daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Old August 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #281
SJTommy

Likes (Received): 0

NUMMI No More

It's official. Toyota has announced that it will shut down NUMMI for good in March 2010.
SJTommy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old December 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #282
xThomasTroublex

Likes (Received): 1

New renderings of a proposed Hunter's Point 49ers stadium courtesy of Lennar development. Pretty pictures but the "developer offered no substantive changes to a stadium proposal the 49ers have passed over in favor of the South Bay plan."

xThomasTroublex no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #283
pesto

Likes (Received): 200

“Shall the City of Santa Clara adopt Ordinance 17.20 leasing City property for a professional football stadium and other events; no use of City General or Enterprise funds for construction; no new taxes for residents for stadium; Redevelopment Agency funds capped for construction; private party pays all construction cost overruns; no city/agency obligation for stadium operating/maintenance; private party payment of projected fair market rent; and additional funds for senior/youth/library/recreation to City’s General fund?”

Carefully crafted language to play up the positives and counteract the anticipated doubts. 49ers say they will spend whatever it takes to win.
pesto no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM   #284
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Likes (Received): 10

I hope that they do win.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:13 AM   #285
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaSantos View Post
I hope that they do win.
Ew, no. Keep "San Francisco" out of the south bay.
krudmonk está en línea ahora  
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #286
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ew, no. Keep "San Francisco" out of the south bay.
I agree, but the SF name won't last long is they move down south. NEITHER the south bay or SF would want San Francisco anywhere in the title of the 49ers if they move south.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM   #287
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaSantos View Post
I agree, but the SF name won't last long is they move down south. NEITHER the south bay or SF would want San Francisco anywhere in the title of the 49ers if they move south.
The SF name is marketable so they'll use it forever. San Francisco and San Jose have no say. Only little Santa Clara can put in a stipulation about the name, but they obviously don't care because they want to be as famous as Orchard Park and East Rutherford.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #288
pesto

krudmonk: I agree that the SF brand is worth something; certainly more than SJ or Santa Clara. But not so much in sports. The Warriors didn't feel the need to keep the name nor did the Sharks or Raiders show any interest in it. And I would argue that the Raiders probably have the best known logo/marque in football in spite of being in Oakland (I am not a fan, but they are famous even when they're bad).

But, I hope this whole team location and naming business doesn't remain petty after the issues are resolved. Hopefully it's only some regional die-hards that care, not the real fans of the teams.

The issue doesn't seem as serious with the Warriors and A's, who presumably would change to SJ. The SJ Raiders would be a little odd however.
pesto no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #289
krudmonk
sucks

I didn't mean "San Francisco" alone. The 49ers are tied to that name. They have the SF logo and everything. It's a lot more to give up than it would be to adopt by a team starting up today.

The Warriors played in an agricultural exhibition hall and various gyms before moving to Oakland so it's not like they left a great legacy in San Francisco, although you wouldn't know it from their website and frequent throwback jerseys.

As for the Raiders, their iconic shield logo does not carry a city name, just the team. When I was a kid, "Oakland Raiders" sounded weird to me because I was born in '83 and knew only the Los Angeles Raiders.
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #290
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Not to hard to change the logo, many teams do it all the time. Besides it would be a nice way to get a fresh start in a new area. Replace the "SF" with "49ers", done =)
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #291
pesto

and I always thought of them as the Oakland Raiders even when they were in LA.

In all fairness to the Cow Palace, there were a number of athletic and musical events, and Presidential conventions there. And the Sharks called it home for a few years as well.

Otherwise, let's hope we get some action on some of these moves. I notice that SJ has budgeted more development money for land purchases. And the Little Italy development could get some serious business from the A's or basketball coming to town.
pesto no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #292
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

San Jose soccer stadium rezoning approved
Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

The San Jose City Council approved rezoning property near Mineta San Jose International Airport to allow a soccer stadium to be built for the San Jose Earthquakes.

The council voted 10-0 Tuesday in favor of the proposal, which involves 95 acres on Coleman Avenue.

The stadium is expected to have about 18,000 seats.

San Jose officials paid more than $81 million to the FMC Corp. for the entire parcel in 2005.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:49 AM   #293
pesto

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_148039...ce=most_viewed

It seems that the Sharks have some doubts about traffic if the A's come to town. I don't know if this really is opposition to the park but that's how some of the media is playing it.

The only real issue is in April and May. Assuming the Sharks have 10 home playoff games (a very good playoff run) and the A's play 20 home games in 50 days, there should still be plenty of slots for games. A 1:00 day game won't interfere with a 7:30 night game so you're looking at 100 possible slots.

Otherwise, the rumors seem to be that Bud Selig has received his report and talked to key owners and the A's are going to be cleared. Let's hope.
pesto no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #294
pesto

Latest poll shows the Santa Clara stadium pulling well ahead. Best news is that it is winning on all demographics (old, young, dem, rep, union, business, rich, poor) although dems, young and union give the biggest margins.

The Niners promise to pour on more money and the NFL has weighed in saying that California's existing stadiums have no hope for a Super Bowl but the new stadium would get one quickly.

Over in SJ, the city is busily putting together the parcels for the new A's stadium and building a connection to 880 (which will help traffic from HP and all of DT for that matter). The polls there show a strong lead as well and the hints keep coming that SJ is the leading candidate.
pesto no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #295
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Great news on all fronts!
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM   #296
pesto

Mayor Newsom of SF has clarified the future: he says that the Santa Clara stadium vote will pass but it won't mean anything because the 49ers will never obtain financing. In 2 or 3 years they will crawl back to SF and beg to be allowed to play in the new fully-funded, fully-permitted Hunter's Point Stadium (along with the Raiders, who will already be signed up to play there).

Honest to God, I don't make these things up.
pesto no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #297
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

If J passes (and I hope it does), I'm really to start pushing this facebook group to rename the niners: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8239774&v=wall
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #298
pesto

So what are the leading proposals for names?
pesto no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #299
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
So what are the leading proposals for names?
1. San Francisco 49ers
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. San Francisco 49ers

It won't change. Hopefully J just fails and they stay up there.
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #300
surrill

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
1. San Francisco 49ers
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. San Francisco 49ers

It won't change. Hopefully J just fails and they stay up there.
this^