daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2161
goxic

Likes (Received): 18

EuroTest - Restareas - Austria and Croatia on top

Once back from a trip, there is usually plenty to talk about. This was also the case with ADAC's experts who travelled back and forth across Europe. Not only did they experience rest and relaxation in beautiful country settings, they also came across dirty, neglected asphalt deserts without any kind of facilities whatsoever. Negative examples were primarily found in the Czech Republic, Spain and Slovakia where there were either no toilets provided or where the toilets provided were badly damaged and dirty. Emergency phones or video surveillance were nowhere to be seen. The motorway rest areas in the Czech Republic were pitch dark at night. The rest areas in Spain were often nothing more than desolate car parks. Toilets were found in Zabaldika only, and on the rare occasion when picnic tables were provided, these were few and far between. The benches provided everywhere were sometimes located very close to the road. The rest areas in Slovenia, Holland and Belgium were only slightly better. The toilets were the focus of criticism in Slovenia where hygiene was extremely lacking and toilets were poorly maintained. To top it off, there was nowhere for users to wash their hands. Holland and Belgium were found to be fairly similar. The inspectors were pleased to find well-kept and clean grass/planted areas, but were disappointed by the lack of toilets and this was the reason for the low ratings achieved by these two countries.

Italy, Germany, Norway and Denmark were the countries that presented a very mixed picture. Italy is once again home to the last-place facility, i.e. Castagnolasca at Deiva Marina, between Livorno - Genoa. On the other hand, Val di Sona near Peschiera to the south of Lake Garda is an Italian facility that was given a rating of Very good. Whilst inspectors found very well-kept facilities with picnic tables and children's playgrounds located in wonderful settings, they also came across motorway rest areas that should be avoided.

With 20 facilities, Germany is the country with the most rest areas in this test - and surprisingly ranks low in the mid-field ratings. The outdoor facilities here were usually well-kept and there were enough picnic tables provided. However, every second toilet was found to be dirty. And in the same number of cases, the toilets for the disabled did not live up to their name because they failed to meet the needs of people with disabilities. There were also considerable shortcomings with regard to subjective safety: Only the Dätgen site was well-lit at night, Binshof and Sperbes were just about acceptable, but then all lights literally go out. That meant that the few emergency phones provided were also impossible to find in the dark.

Norway received top marks for its facilities for the disabled and its sanitary installations. However, cleanliness was not up to scratch. With the exception of Lillehammer, all the motorway rest areas were more or less poorly lit. Ratings aside, our inspectors were completely captivated: "In terms of setting, Norway had the most beautiful motorway rest areas in the test," they noted. "Where else is it possible to have a picnic at the beginning of May overlooking a semi-frozen lake but with air temperatures of 24 degrees?" It is also possible to picnic in Denmark and, although the view may not be quite so spectacular, there were also sufficient picnic tables provided in well-kept, clean green areas. The toilets, however, were not always clean and, just like in Germany, Denmark's motorway maintenance units have to contend with graffiti and vandalism. But Denmark's motorway rest areas also failed to provide emergency phones and video surveillance.

Now to the countries which our inspectors found to offer good or very good relaxation: France, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Hungary, and finally the tiny country of Croatia as the best in its class. The advantage of the French motorway rest areas was the spacious outdoor facilities which they provided with plenty of grass/planted areas as well as fitness and playing equipment. One remarkable (because rare) feature was that all the facilities provided emergency phones. Unfortunately, the toilets were not always clean and this lowered the rating for some of the facilities inspected. Austria is home to this year's winner, Gaishorn, and to second-place Lanschütz. These are model facilities, a fact that should be taken literally: Asfinag, the operator of Austria's motorway and national road network, plans to refurbish around 300 old facilities by the year 2015. The benefits of such a measure were made more than clear by the ratings. The five motorway rest areas already refurbished all received ratings of Very good in this test. The other five "old" facilities were no longer able to keep pace here.

The picture found in Switzerland was largely positive. The Swiss sites merely need to improve their facilities for the disabled. This was quite a different matter in Sweden where the motorway rest areas were found to have the best facilities for the disabled of all the countries inspected. But that's not all, Sweden's sites were also found to have the best sanitary facilities. On top of that, they even offered toilet-waste disposal and water supply facilities for camper vans - a rare feature. The experts found next-to-no shortcomings at Hungary's motorway rest areas. The facilities offered were impressive in almost all respects and were only surpassed by the good facilities found in Croatia. This small country at the Adriatic Sea must be complimented for the high standard found at the facilities inspected. This is an indication that suitable infrastructure measures are being implemented in response to the growth in tourism in this country.

SOURCE: EuroTest

goxic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2162
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

That's quite a limited test though. There are thousands of rest areas in Europe, and they only test like 60 of them.

Toll road rest areas always tend to be better. It also matters if you test some small rest area without services or staff, or some bigass services plaza.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2163
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yesterday I saw on the news that Dutch rest areas without a gas station are often quite bad (no toilets - dirty toilets; unsafe; not well maintained; etc.). I agree, the rest areas that I've seen in other countries tend to be much better.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A3-A2 Bregana (SLO/HR) - Zagreb - Macelj (HR/SLO)

Click on the title to view the full set

A drive through Croatia, from the Bergana border crossing west of Zagreb, via Zagreb north past Krapina to the Macelj border crossing.

route:
[IMG]http://i27.************/a31cur.png[/IMG]

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 21st, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2165
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

i agree with Chris, this comparison of rest areas is absolutely not giving the real picture. i wonder why didn't have test rest areas at A3 which are horrible. and they are again spitting on Italy, while i find their rest areas very good.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM   #2166
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Nice pics
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM   #2167
x-type
con los terroristas

btw, i can see some old signs there between Bregana and Zagreb (pics 2 and 5). and i've been also always wondering why that section of A3 has so weird font, different from other signs in HR
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2168
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What a stupid survey. They go to the Slovenian rest areas Zima and Studenec, which aren't even meant to be good in the first place. They can be happy they found a toilet at all, because there are plenty of good rest areas in Slovenia anyway, particularly toilets are normal, with plenty of soap.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #2169
x-type
con los terroristas

of course it is stupid! i don't know haow could they like so much Lički Osik while it even doesn't have a shop, bar nor gas station :
btw, where are those 2 slovenian which were tested?
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM   #2170
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Zima is between Celje and Maribor, and already a sign tells you it doesn't even have water, so just keep driving, if you want it. Studenec is between Postojna and interchange A1×H4, and it's the same. Though, now that I think of it, I think every rest area should have at least toilet and (drinking) water (with soap), everyone needs that.

Great pics, Chris. Didn't some forumers say there are now also signs for Austria (A) on A2? I don't see any.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM   #2171
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's Bregana, not Bergana
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Video: A2 Zagreb - Macelj

A drive from Zagreb to past Krapina.

Watch in HD on Youtube or below:

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:03 PM   #2173
x-type
con los terroristas

actually, the section from Zaprešić to Zabok is older than 1997, i remember traveling on it in 1994 or 1995, it was brand new. it was extended to Sv. Križ Začretje in 1997. nice video!

Last edited by x-type; August 23rd, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2174
Sponsor

Interesting solution in 0.51 s - new smooth surface on 2 lanes and crappy old one on emergency lane.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2175
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

That older section probably needs repavement.

I remember this section being constructed already in 1989.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM   #2176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
actually, the section from Zaprešić to Zabok is older than 1997, i remember traveling on it in 1994 or 1995, it was brand new. it was extended to Sv. Križ Začretje in 1997. nice video!
Quote:
Then wikipedia is wrong. I checked the German and English wikis for dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
That older section probably needs repavement.
It had a lot of patches, but it wasn't very bumpy. Why is there a huge mall in the middle of nowhere near Sveti Križ Začretje?
Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #2177
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post

i'm not sure. in that period probably 2way expressway from knot Jankomir to Zaprešić was built (upgraded into motorway some 5 years ago)
Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM   #2178
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

It had a lot of patches, but it wasn't very bumpy. Why is there a huge mall in the middle of nowhere near Sveti Križ Začretje?
A2 is not bumpy, but has those line pitch (is it said so in english? catran?) patches till Začretje.
they have started to repave some sections this year (for instance around Zabok)

mall - that should be an outlet at Zagreb perifery, but they've gone little bit too far imo. it should be an competition to outlet mall near Sveta Helena (at A4, eastern suburbia of Zagreb). but they are building some huge thing near toll station Zaprešić (entrance to A2) so i guess it will kill this one in Začretje. but it is cute (designed in style of fairy tale) so maybe that could do well for it.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM   #2179
x-type
con los terroristas

edit: keber is probably right because HR wiki says that Zaprešić - Zabok was opened in 1991, and i have found that expressway Jankomir - Zaprešić was opened in 1980
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #2180
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

nope. your name is Ovidiu Georgescu...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote