daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:06 PM   #5681
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigic View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/dBLrP
Only about 300 km longer when going from Zagreb, maybe even less from Central Europe.
Or take the ferry Zadar-Ancona, then drive to Bari and take the ferry to Dubrovnik.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Adayafter liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:41 PM   #5682
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

A3 from Zagreb to Slavonski Brod can be seen on this video
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #5683
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
The only thing I wanted to state id that Croatia's entry to schengen would simply mean an abolishment of the borders so you dont even have to wait at the lines because there may be some travellers that only brought a regular passport to be stamped and scanned. Its like 3-5 minutes per car so a lot of time can be saved
It's nowhere near 3-5 minutes per car on internal EU border crossings. It depends on the border crossing, but in general, EU citizens are either waved through or given only a very quick check. The problem is that some Croatian border crossings are international, yet aren't able to deal with the traffic properly. A perfect example is Vitaljina, on the MNE border - there's only one lane, yet it's wholly inadequate for the amount of traffic crossing there. Croatia, before joining Schengen, absolutely needs to improve some of their border crossings. Many of them are excellent (for example, Licko Petrovo Selo, Stara Gradiska and Nova Sela) - but Doljani (close to Metkovic) is a disaster.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #5684
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Vitaljina is only a minor crossing. The traffic should go over Debeli Brijeg. But because it's a mess there - on Croatian as well as on Montenegrin side - many try their luck at Vitaljina and than it gets crowded as hell. But if Debeli Brijeg would be improved, no one would drove over Vitaljina.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #5685
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

A7,Rijeka bypass

By Japanac,his Panoramio:http://www.panoramio.com/user/842151...1&photo_page=9
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #5686
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Vitaljina is only a minor crossing. The traffic should go over Debeli Brijeg. But because it's a mess there - on Croatian as well as on Montenegrin side - many try their luck at Vitaljina and than it gets crowded as hell. But if Debeli Brijeg would be improved, no one would drove over Vitaljina.
The police are often closing Karaskovici too and directing traffic to Vitaljina. I was there last summer (in the direction MNE->HR) and while clearance out of Montenegro and into Croatia took a few seconds, there was a jam of several hours in the HR->MNE direction. I asked the Croatian guard what the problem actually was, and he told me that the requirement for a Green Card in MNE caused a lot of problems - people have to buy the insurance on the spot, and with only one lane in each direction, it causes huge queues. He also told me that his peers in Karaskovici also cause huge problems by doing unnecessary checks - for instance, scanning passports of EU citizens when they're clearly tourists. The best solution there would be to introduce "one stop" controls - but Schengen unfortunately prohibits controls outside of Schengen territory (why, I don't know - it's one of the most stupid rules...). Certainly it would make much more sense for EU citizens to be visually checked on the entrance to Karaskovici, and if all is well, they should be able to bypass the more thorough controls. The other bad thing is the lack of the "green lane" system - so Customs waste a lot of time asking for verbal declarations, too.
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #5687
stickedy

The green card explanation seems absolutely nonsense to me. You need the green card for example also in BiH and in fact you get the green card from your insurance company. So buying it at the border crossing is only an exception. Only big border crossing point have insurance companies at all. And I had crossed there many times (waiting between an hour and a few minutes in the queue) and visible nobody bought an insurance there.

But indeed, the Montenegrin side does time intensive checks. However, I have also waited there for an hour entering Croatia, so that isn't a Montenegrin only problem. In my opinion the border crossing is simply to small. Croatia extended their side a few years back and since then the waiting time there was improved (getting smaller), so Montenegro also has to extend their side.

Joint controls wouldn't really eliminate the problem, just have a look at Sokobin - Muriqan (Montenegro - Albania) where there are joint controls and that crossing is also crowded as hell despite that there were several lanes available and in operation. But joint controls make it more pleasant.

Last edited by stickedy; January 26th, 2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #5688
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

It's not about a green card in MNE but an eco tax: http://www.visit-montenegro.com/article-mne-4966.htm
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #5689
stickedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubart View Post
It's not about a green card in MNE but an eco tax: http://www.visit-montenegro.com/article-mne-4966.htm
The Eco–tax was abolished already in 2012: http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php...enumber=118235

And in fact it didn't harm the border procedure since it was sold before the booths and you had enough time to get one while waiting in the queue

dubart liked this post
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #5690
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

I always liked Vitaljina much more because it tends to be a rather quiet and fast border crossing. Karasovići can get insane backlogs in summer and in winter, they sometimes just don't move their asses on the Montenegrin side of the border. For example, customs officers sleeping in their booth (around midnight) and angry at you for literally waking them up during their workhours, and then proceeding extra slow on purpose just because you were the only car within an hour. Another time it happened that the police officer was done after a quick passport scan and then the customs officer started interrogation because he had nothing else to do in his quiet shift outside of the touristic season... I'm sure, if they worked more efficiently, they could improve the queues a lot.

Before anyone here starts yelling nationalist things at me because of my "location" in the forum profile, this is not what I was trying to imply. It's not about Croatian-Montenegrin relations. The same thing is going on with e.g. Croatian police as well at many border crossings, but at Karasovići it appears to be extra-bad.

Christophorus liked this post
celevac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #5691
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
I always liked Vitaljina much more because it tends to be a rather quiet and fast border crossing. Karasovići can get insane backlogs in summer and in winter, they sometimes just don't move their asses on the Montenegrin side of the border. For example, customs officers sleeping in their booth (around midnight) and angry at you for literally waking them up during their workhours, and then proceeding extra slow on purpose just because you were the only car within an hour. Another time it happened that the police officer was done after a quick passport scan and then the customs officer started interrogation because he had nothing else to do in his quiet shift outside of the touristic season... I'm sure, if they worked more efficiently, they could improve the queues a lot.

Before anyone here starts yelling nationalist things at me because of my "location" in the forum profile, this is not what I was trying to imply. It's not about Croatian-Montenegrin relations. The same thing is going on with e.g. Croatian police as well at many border crossings, but at Karasovići it appears to be extra-bad.

Hmm, you never know regarding the relations. Its just funny that in many borders around Balkan, they pay attention to your name and ask for your nationality even if its written in the passport. that happens frequently. In addition, working there is actually a prestigeous job in Balkan so they feel kinda prevailed. Just imagine that you have the power and authority to let people in your country.

celevac liked this post
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #5692
HRHB

Likes (Received): 15

Drove from Vienna to Sarajevo over Slavonski Šamac and at Sredanci interchange they already put Svilaj sign-post but without BiH sticker, I don't know since when it's there but I thought it's good to know
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #5693
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHB View Post
Drove from Vienna to Sarajevo over Slavonski Šamac and at Sredanci interchange they already put Svilaj sign-post but without BiH sticker, I don't know since when it's there but I thought it's good to know
that's because it really will temporarly be exit for Svilaj, nothing else. i mean, there is wooden ferry accross the river in Svilaj (i don't know is it still operational), but untill the bridge would be finished, there will be no signs for BIH.
Old January 30th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #5694
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
that's because it really will temporarly be exit for Svilaj, nothing else. i mean, there is wooden ferry accross the river in Svilaj (i don't know is it still operational), but untill the bridge would be finished, there will be no signs for BIH.
It would be quite trolling, if they led all traffic over that wooden ferry.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #5695
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It would be quite trolling, if they led all traffic over that wooden ferry.
Is this ferry?
https://www.google.it/maps/place/Svi...563678a27d5852
It's interesting, I don't think there are still many river ferry border crossings in Europe. Are there pics? Is passport\ID check performed on the boat or while waiting the boat?
The closest that come to my mind is the ferry between Switzerland and Germany on the Bodensee.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 12:07 AM   #5696
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

yes, that's the place. and it would really be trolling, verso
you can see on google earth customs booth at croatian side (blue roof). on bosnian - i don't know.

this is how that ferry looks like.

Verso liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 02:11 AM   #5697
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Not so long time ago one company from Serbia was using Zagreb bypass and they reported that some construction works were going on.I am not sure about what they were talking.Does any one of you guys know?I think that they said something about A4.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:43 AM   #5698
Eulanthe

Can't be certain, but it looks like - https://www.google.si/maps/@45.11377.../data=!3m1!1e3 - those little white buildings are probably the Bosnian control buildings. It's normal for Bosnia to use those portable huts for small border crossings (and even not so small border crossings...). But is that ferry really open for international traffic, or just locals?
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:50 AM   #5699
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Not so long time ago one company from Serbia was using Zagreb bypass and they reported that some construction works were going on.I am not sure about what they were talking.Does any one of you guys know?I think that they said something about A4.
It's the construction site of the future junction Jakuševec, A3-A11. Northern ramps are done, now they are building the southern part of the junction.
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:39 AM   #5700
tooljan

Likes (Received): 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Can't be certain, but it looks like - https://www.google.si/maps/@45.11377.../data=!3m1!1e3 - those little white buildings are probably the Bosnian control buildings. It's normal for Bosnia to use those portable huts for small border crossings (and even not so small border crossings...). But is that ferry really open for international traffic, or just locals?
It's not international border crossing. On river Sava, there are couple of ferries between BIH and CRO.

Last edited by tooljan; January 31st, 2015 at 03:56 PM.
tooljan no está en línea   Reply With Quote