• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old June 9th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #1
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1983

#completed :PORTICO Apartments -15st/70m/res (CBD north)

FINALLY after nearly 30 years of DA submissions it looks like Sydney's Scots Presbyterian Church in York Street will be developed into a 15storey apartment block known as-PORTICO.
Trances alerted me to it tonight by sending me a pic he took today of hoarding being erected on site!

Its designed by great architects-Tonkin Zulaikha Greer .
ive probably done more than a dozen DA models of this site, some with church some without, but all had to follow the SUN ACCESS PLANE down into Wynyard Park.
Scots still will have a church included in the bottom level.The dilapidated stone facade will be restored to fit in to new design.
It will rise 70m above street.

heres a description -

Portico is the apartment component of the complete redevelopment of the historic Scots Church, which occupies the site bounded by Margaret, York and Jamison Streets and Margaret Lane. This exciting development offers a unique blend of modern architectural design in a heritage building incredibly well located on a major transport and shopping hub. There is a large choice of well designed quality units ranging in price from mid $300k to 2 million. Most of the apartments are well sized 1 bedroom plus study or 1 bedroom apartments. There are also a quantity of two and three bedroom apartments. Register now as there are still a number of excellent quality apartments in the $400k to $800k range.

1930 Gothic influenced facade

yet another apartment block for the CBD!!

Sponsored Links

Old June 9th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #2
CULWULLA

see pic below
Old June 9th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #3
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

Yes the scaffolding was going up today
Walked past this after noon on my way home
Here is another

Old June 9th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

LOL
I came here and posted my 1st photo that I had sent to CULWULLA as a pm. As it was not here. While I was doing that
CULWULLA was kind enough to post the one I sent him.
LOL So modifed my post to show new one I also took today . By thi stage CULWULLA then changed his post to say look below at the 1st image, which is no longer there as I had replaced it with the current one.
LOL
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #5
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

The tower looks different in those renderings to the ones I've seen like in the council report where it looked more orangey to my knowledge.

It's not a bad tower with the step ups and has made some attempt to blend in with the existing structure but it could of blended in better.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:44 AM   #6
CULWULLA

<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Trances </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>LOL
I came here and posted my 1st photo that I had sent to CULWULLA as a pm. As it was not here. While I was doing that
CULWULLA was kind enough to post the one I sent him.
LOL So modifed my post to show new one I also took today . By thi stage CULWULLA then changed his post to say look below at the 1st image, which is no longer there as I had replaced it with the current one.
LOL</td></tr>
</table>
lol. anyway heres the first pic you posted

Old June 10th, 2003, 03:28 AM   #7
finn

Likes (Received): 935

Yay! At last!

I've gotten quite sick of going past Scots and expecting something to be happening and just seeing the same dilapidated old building with the same "coming soon" sign out the front that's been there for the past couple of years! So at last we'll see some action!

Thanks for the confirmation pics Trances!
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #8
climbing_crane

Likes (Received):

That sign that said Sydney's most exciting new apartment complex was there for years. About time.
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #9
CULWULLA

pic of model. you can see the stepped effect due to over shadowing issues on Wynyard park

theres parks either side of it.

Old June 10th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #10
northern beaches

Likes (Received): 0

my understanding was they were originally offering these units not as freehold/strata title but on a 99 year lease?
northern beaches no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #11
finn

Likes (Received): 935

<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by northern beaches </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>my understanding was they were originally offering these units not as freehold/strata title but on a 99 year lease?</td></tr>
</table>

That could well be the case, because those prices are actually very reasonable, considering the location and just the basic fact that they are in Sydney!
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #12
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Culwulla, you said there has been D/A's for the site extending back thirty years. What have been some of the major proposals for the site?

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:39 AM   #13
CULWULLA

<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Fabian </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Culwulla, you said there has been D/A's for the site extending back thirty years. What have been some of the major proposals for the site?</td></tr>
</table>
basically the same! its always been a 15 storey building, some have been office proposals. they have all stepped down to Wynyard pk. this proposal is one of the better ones!
Old June 11th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #14
fro

Likes (Received): 1

Nice pics Trances and Cul. Cheers for that! I also have walked past this site on numerous occasions, wondering like others when we'd see some action.

And I thought the general consensus was that there was an over supply of units in Sydney and that the property market was in decline? Don't look like it at all!

BTW, it's a bastard of a site isn't it? Parks on BOTH sides! At least they're keeping the old cathedral. About time we preserved some of our older buildings.
fro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #15
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

I love the current Building and its once location I would love to live. Have to see how it turns out.
Old June 28th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #16
Muse
Supernature

Walked around the Portico Apartment site yesterday i.e. 28th June @ around 1.30PM amid the bare plywood looking hoardings which are now set up around the site without renederings as yet.

Hopefully to take pic/s as soon as possible possums
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:10 PM   #17
CULWULLA

heres a shot i took back in 1990 from roof of York Apartments peering down on the Scots Church. i joined 2 photos together sorry bout quality.
love the lightwells.gothic elements

Old August 16th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #18
climbing_crane

Likes (Received):

On the bus on the way out of the city today I saw them assembling the crane. I'm spewing because I missed out on shots of the construction of a crane. I was going to come back into the city but on my bus the first drop off was at Mosman. Oh well.....
Old August 16th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #19
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

I got the photos today of the crane going up took quite few photos. I will put them up tomorrow
Old August 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #20
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

I mean I was there. Watched the crane for like 30 mins while I was walking back from the novetel. Looks great so how close t that to the final hight ?
Feels like it is boxing in wynard park