daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #6021
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I think it's justified asking about motorway construction progress.

It was announced that construction of the Sava bridge (to BiH) could begin in 2015/16. The same for the construction of the extention from north of the Drava bridge to Beli Manastir close to the Hungarian border (first carriageway only). As mentioned by stickedy, Croatia currently tries to get a new government. That means, we do not expect a construction begin, contract awarding or just any reliable announcement of anything about new projects.

In addition to the u/c Drava motorway bridge, there are also two expressways u/c:

D10: Gradec – Krizevci 11.5km (? to 2016) – ? – map
D12: Vrbovec (A12) – Farkasevac 10.5km (? to 2016) – ? – map

It was announced to be opened in 2015 but I've changed it to 2016 because of the following post. Is there any updated info now? E.g. estimated opening date in early 2016, late 2016, 2017,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezi View Post
D10/D12 - Not this year, date unknown
http://hac.hr/sites/hac.hr/files/cr-...raenja2015.pdf

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Adayafter liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #6022
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Gradec - Križevci will definitely be opened next year. branch to Farkaševac tough very probably not.
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #6023
Gedeon

Likes (Received): 12472

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
In addition to the u/c Drava motorway bridge, there are also two expressways u/c:

D10: Gradec – Krizevci 11.5km (? to 2016) – ? – map
D12: Vrbovec (A12) – Farkasevac 10.5km (? to 2016) – ? – map

It was announced to be opened in 2015 but I've changed it to 2016 because of the following post. Is there any updated info now? E.g. estimated opening date in early 2016, late 2016, 2017,...
Andraševac-Bedekovčina expressway is also U/C, and it fulfills your criteria:

Quote:
If a 2nd carriageway is planned but not yet u/c, the project is added if the other pre-conditions - except barrier - are already fulfilled.

MichiH liked this post
Gedeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #6024
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

A5 near Osijek U/C

Part of motorway viaduct U/C over D2 road and railway
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronher View Post
update nadvožnjaka vol.2

MichiH, Shenkey, SRC_100, Luki_SL, 8166UY and 1 others liked this post
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #6025
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
Andraševac-Bedekovčina expressway is also U/C, and it fulfills your criteria:
Thanks, is it this section: > click <? Do you know when construction works began? Do you know the estimated completion date?

What's about the neighboring section (map), it seems that it was opened not long ago? Do you know when works began and when it was opened?

What's the numbering of the road, is it a (future) H road?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #6026
Gedeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Thanks, is it this section: > click <? Do you know when construction works began? Do you know the estimated completion date?

What's about the neighboring section (map), it seems that it was opened not long ago? Do you know when works began and when it was opened?

What's the numbering of the road, is it a (future) H road?
Yup, U/C section is Andraševec-Bedekovčina, and the one recently opened is Mokrice-Andraševec.

Mokrice (A2)-Andraševec
Construction start: 2012
Opened: 7/10/2015

Andraševec-Bedekovčina (U/C)
Construction start : March 2015
Opening planned: Autumn 2016

Bedekovčina-Zlatar Bistrica (construction bidding underway)
Construction start planned: 2016

Road is a D-road, but has no number (yet).

No H roads in Croatia, only A roads (autocesta/motorway) and D roads (državna cesta/state road). Oh, I guess we actually have some B roads (brza cesta/expressway), but only B8/B9 (sections not yet upgraded to A8/A9). It's a bit f$cked up.

MichiH, Adayafter liked this post

Last edited by Gedeon; December 7th, 2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #6027
InterestingStuff

Likes (Received): 1

What is happening or what has happened with the A1 from Zagreb to Dubrovnik? Is it complete yet?
InterestingStuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #6028
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingStuff View Post
What is happening or what has happened with the A1 from Zagreb to Dubrovnik? Is it complete yet?
just open Google Maps, everything is perfectly up to date there with A1

or
Old December 15th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #6029
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingStuff View Post
Nope, and you can bet that, until a solution for Neum is found, it won't be.

(That said, I'm not sure why work hasn't started on the Doli-Osojnik section yet. That, at least, will be independent of whatever alignment is used to solve Neum.)

(By the by, I think the best solution would be a motorway across the Bosnian corridor with exactly one exit: border controls can then be done at that exit, because traffic on the motorway obviously is not going to Bosnia while traffic getting on is leaving Bosnia, and getting off (heh), entering (heh heh). Toll the highway and not only will it pay for itself, easy-peasy, but you then have a way to finance other major projects, such as that road between Mostar and Doboj via Zenica and Sarajevo. It's also probably cheaper than a bridge.)
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #6030
Gedeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Nope, and you can bet that, until a solution for Neum is found, it won't be.

(That said, I'm not sure why work hasn't started on the Doli-Osojnik section yet. That, at least, will be independent of whatever alignment is used to solve Neum.)
Because it isn't planned to build motorway to Dubrovnik on Croatian territory anymore. Only expressway/current road upgrade. And capacity of current road is more than enough for decades to come.
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #6031
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

There's still nothing official about this idea. Just some words of a soon former minister.

The ongoing plan for building roads and motorways which lasts till 2016 lists A1 from Doli to Dubrovnik: http://narodne-novine.nn.hr/clanci/s...4_01_1_32.html

It would be planned if this plan is changed or a new plan is made.

And for the capacity of the current road: No, it's not more than enough in summer months.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #6032
Gedeon

Ok, dream on if you wish.
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #6033
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
And for the capacity of the current road: No, it's not more than enough in summer months.
Of course it is enough. I've been on it on few summer weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) in last two years and in my experience overtakings can be done pretty easily on straight sections and traffic density is very low. Even on HR/BiH border crossings I never waited more than 10 minutes.

Of course some straightening of curves would be very nice and also bridges over Zaton and Slano bay.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #6034
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
Ok, dream on if you wish.
No need for dreaming, I just said what's the official state. And you should know that this depends on the new government - which will make the new road development plan. We will will see what's official after this plan is created.

That's not only true for A1 (or whatever connection will be planned), but also for other projects, like A7.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #6035
Gedeon

It mostly depends on money,
of which we don't have any.
Old February 6th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #6036
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11824

I think this would be great.

Quote:
Is Croatia set for a change in its motorway financing approach?

With the new Croatian government expected to be confirmed on Friday, there are more and more policy initiatives being launched by members of the new parliamentary majority, including those who might quite possibly become ministers in the new government. One of them is Oleg Butković, a high-ranking member of HDZ and a likely candidate for Transport Minister. If he is indeed confirmed as the new minister, one of the most difficult issues for him will be what to do with Croatian Motorways public company, which is heavily indebted due to loans taken out while the motorways were being built more than a decade ago, reports Autostart.hr on January 17, 2016.

During the election campaign, Butković was very clear: "Vignettes are the only real solution." He advocates a completely different approach to Croatian motorways and traffic safety. According to him, the motorways should not have been built if the only intention is to sell them now. "Such an approach to solving Croatian financial problems might be appropriate for financiers and bankers, but not for those of us who know how to make money from the road infrastructure", said Butković, who is absolutely against the sale of motorways.

"They are our national treasure which has not been well-managed and they should not be sold for next to nothing just to lower the Croatian public debt. On the contrary, we can make money, and vignettes are one of the central issues. We will do everything to introduce them as soon as possible. We will be better in managing the motorway system. It is nice to see our motorways during the summer when they are full of vehicles, but as soon as the tourist season ends they are eerily empty. Why did we build them at all", asked Butković.

He is quite right when he warns about the underutilization of motorways. With an average daily traffic of just 12,000 vehicles, it is difficult to make them profitable, since the lower limit of viability is 16,000 vehicles a day, and only the motorway between Zagreb and Lipovac manages to achieve that level of traffic. For Butković, the main task is to provide citizens with the possibility to use the motorways cheaply and to force trucks away from other state and local roads.

"It would be good to double the traffic, to further increase the income from heavy trucks who now use other major state roads. We have this absurd situation where, due to high prices, truckers are bypassing motorways", added Butković. Trucks are precisely the kind of vehicles on which the Slovenian motorways make the largest profits. Slovenia has forced them to use the motorways and pay for them. Other countries which have a vignette system for toll payment have achieved similar results.

There are many other reasons for the vignette system to be introduced, instead of the current tollbooth payment collection system. Even the simplest financial calculations show that vignettes would be more profitable for Croatia. According to preliminary estimates, the price of a one-year vignette should be around 130 euros. Today, that is the price of just two journeys from Varaždin to Ploče and back.
https://www.total-croatia-news.com/b...tian-motorways
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #6037
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Next summer hot topic: 'which is the best alternate route from Pasjak to Rijeka to avoid the vignette for few km of A7?'
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #6038
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

If you privatize the motorways, you can be sure the toll rates would double or more. There are almost no motorways under a private concession that charge less than € 0.08 per kilometer. I believe the current Croatian toll rate is about € 0.04 per kilometer.

Some private concessions also have clauses that make the government pay if traffic volumes fall short of expectations. That's the last thing you want.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

LG_ liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #6039
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Next summer hot topic: 'which is the best alternate route from Pasjak to Rijeka to avoid the vignette for few km of A7?'
at least it is not the problem - there is very good parallel state road. but avioding Rijeka bypass through city centre would be a nightmare.

personally, i don't like idea with vignettes. first of all they should introduce truck tolls (imo the best system is tollcollect like in Germany, define the route and pay for it).
tolling for cars - the best would be that system like in Norway or new Italian motorways (does Portugal have that system too?) based on scanning the car plates. but i don't know how much costs implementation of such system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If you privatize the motorways, you can be sure the toll rates would double or more. There are almost no motorways under a private concession that charge less than € 0.08 per kilometer. I believe the current Croatian toll rate is about € 0.04 per kilometer.
it is cca 0,06€/km in average

Last edited by x-type; February 6th, 2016 at 03:28 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #6040
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I wonder about the pricing of vignettes in Croatia if that actually happened. The A2 would presumably be excluded from the system, but right now, it's still about 30 Euro to go from Zagreb to the last exit on the A1. If a short term vignette was introduced at 20 Euro, you would see a lot of cars returning to the old State roads on short journeys from the border.

I would be very happy if I only had to pay 15 Euro for Zagreb to the end of the A1 rather than the current 30, but surely this would result in huge losses in the summer season?

Truck tolls are obvious though, and I'm surprised Croatia hasn't done more to ban trucks from roads such as the run through Plitvice.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote