daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Development and Business > Υποδομές και Οικονομία | Infrastructure and Economy

Υποδομές και Οικονομία | Infrastructure and Economy Οικονομία και Υποδομές | Economy & Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

Likes (Received): 0

Airports in Greece

Last edited by Singidunum; October 15th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
GuyFromMoss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 5th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Christos7

Good question.

Ofcourse the Athens Airport was relocated and built new, so that was taken care of. (long overdue, and much needed)

I believe the Thessaloniki Airport has plans for renovation... and also I have heard things and seen pictures for the Airport in Ioannina. Those are the first two that come to mind.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)

Last edited by Christos7; February 5th, 2005 at 12:25 AM.
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #3
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 52

Greek Airports are here http://www.hcaa-eleng.gr/greekair.htm
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #4
Prometheus
A pimp named Slickback

Likes (Received): 8

GFM, good questions. I believe Thessaloniki's Macedonia airport, the airport of Nea Anhialos (in Thessaly between the cities of Volos and Larissa), Ioannina's airport and Iraklion's airport on Crete are all schedueled to receive upgrades.

Virtual Greece

MACEDONIA:HELLENIC AND PROUD
Prometheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #5
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

The new airport in Athens looks great! This could be a model for other airports in Greece. Herakilon is the worst airport I ever been at.
Old February 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Christos7

I found some designs of the stadiums.... (thanks to Konstantinoupolis)

The new Macedonia Airport, Thessaloniki

The new airport in Ioannina

"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Kuvvaci
Strange User

I like the design of Macedonia Airport. Current one is too old. This one looks like smaller than Athens but modern. I guess it will be as big as new Izmir airport.
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #8
daft_freak

About Athens International Airport...

Athens International Airport - Winner of 2 AETRA Awards - 2nd in Europe / 2nd in the world for 2003

- Monday, October 18, 2004

Athens International Airport was awarded two prestigious AETRA awards (former IATA Awards * ) for “Overall Passenger Satisfaction” within the framework of the annual Airports Council International (ACI) World Assembly (Lisbon, 11-15.10.2004), reflecting again this year the airport’s successful and steady performance in providing exemplary services to its passengers and visitors.

Analytically, this year's IATA & ACI AETRA Awards Ceremony took place within the framework of the ACI World Assembly, rewarding the airports distinguished in the AETRA survey for the year 2003. This year, the international aviation community honoured Athens International Airport with the following distinctions:

Ø Award for 2nd place in the world in the competitive airport size category from 5 to 15 million passengers per annum, behind the airport of Cape Town. It is noteworthy that, for the second consecutive year, "Eleftherios Venizelos" airport ranked 1st in Europe in the above category.

Ø Award for 2nd place in Europe regardless of airport size category, ranked behind Copenhagen airport.

AIA's Marketing & Public Relations Manager, Mr. George Karamanos received the awards during the "AETRA Awards 2003" ceremony, staged on Thursday, October 14th, in the Palacio Dos Congressos, in Lisbon.

AIA's Press Office
IATA's Global Airport Monitor programme has been re-branded to AETRA in 2004, as part of a joint initiative of IATA and ACI. AETRA is the world's leading airport benchmarking programme; the results achieved by Athens International Airport reflect the airport's dynamic course internationally, as well as its contribution to the positive image of Greece.

In terms of quality performance, in 2003, Athens International Airport was awarded with the "Recognized for Excellence" Award of the European Foundation for Quality Management (E.F.Q.M.), acknowledging the level of business excellence and the quality of services of the Airport's Information Technology & Telecommunications Department. AIA achieved the second level of E.F.Q.M. excellence awards, following the "Committed to Excellence" distinction received by the Airport Company in March 2002, as recognition of the company's commitment to business excellence.
daft_freak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #9
mvelig

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromMoss
Herakilon is the worst airport I ever been at.
The heraklion airport is really a sad story. Taking into account that is the first greek airport in traffic during the summer months and second overall expansion is really necessary. They did some renovations for the olympics and added some more space but obviously that's not enough. I just hope it's a temp solution until, they move it outside (they have proposed a region close to Hersonissos-Kastelli, but still it's not gonna be ready until 2012-2014 or so). They only good thing , regarding passengers of course, is that is located just 15 minutes from the city center.
mvelig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #10
Carpe diem

In terms of architecture the Athens Airport is not so good (except the control tower) of course the airport's services are a case-study for the rest airports in this world
Carpe diem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #11
Raleigh-NC

Here is a link:

http://www.hcaa-eleng.gr/periph.htm

Hope you find all that info (and photos) useful.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #12
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe diem
In terms of architecture the Athens Airport is not so good (except the control tower) of course the airport's services are a case-study for the rest airports in this world
Why don't you like the architecture of Athens Airport! It looks nice...
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #13
Carpe diem

I find it a bit boring..Overall it's ok but I think Athens deserved its airport to be an architecture "landmark"

(But in any case a prefer a minimal and neat airport than an ulrta-kitsch structure)
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #14
Poliochni

A little GEM of an airport is the new LEMNOS Airport.

For a remote island, off the beaten track, it is really well organised and presented !

Brand new, with about 5 gates (!), conveyor belt for the luggage, a duty free shop (!), Rent a Car offices, it should be a model for island airports.
Poliochni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #15
Carpe diem

Greece overall has 80 airports

That's a bit less from 8 airports per 1 million people (which is the same figure for France and UK)
Greece is above other OECD countries like:

Austria and Germany (around 6,7 airports per 1 mil.)
Portugal (6 airports per 1 mil.)
Belgium (4 airports per 1 mil.)
Spain (3,7 airports per 1 mil.)
Italy and South Korea (2 airports per 1 mil.)
Turkey and Netherlands (1,7 airports per 1 mil.)
and Japan (1,3 airports per 1 mil.)

pas mal, pas mal
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #16
Skaros

Thessaloniki Airport as seen from the sky
Skaros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #17
Alexander21
Megas Makedonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliochni
A little GEM of an airport is the new LEMNOS Airport.

For a remote island, off the beaten track, it is really well organised and presented !

Brand new, with about 5 gates (!), conveyor belt for the luggage, a duty free shop (!), Rent a Car offices, it should be a model for island airports.
EInai panemorfo kai poli oreo to aerodromio ths Limnou.

It should be a model for all island airports.
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:57 PM   #18
Skaros

Karpathos Airport
Aegean Sea is full of small islands which face many problems during the winter time.(mainly because of the difficulties of the ferryboats to approach the islands when there is a bad weather) For this reason almost all the islands with population over 500 people have a small airport. Karpathos island with population of 6,000 has a small airport serving the carpathians but also the numerous tourists who arrive during the summer with charter flights (north europe mostly).
There is a liliput terminal building (700 sq. m.) , which has just the basic and a small cafeteria . The advantage of the airport is that it has an adequate corridor length so future upgrade is possible.

Runaway length : 2100m x 30 m

There are 5 stands , 3 for large aircrafts and 2 for smaller (like ATR-72 which are used for connecting the island with Athens , Rodos and Kassos)

Skaros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:04 PM   #19
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 661

I believe that the Athens airport, albeit small (planned for 16mn passengers per annum, now serving close to 12mn pa) compared to others (read Heathrow ), is one of the friendliest in Europe. As for the architecture, I hope we will appoint Mr Calatrava again (with whom the Greeks most likely have a close association due to our common Mediterranean origins to design an appropriate roof. In any case, the guys from the German contractor, Hochtief, have done an excellent job and guess what: The Airport opened in 2001 and now the company is ready to be listed in the Athens Stock exchange!!! (something which proves the financial stability and viability of the project)

Athens airport pictures, all taken by me from May to July 2003:

-Control tower (height: 65m, almost the height of a 15-storey building)

-Athens Airport Sofitel Hotel (five-star)

Footbridge connecting the Departures lounge with the train station

-Departure level - Looking towards the Sofitel Hotel

-The Railway station and the Footbridge to the Departures level.

-The train platforms at the station:

-View from the Train Station cafe towards the Attica Road that passes underneath the station

Also, besides Athens airport, and the ones shown here, the Chania and Rhodes airports are decent...
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:25 PM   #20
Allan
Strength and Honour

Likes (Received): 4

great shots

"The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be." (Socrates)
Allan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: