daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #1
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 218

Milwaukee | Downtown, Metro Condo Boom

Milwaukee's downtown in the recent decade has been the spot of revival from plain, boring office buildings into an area of offices, entertainment, food venues, and fine living. What helped this happen was the increased demands of condos downtown. This thread shows current and future projects of the continuing condo boom in Milwaukee.

First off, I have to start with Milwaukee's finest condo tower, that everybody pretty much loves - the University Club Tower. It is basically finished but this was the original rendering of it:

The Third Ward just across the freeway of downtown's office district has led the way with most of the condo boom up to this day. Some projects include...

The Domus Condominiums

The main reason of the Third Ward's big help to the condo trend was its old warehouses and offices that needed to be renovated into something, which most took form of retail on the first floor, condos/apartments above. An example would be the renovation of the Marine Terminal Warehouse:

Going northeast of Milwaukee, where most Milwaukee posters live, there is also development around them, such as the Park Lafayette Towers

and a little west of that (like 2-3 miles) is the North End mixed-use condo complex along the Milwaukee River

along with The 601 Lofts

Finally the spread of wealth went outside of downtown, along the southern lakefront, with two new prime lakefront and downtown views in the ParkShore

and The Landing - both on St. Francis's lakefront, just minutes from downtown.

I know a lot of Milwaukee posters have pictures of construction, so I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more!
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #2
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Likes (Received): 0

Nice collection but don't forget City Green, Kilbourne Tower, First Place on River, and so on... those construction photos should be sweet.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #3
brewcityfan

Here's Kilbourn Tower under construction, courtesy of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, like 2 years ago....

And the Kilbourn Tower as of 9/06 standing next to an almost complete UCT, thanks to Emporis

First Place on the River as of 9/06, once again thanks to Emporis

Last edited by brewcityfan; February 4th, 2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #4
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

the kilbourn tower is a reallly nice building i wish there was a little more room between the two buioldings to show them off more. maybe someday they'll just connect the two into one huge building ..... or maybe not
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #5
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Thank you for doing this thread. So much easier than glancing through your multi-page development thread...
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Thank you for doing this thread. So much easier than glancing through your multi-page development thread...
Thanks SRG - we Milwaukeeans just have too much to talk about these days on the main thread! Actually, I was kinda inspired by you - you were talking about all the new stuff going on in OKC and I figured why not showcase our new stuff as well!

The last major area of redevelopment into condos and such in downtown is at the former Park East Freeway, which was torn down (and rightfully so) to open more land and to probably make downtown breathe a little better!

Recent projects approved and either under or going to be under construction include the new Kingston Hotel and condo building near the Bradley Center (across from the small redish building you see on the other side of the bridge)

and the Flatiron, more-so at the end of the former freeway, it may be a bit small but for the area it will pack a punch (The North End and Flatiron will be across from each other, North End being on the set of buildings along the river closest to you, Flatiron on the 2nd open parcel closest to you)

The Park East Plaza, located near the former Pabst Brewery on the far edge of that picture. Designed for mixed use, but mostly condos on the upper floors.

While there are other proposals, I want to keep the ones for offices in the main Milwaukee thread, and I do urge anyone who has pics - MM for example, to post away!!

Last edited by brewcityfan; February 5th, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #7
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

How many units are under construction downtown and how many units are in the planning stage. Also, do you know how many units have been built in the last 5 years and what the vacancy rate is right now in downtown.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #8
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerunner1 View Post
How many units are under construction downtown and how many units are in the planning stage. Also, do you know how many units have been built in the last 5 years and what the vacancy rate is right now in downtown.
ragerunner1, I can't give you too many specifics. But here's what I can tell you according to the Milwaukee Department of City Development. Since 1997, up through November of 2006, there has been a total pf 88 projects either completed, currently being built, or planned. For a total of 6637 housing units adding up to nearly 2 billion dollars in housing development in downtown Milwaukee.

Source: http://www.mkedcd.org/downtown/pdfs/Housing.pdf
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #9
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Thanks,
I was just wondering if there has been an increase in residential construction in the last two or three years or is this the norm? Has there been a lot of jobs created in the downtown area recently? The reason I am asking these questions is I am trying to figure out what is creating the demand in downtown Milwaukee for residential living or are many of the units still for sale or bought by speculators.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #10
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerunner1 View Post
Thanks,
I was just wondering if there has been an increase in residential construction in the last two or three years or is this the norm? Has there been a lot of jobs created in the downtown area recently? The reason I am asking these questions is I am trying to figure out what is creating the demand in downtown Milwaukee for residential living or are many of the units still for sale or bought by speculators.
Proposals began in the late 90s, and have picked up since, remaining pretty steady. The projects mostly appeal to empty nesters, young professionals, and Chicago residents looking for a weekend getaway property located within a city. There haven't been too many jobs added downtown.. the growth is just fueled by America's general renewed interest in downtown and Milwaukee's steps to make it a safe, inviting, and fun place to be.
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #11
MilwaukeeD

views of the lake and access to the river spurred a lot of it, since there really have been very few jobs added downtown.

also, the calatrava addition to the art museum is probably what sparked kilbourn tower and university club. rich people wanted a view of the newly-famous building.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #12
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Photo Update: February 9, 2007

University Club Tower:

601 Lofts:

Old February 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #13
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

What about River Renaissance?
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #14
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Has anything moved from park lafayette recently?

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #15
brewcityfan

The only picture I have of River Renaissance is one taken at night a few weeks ago. I'm sure other Milwaukee posters got some better pictures.

As for Park Lafayette last time I was down there I saw construction on the ground and a barrier with banners telling future residents how to purchase/lookover the condos.
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #16
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIL Mike View Post
Has anything moved from park lafayette recently?
I'm still holding off on changing Emporis to reflect an "under construction" status because they've done nothing in weeks. The foundation IS poured so technically, we can change the status on Emporis but there's no point because it seems the project is stalled for some reason. I haven't talked to the developer recently though so I don't really have any concrete information to go by other than walking past the construction site every morning.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #17
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
I'm still holding off on changing Emporis to reflect an "under construction" status because they've done nothing in weeks. The foundation IS poured so technically, we can change the status on Emporis but there's no point because it seems the project is stalled for some reason. I haven't talked to the developer recently though so I don't really have any concrete information to go by other than walking past the construction site every morning.
my guess would just be that the extreme cold, and now snow, has slowed things down. They wouldn't have poured the foundations if they weren't ready to begin construction.
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #18
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
my guess would just be that the extreme cold, and now snow, has slowed things down. They wouldn't have poured the foundations if they weren't ready to begin construction.
Oh I'm sure they're ready to begin construction so yes, you're probably right about the snow and cold. However, that doesn't stop most other projects. The new UWM dorms are going full steam ahead despite the two aforementioned problems. Besides, they're in Wisconsin and I'm sure they anticipated cold and snow. Like I said, you're probably right.. but I have to wonder if there's something else that's working against them at this point seeing as though every day since they poured the foundation hasn't been filled with extreme cold and snow.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #19
MilwaukeeD

Quote:
Oh I'm sure they're ready to begin construction so yes, you're probably right about the snow and cold. However, that doesn't stop most other projects. The new UWM dorms are going full steam ahead despite the two aforementioned problems. Besides, they're in Wisconsin and I'm sure they anticipated cold and snow. Like I said, you're probably right.. but I have to wonder if there's something else that's working against them at this point seeing as though every day since they poured the foundation hasn't been filled with extreme cold and snow.
Could they be waiting on a crane? I heard a few months ago that they were in short supply.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #20
D-res
BANNED

Quote:
The new UWM dorms are going full steam ahead despite the two aforementioned problems..
actually last i heard they were behind schedule. A solid chunk of incoming freshman for next year said they wanted to live at that building as opposed to the on-campus dorms and now it seems they wont be ready by the fall semester and are being pushed back to opening for the spring semester, screwing over a good handful of confused kids.
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote