daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #4641
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Regardless where are you from, they still ask you about the volume of some goods and it still takes some time together with showing ID.
I noticed that in Croatia a couple of months ago, Customs control was all but non-existent on the SLO border anyway. I crossed the border repeatedly one day (and got many, many stamps) - and was only questioned on the BiH border.

Does anyone here know for certain how the new joint checkpoints are now arranged? From what I've read - I'm assuming that both Croatian and Slovenian officers are working together on entry and exit - but is this the case, or have exit controls been abandoned?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:49 AM   #4642
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I noticed that in Croatia a couple of months ago, Customs control was all but non-existent on the SLO border anyway. I crossed the border repeatedly one day (and got many, many stamps) - and was only questioned on the BiH border.

Does anyone here know for certain how the new joint checkpoints are now arranged? From what I've read - I'm assuming that both Croatian and Slovenian officers are working together on entry and exit - but is this the case, or have exit controls been abandoned?
here:
http://www.mup.hr/UserDocsImages/top...c/OSC_2013.pdf

unfortunately, only in Croatian.

note the brackets: (SLO) means joined control in Slovenian booths. (HR) means joined control in Croatian booths. (MJEŠOVITO) means controls in both booths (probably one for exit, the other for entrance)

i don't know for Hungary, but one is certain: at Goričan they have already been joined in the same booths.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:19 AM   #4643
oakwood....

Likes (Received): 5004

Entrance to Zagreb from the south

by me

hofburg liked this post
oakwood.... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:29 AM   #4644
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
here:

note the brackets: (SLO) means joined control in Slovenian booths. (HR) means joined control in Croatian booths. (MJEŠOVITO) means controls in both booths (probably one for exit, the other for entrance)

i don't know for Hungary, but one is certain: at Goričan they have already been joined in the same booths.
I wonder why the joined control will be in 33 out of 35 cases on slovenian side. croatian officers gaining aditional land?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:35 AM   #4645
Eulanthe

Quote:
here:

Many many thanks - this will help plan my next holiday!

I'm surprised that exit checks haven't been abandoned, but I guess in practice, exit controls for EU citizens will be light to non-existent on checkpoints with separate booths.

Now we only have to hope that they will work to open up many crossings that are blocked needlessly.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:35 PM   #4646
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I wonder why the joined control will be in 33 out of 35 cases on slovenian side. croatian officers gaining aditional land?
Most border crossing buildings on Slovenian side are built up to Schengen standards, I believe this is the part of the reason.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4647
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Regardless where are you from, they still ask you about the volume of some goods and it still takes some time together with showing ID.
That's not the normal procedure. There are no regular custom controls any more, so no questions about such things.

There can be spot tests and random police checks some kilometers behind the border, but custom controls at the border are now non-existant. So a lot of spare Slovenian custom officers now
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #4648
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

It's Croatia's fault for higher unemployment in Slovenia.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4649
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Most border crossing buildings on Slovenian side are built up to Schengen standards, I believe this is the part of the reason.
I think the regulation requiring Schengen border crossings to be located on Schengen territory also comes into play - they may get away with one or two crossings being on HR territory for logistical reasons, but there could be questions if many crossings were on the HR side.

But as you say, the Slovenian crossings are already built to Schengen standards in most cases - which probably means that they are already equipped with all the facilities needed for detailed control.

Still haven't found out whether the "local" border crossings are now for all EU citizens or not..
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM   #4650
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
well, after 1990. most of our b/c buildings looked better than yours but in the mid-time you have built new buildings so now most of yours look better and are more modern

btw, i think there are no exit controls. you will stop only once at the border crossing, wheter entering or exiting. i remember it was the same at SLO-a or SLO-I borders.
if i will ahve some free time this weekend, i will go to check it out how it works at nearby border crossing with Hungary
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM   #4651
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Still haven't found out whether the "local" border crossings are now for all EU citizens or not..
I doubt.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4652
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

That's an interesting road, right near the border
http://goo.gl/maps/JF3TH

There don't seem to be many border crossings in the area with Hungary, how come?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4653
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
That's an interesting road, right near the border
http://goo.gl/maps/JF3TH

There don't seem to be many border crossings in the area with Hungary, how come?
yeah, for some reason the road follows the border line for some 2-3 km. the curves are really annoying there.
there are no locl border crossings because the area isn't inhabited densly
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4654
Eulanthe

Quote:
well, after 1990. most of our b/c buildings looked better than yours but in the mid-time you have built new buildings so now most of yours look better and are more modern
I guess part of this was that Croatia had no real need to improve them - Slovenia needed to in order to meet Schengen standards, but Croatia didn't need to bother as they would either be adequate for intra-EU control or adequate for Croatian use. Still - the infrastructure is still quite poor at some Slovenian crossings, such as the one at Slovenska Vas.

Quote:
btw, i think there are no exit controls. you will stop only once at the border crossing, wheter entering or exiting. i remember it was the same at SLO-a or SLO-I borders.
if i will ahve some free time this weekend, i will go to check it out how it works at nearby border crossing with Hungary
This is the biggest mystery right now - everything I've found suggests that there is "joint control" rather than one side of the controls being abandoned. Certainly on the PL/D border - exit controls weren't abandoned, although it was a similar 'one stop' after EU entry. Maybe they've gone for the same approach - where SLO/HR officers are working side by side out of the booths rather than being closed up inside?

There's no mention of exit controls being formally abandoned - although if I'm right, on the H/RO border, there are still exit controls in theory - it's just that the 'exit' country rarely bothers to police them.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4655
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Still - the infrastructure is still quite poor at some Slovenian crossings, such as the one at Slovenska Vas.
It's a minor, interstate border crossing.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4656
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's a minor, interstate border crossing.
I wouldn't call it so minor - I've seen queues there on a few occasions that were backed up a considerable distance into Croatia, with a considerable amount of local SLO plates waiting to cross there. I had a particularly annoying experience last time when trying to get through Bregana - I didn't have a local map and wanted to pass through the village, but the queue was backed up so far that it wasn't possible to bypass the queue at all.

By the way - confirmation that dual entry and exit controls are in operation -

http://news.yahoo.com/trucks-pile-bo...151146701.html

Looks like it's exactly as I suspected - Croatian officers have taken over the abandoned Slovenian Customs booths. That explains why not all crossings have been converted to the "One Stop Control". It's a shame that they haven't implemented true "one stop" - there's no reason why Slovenian and Croatian officers can't work side by side.

Wonder if Croatia will now demolish their old facilities, or if they will be retained until Schengen?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4657
Verso
Islander

Quote:
I wouldn't call it so minor
You're right, it's rather busy, but it's only for citizens of EU, EEA, and CH.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:12 PM   #4658
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
yeah, for some reason the road follows the border line for some 2-3 km. the curves are really annoying there.
there are no locl border crossings because the area isn't inhabited densly
I'm guessing the are is on continuous surveillance.
I traveled on a similar road between Austria and Hungary, but since it's Schengen, there is no problem crossing.

I also saw that there is a train line that follows the border for a while.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4659
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Congratulations to enter the EU!!, now it's time to enter Euro (or not ) and of course in Schengen. Is previsted some date to enter Croatian in Schengen?

I think tourism can boom in the next years with the entrance of Croatia in the EU. Perhaps the worst matter in Croatia is the unemployment, but come to Spain and see what we have here. 27% and growing And the most corrupt government of the history. Spaniards are very intelligents.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:33 PM   #4660
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I'm guessing the are is on continuous surveillance.
I traveled on a similar road between Austria and Hungary, but since it's Schengen, there is no problem crossing.

I also saw that there is a train line that follows the border for a while.
i have never seen officers sneaking around there, i doubt there is some surveillance. that border crossing Gola - Berzence is quite poorly equiped, ascetic.