daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2014, 10:34 AM   #5421
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Thanks a lot!

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:35 AM   #5422
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I payed in Croatia a month ago only with credit card (Mastercard). Had no problems.
If I remember correctly when the amount to pay is displayed, it's in Kuna and also in Euros.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM   #5423
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

You can pay with credit cards at any toll station, with euro at any cash toll station (as far as I know, there are only a few less important exits that only take ENC or credit cards).

definitivo, volodaaaa liked this post
celevac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:21 PM   #5424
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

but watch out, not all euro coins are accepted. only 0,50, 1 and 2€ are valid. change is given in kuna.

also, if you will use some redneck exits out of touristic routes, they will watch you weird (i once had 2€ coin and wanted to spend it, so i paid toll with it, cashier guy was completely pissed off )

volodaaaa, celevac liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:20 PM   #5425
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
but watch out, not all euro coins are accepted. only 0,50, 1 and 2€ are valid. change is given in kuna.

also, if you will use some redneck exits out of touristic routes, they will watch you weird (i once had 2€ coin and wanted to spend it, so i paid toll with it, cashier guy was completely pissed off )
Thank you, but they'll drive on tourists roads only But the collocation "redneck exit" indeed amused me

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:42 PM   #5426
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

There's lots of "redneck exits" also on touristic routes, such as A9 (Istrian Y). For example: Buje, Nova Vas, Vodnjan north and south sometimes have only option of paying with credit cards and ENC (electronic toll)...

I don't know about A1, because HAC isn't so much familiar with "modern" inventions such as self-service paying, but there's lot of exits which have so low traffic volume that there's no sense of having an employee working there
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:46 PM   #5427
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
There's lots of "redneck exits" also on touristic routes, such as A9 (Istrian Y). For example: Buje, Nova Vas, Vodnjan north and south sometimes have only option of paying with credit cards and ENC (electronic toll)...
well, yes. i cannot find better word for exit at eastern part of A3, i come in the middle of the night, wake up fat cashier guy who hates me appearing there, and then i come out with 2€ coin

cinxxx, celevac liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:15 AM   #5428
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
In Macedonia they accept only 5 Euro banknote and give you back change in MKD which supposedly (it is wrong ) fit to your way back (10 MKD is missing, which is f**king 1 eurocent!).
Macedonia only accepts 5 Euro notes? Is that yet another way of annoying the hell out of their neighbours? I remember when I was there a couple of years ago, they were happy to take Euro coins at the tolls. Then again, you can't exactly get rid of MKD outside of Macedonia...

Quote:
And what about credit card payments? Is allowed on every place?
Yep. But they do charge in Kuna irrespective of the currency of the card, so it might not be advantageous to use it. The A2 toll booths don't seem to do anything but swipe your card - I was quite shocked that there's no use of contactless/PIN there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
well, yes. i cannot find better word for exit at eastern part of A3, i come in the middle of the night, wake up fat cashier guy who hates me appearing there, and then i out with 2€ coin
I'll be thinking about these redneck exits in a few weeks!

My wife lost the ticket once on the A1, so I decided to pretend to be really angry and pissed off. After about 10 minutes of calling her names just before the toll booth, she was in floods of tears (she was driving). She drove up to the booth, and the guy was all "sorry, can't do anything, you have to pay the double toll from the beginning", but she spotted a policeman nearby. She went up to him in tears, explained that it was so much money to us and that we wouldn't get to visit Plitvice if we had to pay. He smiled, told the cashier to let us through and wished us a pleasant trip.

The shameful part is that we actually went to Bihac, then decided to sneak into Plitvice rather than paying. Polish tourists

Verso, Zanovijetalo liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:27 AM   #5429
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Macedonia only accepts 5 Euro notes? Is that yet another way of annoying the hell out of their neighbours? I remember when I was there a couple of years ago, they were happy to take Euro coins at the tolls. Then again, you can't exactly get rid of MKD outside of Macedonia...
We are leading to offtopic, but I'm gonna explain it: In 2012 they accepted Euro like Serbia and Croatia do. Last year, they refused payment in Euro, only accepted one 5 € banknote. Then I got change in MKD, which was first toll fewer. The employee explained that the remaining amount of MKD is enough to cover the way to Greece and back. Was not First I had thought what a great idea it was (to ensure circulation of their own money). But when the last patarina on the way back was 40 MKD and I had only 30 I got completely angry. Paid by my visa and kept those MKDs. If I had not been planning the same holiday this year, the MKDs (in amount of 0,3 € - 10 MKD is 0,10 €, not 0,01 € as I stated in my previous post) would have been only valueless paper literally. Just curious what they made up this year But I have 30 more MKDs already.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:10 PM   #5430
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Don't want to drift off too much but I need to add one more thing regarding Macedonian toll booths: Beware of being ripped off by the employees there, this actually happened to me last year when I drove to Skopje. I only had kunas and euros in my wallet. I gave a 5 euro bill to the person, he smiled to his colleague and gave back a 10 MKD bill (= € 0,16 !!) instead of like 280 MKD (= € 4,54). It took quite some effort to get my money back and only when I pretended calling the anti-corruption hotline he suddenly gave back the 5 euro bill, got nervous and said something like "**** off" in Macedonian language. The only good thing about this was that I did not even have to pay the 30 MKD toll.

Well, why do I mention this?

Watch out if you pay with euros in Macedonia. You are very likely to be ripped off if you don't pay attention... I know that wages are very low and that the employees work for practically nothing, e.g. in restaurants and cafes I like to tip generously if the person deserves it, but I don't support corruption or scams of any kind.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:34 PM   #5431
Eulanthe

Speaking of tolls, why are some of the Jadrolinja fares unbelievably expensive?

I'm looking at the Orebic-Korcula fares now, and 76kn for a 15 minute car ferry seems to be way over the top. In comparison, some of the longer runs, like Split-Stari Grad (Hvar) are only 300kn for 2 hours.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:12 PM   #5432
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Speaking of tolls, why are some of the Jadrolinja fares unbelievably expensive?

I'm looking at the Orebic-Korcula fares now, and 76kn for a 15 minute car ferry seems to be way over the top. In comparison, some of the longer runs, like Split-Stari Grad (Hvar) are only 300kn for 2 hours.
some? all of them are expensive as hell. because they hold monopolly there, that's why.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM   #5433
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Build tolled undersea tunnels like Norway

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

darko06 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:50 PM   #5434
Eulanthe

But then Pascal's favourite motorway to Dubrovnik would never get built

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there are any statistics on how much traffic goes from Slavonski Brod towards Split rather than going through Bosnia?

I've always wondered if (for example) lorries will go the long way round rather than having to transit BiH.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:20 AM   #5435
bzbox

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Is there any info available for toll prices in euro?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:17 AM   #5436
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbox View Post
Is there any info available for toll prices in euro?
i think not because € prices are always some crazy amounts like 3,87 or 8,42. Never rounded. That should be the sign that conversion is made according to current conversion rate of Croatian National Bank. If you need it for calculation, just divide kn amount with 7,6, you won't miss much.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:38 PM   #5437
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Don't want to drift off too much but I need to add one more thing regarding Macedonian toll booths: Beware of being ripped off by the employees there, this actually happened to me last year when I drove to Skopje. I only had kunas and euros in my wallet. I gave a 5 euro bill to the person, he smiled to his colleague and gave back a 10 MKD bill (= € 0,16 !!) instead of like 280 MKD (= € 4,54). It took quite some effort to get my money back and only when I pretended calling the anti-corruption hotline he suddenly gave back the 5 euro bill, got nervous and said something like "**** off" in Macedonian language. The only good thing about this was that I did not even have to pay the 30 MKD toll.

Well, why do I mention this?

Watch out if you pay with euros in Macedonia. You are very likely to be ripped off if you don't pay attention... I know that wages are very low and that the employees work for practically nothing, e.g. in restaurants and cafes I like to tip generously if the person deserves it, but I don't support corruption or scams of any kind.
Our country is full of idiots. And its impossible to pay with credit card because the idiots cannot profit from tourists.
You always wanna ask in Croatian language and not in English for the price, cause if they see you understand them there would be no such problems.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #5438
bzbox

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
i think not because € prices are always some crazy amounts like 3,87 or 8,42. Never rounded. That should be the sign that conversion is made according to current conversion rate of Croatian National Bank. If you need it for calculation, just divide kn amount with 7,6, you won't miss much.
Thanks, but not to worry, I'm gonna pay in HRK anyway
Old July 7th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #5439
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbox View Post
Thanks, but not to worry, I'm gonna pay in HRK anyway
Speaking of HRK, can anyone tell me what kind of exchange rate is offered from EUR-HRK at the minute in the exchange offices?

I'm able to buy Euro very very cheaply in Poland, but getting Kuna is another story
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #5440
Usamljeni Hashishar

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Speaking of HRK, can anyone tell me what kind of exchange rate is offered from EUR-HRK at the minute in the exchange offices?

I'm able to buy Euro very very cheaply in Poland, but getting Kuna is another story
1 euro = 7.59 kuna (7/7/2014 19:32 pacific standard time, how's that for exchange rate at the minute?)
Usamljeni Hashishar no está en línea   Reply With Quote