daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #41
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Photo Update: February 19, 2007

A.F. Gallun Tannery (I can't remember what's going on with this site... but it's there for now)

Gallun Tannery Row

I don't know the name of this development but it's directly behind Gallun Tannery Row on Hamilton

Highbridge Condomiums

Riverbridge Condominiums

Here's the pedestrian bridge that crosses the river to link the south end of the beerline neighborhood

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #42
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Great pics - I've definitely got to take a trip to Milwaukee to check this out.

I haven't been there in a few years and to be blunt was very unimpressed with it, though I liked the charm of some of the older neighborhoods. Even a lot of the suburban areas seemed kind of run down.

What areas besides downtown would you guys recommend checking out? Any super-cool shops, restaurants, etc. would be appreciated too.
A great restaurant to eat at with fantastic food and an amazing view is Roots, just above all those condos I've been posting pictures of these past couple days. If fancy isn't what you're looking for, I highly recommend going to Hooligan's on North Avenue for pub food. Be sure to ask for a "playmaker" at the bar as well. It's always fun to play trivia against people across the nation. Nanakusa in the Third Ward is a great Japanese restaurant as well.. but if Chinese is what you're looking for, go to Emporer of China on Brady Street.

Food aside, there's plenty of attractions to see. Be sure to check out Pier Wisconsin. It's still slightly under construction but don't let that deter you. The aquariums are amazing and the activities are fun for kids and adults alike.

If you've never been to the public museum, I recommend that as well. The butterfly wing is fantastic. And of course, if you've never been to the art museum, you're missing out big time.

I'm not really sure what you mean by super-cool shops but I suppose I could name a few. Rubin's furniture in the Third Ward is somethin else. Pretty pricey but fun to look at. Segway Cafe is fun to see as well. I think it's on Buffalo? If you're there, go across the hallway to the art gallery. It's one of only a few galleries in the world that have a print of the famous "Afghan Girl" photograph.

Maybe you could plan your trip around a Bucks game? Admirals? How about a show at the Riverside Theater or the Pabst Theater? They usually have fantastic acts there. Norah Jones is coming to the Riverside and the Decemberists are coming to the Pabst...

Because it's winter, outdoor activity is certainly limited... but you could always bundle up and take a walk along the RiverWalk or go out on the breakwater surrounding McKinley Marina.

Anyway... I could go on forever. I just posted a list of things to do in Milwaukee on my blog if you're interested - see "Blog of the Mark" in my signature.
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM   #43
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 21, 2007, 3:07 p.m.
By Tom Daykin

Downer Ave. development plan advances
A $55 million redevelopment plan for the Downer Ave. business district on Milwaukee's east side appears headed toward Common Council approval after a council committee today recommended zoning approval for the proposal.

New Land Enterprises' proposal, which includes a controversial 11-story condominium and hotel building, won a 5-0 endorsement from the Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee.

New Land owns Downer Ave. buildings that house several neighborhood businesses, including Harry W. Schwartz Bookshop, Chancery Pub and Restaurant, Downer Theatre and Associated Bank.

The firm, led by Boris Gokhman, wants to renovate some of the buildings' upper levels into medical offices, add space to the Associated Bank building at the southeast corner of N. Downer Ave. and E. Park Place, and make building facade improvements.

New Land also is proposing a 129-space parking structure, with 7,500 square feet of retail space, for the city-owned parking lot at the southeast corner of N. Downer Ave. and E. Belleview Place. The firm would buy the 29-space lot for around $350,000.

New Land's proposed 11-story building is opposed by some neighborhood homeowners, who say it would be too large and would generate too much traffic. That development, with 78 hotel rooms, 52 condos and 168 parking spaces, will be just off Downer Ave., at the northeast corner of N. Stowell Ave. and E. Webster Place.
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:51 AM   #44
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Damn, Mark, those photos are really tight, especially the marsupial bridge shot. I was actually in Milwaukee two weekends ago. I went to the Bremen Cafe to see my friend's band play. Afterwards, we walked all the way from there to my friend's place on Pearson and Cass, taking that bridge. We almost died of hypothermia in the process. The only reason I mention this is because these photos remind of that walk. Are they HDR?

Btw, here's a shot I took of AF Gallun.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:10 AM   #45
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Are they HDR?
Yup.. I'm borderline obsessed with HDR now that I have a new camera. Sorry if they seem a bit over the top. That AF Gallun place is the balls... I'd love to go in there one of these days. What are they doing with it again? I can't remember if it's being torn down for development or someone is going to restore it...
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:24 AM   #46
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Yup.. I'm borderline obsessed with HDR now that I have a new camera. Sorry if they seem a bit over the top. That AF Gallun place is the balls... I'd love to go in there one of these days. What are they doing with it again? I can't remember if it's being torn down for development or someone is going to restore it...
You finally got a new camera? I figured as much because the quality of your photos has shot up considerably. Not that the compositional quality wasn't always there, just that the photographic quality has improved. What camera did you get? And glass? It looks like some of these are wide angles. As for the AF Gallun, I sure hope it isn't going to be torn down. It seems like a great candidate for condo conversion.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:44 AM   #47
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Nice pics
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #48
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 218

It might not be a new development per-say, but the former Hotel Wisconsin has completed remodeling into apartments, and a new name - The Grand Wisconsin, on Old World 3rd Street.

Quote:
Downtown developments
The Hotel Wisconsin opened in 1913 and was among the city's oldest hotels when it closed in 2003.

The conversion to the Grand Wisconsin apartments becomes the latest in a series of new downtown developments on or near W. Wisconsin Ave.

Other recent projects include renovations to a 105,000-square-foot office building at 211 W. Wisconsin Ave. The Internal Revenue Service moved its regional offices to the building last year and is leasing 75,000 square feet.

Also, Reuss Federal Plaza, 310 W. Wisconsin Ave., is leasing 8,000 square feet to Atlanta-based Rare Hospitality International Inc., which opened The Capital Grille, a high-end steakhouse, last summer.

Federal Plaza has landed other tenants, including Madison-based CapTel Inc., which is leasing 16,500 square feet for a call center.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM   #49
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Park Lafayette started installing their main crane yesterday, fyi.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM   #50
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
You finally got a new camera? I figured as much because the quality of your photos has shot up considerably. Not that the compositional quality wasn't always there, just that the photographic quality has improved. What camera did you get? And glass? It looks like some of these are wide angles. As for the AF Gallun, I sure hope it isn't going to be torn down. It seems like a great candidate for condo conversion.
almost all of it will be torn down. like with the North End, this is a former tannery and there are serious environmental issues there. they are nice buildings, but they are also soaked in chemicals.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM   #51
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Park Lafayette started installing their main crane yesterday, fyi.
I hadn't known until just a couple hours ago driving to a friends house I saw a crane extending above the trees in a place I've never noticed a crane before. It was exciting...
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #52
UWMilwaukeeJay

To bad the rest of the state thinks Milwaukee is going no where. Let them check this out and I think they would have a change of heart.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #53
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

^
So many people are ignorant of Milwaukee its not ever funny,
thats what Ive learned living up in Wausau for six months.
Hotel Wisconsin is looking great, nice pic.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #54
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
^
So many people are ignorant of Milwaukee its not ever funny,
thats what Ive learned living up in Wausau for six months.
Hotel Wisconsin is looking great, nice pic.

curious...what do they say?
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #55
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf View Post
curious...what do they say?
the most ignorant ive seen is one woman who moved from scranton pennsylvania just recently to merrill, wi
she had to leave because of the approaching sprawl from newyork,
she told me that she should definitely steer clear of milwaukee since it was a pit (as told to her by reliable local sources). and by her tone of voice i could tell that she believed it,
and that milwaukee contained undesireables.

definitely pissed me off, and i let her know that i had lived IN the city of milwaukee
for two years and she said that must of been an "experience" as
if it would be something to grinned and beared or survived. I ofcourse let her know that she totally wrong and should check it out her for herself, for which im sure will never happen.

just today i was talking to someone about moose lodge and elk lodge
as there is a moose lodge convention at the hotel i live at now in wausau,
the plaza, blah, blah, and he says he lived in milwaukee for a long time (yeah right), he had never heard of riverwest (ofcourse) and then went to go on to say that he lived on the southside of milwaukee, and then i let him know that i had heard about the recent tragic events at national and 19th
to which he replied that he had lived in oak creek, what the ****?

i think it would make more sense to say among the south suburbs of milwaukee.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #56
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

New condo tower brings height you won't hate

Posted: March 4, 2007

Milwaukeeans have a love/hate relationship with tall buildings. We bemoan our vertically challenged skyline and covet the soaring towers of Chicago and Manhattan. But almost anytime someone here proposes a tall building outside the central business district - even a building that by big-city standards isn't terribly tall - the old not-in-my-backyard hackles go up. Out of character, out of scale, we're not Chicago, there goes the neighborhood - well, you know the litany.

This nervousness can be justified when a tall building makes no concessions to its surroundings. But height alone is not something to be feared. It's a sign of a vibrant real-estate market. And it is the way hemmed-in cities like Milwaukee grow and reinvent themselves in the fight against sprawl. What matters more than lankiness is how we experience a building at the street level.

Case in point: The new University Club Tower, 825 N. Prospect Ave., a 36-story condo spire just south of E. Kilbourn Ave. Construction won't be complete until late summer or early fall. But even now, the statuesque building shows how a skyscraper can address the street gracefully, reinforce a sense of place and, for the most part, work and play well with others.

Designed for the Mandel Group by the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the building is a handsome bookend to its northern neighbor, the 33-story Kilbourn Tower (La Dallman Architects). The fact that these two titans are cheek by jowl doesn't bother me. As Peter Ellis, the design architect, put it: "Tall buildings like company. They don't like to stand alone."

As a counterpoint to the jazzy interplay of glass curtain walls and tan precast skin of rectilinear Kilbourn Tower, the all-white U Club Tower curves around its southern edge in deference to John Russell Pope's Georgian Revival University Club (1926) next door, whose former parking lot it occupies. The newcomer has the old warhorse's classical sensibility without resorting to pasted-on historicist detail. And at street level, the four-story, pierced planes that project from the east and south facades bring the building right out to the sidewalk while breaking down its mass to pedestrian scale.

The Prospect Ave. entrance is low-key but beautifully detailed, with well-proportioned glass canopies, a wheelchair ramp that zigzags around little planters and columns softened by chamfered corners and highlighted by subtle striping.

Those alternating bands of buff precast and white, highly polished silica composite widen as they move upward, evoking a 14th-century Italian cathedral.

The U Club Tower, Ellis said, just had to be white - "as white as possible" - not only to play against the Kilbourn Tower but also to acknowledge the white icons nearby: the Cudahy Tower, the U.S. Bank Building (also a Skidmore product) and the Calatrava addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum. The other value of whiteness is its buoyancy: On a tight site, this slender tower seems almost to recede into the sky.

And, like a fine piece of sculpture, it looks good from almost every vantage point, thanks in part to recessed balconies and tall, transomed windows that enhance the relation of solids to voids. When you head east on Kilbourn, you see the building's cylindrical core, where elevators and mechanical systems are housed. This curved spine will eventually be covered in a silvery, lead-coated copper; its cap is arched to make the building appear even taller.

The interior, with its high quality finishes and panoramic views of the lake, is airy and well laid out. (All but six of the 52 units, which sell for a stratospheric $1.1 million to $4 million, are spoken for. That Milwaukee can support such pricey pads testifies to the vigor of the downtown renewal.)

Two elements fall short. One is the building's blank northern wall. Passers-by won't notice it, but I can't imagine that Kilbourn Tower residents are thrilled to look out on such a dead canvas.

Also, the U Club Tower's rear parking structure, which faces Marshall St., is a heavy red-brick box. The brick was a nod to neighboring apartment buildings, and the 230-car garage is broken into windowed bays that will eventually have vines snaking down them; there will also be a roof garden. These are welcome gestures, but it would have been better to treat the parking structure as an extension of the light and engaging parent building.

Small cavils. Overall, this is a winner, lofting our low-rise skyline to stylish new heights.
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #57
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
Construction won't be complete until late summer or early fall..
By the way.. wtf? How did the completion date get pushed back so far?
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #58
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
The Small Business Times has another article about the revised Ghazi proposal, plus a rendering.

^Similar to the earlier version, it is a U-shaped building; with a 25-to-31-story condo tower (depending on the demand for units) and a 15-story hotel tower, with a public plaza in between the towers.

More here: Another hotel proposal arises for site near convention center

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #59
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

Wow. That looks a lot better than the earlier design. I hope this goes through.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #60
LAX100

It's so awesome that Milwaukee is getting some good looking buildings. There are plenty places around the city that I think the only architectural inspiration was a refrigerator box. Of course this is the legacy of the 60’s and 70’s….even into the 80’s with the U.S. bank building. Hopefully this will bring more prestige to our state’s biggest city.
LAX100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote