daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #3601
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
I think that's debatable, I think speed limits I've seen in Croatia are quite sensible compared to some other countries. How about enforcement - are those speed limits really enforced by the police? I've never seen anyone being pulled over on motorways in Croatia, and that's not that uncommon in other countries nowadays.
uhm, they do that a lot, mostly in civil cars. but if your doing up to 150, they will not touch you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post

Hm, you haven't seen most of Croatia. 40 km/h speed limits on 80 km/h curves, towns and villages beginning even a kilometer from the first house, 60 km/h speed limits, that take many kilometers, and all that on all types of roads except motorways, that is very annoying.
exactly. main problems:
1) state roads. it is so easy to put sign 40, 50 or 60 before the curve or some special point, and in the case of accident to easily blaim driver for exceeding the limit. or signing the village where it actually isn't (unless fields and meadows are village), and to lower limits i that way.
2) motorways. it is so easy to put general speed limit 110 no curvy section, and who cares for those straight sections inside that limit, where could easily be put 120 or 130.
2b) motorways on toll station approaches. the hell with 50 km/h sign 500 metres before toll booths!! and lowering starts 1 km before booths (100 at 1000 m, 80 at 800 m, 60 at 600 m, 50 at 400 m). i have made a test - if you are doing 70-80 only 200 metres before toll booths, you can easily stop without hard braking.

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #3602
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I forgot also 80 or 60 km/h motorway speed limit when moderate wind (not strong) that does not influence driving car noticeably. Last time when I was going from Dalmatia, there was light bura from Zadar until Split and there was everywhere 80 km/h speed limit which no one held (except few Germans), because there was no need for any additional speed limit.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3603
x-type
con los terroristas

actually i haven't seen 60 and 80 that much, but 100 yes. when they put 80 or 60, then usually something is really going on. maybe it remained from previously strong wind.
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #3604
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Yeah, this year I've seen 60km/h twice on A1, both times it was really appropriate. Once it was near Sveti Rok tunnel and the wind was really rather extreme there, I've seen a camper laying on its side, 60km/h was really max of what I felt was safe for me in a sedan and it must have been rather scary for the truck drivers. The second time there was a little traffic jam hidden behind a bend (caused by a horrible accident, car smashed into rocks, not much left of it), if it wasn't for those 60km/h warning signs there would surely be a serious pile up.
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #3605
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Just returned from Pula; the motorway was totally empty. But why is the speed limit only 110 km/h even on the eastern (new) half with a hard shoulder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
I asked the same question when this motorway was opened. They didn't give me satisfying answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
existing road is constructed for speeds up to 110. due to stupid Croatian habbits, 110 remained (probably because of radius of curves). you know that HR has probably the most stupid limits in Europe (beside these Scandinavian nonsenses like 90 on the motorway)
I gave you answer and I'll get it once more

The limit is 110 because A8 and A9 were first planned to be dual-carriageway expressways, which means they have 2 lanes of 3,5m on each carriageway, while motorways have 2x3,75m. Also, expressways are more curvy. The state decided only a couple of years ago to convert those 2 roads into motorways by adding a hard shoulder while building a second carriageway, so you can see that there's no hard shoulder under the overpasses (because they weren't intended to have motorway under it). Because of croatian regulations, if the lanes are 3,5m wide, and with that curves the speed limit cannot be higher than 110 km/h!!! Although, some sort of technical test will be made on A9 to put 130 km/h limit, because it's not so curvy and has really straight sections

And what about this?? (picture taken on A6 at Oštrovica, towards Rijeka on 14th of October):
Puležan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3606
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
I gave you answer and I'll get it once more

The limit is 110 because A8 and A9 were first planned to be dual-carriageway expressways, which means they have 2 lanes of 3,5m on each carriageway, while motorways have 2x3,75m. Also, expressways are more curvy. The state decided only a couple of years ago to convert those 2 roads into motorways by adding a hard shoulder while building a second carriageway, so you can see that there's no hard shoulder under the overpasses (because they weren't intended to have motorway under it). Because of croatian regulations, if the lanes are 3,5m wide, and with that curves the speed limit cannot be higher than 110 km/h!!! Although, some sort of technical test will be made on A9 to put 130 km/h limit, because it's not so curvy and has really straight sections
oh come on, 3,50 is enough for safe traffic at 130.
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3607
Puležan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
oh come on, 3,50 is enough for safe traffic at 130.
Of course it's safe, especially with hard shoulders. I never said opposite. I'm just explaining the situation with the law end limits

Once I had driven 150 on section Kanfanar-Pula (when my car was new), and it was nice, I felt safe...

To be honest, there could be 150 km/h limit on A1 and A3; both motorways are long, with very slight curves, between exits there are bigger distances (more than 10km, in Lika and Slavonija 15-20km) and also other technical characteristics are able to provide safeness when driving on that speed
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #3608
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

I'm an architect, not a civil engineer. However, I'm sure that lane wide of 3.50 m is enough safe for speed limit of 130 km/h.

And about Matulji traffic light: this insanity was made in 1991, a few months after opening the last part of Rijeka bypass in direction Jušići. At first there was no interchange at all (contractor was blocked former access road to Matulji with New Jerseys), but Opatija City Council somehow convinced Ministry of Building to "temporarily" open this interchange for them. Because Ministry didn't have the money to build a real trompete, they simply mounted traffic lights to this newly-formed T-crossing.
The shame is that the same Ministry didn't force BINA-Istra to build this trompete, after they gave the tunnel management to them in 1997.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #3609
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

3.50 meters is a standard lane width in some countries.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #3610
darko06

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Hm, you haven't seen most of Croatia. 40 km/h speed limits on 80 km/h curves, towns and villages beginning even a kilometer from the first house, 60 km/h speed limits, that take many kilometers, and all that on all types of roads except motorways, that is very annoying.
That's the reason why I always prefer motorways and expressways.
Now, between Višnjan and Zagreb there is only about 15 km of undivided highway. (And not to be too naugty to say, that these 15 km of undivided highway are equipped with slow-traffic lanes on their steep parts.)
For a comparison, between Baderna and Zagreb after the opening of Kanfanar-Pazin motorway, there will be still more than 50 km of undivided highway, which is marked as an expressway by a mistake. (And we all know that the steep parts of that "expressway" don't posess any slow traffic lanes at all, oops, except that last kilometer before the tunnel in Pazin direction.)

Last edited by darko06; October 25th, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #3611
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Now, between Višnjan and Zagreb there is only about 15 km of undivided highway. (And not to be too naugty to say, that these 15 km of undivided highway are equipped with slow-traffic lanes on their steep parts.)
For a comparison, between Baderna and Zagreb after the opening of Kanfanar-Pazin motorway, there will be still more than 50 km of undivided highway, which is marked as an expressway by a mistake. (And we all know that the steep parts of that "expressway" don't posess any slow traffic lanes at all, oops, except that last kilometer before the tunnel in Pazin direction.)
Višnjan and Baderna are quite close to each other, so I don't know where you found that difference between them.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #3612
darko06

Distance between Zagreb and Poreč via Koper (and Višnjan exit) is about 40 km longer than distance between Zagreb and Poreč via Rijeka and Kanfanar (and Baderna exit).
I think that 15 km undivided highway with slow-traffic lanes do make longer route more attractive than the short one with 50 km undivided "expressway" without slow-traffic lanes.
I don't drive on common road between Pazin and Baderna.
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #3613
Puležan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
3.50 meters is a standard lane width in some countries.
It is, but in that case the speed limit is never 130. Look at your country

Croatian rules say that motorways must have lanes of 3,5 or 3,75m, but then the speed limits are not the same. Pitty, because in my opinion (and other's, including engineers) 3,5m wide lanes are enough for safe driving at 130 km/h

But, as I said yesterday, they have put a request for another technical test to see the technical possibility for 130 km/h (this kind of formality is needed) because today it's the only example of "baby-motorway" in Croatia (with 3,5m lanes) Another example will be A12 (section Sv.Helena-Vrbovec) which is also a dual carriageway expressway, but it will get hard shoulders some day...
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #3614
Puležan

Quote:
Distance between Zagreb and Poreč via Koper (and Višnjan exit) is about 40 km longer than distance between Zagreb and Poreč via Rijeka and Kanfanar (and Baderna exit).
I think that 15 km undivided highway with slow-traffic lanes do make longer route more attractive than the short one with 50 km undivided "expressway" without slow-traffic lanes.
I don't drive on common road between Pazin and Baderna.
But when driving through Slovenia, you need a vignette, which many people don't have because they don't need it. Also, you'll need to pay 13 kn for Višnjan-Umag section of A9.

In other case, when coming from Poreč to Pazin, you go on D302 and D48, and then take the A8. From Pazin to Učka there's no toll (the road is still better than usual normal roads which go through towns), so you pay only 28kn for Učka and 60kn for Rijeka-Zagreb motorway - total 88kn!
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3615
x-type
con los terroristas

here is the map of 24,5 km long section of A4 between Breznički Hum and Varaždin, which has general speed limit 110 km/h.
in red I have signed sections where 110 km/h is reasonable, and in green I have signed sections where could be without any problems be installed 130 km/h limit.

Old October 25th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #3616
darko06

Quote:
But when driving through Slovenia, you need a vignette, which many people don't have because they don't need it. Also, you'll need to pay 13 kn for Višnjan-Umag section of A9.

In other case, when coming from Poreč to Pazin, you go on D302 and D48, and then take the A8. From Pazin to Učka there's no toll (the road is still better than usual normal roads which go through towns), so you pay only 28kn for Učka and 60kn for Rijeka-Zagreb motorway - total 88kn!
I'm supposed to go to Austria 5-6 times a year, so I'm regularly buying yearly Slovenian and Austrian vignettes.

A yearly Slovenian vignette costs 95 eur, what is about 710 kn.

I'm also supposed to go from Zagreb to Poreč several times a year.

Toll expenses for one trip from Zagreb to Poreč through tunnel Učka are 88x2=176 kn. (When recalculating A9 toll, real expenses are 176-26=150 kn. Okay, I'm frequently travelling to Dalmatia for business purposes, so I also posess EASYPASS for the ARZ and HAC, which gives me opportunity to pay A3 toll without stop.)
So for a sixth time I'm travelling toll-free through Slovenia.

EDIT: And believe me, I don't like to drive from Baderna to Pazin on the old road. It's curvy, and full of trucks, or worse, agricultural vehicles in spring or autumn.

Every time when I was travelling through Slovenia, I saw a car or two with PU(la) register plates.

Last edited by darko06; October 25th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #3617
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
It is, but in that case the speed limit is never 130. Look at your country
Germany (you know the speed limit ...):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richtli...von_Autobahnen
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #3618
Puležan

Motorway from Kanfanar to Pazin opened today

http://www.glasistre.hr/istra/vijest/344146

Today morning, the 18km long section of A8 was opened to traffic. It's the section from Kanfanar junction (A8/A9) to Rogovići exit (Pazin west). These are the first full-profile kilometres of A8 Now, there's total 98km of full-profile motorways in Istra, from Kaštel border crossing to Pula (A9), and from Kanfanar to Pazin (A8). The rest of the road, from Pazin to Rijeka bypass/A7 (via tunnel Učka) is still a half profile road.

The toll for this 18km section is 8kn. Here you can calculate toll for all sections of A8 and A9 (just click to the entering toll station, and then the exit): http://www.bina-istra.com/Default.aspx?sid=2039

Old October 29th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #3619
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Congrats! I must admit I've never driven on A8; I really have to try it one day!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #3620
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11809

are there any works going on currently on A5 towards H border?
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote