daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #521
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Again ... it's been discussed already ... 100% new route buid on the same "general" alignement of the old route = it's considered "upgraded" track ... the extreme case of upgraded track but nonetheless upgraded track.

by the way ... this is another point worth mentioning ... some of the 300/350 km/h routes in spain were built over the old abandoned routes (like Segovia-Olmedo) ...
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #522
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Again ... it's been discussed already ... 100% new route buid on the same "general" alignement of the old route = it's considered "upgraded" track ... the extreme case of upgraded track but nonetheless upgraded track.
Upgraded=Old line adapted to higher speeds, this applies to for example Seville-Cadiz or Lisbon-Porto. But in the case of Vigo-La Coruña the old line is so curvy it is impossible to adapt it for higher speeds so they have to build an entirely new railway line, wich they are doing right now. You can't upgrade something you're building from scratch.

And the new alignment is totaly diffrent from the old line, if they had chosen to build to the "general" alignment as you describe it, traveltime between the two cities would be 2 hours instead of under one when the line is finished.

Last edited by gincan; July 18th, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM   #523
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

A little update. Anybody got any news?
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM   #524
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I guess the grey line between Malmö and - at least Örestad st. in Copenhagen should be marked as "newly built lines 200km/h+", right? A tiny stretch, but nonetheless.
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #525
Yappofloyd

Likes (Received): 49

elfabyanos, you have done an absolutely, fantastic job in progressing this map and whilst being receptive to all of the various contributions, debates and disagreements. I am sure that it has taken you many more hours than you anticipated.

I really apreciate it as I have been looking for a consolidated HSR map for a while and this serves that purpose.

So a huge thanks.

Last edited by Yappofloyd; August 24th, 2008 at 11:45 AM.
Yappofloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #526
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
I guess the grey line between Malmö and - at least Örestad st. in Copenhagen should be marked as "newly built lines 200km/h+", right? A tiny stretch, but nonetheless.
Of course. I have to be a pain and ask for a link in case I can't find one myself. Also, are trains actually going at this speed yet or is this another one for the long list of 'to be added'?
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #527
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd View Post
elfabyanos, you have done an absolutely, fantastic job in progressing this map and receptive to all of the various contributions, debates and disagreements. I am sure that it has taken you many more hours than you anticipated.

I really apreciate it as I have been looking for a consolidated HSR map for a while and this serves that purpose.

So a huge thanks.
Thanks, it has been complex. I believe we have a map we can trust quite well, as well as a whole thread of supporting links which at some point I would like to document separately. I'm glad it is of benefit to you, and I hope we can keep it going.
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #528
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
A little update. Anybody got any news?
Why is the proposed line Stuttgart-Ulm missing?

The refering page of DB says it will be designed for 250km/h:
http://www.stuttgart21.de/site/stutt...gart__ulm.html
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #529
staff
囧!

Quote:
Of course. I have to be a pain and ask for a link in case I can't find one myself. Also, are trains actually going at this speed yet or is this another one for the long list of 'to be added'?
I have no idea where to find such a document (I searched on the Öresund Bridge's website-- www.oeresundsbron.se), but the whole stretch I am referring to was finished in the year 2000. Basically it's the bridge itself and the connecting railways on either side of the bridge (you have included those on the Swedish side but not on the Danish side in your current map btw). The commuter trains have a maximum speed of 180km/h, but the Swedish X2000 trains reach 200km/h while on the bridge and in the tunnel section. However, the distance between the stations on the Danish side is very small (CPH Airport -> Tårnby -> Örestad) that no train could reach any high speeds. Although the tracks should be fitted to allow for speeds over 200km/h.
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #530
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Cool thanks.
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #531
staff
囧!

Swede might be of help in this instance - he should be the most well informed Swedish forumer regarding the railway situation in the country.
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #532
Hubert Pollak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
Why is the proposed line Stuttgart-Ulm missing?

The refering page of DB says it will be designed for 250km/h:
http://www.stuttgart21.de/site/stutt...gart__ulm.html
I think It is still in planning phase not under construction.
Anyway I hope thath a lot of construcions in Germany will start soon (Stuttgart - Ulm, Manheim - Frankfurt, new lines around Fulda).
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #533
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Map on wiki:

Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_Europe
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #534
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

from antwerp to amsterdam it would take still quite a while before they will join the 300 kilometer club, (if this will ever happen), i think it will stay 250, but even that isnt running yet..
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #535
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

I think some of that Wikipedia map is copied from mine and its only appeared since we started this thread, and I've since corrected some bits that are on it
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #536
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Does that map sound familiar ???
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #537
jkjkjk

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I think some of that Wikipedia map is copied from mine and its only appeared since we started this thread, and I've since corrected some bits that are on it
See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Us...:Bernese_media. Created independently, but fixed using your map. Also http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskuss...Europa_-_Karte is long discussion about in (in German).
jkjkjk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #538
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

What are plans for HSR in Czech Republic and other central European countries?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #539
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjkjk View Post
See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Us...:Bernese_media. Created independently, but fixed using your map. Also http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskuss...Europa_-_Karte is long discussion about in (in German).
Well I'm glad. It's shows that we've done something useful here!!!
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #540
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
What are plans for HSR in Czech Republic and other central European countries?
Here:

Green are the most important corridors now,red are the planned HSRs.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote