daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #4741
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
how is the junction with D8? is it grade separated?
Yes it is. Check here
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4742
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

thanks. I see it's exactly in place of this former crossroad https://maps.google.si/?ll=43.34865,...,40.84,,0,3.56
must look pretty cool below those rocks.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4743
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Considering construction machines in first picture I presume picture is not taken from finished road.

Interesting that there are four lanes from tunnel to D8 - something that Split still doesn't have.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #4744
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

Original post is from June 25th, so pictures must be older than that...
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4745
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

17 june 2013

zezi, Puležan, KHS, hofburg liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #4746
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #4747
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't know why they still mention the old regime with border pass and then at the end add that you don't need it any more. It looks confusing. I get it that you still need a border pass, but that you can now get it at the border? And you can only stay in the local area, so you can't go to Ljubljana or Split.
That's exactly how I understand it - those with local border passes can still use them as before, including the possibility of crossing the border at any point. The difference is that the 'local border crossings' are now opened up for citizens of the EU/EEA/CH - subject to the restrictions defined in the local border traffic agreement.

It seems absolutely bizarre that they didn't simply agree to change those crossings to intrastate crossings - but it could be that they don't want to encourage traffic at those points.

The real question is how they will enforce these passes - it seems pretty pointless to hand out a pass to an EU citizen that can go anywhere anyway.

The only other logical explanation is that it means is that EU/EEA/CH citizens can now use those crossings freely, while those who don't require a visa to enter the other state can use them too, only subject to staying in the local area. Someone needs to investigate

Quote:
How many international road border crossings are there between Romania and Hungary? I have a map of Hungary from 1994 and there were just 4 intl. road BCs on the entire RO-H border. At the same time there were already 20 intl. road BCs between Croatia and Slovenia, so the border has been quite open even after independence.
Was the Croatian/Slovenian border well guarded at any point post-independence? I've got several books that suggest that it was only when Slovenia was preparing to join the EU that they started to take the border seriously.

(for what it's worth - I spent some time exploring the border and was never questioned once, despite probably making a few accidental crossings...)
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #4748
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

At border crossings it was quite well guarded, but elsewhere I'm not sure. There used to be quite many illegal immigrants in Slovenia in early 2000s (I was using a bus that drove by the asylum centre and there were always some black guys on it).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4749
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

And what about guarded border crossings with Serbia. Had they existed even before Yugoslavia broke up?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #4750
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
I was using a bus that drove by the asylum centre and there were always some black guys on it.
Why were they on the bus?
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #4751
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
And what about guarded border crossings with Serbia. Had they existed even before Yugoslavia broke up?
Obviously not, since it was the same country until 1991.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #4752
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Obviously not, since it was the same country until 1991.
I'm just curious, because during Serbia-Montenegro, guarded border crossing existed.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #4753
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
At border crossings it was quite well guarded, but elsewhere I'm not sure.
I remember first my first post-YU crossing from HR to SLO in july 1992 at Bregana (the former highway "bratstva i jedinstva"). The Croats built some containers at the former INA-gasstation and the check was easy, the Slovenes had a modern crossing and checked quite strong already. But that was not strange, considering I came from a country which was in war at that time.

I read today on some Croatian newssite that waiting times for trucks from Serbia for entering Croatia was 3 days now. Does anyone know if there are any queues now on the A3 towards Serbia?
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #4754
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubart View Post
Why were they on the bus?
They were free to walk (or drive) around, they weren't locked in the asylum centre.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4755
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post

I read today on some Croatian newssite that waiting times for trucks from Serbia for entering Croatia was 3 days now. Does anyone know if there are any queues now on the A3 towards Serbia?
just as it happened in 2004 some 300 km to the west. it took few days for a system to start working properly. no more long waiting times now.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4756
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Personally, I'm excited when Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania joining the EU Schengen System in the next few years.

Makes things more convenient for non-EU tourist like me
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4757
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Basically it makes things more convenient for everybody. When you look at history of Europe, especially eastern and south-eastern Europe, it's absolutely incredible how much progress has been made in a relatively short period of time and how we're basically one huge family now, something completely unimaginable 30 years ago. Croatia was a war zone only 18 years ago, and now we're sitting here discussing how inconvenient passport controls are...

Zanovijetalo, vbkluht liked this post
toonczyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4758
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
I'm just curious, because during Serbia-Montenegro, guarded border crossing existed.
You mean between Serbia and Montenegro, right? That were custom controls since Montenegro introduced the D-Mark in 1999 (and later the Euro).

volodaaaa liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #4759
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
Obviously it helped, but not nearly enough, even on this new toll station traffic jams form sometimes. Not to mention traffic going in the other direction, which has to pass through Lučko...
today is happening what i was talking about last week.

look at the jam at toll barrier Lučko, direction north (red frames):

and at the same time traffic at Demerje is completely fluid with no waiting times:

why aer people doing that - i really don't know. trust me, 90% of those waiting at Lučko are foreign plates. why they force to use cash is a mistery to me.
Old July 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4760
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
From what I gather, the borders between Yugoslav republics wasn't even marked on the ground in any way. It's why there are still disputes to this day, and why no border markers exist between many of the ex-Yugoslav republics.

I have a book somewhere that talks about how Croatia and Slovenia put up signs at border crossings even before independence was declared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa
Could you explain more? I know their economies were more or less separate (which is one reason why it was easy enough to end Serbia & Montenegro in 2006) - but I thought the border was never controlled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk
When you look at history of Europe, especially eastern and south-eastern Europe, it's absolutely incredible how much progress has been made in a relatively short period of time and how we're basically one huge family now, something completely unimaginable 30 years ago.
It is amazing. Even when you go back and read the discussions about Schengen when it was first signed, you realise that they managed to implement a plan far superior to the original idea. The original idea was to keep border crossings and for travellers who were from Schengen signatory countries could pass through without stopping. They would have had special stickers on the windscreen indicating this, and random controls would have been made. To instead manage to create a system where border checks were abolished for everyone is incredible.

But I still maintain that the best possible solution now would be to wait until the entire Balkan region can join Schengen at the same time. If they do, Europe can concentrate on guarding a mostly sea border without having to worry about lengthy land borders too in that part of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
why aer people doing that - i really don't know. trust me, 90% of those waiting at Lučko are foreign plates. why they force to use cash is a mistery to me.
Beats me. I used Demerje when I was there for that exact reason.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote