daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #21
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
Condo Development in Milwaukee's 5th Ward

story i saw on fox 6, says its still in the planning stages
They said the developer is planning a condo with three 11 story towers on a four story base which means 15??? just watch and see the picture of the proposal, looks cool... $100 million dollar development, 220 condos & 80 room hotel ... and $1,000,000 penthouse condos

http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/...Y&pageId=4.1.1
This looks very promising and I hope it goes through without problems.
brewcityfan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #22
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Likes (Received): 0

That would add some density to the area. This could be the type of project that sets fire to walkers point. 3 15 story towers is nice

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #23
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Milwaukee has a secret weapon, kind of a weapon of mass elation. It is called Lake Michigan and it is an unbelievable asset. Only three US cities face directly out onto the Great Lakes. Two of them, Milwaukee and Chicago, have always treasured and lavished their lakefronts. That's why today, the two have some of the most dramatic and exciting waterfronts in the nation, true invitations to build the type of structures you see here.

The third, Cleveland, has experienced a wonderful turnaround and has enhanced its downtown and lakefront very well (the RnR Hall of Fame area, for example), but still pays a price that Chgo and Milw do not for the way that its lakefront was maintained prior to this current era.

Chicago and Milwaukee had the diligence to put all the right pieces together in the first place and are both reaping the benefits.

How truly vibrant the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan has become!
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #24
edsg25
BANNED

oooops, I meant midwestern cities, not US cities, facing directly out onto the Great Lakes. Buffalo does, too.

And one more point: isn't it amazing how Milwaukee and Chicago share scenic urban rivers that run through the heart of their downtowns (again, in Cleveland, the Cuyahouga skirts it and is well below the streets abvoe) that empty into the magnicent lake?

How much has that river-and-lake combination in the cities' cores contributed to their unique environment?
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #25
edsg25
BANNED

wouldn't sight lines and quality views have been far better preserved (and condos become even more lucrative) if Kilbourn and UCT had not been built so close to each other?????
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #26
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
wouldn't sight lines and quality views have been far better preserved (and condos become even more lucrative) if Kilbourn and UCT had not been built so close to each other?????
I've often thought that and others certainly have too but it seems as though that "little" fact has been all but forgotten. Many people who were against the two towers being built so close together at first have since changed their tune and think they compliment each other, it's great for density, etc. While those two statements are true, I still believe they should've been spaced apart more than they are. You're completely right in what you said about sightlines and views being preserved.

The UCT-side units of Kilbourn Tower are an extremely hard sell because of it and it makes me wonder if other potential condo developers have been scared away from pitching proposals simply because of the way those two towers came together (in more ways than one).
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #27
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
I've often thought that and others certainly have too but it seems as though that "little" fact has been all but forgotten. Many people who were against the two towers being built so close together at first have since changed their tune and think they compliment each other, it's great for density, etc. While those two statements are true, I still believe they should've been spaced apart more than they are. You're completely right in what you said about sightlines and views being preserved.

The UCT-side units of Kilbourn Tower are an extremely hard sell because of it and it makes me wonder if other potential condo developers have been scared away from pitching proposals simply because of the way those two towers came together (in more ways than one).
Mark, there is little question that the two, as you say, compliment each other and serve Milwaukee well by their alignment; the city made off just fine on this one. My thoughts were more related to sound real estate decisions. And for that one, it would seem to me from a view perspective that the two would have been more profitable if they weren't so close.

Personal note: I enjoy the summer art fair in the indoor pavillions by the museum. The two towers, as a close in backdrop, only add to the pleasure and the sophistication of the site.
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #28
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Photo Update: February 16, 2007

First Place on the River:

River Renaissance:

Old February 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #29
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

We almost have the entire river covered now. Pretty much all available locations along the river have proposals.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #30
brewcityfan

Thank you for the beautiful pictures MM!!! I got a kick out of the graffiti on the First Place on the River construction panels....UGH but hey the Third and Fifth Wards are really looking good!
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #31
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Photo Update: February 18, 2007

Cathedral Square:

Convent Hill:

(Image courtesy of Boatnurd)

The Flatiron:

(Rendering courtesy of JSOnline)

Park East Square:

(Rendering from RSC & Associates)

Park East Enterprise Lofts:

The Sterling:
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #32
brewcityfan

I didn't even know that building even existed @ Cathedral Square! Wow I need to pay more attention to my surroundings. Nice pics once again!!
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #33
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Photo Update: February 18, 2007 (continued)

All of these condos are on or around Commerce Street - on the north end of downtown. I've got most of the Beerline covered. Just a couple left that are on the other side of the river and on top of the bluff.

River Crest Condominiums (as seen from the top of the hill)

River Crest Condominiums (from below)

Union Point

The Row Houses

The Bluff Homes

The Row Houses and
The Bluff Homes together (also known as Park Terrace)

River Court

River Homes at Beerline

Commerce Bluff Condominiums

Trostel Square

Crescent Condominiums

City Lights
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #34
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

I really like the way that City Lights building looks from Cherry Street. It's almost like a part of the city wall, exclaming a return to urbanity after blocks of parking lots and gravel lots. It'll really fit in once the Park East is finished.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #35
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-københavn View Post
I really like the way that City Lights building looks from Cherry Street. It's almost like a part of the city wall, exclaming a return to urbanity after blocks of parking lots and gravel lots. It'll really fit in once the Park East is finished.
Yeah, it does look nice. Especially at night. I think all of them look great in their own way actually.

When I was by City Lights, standing on top of the bluff, looking out over the city, I was thinking... I can't WAIT for the North End to start. That view is going to be simply AMAZING when it's all finished up.
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #36
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

great pics Milwaukee mark, that beerline area is great
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #37
djcody

cathedral place is one of my favorite buildings. i wish we had more like this... taller would be nice also. Actually i always thought that spot that cathedral place is on would be great for a "tallest" because it would peak out of the skyline right in the middle.
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #38
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

wow you really picked up the slack with most of the rest nice job!

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #39
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIL Mike View Post
wow you really picked up the slack with most of the rest nice job!
Yeah, I've had a little extra time on my hands and that's not going to last long... so I figure I should make use of what time I have.

Any suggestions of what you'd like to see? I've got a few more photos coming up - Riverbridge, Highbridge, Gallun Tannery Row, etc.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #40
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Great pics - I've definitely got to take a trip to Milwaukee to check this out.

I haven't been there in a few years and to be blunt was very unimpressed with it, though I liked the charm of some of the older neighborhoods. Even a lot of the suburban areas seemed kind of run down.

What areas besides downtown would you guys recommend checking out? Any super-cool shops, restaurants, etc. would be appreciated too.