daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2015, 09:37 PM   #5881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

You got married?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

smar liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:19 PM   #5882
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What? No, but I've made much more stupid mistakes in my life than driving somewhere on a wrong day.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:09 PM   #5883
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I

A question - how new is the D1 from Split to the A1 junction? That road is amazing...

Anyway, I've done the A1 on a summer weekend and never, ever again
If you like D roads so much use D1 all the way to Zagreb on way back.

D1 from Split to motorway - works started in 1988 i think, then with war 1991 all stoped, 1998 works continued 1999 open for traffic only one side ( two way traffic). After that part by part was build with lots of stops during contruction, and finaly on beginig of this year full profile expressway was opened for traffic.
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #5884
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
So we went over the mountains instead to Maslenica. I have to admit - I was very very impressed with the D50, D27 and D54. Those roads are a real drivers dream, especially the D27.
But why did you go back to Maslenica, instead of going all the way to Šibenik or Split on the state road? It's a detour.

D27 Gračac-Obrovac-Šibenik is a great road, in a good condition, especially the section from Obrovac to Šibenik: you can legally drive 90 on most sections, and the road itself allows even more.

Or you could take D1 all the way from Gračac to Split (I don't know the condition of that section). But if you want to go back from Split to Zagreb via D1, the part through Lika is just fine, you can do 80-90. Just the part from Slunj to Karlovac may be congested because many people use the old road to avoid motorway
Puležan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 02:21 PM   #5885
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I didn't know about how the D27 was after the turn off to Maslenica It's very obvious on Google Street View now, but I just wanted to get back onto the A1 rather than risk the road going to hell later on.

Speaking of Maslenica, why is photography banned on the bridge?

Quote:
D1 from Split to motorway - works started in 1988 i think, then with war 1991 all stoped, 1998 works continued 1999 open for traffic only one side ( two way traffic). After that part by part was build with lots of stops during contruction, and finaly on beginig of this year full profile expressway was opened for traffic.
Thank you! It's a lovely piece of road - I had so much fun just cruising to the bottom peacefully.

Puležan liked this post

Last edited by Eulanthe; August 2nd, 2015 at 02:40 PM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM   #5886
Puležan

Quote:
I didn't know about how the D27 was after the turn off to Maslenica It's very obvious on Google Street View now, but I just wanted to get back onto the A1 rather than risk the road going to hell later on.
Most highways/magistrale are in a really good shape. After the war, roads in Dalmacija were reconstructed, and also in 2000s there was a "Betterment" program under which many main roads were renovated. If you want to avoid motorways, these are really worth seeing and driving on:
D66 Pula-Rijeka, D56/D27 Zadar-Benkovac-Šibenik, D1 Macelj-Zagreb (but it can be congested and with dangerous overtakings).

Quote:
Speaking of Maslenica, why is photography banned on the bridge?
Stupidity. This ban is pretty much common on bridges and also some viaducts (e.g. old ones on D8). The more interesting (and more stupid) thing is that on croatian satellite images no bridges and viaducts are shown Take a look at Arkod
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:15 PM   #5887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:38 PM   #5888
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

What's the reason? National security?
Anyway, Maslenica bridge is clearly visible on Google Maps.
https://www.google.it/maps/place/Mas...8794362a5d4b6b
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:23 AM   #5889
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Not just Google Maps, this and other important bridges are very clearly photographed from all angles on Google Street View.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:18 PM   #5890
Puležan

Exactly!

You cannot even take a picture from such bridges. In many places on D8 there are some small rest areas/parking lots, where the view is amazing and you can take pretty nice pictures, but there's a security guard that forbids that

Also, approach under the bridges is forbidden.

Such bans are relicts from YU-times, where many things were declared as national security matters.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:25 PM   #5891
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

That's crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal in communist years, and later the law was never formally abolished. However, it's astonishing that this obsolete law is still enforced today (Maslenica bridge was built after the fall of communism), even with cops in rest areas to enforce this! And that this law is enforced against ordinary citizens and foreign tourists but not against Google!
That's even more insane than the dash cam ban in Austria. I mean, it's in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea that police tell tourists not to photograph or film certain places! In Europe one is supposed to take pictures everywhere, except private properties and active military areas.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:31 PM   #5892
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

What are you talking about?

If you are thinking about this sign it's purpose is for idiots who are stoping here to take pictures of the channel... and there are plenty of those, believe me.
Before it was in combination with no stopping and parking sign, and now it is not even visible from the moving car.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:39 PM   #5893
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
Exactly!

You cannot even take a picture from such bridges. In many places on D8 there are some small rest areas/parking lots, where the view is amazing and you can take pretty nice pictures, but there's a security guard that forbids that

Also, approach under the bridges is forbidden.

Such bans are relicts from YU-times, where many things were declared as national security matters.
I had the same situation at one HR-BiH crossing where the Croatian guards took offense to me taking photos of the coast from the crossing. I can understand not photographing border crossings (although many of them are on Google Street View now...) - but complaining about taking photos of the view from the crossing? Madness.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 06:06 PM   #5894
Puležan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHS View Post
What are you talking about?

If you are thinking about this sign it's purpose is for idiots who are stoping here to take pictures of the channel... and there are plenty of those, believe me.
Before it was in combination with no stopping and parking sign, and now it is not even visible from the moving car.
We're not talking about the sign which forbids people from walking across the bridge, but about signs which forbid taking photograps near the bridge (e.g. on the rest area). Also, what's the reason for not showing bridges on satellite images?
Old August 3rd, 2015, 06:33 PM   #5895
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1523

check his first link
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:36 PM   #5896
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Arkod imagery of Krk bridge is especially strange with all the (badly) photoshopped trees, rocks and sea.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:05 PM   #5897
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

They even made an effort to photoshop it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:08 AM   #5898
Eulanthe

Quick holiday related question

I know the Jadrolinija connection from Rijeka-Split-Dubrovnik got cancelled, but why did it exist in the first place? Was it really faster to take the ferry than to drive?

Then again, I've seen terrible traffic jams in Omiš every time I've gone there so far, so I'm guessing the D8 was hell in many areas before the A1 opened?
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #5899
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

The D8 is hell in holiday season
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #5900
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

Maybe not faster, but much more comfortable.
From Rijeka to Split instead of very long and exhausting drive on D8, you put car on ferry, sleep during night, and in mornig you are fresh for adventures. Especialy on way back if you live in west Europe. Did you drive on D8 between Maslenica and Senj?
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote