey as a part of Europe thus qualifies for this!
amirtaheri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #315
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinivan View Post
I would hardly qualify this area of Turkey as "European"...
I thought this discussion might come up. In any case, the line will also be connected to the European part of Istanbul through the new Marmary tunnel under the Bosporus. There's also a section planned from Istanbul towards the Greek/Bulgarian border. I don't really care whether the Turkish high speed rail lines are included on the map or not, but I think they should be.

There's a thread on the Turkish SSC about this line:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...326142&page=17

Last edited by Joop20; March 13th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.
Joop20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #316
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I have lost track of the latest status of your map, Elf.
Could you repost it as post "260"
Thought I'd render the very latest updates before reposting. So here is version 15. I've gone with Joop20 and removed the Zwolle-Leystad line - it was pointed out before and on reflection it doesn't adhere to the requirements of the map. I've added in the Redhill-Reading grey line, but this is served by all of 1 train a day and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, although Brighton and Gatwick will be gone altogether by this december. Also, I put in the lst bit of the Madrid - Barcelona that I kept forgetting. And probably other stuff too but I keep forgetting.

Portugal - (aaaggh - help)
Sweden - (AAAGGGHHH - HEEELPP!)

Turkey should go on there if it ever becomes part of the EU, and I will put Russia on there. BUT, basically, I've decided to concentrate on this area and move outwards - next I'll get scandinavia in line and then move further eastwards.

elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #317
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

I don't know if you leave out the Leipzig-Nürnberg line by purpose. However, it is under construction and is proposed to be open by 2015/2017.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #318
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Thank you for this!!! You may be able to tell but Germany is broadly based on the ICE network map from wikipedia. I take it on your edit of the map above you have conformed to the colour key? More 300+km/h lines great. I need to verify of course, if you have any links that will be helpful but I'm sure I can find some evidence if as you say it's u/c. When did construction start?
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #319
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

elfabyanos
Once again thank you, Elfabyanos, for your patient efforts to create a Euro HSL map. While I have a few concerns about the categories which you have chosen to use those are not important now. I have been combing through your maps for some time and I would like to offer the following comments (sorted by country):

Portugal: I agree with your last posted map version#15 (#262)
I am vehemently opposed to “sotavento’s” map of Portugal.
~ Maybe it will happen, but the most likely next event will be another re-plan and new priorities.

Spain: I applaud your attempts to sort out the rapidly moving developments in Spain and I will comment later

France: references:
http://www.rff.fr/biblio_pdf/fr_docref_anx_6_4.pdf

http://www.rff.fr/pages/projets/proj...g=en&fromprj=1

http://lgv2030.free.fr/accueil.htm(a little out of date)
I would recommend the following additions:
~ for about 80 to 100 km north of Macon the LGV-se is limited to 270 km/h during the crossing of the "Morvan"
http://lgv2030.free.fr/ligne1.htm#SudEst
Quote:
Par la suite, avec la rénovation des rames de première génération et l'arrivée des Duplex, la vitesse fut porté à 300 km/h à l'exception de la traversée du Morvan.
~ quite a lot of of the LGV-se from Satolas to Valence is limited to 270 km/h. I wish I had better references but RFF does not differeniate 270/300km/h
~ I believe that the existing Poitiers to Niort line has been upgraded to 220+ km/h but I can't find a reference
~ the existing Etampes – Orleans – Vierzon main line is rated 220 km/h and will host TGV’s some time in 2008
~ show the line Vierzon – Limoge – Montauban as grey for connectivity
~ the existing Orleans – Tours main line is rated 220 km/h and should be blue
~ much of the existing Orange - Avignon - Arles main line is rated 220 km/h and should be blue
~ the reinstated Bourge-en-Bresse to Bellegarde line will only be rated 120-160 km/h but it is a critical connector for the Geneva TGV services so make this section dashed grey
~ the existing Melun to Clermont Ferrand main line is rated 160 km/h but it is more important to the French network than many of the lines shown in the UK. I would add this in a grey route for connectivity

Italy: I agree with your map with one minor nit:-
~ I would classify Bologna to Verona as the upgrade of an existing line (blue)
Also note:
~ Padua to Venice has been upgraded to 220 km/h (blue)
~ Milan to Brescia has been quadrupled but no speed increase is documented and I can find any proposal for it to become 300 km/h

Switzerland: I agree with your map

Austria: I agree with your map with one minor nit:-
~ the junction at Wels is to far east.
~ the “Koralbahn” between Graz and Klagenfurt may soon deserve inclusion. In anticipation, I would suggest adding the routes to Italy and Slovenia in grey.

Germany: I will comment later

Belgium: I agree with your map with one minor nit:-
~ the dash line in red should supersede the grey line all the way into Antwerpen.
http://www.b-rail.be/corp/E/projects...orth/index.php

Netherlands: The HSL-zuid is not routed through Den Hague
http://www.railcargo.nl/documenten/posterrailcargo.pdf
~ Actually the line is two parts: Antewerpen to Rotterdam and Rotterdam to Schipol with a grey connector through Rotterdam

United Kingdom:
According to Network Rail’s 2007 business plan (I use the data in the "route segment" appendix for each route becuase the speed maps have proved to be unreliable): http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3085.aspx The line speed on the following sections is:
~ the ECML north of Newcastle is defined as 177 km/h
~ Doncaster to Leeds is 177 km/h
~ Coventry to Birmingham New Street is 177 km/h
~ Wotton Basset to Bath is 160 km/h
~ Bristol to Cogload Junction is 160 km/h
~ New Street to WCML is 145 km/h
~ Piling at the Severn tunnel to Cardiff & Swansea is 145 km/h
~ Didcott to Oxford is 145 km/h
I suggest you change all the above to grey

Denmark: the maximum speed is 180 km/h
~ this speed applies only to the Kobenhavn – Odense – Arhus line
~ I would suggest adding the lines to Rodby and Padborg for connectivity

Sweden: to be added

Last edited by Trainman Dave; March 14th, 2008 at 03:09 AM.
Trainman Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #320
mozatellac

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
[B]
~ quite a lot of of the LGV-se from Satolas to Valence is limited to 270 km/h. I wish I had better references but RFF does not differeniate 270/300km/h
Actually, the LGV SE from Saint-Exupery (new name for Satolas) to Valence is limited to 300km/h according to Florent Brisou.

For the other lines, not sure that Orleans-Tours and Orleans-Limoges are 220km/h... isn't it only 200km/h ?
mozatellac no está en línea   Reply With Quote