daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM   #281
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Oh,and I more questions:

Are there any places where the transit lines(road,highway,rail,doesnt matter)run DIRETCLY on the shore?
you mean (rail)road passing just next to the sea? yes, there are such places along D8 (Adriatic highway, the road connecting Rijeka and Dubrovnik), you can find even places where road runs 0-5 meters far from sea, but mostly there is there is a belt up to 100 m between sea and the road. and road often runs above sea level, at the hill.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM   #282
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
And I was right! you were using slaves!(cheap workforce is cheating! )
actually, it looks more like voluntary slavery
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:44 PM   #283
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
you mean (rail)road passing just next to the sea? yes, there are such places along D8 (Adriatic highway, the road connecting Rijeka and Dubrovnik), you can find even places where road runs 0-5 meters far from sea, but mostly there is there is a belt up to 100 m between sea and the road. and road often runs above sea level, at the hill.
Rijeka is the city that was called back then al long-long time ago "Fiume"?
Because I've heard that many old ships can be found there with hungarian names.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #284
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Rijeka and Fiume means "river".
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #285
x-type
con los terroristas

yes, as Chris said, Rijeka means river (fólyo). in history it was often under italian teritory, so it is known as Fiume, too. and hungarian names of ships - Rijeka was the main port of Austro-Ugarian Monarchy. and today it is one of main foreign ports for Hungary
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #286
RawLee

Quote:
yes, as Chris said, Rijeka means river (fólyo). in history it was often under italian teritory, so it is known as Fiume, too. and hungarian names of ships - Rijeka was the main port of Austro-Ugarian Monarchy. and today it is one of main foreign ports for Hungary
Thank you for your answer! Does the city held its importance in sea transportation? Still main port?wow I didnt know we still use it(if I can use this phrase). To be honest,I thought rail took over its role for us, since our main partners are german-speaking countries.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM   #287
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Thank you for your answer! Does the city held its importance in sea transportation? Still main port?wow I didnt know we still use it(if I can use this phrase). To be honest,I thought rail took over its role for us, since our main partners are german-speaking countries.
yes, Rijeka is fighting with Koper (SLO) and Trieste (ITA) for leadership. if you have abilities, go to main railroad from Budapest to Nagykanizsa od Kaposvar - 90% of freight trains that you see there go to Rijeka and Koper. i live quite near that railroad and i can tell you that it is allways full of very long freight trains, especially at night.
you forgot that sea traffic is the cheapest and the best for cargo stuff. rail is good for continental transportation, but intercontinental - mostly by ships!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #288
RawLee

Quote:
yes, Rijeka is fighting with Koper (SLO) and Trieste (ITA) for leadership. if you have abilities, go to main railroad from Budapest to Nagykanizsa od Kaposvar - 90% of freight trains that you see there go to Rijeka and Koper. i live quite near that railroad and i can tell you that it is allways full of very long freight trains, especially at night.
you forgot that sea traffic is the cheapest and the best for cargo stuff. rail is good for continental transportation, but intercontinental - mostly by ships!
So basically, you guys milk us We go there in summers,we use your railroads,and your harbour...that sure brings a lot of money in
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:46 PM   #289
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
So basically, you guys milk us We go there in summers,we use your railroads,and your harbour...that sure brings a lot of money in
welllllll - yes! i mean, we can not allow you to use them but then both countries would go down!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:19 PM   #290
RawLee

Quote:
welllllll - yes! i mean, we can not allow you to use them but then both countries would go down!
We have a similar case at Záhony, border with Ukraine. You surely know that the russians(thus belorussians and ukrainans) use wide-gauge railroads,while the normal is used in Europe. We fail to upgrade the region,so much of the traffic that would be flowing through there are heading for Romania and Slovakia,Poland. This is good,because the traffic is lesser,but it brings in much less money. The "átrakó"(its a place where the cargo changes train) is very outdated.
BTW,I'm very-very angry at our gov,because I had to be informed in YOUR railroad topic that BP-Zagreb route is upgraded!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #291
x-type
con los terroristas

yes, it is being upgraded. slowly, but it's going.
and remember: freight railway bring the most money in all traffic!!!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:03 PM   #292
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Freight via rail is only efficient in large bulks. Truck traffic is way more efficient, as long as distance are not larger than 2000km.

However, once i spotted Mongolian truckers near Venlo (NL). That's a damn long way from home.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:11 PM   #293
RawLee

Then which one the Croatian government promote? use of highways or use of railroad? Do they encourage Ro-Ro? Because when Rijeka gets mayor boost from growing central-european industry's freight shipping, then the highways will become bad in no time, unless railroad is promoted...
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM   #294
x-type
con los terroristas

our government decided first to make motorways and after it railways. unfortunately, railway has felt in deep crisis in mid-time
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM   #295
ChrisZwolle
Road user

railways always go way over budget...
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM   #296
RawLee

Quote:
our government decided first to make motorways and after it railways. unfortunately, railway has felt in deep crisis in mid-time
No-no-no-no-no...I meant generally. which one that (in your opinion) should be used by freigth transporters?
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #297
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Who builds motorways in Croatia, government or private enterprises???? or maybe both together as joint venture???
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #298
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
No-no-no-no-no...I meant generally. which one that (in your opinion) should be used by freigth transporters?
trains definitely. more ecological, faster, larger capacity. Ro-La is a thing that i like very much, but here in Croatia it is not living because Croatian Railways have disaster and brainless people instead of marketing sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorlan View Post
Who builds motorways in Croatia, government or private enterprises???? or maybe both together as joint venture???
4 Joint Stock Companies are holding it: A1/A6 Zagreb - Rijeka is under concession of ARZ
A1 (Bosiljevo - Šestanovac), A3, A4, A5, A7, A11 are under HAC (Croatian Motorways) - for them i know that Republic of Croatia holds majority of stocks
A2 is under AZM
B8 and B9 are under BINA Istra

i don't know ownership structure in those JSCs, i'll try to find it. i only know that majority in HAC has a country.
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #299
x-type
con los terroristas

ok, i have found out some facts:

HAC is not JSC, but Ltd. 100% in ownership od Repubilc of Croatia
ARZ is also in ownership od Republic.
AZM is in ownership of Republic of Croatia and Pyhrn Concession Holding GmbH
BINA Istra has very complicated ownership structure. let's say that owners are Bouygues (16%), INA (Croatian national oil industry - 67%), HAC (14,78%) and Istarska Autocesta (2,22%)
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #300
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Wait, so what's the point in ARZ if it's completely owned by the state just like HAC?
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote