daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Sweden > Stockholm

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Sims

Likes (Received): 6

Stockholm Public Library Design - FINALISTS

Out of the thousands of proposals that have been recieved, the six finalists are now decided.

Some of the renderings are not that good and don't show that much of the designs, but hopefully there will be more detailed ones around.
Blanket

The Book Hill

Cut

Delphinium

Nosce te ipsum

Dikthörnan (=Poem corner)
Sims no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 214

Where do the finalists come from?
Chilenofuturista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #3
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

Likes (Received): 239

some of them looks really good. the bookhill is my favorite!
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Ringil
The Big Cheese

Likes (Received): 27

the book hill, def!
Ringil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 11

yeah, the book hill!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #6
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

but i bet Nosce te ipsum will win, in stockholm the most boring proposal always win .. just look at the new karolinska sjukhuset . . blääää
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #7
staff
囧!

Likes (Received): 472

Awesome stuff!
Looks like Ljusets Kalender in Malmö will be losing its place as the most spectacular public library in Sweden soon.
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #8
Sims

Alright guys here comes the full descriptions! With PDFs and more

BLANKET
http://www.arkitekt.se/s28127

image hosted on flickr

THE BOOK HILL
http://www.arkitekt.se/s28133

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

CUT
http://www.arkitekt.se/s28139

image hosted on flickr

DELPHINIUM
http://www.arkitekt.se/s28145

image hosted on flickr

DIKTHÖRNAN
http://www.arkitekt.se/s28185

image hosted on flickr

NOSCE THE IPSUM
http://www.arkitekt.se/s28218

image hosted on flickr
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #9
Sims

And I can only agree, The Book Hill looks great! Hope the new government is brave enough to choose it
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #10
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 624

my list:

1. Bookhill
2. Cut
3. Dikthörnan
4. Blanket
5. Nosce Te Ipsum
6. Delphinium

But Blanket will get lower grades from the average 08 (i.e., Stockholmer), but I am hopeful for Bookhill. Having such access to the top of Observatoriekullen would be awesome. Plus, just look at how much the original library will be visible from Odenplan (major crossroads & transit hub in the Inner City):
image hosted on flickr
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Svempa99

Likes (Received): 2

I think I favor the Bookhill. It's interesting that at least three of the proposals are buildings that want to be landscape, like a part of the hill. The solution in Bookhill reminds me of the new opera house in Oslo or the science museum in Amsterdam (designed by Renzo Piano). Ramps are fashionable! And it's logical that Stockholm which is quite a hilly place gets new architecture that deals with the height differences in this elegant way.
Svempa99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #12
Gatis

Likes (Received): 425

I like "Cut" - it looks cosy and "melts" with the mountain. Looks like castle of some dwarwes with secret knowledge inside

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Chilenofuturista

About Nopsce Te Ipsum from arkitekt.se:

"The project "samples" Asplund's architecture in a witty and conceptual way and uses projects drawn by Gunnar Asplund himself" - who cares! Gunnar Asplund lived and worked almost over 100 years ago and he was a child of his time.

Nopsce is simply PATHETIC and would just contribute even more to the Swedish stigma- 60's and 70's modernism. Haven't we already got enough of bad experiences from that foolish era? Does the name "commie block" sound familiar?
For christ's sake, the buildings in this proposal are almost equal pathetic copies of the pathetic buildings "Södra Huset" at Stockholm University's Frescati campus. Heck, they look exactly like thousands of other buildings stemming from the dreadfully godforsaken commie block era, and that can be found throughout the entire world.

My favourites are bookhill (what a fitting name!) and cut! They take the dramatic local morphology into account and blend smoothly and perfectly in, creating a sleek pseudo-organic/natural symbiosis.

Nopsce Te Ipsum, right? Knowing yourself, right?

I beg to confute that argument and say.

Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #14
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Bookhill all the way! It seems to be a really interesting building that "melts" together with the hill without taking the eye from the classic library building like Swede pointed out
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #15
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

they got a poll on dn.se sthlm section for the diffrent propsals and bookhill is in the leed with 52% #2 is Dikthörnan with 18% ther beutifull Nosce te ipsum only got 3%
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #16
Svempa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista View Post
About Nopsce Te Ipsum from arkitekt.se:

"The project "samples" Asplund's architecture in a witty and conceptual way and uses projects drawn by Gunnar Asplund himself" - who cares! Gunnar Asplund lived and worked almost over 100 years ago and he was a child of his time.

Nopsce is simply PATHETIC and would just contribute even more to the Swedish stigma- 60's and 70's modernism. Haven't we already got enough of bad experiences from that foolish era? Does the name "commie block" sound familiar?
For christ's sake, the buildings in this proposal are almost equal pathetic copies of the pathetic buildings "Södra Huset" at Stockholm University's Frescati campus. Heck, they look exactly like thousands of other buildings stemming from the dreadfully godforsaken commie block era, and that can be found throughout the entire world.

My favourites are bookhill (what a fitting name!) and cut! They take the dramatic local morphology into account and blend smoothly and perfectly in, creating a sleek pseudo-organic/natural symbiosis.

Nopsce Te Ipsum, right? Knowing yourself, right?

I beg to confute that argument and say.

Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum

I must argue against you here... Boxy buildings are not necessarily commie blocks. Much of the coolest modern buildings of today are very boxy and repetitious but have a complete different finish and feel than the 60s era. Architecture have always been more or less boxy, not only because it's easy to build but because it makes beautiful forms for the eye. I'm not so sure that the blob and morph era we are in now with be seen with kind eyes in 10-20 years. Many of these bold designs will probably be seen as quite vulgar. Architecture that tries so hard, twisting and turning.

When it comes to the Book Hill, I think the concept looks lovely but I would like to see more renderings of the facades and interiors. Why are there so few pictures? I'm not 100% sure that it's the best house from street level. What will it look like?
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #17
Svempa99

But I must say also that the yards between each of these slabs in Nopsce Te Ipsum gives the complex a certain character. It doesn't seem like a exciting solution with small yards like that. So I do agree a bit with you Chile! Especially when it comes to housing projects I'm fed up with all these slabs.

Last edited by Svempa99; February 10th, 2007 at 04:16 AM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #18
Chilenofuturista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svempa99 View Post
I must argue against you here... Boxy buildings are not necessarily commie blocks. Much of the coolest modern buildings of today are very boxy and repetitious but have a complete different finish and feel than the 60s era. Architecture have always been more or less boxy, not only because it's easy to build but because it makes beautiful forms for the eye. I'm not so sure that the blob and morph era we are in now with be seen with kind eyes in 10-20 years. Many of these bold designs will probably be seen as quite vulgar. Architecture that tries so hard, twisting and turning.

When it comes to the Book Hill, I think the concept looks lovely but I would like to see more renderings of the facades and interiors. Why are there so few pictures? I'm not 100% sure that it's the best house from street level. What will it look like?
Of course they're not, but it resembles very much of them and that is your appreciation regarding cool buildings concerning the boxy and repetitive. Yes, it's easy to build in that shape, but why do we stick so much onto it? At least here in Scandinavia. Modernism and minimalism, it's like m&m's, it gets quite tiring after a while and most of all it's terribly monotonous. More bold design for the eye in combination with new urbanism, please.
I personally don't think that at least the book hill proposal will be hated in 10-20 years since it blends so well into the landscape, sleekly becoming a geographical continuation. Why are there so few renders of the final proposals? We've only seen the exteriors. Usually you get renders of interiors and facades aswell as a way to further more try to convince the voter/viewer.
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #19
Chilenofuturista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svempa99 View Post
But I must say also that the yards between each of these slabs in Nopsce Te Ipsum gives the complex a certain character. It doesn't seem like a exciting solution with small yards like that. So I do agree a bit with you Chile! Especially when it comes to hosing projects I'm fed up with all these slabs.
Swedish snail,
Nosce Te Ipsum feels so grey, so 60's and 70's, brr...
I hear you, those slabs are so obnoxious and most of all- depressing.
From a feminist urban planner point of view, those enclosed yards are not good at all since they are perfect grounds for rapes. I thought that enclosed yards (and bad illumination and too many trees, btw. See: a typical suburb) belonged to the past, to our "million programme" - era.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #20
kall_man

Likes (Received): 0

Svenska Dagbladet's architectural columnist favors Ipsum Pipum wha'evah: http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/kultur/did_14590548.asp

while

Dagens Nyheter's architectural columnist refers to it as "astonishingly bad" (word!) and favors "Cut".
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1298&a=615745

I'm so with DN on this one. Although visually, Bookhill is witthout competition imho.