daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #5561
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
The only good thing is that transit to MNE and AL will no longer go via the D8 as soon as the motorway through BiH is finished (but that will take a long time, as we know).
A little less conversation, a little more action please...
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #5562
Karaya

Likes (Received): 752

No one has the money for this motorway section. Traffic volume is low, i'm surprised that they are even thinking of building this motorway. EU funding should be changed, it's insane how they push international connections that have low traffic volume while domestic road network with high traffic volume is being neglected.
Karaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #5563
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

EU funding? Not a cent of EU money was spent here
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #5564
Karaya

Yet.

Croatia can still build it's part to Dubrovnik and if I were Croat, I would build it. But low traffic volume means financial problems. I would think twice before going ahead.

darko06 liked this post
Old August 26th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #5565
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
, so D1 diverges from A1 in Karlovac, and the intended/planned end of this new single-lane expressway/magistrala is on Gornja Ploča exit at A1 again.
no, not anymore. D1 already for few years follows the route parallel with A1 between Zagreb and Karlovac via Klinča Sela, Jastrebarsko, Desinić.
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #5566
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
no, not anymore. D1 already for few years follows the route parallel with A1 between Zagreb and Karlovac via Klinča Sela, Jastrebarsko, Desinić.
I know that, I just used wrong expression when writing. What I wanted to say is that sort of a "right of way" on D1 is A1 (Karlovac exit) > Karlovac "bypass" > Udbina, because there's a totso at the D1/A1 intersection (on KA-ZG direction you have to turn left if you want to continue on D1, and vice versa)
Old August 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #5567
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
A little less conversation, a little more action please...
Perhaps Slovenia should eventually build a missing link of A-I motorway from Trieste to Rupa, to give a good example to others...

Don't forget, the new Slovenian MP Mr. Cerar is also invited on briefing with Frau Merkel... I wouldn't be in his shoes...
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #5568
Karaya

What can she say? Will German taxpayers pay the financially unfeasible motorway project? I don't think so.

Traffic Trieste - Rijeka is low, AADT about 5000-7000, it makes no sense to build motorway here. On the other hand we have state roads passing gorges with 15000-20000 AADT. Where do you think we will build motorways first?

Even the slovenian A4 is waste of money with 8000 AADT, if you ask me.

darko06 liked this post
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #5569
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
Is this new alignment a priority for Bosnia? I appreciate the fact that it would be cheaper than a route directly via Dubrovnik, but if Bosnia can't find funding to build it, then it won't become a reality until very very far into the future. The Sarajevo - Mostar corridor is much more important for domestic traffic in Bosnia.
Not a priority in the slightest. I suspect that it's rather one of those plans that allow Croatia to back out of building the motorway to Dubrovnik, while instead upgrading the D8 bit-by-bit to expressway on the cheap. They can then point at the lack of progress in Montenegro and Bosnia.

At the same time, I'm surprised Croatia can't make an expensive Dubrovnik North-Airport tolled motorway work. The amount of traffic on the D8 is ridiculous in summer - a simple barrier toll at the airport and close to Dubrovnik could easily take 30-50kn each time.

darko06 liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #5570
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

I am looking for some information and also official rules about advertising on (by) Croatian motorways. Can someone help with that?
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #5571
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Alright, bad news coming up... http://www.jutarnji.hr/ekskluzivno--...vnika/1215534/ The Prime Ministers of Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Albania met yesterday in Cavtat. They came to the conclusion that the Adriatic-Ionian highway will not be built via Dubrovnik, but rather via Počitelj (BiH) and Trebinje (BiH) to Montenegro. Croatia does plan to build the Pelješki most (Pelješac bridge) in order to circumvent Neum. The new plan is to build a semi-expressway (widen D8 at some places and build village bypasses wherever it is possible). While Croatia could still build the highway to Dubrovnik on their own territory, they would have to do it with their own money. But that's not going to happen anytime soon. I'm afraid they won't even do the widening or any improvements on the existing D8 state road, because Croatia has no money. The only good thing is that transit to MNE and AL will no longer go via the D8 as soon as the motorway through BiH is finished (but that will take a long time, as we know).
Very odd. Is the majority of the annual traffic in this region not tourism related? And wouldnt connecting DRV Airport provide a major boost for the entire region? Looks a bit short sighted to completely by-pass Dubrovnik and build a highway so far in land that it doesnt serve any of the popular coastal areas.

darko06 liked this post
Des no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #5572
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Don't worry, guys, we'll witness at least two world wars before the Adriatic-Ionian motorway is completed.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #5573
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I think that Adriatic-Ionian motorway is SciFi.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #5574
FiveYears

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
I think that Adriatic-Ionian motorway is SciFi.
Shouldn`t be. Bigger problem on the route could be only in Montenegro.
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #5575
kostas97

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveYears View Post
Shouldn`t be. Bigger problem on the route could be only in Montenegro.
Nope. The problem is not just in Montenegro.
An effective Adriatic-Ionian motorway should begin at Patras and end at Trieste. But at the moment, your part (the Croatian one) along with the Slovenian and the Italian are the only parts to have been completed.

As i was saying, if you search about it, the problem is in 3 countries (Greece, Albania and Montenegro).

I can only assure you that the 200 km Greek part (Ionia Odos-A5 motorway) is under construction and it is expected to finish in December 2015.
Conserning Albania, i don't see any interest about a possible Kakavia-Hani i Hotit motorway corridor, a motorway that could have been proven vital for the country and for the Balkans as well.
About the Montenegrin part, i don't even know what they intend to do with it.

The most important thing is that the Adriatic-Ionian motorway would have been a perfect-and competitive-alternative to the mostly used Athens-Belgrade-Budapest route. Let's just hope that this road will stop being a vision and that its construction will finally commence.
kostas97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #5576
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Albania will build a motorway from Elbasan to Tepelena as next step. That's not far form the Greek border.

However, the complete route through Albania can right now be considered as expressway (with a few small interruptions). Since traffic is still low on that route, it wouldn't make sense for Albania to invest right now in upgrading the entire route to motorway. There are more important things to do.

So, it's indeed right that Montenegro is the problem: Traffic won't increase significantly unless there's a expressway crossing of the Kotor bay or a bypass of the whole area. An expressway from Herzeg Novi to Budva with that Verige bridge would boost traffic.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #5577
Karaya

Adriatic-Ionian motorway is a political project, the traffic along the Adriatic coast never really existed, nowadays truckers use Ro-Ro sea lines: Istanbul - Trieste, Pireas - Trieste.

Traffic on Athens - Belgrade - Budapest is not interested for the Adriatic-Ionian motorway. Not even Athens - Belgrade - Zagreb - Ljubljana - München. Ro-Ro is just simply better.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #5578
FiveYears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
the traffic along the Adriatic coast never really existed
That`s nonsense. Shipping lines along east adriatic coast were full used all untill car became faster and cheaper option.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #5579
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2201

The motorway down the east coast of Italy to Bari is chock a block with traffic and itself needs an upgrade in parts. While the Serbs/Greeks and Bulgarians have made great progress on the general Athens - Sofia - Belgrade - Zagreb or Budapest route in recent years the choice to my mind (on a pan European scale) is between upgrading the Italian road to Bari or new build along the east side of the Adriatic. The latte would be cheaper and less disruptive.

Montenegro is the single biggest problem...unless they join the EU early that is, and The Republika Srbska and Albania are the next most awkard problem while the Greeks will complete _most_ of their Adriatic motorway within the next 2 years.

The motorway logically has to go inland from around where it ends now NW of Neum into Bosnia to Trebinja to Podgorica and a spur over to Dubrovnik/Dubrovnik Airport from west of Trebinje. The EU will pay the bulk of the costs as it is a key piece of missing infrastructure on a European scale.

First everyone must agree on a route though.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #5580
FiveYears

Wouldn`t agree with last sentence. If Slovenia, Croatia, Albania, Greece and especially Montenegro agree to built as much as can in their own countries, BH wouldn`t be problem any more, or will be very small.