search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Cityscapes

Cityscapes discussion, photography and news of towns, cities, districts and states.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #781
taurus064

Likes (Received): 433

Another batch of old KL photos ........

Sept 1965 - Another part of busy Jalan Pudu. This photo looks it is like being taken in front of Tung Shin Hospital near the present-day Pudu Raya Bus Terminal ........

Sept 1965 - Heavy traffic along Jalan Ampang. Photo probably taken in front of the old AIA Building (note the building facade on the extreme left). Note also the road-widening works on the right side of the road and the two Sri Jaya buses on the left side ..........

March 1964 - The Oriental Building. Photo taken from Masjid Jamek just across the road ..........

February 1980 - Aerial view of the skyline of KL. Note the on-going construction of Menara DBKL on the left side of the photo .........

June 1969: Motorists from Jalan Ipoh had the smoothest ride to Petaling Jaya as they are able to avoid the city centre through the main North-South Highway. The highway is connected with the completion of the flyover in Jalan Kuching. Note the signboard on the left - Jalan Swettenham is the old name for today's Jalan Mahameru. On the far background right, you can almost notice what looks like the the old Suleiman Court Flats ..........

1965: The newly-opened Kwong Yik Bank Berhad head office building in Kuala Lumpur. Now houses the RHB Bank branch.

September 1965: The facade of the Bangkok Bank building at the junction of Leboh Pudu and Jalan Bandar (now Jalan Tun H S Lee) in Kuala Lumpur.

Last edited by taurus064; July 16th, 2012 at 06:39 AM.
taurus064 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #782
vincentchan191

Likes (Received): 10

More like taken in front of the Chinese Maternity hospital. On the left is the old car dealership, I think Borg Warner? Further along is the padan "Lean Ow Tong." It used to be a pond where they harvest water lotus roots. That land is very soft and not suitable for high rise buildings.
vincentchan191 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #783
dengilo

Likes (Received): 1999

Ur right i can see the old shell station on the right!We are looking towards the old SCRC grounds which now our beloved "Plaza Rakyat site!In the far distance looks like the bangkok bank building?
dengilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #784
dengilo

Only if the cameraman swing his camera to show the old courthouse.
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #785
dengilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus064 View Post
Yet more old KL photos from the 1950s and 1960s .........

September 1965: Busy with vehicles as usual in Jalan Pudu, Kuala Lumpur. Wonder which part of Jalan Pudu is this?
Looking towards puduraya on the left!The shell station is the big giveaway
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #786
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus064 View Post
Another batch of old KL photos ........

Sept 1965 - Another part of busy Jalan Pudu. This photo looks it is like being taken in front of Tung Shin Hospital near the present-day Pudu Raya Bus Terminal ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentchan191 View Post
More like taken in front of the Chinese Maternity hospital. On the left is the old car dealership, I think Borg Warner? Further along is the padan "Lean Ow Tong." It used to be a pond where they harvest water lotus roots. That land is very soft and not suitable for high rise buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengilo View Post
Ur right i can see the old shell station on the right!We are looking towards the old SCRC grounds which now our beloved "Plaza Rakyat site!In the far distance looks like the bangkok bank building?
Yes....everyone is correct. The car dealership is Wearnes Brothers. They used to be the dealer for many car brands like Jaguar etc.....Now they are back with the Volkswagen dealership at Jln Sg. Besi.
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #787
argory

Likes (Received): 130

Apparently the Pudu pond was actually a river dam in very early KL. Interestingly, the dammed river (or stream) flowed on what eventually became Foch Avenue!

This video contains a map of that river.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCp-dD2oxk
argory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #788
taurus064

More old KL photos yet again - Enjoy them .........

December 1962: View of Market Street (now Lebuh Pasar Besar) in Kuala Lumpur.

May 1966: A long line of vehicles moving at a snail's pace through the dust and rubble caused by road works at the busy Jalan Pudu-Jalan Bukit Bintang junction.

February 1964: Night view of old Weld Supermarket .........

August 1962:Leboh Pasar Besar, Kuala Lumpur. Photo taken from the direction of Loke Yew Building looking towards the old Mercantile Bank (background middle) .........

November 1962: Front view of the Lee Wah Bank building in Kuala Lumpur. Now houses the UOB Bank Medan Pasar branch ..........

June 1966: "Keep left, driver", a traffic policeman shouts into his loud-hailer on the Federal Highway, Kuala Lumpur at the second day of the "Ikut Kiri" campaign ........

March 1965: The old General Post Office (GPO) building at Jalan Raja in Kuala Lumpur. It serves as KL's main GPO until it was shifted to the nearby Kompleks Dayabumi in 1985 .........

May 1961 - View of Medan Pasar area, showing the clock tower (middle) and the old Mercantile Bank which is still under construction .......

April 1970: An aerial view of Kuala Lumpur city showing the Jalan Pudu - Jalan Bukit Bintang area. Pavilion cinema can be seen in the foreground left of the photo while Masjid Negara can also be seen in the far distance (background left) .........

August 1963: Malayan Banking Bhd branch at Sultan Street in Kuala Lumpur. I wonder in which part of Jalan Sultan 'cause I don't remember there was a Maybank Branch there .........

Last edited by taurus064; July 17th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #789
dengilo

Was it originally a single level building?

Last edited by dengilo; July 17th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #790
archilover

Likes (Received): 3174

wow,very nostalgic..great image!
archilover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #791
taurus064

Some more old KL photos from different eras .........

April 1982 - Imbi Plaza, a haven for PC & PC accessories shopper is located along Jalan Imbi; Kuala Lumpur. Now renamed in reverse as Plaza Imbi ........

April 1983 - The Weld Supermarket as seen from the direction of Jalan Raja Chulan ..........

June 1983: Down goes the Weld Supermarket building, to be replaced by the $125 million, 26 storey shopping-cum-office complex, expected to be completed in three years time in two stages. The owner of Weld is Fima Supermarket (M) Sdn. Bhd .........

January 1981 - The on-going construction of Wisma Stephens (now Wisma Cosway) which is located along Jalan Raja Chulan .........

December 1961 - The FAM (Football Association of Malaya; now Football Association of Malaysia) building located along Birch Road (now Jalan Maharajalela), Kuala Lumpur .......

January 1961: The Loke Yew building located along Lebuh Pasar Besar is being gaily decorated for the installation of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong. Note the Yang di-Pertuan Agong's portrait at the bottom of the photo ........

January 1957: Firemen fighting the flames at the Odeon Cinema in Kuala Lumpur.

Last edited by taurus064; July 19th, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #792
dengilo

Yes it was built in stages even back then!Not many people know that the present day building is actually a 3rd generation building on that lot!Long before the old weld supermarket there was a house/mansion
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #793
dengilo

Taurus i must say i am curious where all those photos came from?NST is a good giveawayGood job and thanks a lot bro
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #794
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1807

Quote:

Yes it was built in stages even back then!Not many people know that the present day building is actually a 3rd generation building on that lot!Long before the old weld supermarket there was a house/mansion
I remember this!

So nostalgic as I used to go there when I was small! However anyone got old pics of Sungei Wang? I still remember the orb fountain and Wendy's there. Then there is the old brown and beige painting scheme hehe
Old July 19th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #795
dengilo

I grew up in that neighborhoodIt was my kedai runcitlahThose were the good old dayslah.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #796
vincentchan191

Quote:
I grew up in that neighborhoodIt was my kedai runcitlahThose were the good old dayslah.
I can see the row of shop houses where I was born and raised in the photo. The shop houses have been demolished but our shop cross the road is still there. Thanks for the memories guys.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #797
vincentchan191

Quote:
Taurus i must say i am curious where all those photos came from?NST is a good giveawayGood job and thanks a lot bro
Didn't the Strait Times have an office in the same row of buildings as the Wearne Bros, near opposite was the Blue Boy Mansions??
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #798
dengilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentchan191 View Post
I can see the row of shop houses where I was born and raised in the photo. The shop houses have been demolished but our shop cross the road is still there. Thanks for the memories guys.
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #799
vincentchan191

Quote:

What is kedai runcitiah??
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #800
vincentchan191

Your kedai is in that row of shop houses on the right of the picture?

Quote:
Your shop is also in the row of shop houses on the right hand side of the picture? You Teohcheow ah? I was in the kopi shop at the end next to the charcoal shop.