daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #601
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
Or maybe the ICE3 can come to London...
The ICE3 is from 1999 ... we are in 2009 ... better technology has apeared in recent years.

And by the way ... considering that there are today TGV trainsets reaching as far as Koln(Thalys) and Munchen (Paris-Munique) ... who knows how things will evolve when both SNCF and DB decide to "evolve" to a next level.

We can even expect a ICE4 to be some kind AGV stilled train.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #602
ghost101

Likes (Received): 0

Whats the point of having DB operating direct services anyway? Why can't people just change at Paris or Brussels?

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

DB were offering tickets from London to Frankfurt and other locations for 99 EUR for a return ticket a few weeks ago. They've now all sold out though. 6 hours from London to Frankfurt using only Eurostar and ICE with 1 interchange, bargain price.

Last edited by ghost101; July 19th, 2009 at 06:26 AM.
ghost101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #603
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost101 View Post
Whats the point of having DB operating direct services anyway? Why can't people just change at Paris or Brussels?

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

DB were offering tickets from London to Frankfurt and other locations for 99 EUR for a return ticket a few weeks ago. They've now all sold out though. 6 hours from London to Frankfurt using only Eurostar and ICE with 1 interchange, bargain price.

Its a matter of speed, comfort and reliability. (you can miss connnections which can cause substantial waiting times, and missing it does not even have to be your own fault). But 6 hours is too long for being a competitive offer anyway. I don't know why it takes so long. Obviously its not upgraded to such an extend LGVs like then one to Marseilles or Strasbourg.

In this specific case you could be nearly 1 hour faster with a direct connection than with the one you showed and the one you showed is already a very good connection of those offered nowadays. That would cut the time to about 5 and a half hours.

What is a real pitty that London-Köln is also with at least one change and also there it would cut at least 45 min travel time just be offering an all through train connection. This would cut down the time to less than 4 and a half hour, bringing it into an area where it would start to be competitive with flight. (If they could manage to cut another 15-30 min, this would be the case beyond any doubt)

PS:
Having that said, I would also take the train with todays offers, but I may not be representative.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; July 19th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #604
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
But 6 hours is too long for being a competitive offer anyway. I don't know why it takes so long. Obviously its not upgraded to such an extend LGVs like then one to Marseilles or Strasbourg.
Actually, that quoted 6 h 06 m connection goes via Bruxelles-Midi.

EST 9120 : London-St.Pancras - Bruxelles-Midi Eurostar (1 h 55 m)
checkout/switchover Bruxelles-Midi Eurostar - Bruxelles-Midi (49 m)
ICE 15 : Bruxelles-Midi - Frankfurt HBf (3 h 22 m)

The fastest connection London - Frankfurt is 5 h 56 m with a 45 minute layover in Brussels (but 4 minutes more for the EST leg), and the ICE (17) leg taking 10 minutes less by bypassing the Siegburg/Bonn and Limburg-Süd stops on the exact same route.

The connection via Paris takes 6 h 57 m.

EST 9012 : London-St.Pancras - Paris Nord Eurostar (2 h 22 m)
checkout/switchover Paris Nord Eurostar - Paris Est (38 m)*
ICE 9555 : Paris Est - Frankfurt HBf (3 h 57 m)

*- Optimum connection. There are other connections with far worse switchovers.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #605
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Two great connections would be a "direct" Manchester/Birmingham-Chunnel-Frankfurt-Munich-Vienna and similar Manchester/Birmingham-Berlin-Warsaw.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #606
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

I wonder if either of the two great barriers to those services will ever be removed?

Our decision not to sign up fully to Schengen.

and the strict safety standards on the channel tunnel
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #607
cdavies2000

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
and the strict safety standards on the channel tunnel
I think they are already reviewing the safety standards and requirement for trains to split in two following last year's fire

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/315b64dc-c...nclick_check=1
cdavies2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #608
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Two great connections would be a "direct" Manchester/Birmingham-Chunnel-Frankfurt-Munich-Vienna and similar Manchester/Birmingham-Berlin-Warsaw.
I think Paris–Brussels–Cologne–Ruhr area–Hanover–Berlin is realistic.
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM   #609
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
I think Paris–Brussels–Cologne–Ruhr area–Hanover–Berlin is realistic.
And Paris-Strasbourg-Stuttgart-Munich.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM   #610
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavies2000 View Post
I think they are already reviewing the safety standards and requirement for trains to split in two following last year's fire

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/315b64dc-c...nclick_check=1
Interesting. I wonder how it made the fire worse. I cant read the rest of the article.

I'll never know why they cant simply do a sweep of the train for passports while doing ticket checks, and create a small room at one end of the train to hold those without passports.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM   #611
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

I would like to have a HSR-link Paris-Brussels-Rotterdam-Utrecht-Groningen-Bremen-Hamburg-Copenhagen-Stockholm.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM   #612
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

These are the routes I would like to see from London. Some of them would obviously be overnight trains, others are in the 4-6 hour range which is quite achievable during the day.

London-Paris-Lyon-Barcelona-Madrid
London-Paris-Turin-Milan-Rome
London-Paris-Geneva
London-Paris-Bordeaux-Biarritz(-Bilbao-Madrid?)
London-Brussels-Amsterdam
London-Brussels-Hannover-Berlin
London-Brussels-Frankfurt
London-Brussels-Cologne
London-Paris/Brussels-Stuttgart-Munich-Vienna
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM   #613
sergiogiorgini

Likes (Received): 903

London-Brussels-Amsterdam will be very realistic once the new high-speed line opens in a couple of months. I see no reason why Eurostar itself wouldn't take that route.
sergiogiorgini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM   #614
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

I don't think it will take that much time till the ICE is allowed to go through the Chunnel. Maybe 2 or 3 years and we can expect some daily ICEs on the London - Brussels - Köln - Frankfurt route.
Also, with completion of LGV Rhin-Rhone DB wants to start ICEs from Frankfurt to Marseille, and upon completion of the Gotthard tunnel, we might also see ICEs between Frankfurt and Milan (currently only night trains operating between both cities).
I personally would also like to see ICEs from Frankfurt to Prague, but this would require a completely new HSL east of Nürnberg.

Last edited by Rohne; July 22nd, 2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: of course not Brenner but Gotthard ;)
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM   #615
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

U mean Brenner? Or maybe San Gottardo - since this would be shorter way for FR-Milano?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM   #616
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

With the today's check in procedures will be no additional connections to London possible. And I don't see any chance that they will be changed in times of international terrorism.

Last edited by JoKo65; July 21st, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
JoKo65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:40 PM   #617
sergiogiorgini

Likes (Received): 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
I don't think it will take that much time till the ICE is allowed to go through the Chunnel. Maybe 2 or 3 years and we can expect some daily ICEs on the London - Brussels - Köln - Frankfurt route.
Also, with completion of LGV Rhin-Rhone DB wants to start ICEs from Frankfurt to Marseille, and upon completion of the Brenner tunnel, we might also see ICEs between Frankfurt and Milan (currently only night trains operating between both cities).
I personally would also like to see ICEs from Frankfurt to Prague, but this would require a completely new HSL east of Nürnberg.
Again, do realize that those lovely ICEs would need to get their noses painted yellow... I know it's a small detail, but somehow I don't think DB will be happy about that one.
sergiogiorgini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM   #618
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiogiorgini View Post
Again, do realize that those lovely ICEs would need to get their noses painted yellow... I know it's a small detail, but somehow I don't think DB will be happy about that one.
It won't be just its nose. I expect the whole front to be yellow. But this doesn't have to mean that the trains appearance wouldn't be lovely anymore.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM   #619
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Is the UK requirement of yellow noses in line with EU regulations? It really frustrates interopability within the EU if every country has it's own requirements for the way the front of each train should look like. Especially if countries have contradicting requirements, for example if the noses have to be white in some other country.

Furthermore, there are (almost?) no level crossings on such dedicated high speed lines as the High Speed 1. There might be less need for yellow fronts, which might make the UK requirement unreasonable for foreign rail carriers who want to enter the cross-border market to London.

Here in Holland, yellow OR white fronts are required. But still, the Thalys high speed trains can come and go while they have red noses. This might be because the requirement became effective after the Thalys was put into service, but I wonder what would happen if Thalys ordered new trains with red fronts.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #620
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

A little over ten years ago, passengers were not allowed in the front car of a train going at more than 100mph. Then the Pendolinos came along and that was revoked, but you still see almost half their front car used for other things.

Now we have people in the front of the 140mph Javelins on HS1, so perhaps the rules for that line have changed and the yellow panel will no longer be needed.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote