daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17811

Racing Up the Empire State

German, Australian win race up N.Y. skyscraper

NEW YORK, Feb 6 (Reuters Life!) - Australian Suzy Walsham took up staircase running to win a trip to New York, and captured the top prize on Tuesday after racing 1,576 steps up the city's tallest skyscraper at the Empire State Building Run-Up.

Walsham broke the tape on the 86th-floor Observation Deck in 13 minutes, 12 seconds to beat American Cindy Moll-Harris, a four-times winner of the event, by 12 seconds.

Germany's Thomas Dold won his second successive race up the landmark building by 31 seconds over compatriot Jahn Mattias with a time of 10:25, to take the men's title. It was the 30th time the annual event had been run.

"I'm a novice. I'm a newcomer," said a beaming Walsham, a former Australian 1,500 metres champion.

"I did my first stairway race last November in Singapore," said the Sydney native, who now works as an accountant in Singapore. "And I did it because the prize was a trip to come here. This is only my second stairs race ever."

Walsham, 33, said she has been running 50 miles (80 km) per week. She improvised some training last week for the Empire race, which awards a trophy but no prize money.

"My Singapore condominium is 17 stories high and I live on the fifth floor, which is my only access to the stairwell," she told Reuters. "So I ran to the top, caught the lift back down and did that eight times. I did that twice before I came here.

The Australian said she was surprised how easily it went.

"It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, but a couple of minutes after I finished I started getting chest pains and I felt like I was going to throw up.

"And I thought 'I can't do that here in front of everyone!' Fortunately, I didn't."

There were 200 finishers in the race, 145 men and 55 women. The competitions, from 12 countries, climbed 1,050 feet (320 metres).

Walsham said she was pleased to carry on the Empire success of Australian cyclist Paul Crake, who from 1999 won five successive sprints up the building. Crake was paralyzed by a cycling accident last November in New Zealand.

"Australia has quite a good tradition here and it's an absolute tragedy the injury that Paul Crake had. So I'm thrilled to have kept up that tradition," she said.

Walsham won three days accommodations in New York with her Singapore victory, and has decided to stay on the rest of the week out of her own pocket.

Dold, however, was in a rush after his stairs sprint.

The 22-year-old said he was hurrying back to university in Stuttgart for a course in farming economics at noon on Wednesday.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Ive always wondered bout this race...if attendance is anything like the boston/NY marathons, many people must be crushed on the stairs on the way up...
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
hkskyline
Hong Kong

2003 Event & Photos
http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/touris...runup_2003.cfm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #4
vader11

Likes (Received): 9

anyone has the info about the race of 2ifc?
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader11 View Post
anyone has the info about the race of 2ifc?

http://www.commchest.org/eng/archives.cfm?no=95

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #6
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

looks very hard i guess you would just have to fight your way up past everyone!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #7
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

make this race in the Burj Dubai with 160F +
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #8
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

From what I heard on the Eywitness Guide is that the fastest time at has taken for someone to run up all 102 floors was 11 minutes.
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #9
Mesh22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
is it just me but does that look really dangerous!? Maybe its the slippery marble floors or the thought of that many people fighting their way up 102 flights of stairs alarms me.
Mesh22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #10
Liz L

Likes (Received): 0

I could barely make it DOWN the stairs from the ESB's observation deck to the 80th floor because they're so steep and each step is so high, so I can't imagine going UP, especially if the stairs from ground level to the 80th floor are as rough... ...and yeah, those stairwells are a bit narrow...

And, umm...ZZ-II, as for racing up the stairs in the Burj Dubai, let's don't, and say we did?... ...It would probably be easier to race up the rickety looking spiral stairs inside the old WW II machine gun emplacement to get to the top of Diamond Head in Hawaii...