daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:05 PM   #381
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

It seems you have to downgrade tracks in Austria. Just a few weeks ago, Austrian newspapers reported that the ÖBB aims to construct only for 200 kmph rather than for 250 kmph on the Westbahn. What a shame.

I have however problems to locate the adressed parts of the Westbahn, its about parts yet to be constructed...

http://***************/?url=/?id=3241613

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM   #382
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
Spain - Detail on the routes running over classic lines that have part of their journey on an HSL and at least 200km/h. There as as yet very few grey lines on the map for Spain.
Here you have a really good detailed map of the Spanish railway network at 21th Feb made by zoltan and Pacodiazpardo. Just download the larger version to see it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
As you can't speak Spanish I translate:
Solid black line: Tramo AV en servicio --> HSL on service
Dotted black line: electrificación, seńalización, via--> construction works related with signaling, electrification, railway track...
Dotted grey line: tramo con plataforma en obra --> construction works related with the ground where the track will be located.

Hope it helps you to make some small corrections on your map.

About grey lines, I guess it's ok. There are only a small amount of trains able to operate both in UIC and iberian gauge (a lot more to come) and many old lines lack the electrification needed so it's not possible to cover the whole country with those services.

Again, thank you so much for your stunning job.
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #383
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Here is update 16.

Changes include:

France - adding in of a few classic line blue and grey. Trainman Dave - before I put on many of the other grey lines as you've suggested can you show that trains that run on a coloured line on the map at the speed allowed by those coloured lines, also travels on the grey lines you wish added as part of the same journey? This is my distinction between a map showing high speed rail and just a general map showing trunk lines.

Germany - whole new HSL u/c added yay!!!

Italy - Some status changes. The Lochberg base tunnel is already listed for 250km/h! But Brenner Base tunnel added (I had no idea!! - for those interested I googled and found these brief pdfs with a few nuggets of info http://ec.europa.eu/ten/transport/pr...ite/PP01EN.pdf and http://www.fig.net/pub/fig_2002/Ts6-..._schennach.pdf )
I have reinstated Bologna - Verona as a new build it is totally beside the old trackbed. This is the same issue as sevilla - antequera. It's on the cusp of the definition but I wouldn't expect the line to have as many performance constraints as a line rebuilt entirely on the old track bed. I expect perfect foundations, decent gauge restrictions, slightly less harsh curves, at least uniform for the intended linespeed without occasional restrictions you get on classic lines etc etc. Padua-Venezia I don't know, couldn't see any evidence of new trackbed on google maps.

Portugal - I have made it more geographical but removed all sign of the upgrades until I know for sure what is going on. I have included below an excerpt from the excellent maps from the excellent website http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php. Sotavento, if you would be so kind would you be able to use this map and draw on it the sections which have been upgraded, or are presently being upgraded.

Anyway, here's the update. Thank you to everyone who has been helping, it's all rather a lot and apologies if I've missed stuff - please just keep reminding me.

Don't forget Moscow–St. Petersburg (upgraded classic line – 200 km/h)!
In future it will be 250 km/h when the Velaro RUS will be in service.
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #384
Kantabro_83
HSR fan

Likes (Received): 0

There is a mistake in the spanish map. The line between Valladolid and Asturias should be red dotted as it is a new line under construction whereas the line between Valladolid and Santander should be drawn in grey and slightly to the east as it is a classic line with HS services.
Congratulations for this excellent work!!!

Last edited by Kantabro_83; March 25th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
Kantabro_83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #385
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

The new Pajares base line (50 km, including the main tunnel of 25 km) is under construction. But I didn't know that the rest of the line between Valladolid, León and the tunnel was under construction. But Spain is building new lines really rapidly...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #386
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The new Pajares base line (50 km, including the main tunnel of 25 km) is under construction. But I didn't know that the rest of the line between Valladolid, León and the tunnel was under construction.
Only a few kilometers between Leon and Valladolid are under construction now.

The rest should start soon, because 2010 is the official date for the line to Leon to be finished (it was already delayed, because it was 2008 a year ago).

The construction pace in Pajares is pretty good though.
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #387
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
France - adding in of a few classic line blue and grey. Trainman Dave - before I put on many of the other grey lines as you've suggested can you show that trains that run on a coloured line on the map at the speed allowed by those coloured lines, also travels on the grey lines you wish added as part of the same journey? This is my distinction between a map showing high speed rail and just a general map showing trunk lines.
I have a suggestion about the grey lines in Switzerland. On your map the grey line from the Gothard Is taking a very strange route on the north side around Zürich to Basel. Why not just connect it to Zürich as this is the line that the passenger trains (Cisalpino) are using.
Also trains that are using the Lötschberg (or Loetschberg but NOT Lochberg) tunnel and the Bern Rothrist Line usually go to St.Margrethen.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #388
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

By just checking Google Earth I think the line Tarragona-Valencia should be changed to upgraded line south of Vandellós nuclear powerplant, the only visible new streches of line that I could spot south of there was the Tortosa bypass and some tunnels north of Castellón.

The rest seem to be an upgrade of the old alignment, new curves and double track (old line was single track I believe). There are still some obvious bottlenecks, a very curvy stretch between Ulldecona and Torreblanca where trains probably have to slow down several times due to sharp curves even though they are already realigned.

They should really get rid of the s shaped stretch south of Alcalá the Xivert, that should be a real bottleneck as trains slow down to pass through the sharp curves.

Last edited by gincan; March 26th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #389
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Here's the latest one, marking the return of Scandinavia. I did this about a week ago but haven't had the chance to upload it.

elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #390
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Managed to quickly fix Gothard-Zurich though.
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #391
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Cool Zürich now looks on the map like the junction that it is.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #392
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
In Austria Unterinntaltrasse (posted the links to the maps before) is still missing, while you added Brenner-Basis-Tunnel. If you have problem locating it. It continues from the brenner basistunnel (which is at the Austrian-Italian border) about 45 km to the east.
Sorry I missed that. I've looked at this http://www.beg.co.at/footer/datenschutzerklaerung/
site and I can't find a map so I don't know where to put it. Where does it go from specifically, as in the nearest villages, so that I can find it on google maps?

Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #393
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Version 18:

Corrections mainly.

Norway - change of status to new build, plus addition of new sections on Drammen line.

Spain - Correction of where the HSL is actually going, and correction of the classic lines. I'm iffy on the Valladolid - Asturias line as some of it isn't u/c, but knowing Spain at the moment by the time we work out what they are constructing the whole line will have been completed!!!

Switzerland - extension of grey line to Austrian border.

Portugal - Re-addition of of upgrade details as per Sotavento's map.

Still so much to do, so little time. BTW, does anyone know how things went at the UIC Highspeed 2008 convention?

Old March 30th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #394
Mattboy
Membre illenc

Likes (Received): 7

^ I think that classic line south of Madrid starts actually in Madrid, not from the Madrid-Sevilla line. You can check it at bueker.net: http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...-peninsula.gif
Mattboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #395
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Yeah, you're right. Ironically I used those maps to do mine!!! That's the second utter mistake for spain
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #396
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

I think besides Russia there are also high speed lines in Finnland.
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #397
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

The Galician branch is under construction up to Zamora (trackbed), the initial section to Medina del Campo (the one you have drawn) is to commence commercial operation from april 10th 2008.

http://www.europapress.es/noticia.as...90049&ch=00136
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #398
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Are you sure about the 250 km/h stretches in Sweden? We have no trains going that fast, and iirc the lines are only prepared for 250km/h upgrades (electrics and signaling can't handle it now).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ţróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #399
Euklidisk

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Are you sure about the 250 km/h stretches in Sweden? We have no trains going that fast, and iirc the lines are only prepared for 250km/h upgrades (electrics and signaling can't handle it now).
It's correct that no Swedish trains go faster than 200 km/h, but there is actually 250 km/h on these short stretches, not only prepared. It's the Grödingebanan Flemingsberg-Järna and a new part on the Västkustbanan south of Halmstad to Bĺstad.

This is the Stockholm-Halsberg table. Red for tilting trains.

image hosted on flickr

This is the new part on the Västkustbanan. Red for tilting trains.

image hosted on flickr
Euklidisk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:21 AM   #400
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

If no trains actually use these tracks at the potential speed I'll have to downgrade them, leaving them maybe dashed between the two speeds, to show that that capability is u/c in terms of the trains to provide it.

JoKo65 - I haven't got Finland yet!!! I've got quite a lot of info already, if you have any more I'll most grateful!!!