daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #81
greatmoseley!

Likes (Received): 0

I know that Brown's Brasserie's are looking for a city Centre location in Birmingham and they often occupy building's with distinct character..... Just check out their website, it would work perfectly there! Right area with the right cliental.

www.browns-restaurants.co.uk/
greatmoseley! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #82
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 84

IIRC Baskerville House was Grade II and the Council House is. It might be that they get Grade II rather than I so that modifications can be made.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM   #83
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 143

would be great if we saw the kind of investment they have put into st pancras here

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #84
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Aye, but this is bigger and much different. In those cases you've just posted, they were converted from offices into... offices. The Grand Hotel is a massive hotel building composed of elements built in different eras to different requirements to suit an entirely different customer. In a way, it's a shame the listed status is so strict as it could allow some freedom over a more advantageous solution for the building, especially in times like this.
It's in times like these that it is essential that buildings like this are listed, else we'd end up with a half cocked, cheap and nasty redevelopment.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM   #85
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 331

Hortons say that progress is "ongoing". I suggested to Hortons that maybe a facade preservation with strengthening to deal with the "inferior stone quality" but demolition of the interior was the only way forward. I sent Hortons the details on Leeds' "The Light" which would work well at the Grand but as the total plot comprises of 5 buildings it could be complicated. Another idea I had on the facade subject was to do a "Fort Dunlop" and completely set back a wall of glass behind the arched apertures.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM   #86
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
IIRC Baskerville House was Grade II and the Council House is. It might be that they get Grade II rather than I so that modifications can be made.
This one got Grade II* listed. Which is more important than II, but less important than I.
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #87
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 331

My contact at Hortons reassures me that progress is ongoing:

"As you know we are far from inactive and continue to spend considerable amounts of time and money dealing with the challenges that finding a solution bring. Slowly but surely progress is being made!
My offer to meet contributors, show them the building and explain the challenges and what we are doing to try to overcome them, has not been taken up and there was no mention of it in the recent thread.
I can only repeat that we would welcome such a meeting and are incredibly frustrated that people continue to criticise us without being in possession of the facts."

So, if anyone wants to start the ball rolling on dates etc and numbers, I'm all ears.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #88
djay
Chartered Town Planner

i'll do it, about to graduate as a planner next week so it would be interesting for me

Two Weeks Notice
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #89
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Hortons say that progress is "ongoing". I suggested to Hortons that maybe a facade preservation with strengthening to deal with the "inferior stone quality" but demolition of the interior was the only way forward. I sent Hortons the details on Leeds' "The Light" which would work well at the Grand but as the total plot comprises of 5 buildings it could be complicated. Another idea I had on the facade subject was to do a "Fort Dunlop" and completely set back a wall of glass behind the arched apertures.
Would this be the same inferior stone quality that has been deliberately neglected. It is not beyond preservation I am sure. Council need to get in on this and start knocking on doors regards a CPO if no positive movement is taking place, it's one of teh city's treasures, and having been inside years ago it is a stunning old place.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #90
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

It's great that Hortons are attempting to explain the situation with The Grand. Things aren't always as straight forward as they seem, but when everyone can see a beautiful building starting to rot, and the only render available was of a soul-less glass box then they must understand how some have put two and two together and got 7.735!

I'd love to go, but I fear that commitments up until Xmas & into the New Year will make it difficult.

Edited to add....

W.T.F.???!!! ---> http://www.cafepress.co.uk/evolveshop/6178091

Last edited by blahblah; December 8th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
blahblah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #91
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53

that's my christmas shopping sorted

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/evolveshop.328023910
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #92
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1448

Do they do them with the Rotunda on the front?

Old December 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #93
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1448

Last edited by Bachy Soletanche; December 8th, 2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: double freekin' post
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #94
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

The Grand Hotel today

image hosted on flickr

Grand Hotel, Colmore Row by ell brown, on Flickr
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #95
SuttonBaggie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
This one got Grade II* listed. Which is more important than II, but less important than I.
The building was awarded English Heritage Grade II* listed status in 2004 to protect the facade, Louis XIV-style ballroom and staircase. The star rating mow means they have to return it back to its original state using the materials it was built with ie. bath stone. This would be very expensive and on a business level, non-viable. A brand new profitable office building would set Hortons back ú35 million. Renovation back to a loss making hotel, probably double that.

This building should have been listed grade II only so that the building was saved and renovated and also enabling the developer to convert it into a mixed use commercial development. This would have meant everyone was a winner.

The star rating has caused Horton and Birmingham City Council a problem because it was estimated to cost ú7 million just to repair the fašade with non-like for like material (ie. A low cost solution).

It is difficult to convert the building into a mixed use scheme because of restrictions the star rating brings. This is why it is standing empty.

http://www.birminghampost.net/news/w...name_page.html

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; December 18th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
SuttonBaggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #96
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Was watching Central Tonight and they showed the Grand Hotel getting restored.
Said it was last used as a hotel in 1935, then they left it to rot for 70 years. Think it may have a new owner.

edit:

It's the Midland Grand Hotel in London near St Pancras. Not our one on Colmore Row. It will be the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel. It was a hotel for Midlanders staying in London.

When I watched it, assumed they meant our Grand Hotel. My mistake. Just checked it again via itv.com/central-west

Last edited by ellbrown; May 5th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #97
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
Was watching Central Tonight and they showed the Grand Hotel getting restored.
Said it was last used as a hotel in 1935, then they left it to rot for 70 years. Think it may have a new owner.
recently getting restored? did they say the use? there has not been a planning app so im confused

Two Weeks Notice
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #98
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
recently getting restored? did they say the use? there has not been a planning app so im confused
Just editted my last post - watched it again - Midland Grand Hotel in London, not our one. Not sure why they mentioned that hotel on Central Tonight.
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #99
rafter1

Likes (Received): 6

New scaffolding going up around the Grand down to the ground, below the high level scaffolding, interesting.
rafter1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #100
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 648

They need to hurry and remove it, its a huge downfall on Colmore Row

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham, hotel