daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #101
Victorian

Likes (Received): 19

With an apparent shortage of hotel rooms in Birmingham, and with former office and other buildings in the city being renovated and converted into hotels, I cannot understand why the obvious solution for the vacant Grand Hotel isn't adopted --- namely restore it to its former grandeur as a high-end hotel. It was designed as such and has many of the amenities of a first-class hotel already in place. What is the problem? Can someone enlighten me?
Victorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #102
sefton66

Likes (Received): 539

money or lack of it
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #103
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

I'm tempted to take up Horton's offer of a visit and see what they want to say because they clearly have reasoning for why nothing has happened on site and are not having the opportunity to put it across in a sufficient way.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #104
Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
money or lack of it
Well, yes --- that's the obvious answer, but there seems to be speculative money around for other hotel developments, both new-builds and renovations or conversions. Is it Horton's that are in financial difficulties or are they holding on to an empty building in a prime location with other motives in mind?
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #105
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
They need to hurry and remove it, its a huge downfall on Colmore Row
Wash your mouth out Reiss. Restore it yes, remove it no! Have we not learnt any lessons from our predecessors in the '60's and '70's?
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #106
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit&nut View Post
Wash your mouth out Reiss. Restore it yes, remove it no! Have we not learnt any lessons from our predecessors in the '60's and '70's?
think he was talking about the scaffolding not the actually hotel

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #107
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 626

What Djay said lol

ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #108
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Oops! Sorry Reiss.
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #109
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

Hortons are working on it behind the scenes (and their main point of contact reads these posts!!) - problems involve the listing, the different blocks on the site that in time became extensions to the original building and the restoration / keep-up of the ballroom ceiling. The Light in Leeds was something that interested Hortons I believe.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #110
Seligman

Likes (Received): 0

It is well known that one of the major obstacles to bringing the Grand to life is the state of the Colmore Row facade. Many have suggested over the years that it is not capable of restoration but it is my understanding that Hortons have refused to accept this and have spent a considerable amount of time and money looking for a solution.

I believe that some progress has been made and that the new scaffolding in Church Street could relate to a trial area.

There has also been some activity on the Colmore Row facade with small areas being painted and now a larger area above Hey Pesto, could this be connected?

With regards to Victorian's concerns about Hortons finances - I do not believe that this is an issue. I am sure that if a financially viable solution to the building's problems could
be found they would have the money to deliver it.

Last edited by Seligman; June 29th, 2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Seligman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #111
Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seligman View Post
It is well known that one of the major obstacles to bringing the Grand to life is the state of the Colmore Row facade. Many have suggested over the years that it is not capable of restoration but it is my understanding that Hortons have refused to accept this and have spent a considerable amount of time and money looking for a solution.

I believe that some progress has been made and that the new scaffolding in Church Street could relate to a trial area.

There has also been some activity on the Colmore Row facade with small areas being painted and now a larger area above Hey Pesto, could this be connected?

With regards to Victorian's concerns about Hortons finances - I do not believe that this is an issue. I am sure that if a financially viable solution to the building's problems could
be found they would have the money to deliver it.
Thank you for the information. It's good to know that Hortons are doing their best to find a solution that will secure the future of the Grand Hotel. When one sees what can be done with renovations to the former Midland, Great Eastern and Great Western Hotels at St. Pancras, Liverpool Street and Paddington stations in London, and on a lesser scale to the former hostel for 'single working men' that is now the Paragon Hotel in Birmingham, it is not unreasonable to wonder why something similar could not be done to restore the Grand Hotel to its former glory. I do hope Hortons can find a way to overcome the problems with the deterioration of the stone work on the facade.
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #112
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
explain please

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #113
Seligman

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
explain please
When the building was listed (7+ years ago) there was talk of expert reports stating that some areas of the facade were beyond repair and that scaffolding was necessary to prevent danger to the public from bits falling off.

Since then Hortons have said publicly that they are trying to find a solution.
Seligman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #114
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
When the building was listed (7+ years ago) there was talk of expert reports stating that some areas of the facade were beyond repair and that scaffolding was necessary to prevent danger to the public from bits falling off.

Since then Hortons have said publicly that they are trying to find a solution.
I know it sounds daft but as a last resort could moulds be taken from existing features and re formed with a cheaper material such as concrete? Not perfect but at least the grandeur would be still felt.

The potential for this to become one of, if not THE most prestigious hotel in the Midlands must surely be grand itself with all the development going on in the city. Not to mention the kind of money that floats around in the pockets of workers in the Colmore Business district and JQ.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #115
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

It has the best setting by far overlooking St Philips square, I think teh decision to restore the railings a few years ago was a very wise one.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #116
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

I don't think moulds would even be necessary. A good enough documentation of certain features (drawings, photographing, surveying etc) should do the trick but it does cause the cost to skyrocket and whilst I'm sure the developer would be immensely keen to preserve these features as they are not just a cultural asset but an asset for promoting the building, the developer still needs to make sure its within the realms of financial feasibility.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #117
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

In the same way as they cut out and replaced stonework on the town hall, it could be done with the Grand.

It's just a case of fitting new mouldings.

But Erebus is right about cost, but as said it adds a huge value too.

The Grand could indeed be the best hotel in Birmingham. It just needs the will power to do it. There is a desire for the nostalgia of the old hotels (despite the recent vandalism of the Savoy) that I think could set the Grand a level above the competition.
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM   #118
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

Are Hortons aware of Steigenberger Hotels wanting to look at Brum for a location?

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM   #119
nigeman

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Are Hortons aware of Steigenberger Hotels wanting to look at Brum for a location?

I am sure they are, and I'm sure if they had the money to do it, it would be a jewel in their crown...someone must come in and save this great building.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #120
Victorian

Excellent news about the Grand Hotel on the 'Birmingham Hotels are BOOMING' thread which, if confirmed, signals a very happy outcome to the discussion above earlier in the year. Time to revive this thread? I hope so.

Tags
birmingham, hotel