daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4841
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobonazzi View Post
Hi guys!
I would like to take a rest during my trip to Cavtat. Does anybody knows a cheap apartment in the area of MAKARSKA/BASKA VODA where to sleep just few hours?
if you don't have will or time to search something, go there to the tourist office and they will find you something suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosenBRG2013 View Post
Sorry to jump into the conversation (but going over 200 pages of posts is a bit much...) - but does any of the highways or autobahns in Croatia go along the country's coast like the Highway 1 in California? I would love to include that into my travel plans to Croatia if one exists! Thanks!
yep. D8 or Adriatic Highway.
https://maps.google.hr/maps?saddr=Ri...=1,2,3,4,5&z=8

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4842
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosenBRG2013 View Post
Sorry to jump into the conversation (but going over 200 pages of posts is a bit much...) - but does any of the highways or autobahns in Croatia go along the country's coast like the Highway 1 in California? I would love to include that into my travel plans to Croatia if one exists! Thanks!
Except the suggested D8 (Rijeka-Dubrovnik), you can also drive the D66 (Pula-Rijeka), which is also spectacular on the Vozilići-Rijeka section. That part is going on the cliff, highly above the sea level, with view to Cres and Krk islands
Take a look at streetview
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:37 PM   #4843
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I drove that stretch on my way from Opatija to Pula. Very nice road.
Some pictures with scenaries:

image hosted on flickr

Lovran - View towards Rijeka by cinxxx, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

HR_66 - Hotel Flanona by cinxxx, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

More here
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4844
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

[QUOTE=Puležan;105741372]Except the suggested D8 (Rijeka-Dubrovnik), you can also drive the D66 (Pula-Rijeka)....

Yes, both roads are part of the route legacy - road No.2 (yu) "Jadranska magistrála" - almost from Trst to Uncilj......And Opatijska riviéra with Ucka is certainly worthy suggestion....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4845
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post

Yes, both roads are part of the route legacy - road No.2 (yu) "Jadranska magistrála" - almost from Trst to Uncilj......And Opatijska riviéra with Ucka is certainly worthy suggestion....
actually, yugoslav road nr. 2 ended at MK-BG border believe or not

the route was: BC Rabuiese(I)/Škofije(SLO) - Koper - Portorož - BC Sečovlje(SLO)/Plovanija(HR) - Buje - Pula - Labin - Rijeka - Senj - Zadar - Šibenik - Primošten - Split - Makarska - Ploče - BC Klek(HR)/Neum(BIH) - BC Neum(BIH)/Zaton Doli(HR) - Dubrovnik - BC Karasovići(HR)/Debeli Brijeg(MNE) - Herceg Novi - Kotor - Tivat - Budva - Petrovac - Podgorica - Bijelo Polje - BC Bać(MNE)/Špiljani(SRB) - Ribariče - BC Vitkoviće(SRB)/Klečke(RKS) - Mitrovica - Priština - BC Hani i Elezit/Blace(MK) - Skopje - Kumanovo - BC Deve Bair(MK)/Gyueshevo.

something like this
https://maps.google.hr/maps?saddr=Ra...0,21,22,23&z=7

cinxxx liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4846
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

There are still milestones with the roadnumber 2 along that road in Croatia.
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:34 PM   #4847
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

[QUOTE=x-type;105751316]actually, yugoslav road nr. 2 ended at MK-BG border believe or not

the route was: BC Rabuiese(I)/Škofije(SLO) - Koper - Portorož - BC Sečovlje(SLO)/Plovanija(HR) - Buje - Pula - Labin - Rijeka - Senj - Zadar - Šibenik - Primošten - Split - Makarska - Ploče - BC Klek(HR)/Neum(BIH) - BC Neum(BIH)/Zaton Doli(HR) - Dubrovnik - BC Karasovići(HR)/Debeli Brijeg(MNE) - Herceg Novi - Kotor - Tivat - Budva - Petrovac - Podgorica - Bijelo Polje - BC Bać(MNE)/Špiljani(SRB) - Ribariče - BC Vitkoviće(SRB)/Klečke(RKS) - Mitrovica - Priština - BC Hani i Elezit/Blace(MK) - Skopje - Kumanovo - BC Deve Bair(MK)/Gyueshevo.

You are certainly right. Thanks for your remark. The whole road No.2 was longer than "Jadranska magistrala (I am talking about). I noted some old No.2 milestones there as well. It is really interesting to see so many current border crossings on the route of the former No.2.yu - comparing with Yugoslavian "Schengen". Just at the IT/SLO border there is no border check.....Weird!
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4848
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Road nr. 8 is to Croatia what Highway 1 to California is (perhaps even more spectacular).
Drove on the route 2 from Ankaran to Hercegnovi and also on the route 1 from Arcata to San Diego (US 101 from Oregon border to Leggett.). Both are spectacular in their way except the Adriatic is blue where the Pacific is green.

Adriatic islands are nearby the coast where the Havaii are 3 1/2 hours flight from Frisco or LA.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:48 PM   #4849
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

D8 - Sv. Ilija tunnel - A1

KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM   #4850
diegobonazzi

Likes (Received): 1

How are route conditions of the road form the Zagvozd exit to the toll point of the Sv.Ilija tunnel? In youtube I only see an old route... did they improved it?
diegobonazzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #4851
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quick question :

I've got to go from Zagreb to Graz on Saturday morning, leaving about 9am - can anyone tell me what the A2 is going to be like, especially the bit near the Krapina tunnel and the border crossing?

Already got an alternative route in mind...
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #4852
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Quick question :

I've got to go from Zagreb to Graz on Saturday morning, leaving about 9am - can anyone tell me what the A2 is going to be like, especially the bit near the Krapina tunnel and the border crossing?

Already got an alternative route in mind...
i'd say that expected waiting time at Zaprešić toll station would be cca 15 minutes, and maybe there might me crowded at the border crossing.

about alternative routes - don't think about anything else but this.
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #4853
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

what about the route via Rogatec/Manjsperk/Ptuj
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #4854
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
what about the route via Rogatec/Manjsperk/Ptuj
no. at northeastern entrance to Zagreb there are rarely crowds at toll plaza Sveta Helena. at northwestern entrance at toll plaza Zaprešić there are crowds. so BC Rogatce doesn't change a thing, it only bypasses BC Macelj.
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #4855
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobonazzi View Post
How are route conditions of the road form the Zagvozd exit to the toll point of the Sv.Ilija tunnel? In youtube I only see an old route... did they improved it?
On this video you can see complete route from D8 to A1 with tunnel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzHnfOboqwU
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #4856
x-type
con los terroristas

I have clinched tunel Sveti Ilija today

And D523 with spectacular view

phiberoptik, hofburg, KHS, cinxxx, MHN liked this post

Last edited by x-type; August 8th, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #4857
doinel

Likes (Received): 0

Is there a second tube planned for Sv. Ilija?
doinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4858
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

There is second tube already
It is for emergency only. And it is not as wide as first tube.
There is no so much traffic for second tube, and it will not be for long long time
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #4859
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

x-type - thanks! I'm expecting madness at Macelj...

On a related note, I've been for a long tour of the Slovenian/Croatian border today. No sign at all of these "border passes" that you have to pay 80 cents for - despite telling lies to several border guards as to my intentions, out of five "local" border crossings -

- Refused entry (all in SLO-HR direction) to HR by Slovenian police - three times.
- Allowed entry (once HR-SLO, once SLO-HR and return via same crossing) twice.

Both times I was allowed entry, they were quite insistent on asking what I was planning to do and where I was going before letting me go - they didn't offer the local border pass, nor did they mention any conditions on crossing the border at that point. The ones where I was refused - the story was the same each time, that only locals with valid border passes could cross there.

I'm not sure if I should make a formal complaint to the respective border police about this - it's clear that they should offer the border pass, but perhaps the incident with the Hungarian guy has caused them to simply refuse entry?

--

As for the Croatian border itself, the controls seem to be a mixed bag. The "one stop control" isn't working as it should - only on small local border crossings are the officers genuinely working together. On all the rest, such as at Miljana - the Croatian police are working out of the old Slovenian Carina booths and so two stops are required. Certainly - on the intrastate crossings, they really should be working together too.

I can also attest that although Customs controls have gone, the police from both Slovenia and Croatia are now doing their job. I was asked on several occasions if I had anything to declare, and I had my car looked at once. I've seen several cars also subjected to a proper search.

Apart from that, the border is more or less unguarded. I've spent an entire day looking around for interesting old crossings, and not once did the police from either Croatia or Slovenia turn up.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #4860
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Hmmm, that's interesting. Are you an EU citizen? You should've tried the Hotiza border crossing.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote