daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #661
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Has anyone got a German map? There is quite a decent map in all German IC-trains, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #662
FML

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
let's at least see if we can get one from every country with railroads and the more historic old ones the better !
The thread should be titled "Old rail maps", then.

Japanese railway map, 1890. Dashed lines were under construction.

My favorite map, from 1988. Click for gigantic images.

FML no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #663
Unsing

Likes (Received): 10

Japanese maps from other eras. Click to enlarge.

Truly oldest rail map of Japan
planning map of the Tokyo-Yokohama line, which opened in 1872 as the nation's first rail service.

1932 the Empire of Japan

Set of 1964 JNR maps
Unsing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #664
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsing View Post
Japanese maps from other eras.
Absolutely beautiful Unsing. Bravo for posting those. It's so refreshing for us westerners to see just how different and beautifully made rail maps can be from other parts of the world. Thanks so much for posting those.

And FML too, another very striking example Well happy to change the title if you like but current maps welcome too!

Turning into a very pretty thread so thanks to all and keep them rolling in!

Yep, seen very little from Germany. This is the most recent thing I could find and I don't think its an official map - can anyone help find better - ancient or modern???

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by MarkO; January 15th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #665
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
(post #3 )

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #666
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

Here you can find as many maps as you like from Germany 1944, site also includes the whole timetable of Deutsche Reichsbahn 1944. Keep in mind that this timetable was the last official before the end of WW2.

http://www.pkjs.de/bahn/Kursbuch1944/Kursbuchtitel.html

For the maps scroll down to: "Alle Karten im Überblick"

Fernverkehr Inland = long distance services in Germany
Fernverkehr Ausland = long distance services to foreign countries

The rest are regional maps including also all occupied territories at that time.

Enjoy!
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #667
MarkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophorus View Post
Here you can find as many maps as you like from Germany 1944, site also includes the whole timetable of Deutsche Reichsbahn 1944. Keep in mind that this timetable was the last official before the end of WW2.

http://www.pkjs.de/bahn/Kursbuch1944/Kursbuchtitel.html

For the maps scroll down to: "Alle Karten im Überblick"

Fernverkehr Inland = long distance services in Germany
Fernverkehr Ausland = long distance services to foreign countries

The rest are regional maps including also all occupied territories at that time.

Enjoy!
Fascinating stuff Christophorus
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #668
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Here you can download the current network map of The Netherlands (PDF).

Here is the full map zoomed out:
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #669
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Heres a rather large of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail network , future network, PATH Network, Air Train line at EWR and NY waterway as well as NJT lines.

image hosted on flickr

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #670
MarkO

Nice one Corey - the Light rail system there is excellent - I was very impressed by how they converted the old Newark City Subway stations and kept a lot of the beautiful original features like the ceramic signs.

And isn't there a much needed new tunnel being built under the Hudson? What's gonna use that? AMTRAK?? Was staying with friends near Journal Square last year and the poor old PATH system struggles to cope with the load sometimes! (Also weekend and late night arrangements when it goes to Hoboken is just mad!).

And Woutero - bless you for finding that - had been looking for it just yesterday but speaking no Dutch kept finding the wrong thing! However I do LOVE this map which of course was the earlier version of what you've kindly posted here with the classic yellowy background - do you happen to know if there is a better, higher resolution version of that which can be downloaded anywhere??
image hosted on flickr
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #671
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by takini View Post
Here's the map of former Yugoslavia

[IMG]http://i45.************/anxxyd.jpg[/IMG]
That's a very nice map, but a bit outdated. The "Bosnian narrow gauge" lines are still there. The new lines to Ploce and Bar have not yet been built. What year was this from?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #672
K_

Likes (Received): 243

The Zürich Suburban Network:

A bigger version can be downloaded here.

Every colored line on the map represents an S-Bahn service, usually running every half hour. (There few exceptions). In the big PDF version the thin blue lines are bus services feeding the trains.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #673
marobara

Likes (Received): 21

Two Polish maps:

From 1931:
http://www.mapywig.org/m/General_and...j_Polskiej.jpg
and current:
http://www.kolej.one.pl/mapy/1/1088025256.png
note how density of the network reflects the XIX century German - Russian border:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Du..._1809-1815.PNG The pale colour region in the middle is Duchy Of Warsaw - which was dependant to Russia at that time and remained so until 1914.

errr.. how do you resize images?

Last edited by marobara; January 20th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
marobara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #674
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

That comparison of German and Polish rail networks is fantastic, and shows just how the development of the European railway system depended so much on the political geography of the Continent.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #675
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by marobara View Post
The file will not open for me is there probably an alternative link? The map would be of very great interest
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #676
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

MISC | Railway Maps

Your countries heavy rail maps...

This is for the UK

Here is a map for the Northern Rail network where I live. This just shows the local commuter lines as Northern Rail doesn't run any intercity services...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #677
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

@ MarkO:

The map I posted is actually not the official NS map. It is produced by the people of www.treinreiziger.nl, a Dutch train blog.

The map you posted is the official map of about 10 years ago. There is a slightly larger version here: http://railweb.techsite.cz/mapy/mnls.jpg

The current NS network map that is available at stations is no longer yellow. The 2010 map is not yet available on the NS site. On the NS site it is still the 2009 version, which you can download here.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM   #678
MarkO

CUTS TO RAILWAY SERVICES

Quote:
Originally Posted by woutero View Post
@ MarkO:

The map I posted is actually not the official NS map. It is produced by the people of www.treinreiziger.nl, a Dutch train blog.
Thanks Woutero, that's cleared up now! (Just between you and me I really like the official diagram with the yellowy background form the 1990's early Noughties but I'm old-fashioned, I know!).

OK here's some that have been PM'ed to me. They show the UK network before and after the Beeching Cuts of the late 1960's.

Despite the fact that quite a few lines had already closed by the time th first map was done (1961-ish) there's still a pretty deep penetration into the rural areas. Compare that to what was left after Beeching's axe swung by the end of that decade!

Obviously it wasn't all sustainable - especially with all the person-power needed to fire-up and run labour-intensive steam engines - but it's a shame more of the infrastructure wasn't preserved for the future because now scores of communities are lamenting their branch closures and wishing the tracks had not been torn up and out of town shopping centers built all over the old rail routes!

What's fascinating (if a tad sad) to see here is that in the UK at least, a vast system was drastically cut back in as little a decade - well less really, it was very very swift when it happened.

So check this out. British rail UK system map from circa 1961:
image hosted on flickr

Here from 1969:
image hosted on flickr

And here 1987:
image hosted on flickr

The good news is that in the last decade or so some of the closed lines have re-opened:
image hosted on flickr

In case that's not clear enough, take a gander at this very well drawn comparison from www.bilderberg.org and another great site here showing the Beeching report itself: http://www.joyce.whitchurch.btinternet.co.uk/maps.htm (Both highly informative sites on the Beeching closures).

Here's the comparison map:

So what of your country? Is there a 'before and after' map to compare how your railways suffered in the last half of the 20th Century??
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:20 PM   #679
takini

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
That's a very nice map, but a bit outdated. The "Bosnian narrow gauge" lines are still there. The new lines to Ploce and Bar have not yet been built. What year was this from?
MarkO asked for a nicely desined maps so I posted that one. The new maps just look plain and uninteresting. The map says FNR Yugoslavia which is the name used until 1963.
takini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:24 PM   #680
MarkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by takini View Post
MarkO asked for a nicely desined maps so I posted that one. The new maps just look plain and uninteresting. The map says FNR Yugoslavia which is the name used until 1963.
Yep U R right Takini, I was interested in seeing some well designed maps for sure, but I'm really happy to see any rail maps so do feel free to post ones that are not so well designed or aesthetically pleasing!

:-)