daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #6301
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by threo2k View Post
What happened to all Croatian motorway projects?
T
Built mostly?

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #6302
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:

I remember many years ago, they used to build motorways so fast!! Every year when I drove through they allways opened new sections (on A1), and they said the A1 to dubrovnik would be completed in 2014? The same thing is happened here at A5, wasnt this supposed to be finished a long time ago?
Croatia's had economic problems for a while now, and the motorway network is mostly finished anyway. The motorway to Dubrovnik has been discussed endlessly on here, but it's clear that Croatia doesn't want to pay for it and neither does the EU.

I'd like to see a Dubrovnik Airport-Cavtat-Dubac-Dubrovnik South-Lozica-Zaton motorway open, and I think it would be viable as a toll motorway. Beyond that, it's hard to see anything happening, apart from possibly an easy upgrade to 2x2 through Konavle.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #6303
threo2k

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Croatia's had economic problems for a while now, and the motorway network is mostly finished anyway. The motorway to Dubrovnik has been discussed endlessly on here, but it's clear that Croatia doesn't want to pay for it and neither does the EU.

I'd like to see a Dubrovnik Airport-Cavtat-Dubac-Dubrovnik South-Lozica-Zaton motorway open, and I think it would be viable as a toll motorway. Beyond that, it's hard to see anything happening, apart from possibly an easy upgrade to 2x2 through Konavle.

Why doesnt Croatia want to pay for it? its their own road..
threo2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #6304
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Why doesnt Croatia want to pay for it? its their own road..
Because traffic volume doesn't justify such an expensive investment. Traffic on A1 south of Split is already very low, building a full profile motorway to Dubrovnik would be a huge waste of money.
Old September 18th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #6305
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:

I remember many years ago, they used to build motorways so fast!! Every year when I drove through they allways opened new sections (on A1), and they said the A1 to dubrovnik would be completed in 2014? The same thing is happened here at A5, wasnt this supposed to be finished a long time ago?
There are was a "little" financial crisis in 2009 and therefore Croatia just run out of money. And because that lack of money the parts of A1 and D425 from Ravca to Ploce take more than 5 years to build (about 30 km).

And this is also the cause why A1, Pleljesac bridge, A5 and A7 are either not startet, halted or heavily delayed.

There were news that Pleljesac bridge will be tendered again next year involving some EU money. I think with the new HDZ goverment this is very likely to happen.

Apart from that, A1 is finished planned, it just needs money to actually start. Nobody knows when this will happen. I think if Pleljesac bridge is build, the part from A1/10 interchange to Slivno interchange will be built (or instead an expressways from Ploce to Slivno).

As of A7: Works there are in my opinion very, very far away.

A5 will completed part by part.

Seagull liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #6306
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:

I have an old map of Croatia where the entire A1 till the border with Montenegro was signed "to be opened in 2008".
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Adayafter liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #6307
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Good old times
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #6308
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

I've been driving around Dubrovnik and Konavle the last few days and must say that even now, after the high season, traffic is still dense around Dubrovnik and it takes forever to get to places. It would make so much sense to build at least a Dubrovnik bypass kind of motorway, as suggested above, from Čilipi to Dubrovnik and further north towards Slano.

It is true that the A1 is pretty empty behind Dugopolje/Split exit, but the D8 is terrible on many days. Especially now that it gets dark early and with the frequent heavy rain in the fall season, in my opinion, it is really dangerous to drive. I've also seen jackals and boars cross the D8 state road around Gruda, even more so on road 516 towards Vitaljina.

Yes, this country is pretty broke, but I agree that a Dubrovnik bypass would also be important in terms of traffic safety - something the government should take into consideration....

zezi, Seagull liked this post
celevac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #6309
roaddor

Likes (Received): 5470

Dubrovnik is a popular, all-season destination so it needs A1, the sooner the better. The simple excuses "there will be no traffic" are in a way penny wise pound foolish.
Even from Munich it can take 9 hours by car with a small rest till Dubrovnik, which is quite acceptable driving complety on a motorway.

FiveYears, ollo, Seagull liked this post
roaddor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 02:46 PM   #6310
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

A new bridge is under construction from Trogir to the island of Čiovo.

Recent photos:

There is a Facebook page that details the bridge construction: https://www.facebook.com/TrogirCiovoNewBridge/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zezi, Luki_SL, Verso, roaddor, Fooxx67 and 8 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:20 PM   #6311
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

Web cam live from construction site
http://www.viadukt.hr/gradiliste-mosta-kopno-otok-ciovo

roaddor, ollo liked this post

Last edited by zezi; October 1st, 2016 at 04:21 PM.
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #6312
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A new bridge is under construction from Trogir to the island of Čiovo.
That is an absolute necessity. We spent over an hour trying to leave the island last summer. The distance covered during that time was a bit over 1km. That being said, the congestion could've been eased a lot by simply installing some traffic lights...

Zabonz liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #6313
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbar View Post
D?: Mokrice (A2) – Andrasevec 4.5km

D?: Andrasevec – Bedekovcina 5.0km

Name of the expressway is D29.
I was about to ask if that's really true because there's already a road signed D29.

I found this posted today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puležan View Post
Brza cesta Čvorište Mokrice (A2) – Bračak (D24), trenutne duljine 5,8 km, službeno je dobila svoju oznaku: D14.

izvor: Odluka o razvrstavanju javnih cesta (NN 96/16 od 21.10.2016.)

Znači, nakon D10 i D12, dobili smo još jednu novu (brzu) cestu numeriranu brojevima unutar ranga 10-20. Načelo parnih brojeva za smjer zapad-istok je ispoštovano (kod D10 je malo klimava situacija), a i ova treća cesta je ustvari brza cesta, pa bi taj rang od 10 do 20 mogao postati rezerviran za brze ceste ovakvog tipa (međužupanijske, međuregionalne magistrale/u profilu brzih cesta). To je samo par mojih zapažanja
It's officially dedicated D14 now

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

zezi, x-type, Gedeon, Puležan liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #6314
Seagull
Fight multinazism!

Likes (Received): 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
There are was a "little" financial crisis in 2009 and therefore Croatia just run out of money. And because that lack of money the parts of A1 and D425 from Ravca to Ploce take more than 5 years to build (about 30 km).

And this is also the cause why A1, Peljesac bridge, A5 and A7 are either not startet, halted or heavily delayed.

There were news that Peljesac bridge will be tendered again next year involving some EU money. I think with the new HDZ goverment this is very likely to happen.

Apart from that, A1 is finished as planned, it just needs money to actually start. Nobody knows when this will happen. I think if Peljesac bridge is build, the part from A1/10 interchange to Slivno interchange will be built (or instead an expressways from Ploce to Slivno).

We SHOULD build at least an expressway from Ploče to Slivno (where the bridge starts). Of course then is the further connection to Osojnik/Dubrovnik logical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
I've been driving around Dubrovnik and Konavle the last few days and must say that even now, after the high season, traffic is still dense around Dubrovnik and it takes forever to get to places. It would make so much sense to build at least a Dubrovnik bypass kind of motorway, as suggested above, from Čilipi to Dubrovnik and further north towards Slano.

It is true that the A1 is pretty empty behind Dugopolje/Split exit, but the D8 is terrible on many days. Especially now that it gets dark early and with the frequent heavy rain in the fall season, in my opinion, it is really dangerous to drive. I've also seen jackals and boars cross the D8 state road around Gruda, even more so on road 516 towards Vitaljina.

Yes, this country is pretty broke, but I agree that a Dubrovnik bypass would also be important in terms of traffic safety - something the government should take into consideration....
Greece is broke, too, but it's still building some 500 km of motorways, right now. So it's the EU that decides about financing.
Slano should be bypassed, too. In my opinion, we should build a bypass of Slano soon or later. That means some tunnels. If you do that, it's easy to make all the motorway connection from the Pelješac bridge to Osojnik (near Tuđman bridge) which is the border crossing towards Bosnia Hercegovina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddor View Post
Dubrovnik is a popular, all-season destination so it needs A1, the sooner the better. The simple excuses "there will be no traffic" are in a way penny wise pound foolish.
Even from Munich it can take 9 hours by car with a small rest till Dubrovnik, which is quite acceptable driving complety on a motorway.
Our politicians should understand what you said: there will be no traffic is not an excuse.
Here is what is happening in Greece: Ionian motorway is going to be opened to traffic in spring 2017. Further greece is just completing the motorway A29 to the Albanian border south of the Prespa and Ohrid lakes.
So there is a motorway connection to the A2 Egnatia Odos from Igoumenitsa to Turkey.
Albania is also completing the A3 Tirana-Elbasan (in 6 months) connecting the Croatian coast with Aegean and further with .
From Dubrovnik to the Greek A29, i.e. Albanian-greek border there are 450 km.

Who's financing that? European Union!

Last edited by Seagull; October 26th, 2016 at 09:37 PM.
Seagull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #6315
italystf

The minister of transports has approved the 56-km extension of A7 between Križišce (current southern terminus of A7) and Žuta Lokva (on A1).
This motorway section, that will be part of the Adriatic-Ionian motorway, connecting Italy and Greece, is planned since at least the early 2000s, but it was cancelled due to the recession.
Estimated cost is around 800 million €.

http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/...2135?ref=fbfpi
(article poorly translated I think, it says opening 2020, but it's impossible due to the complexity of the infrastructure, maybe they say that they plan to start works in 2020?)
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 16th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #6316
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

If planning is finished, it is possible if tendering starts soon. Nearly 4 years should be enough... Look how fast Croatia was building motorways in the first half of the 2000s and the terrain was not easier there

However, nice that you read something new from Croatian motorways

Manolo_B2 liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #6317
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Sounds very unrealistic to me... more likely that the government will have changed another 3 times by 2020, considering the instable political situation we're in.
Old November 16th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #6318
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The minister of transports has approved the 56-km extension of A7 between Križišce (current southern terminus of A7) and Žuta Lokva (on A1).
This motorway section, that will be part of the Adriatic-Ionian motorway, connecting Italy and Greece, is planned since at least the early 2000s, but it was cancelled due to the recession.
Estimated cost is around 800 million €.

http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/...2135?ref=fbfpi
(article poorly translated I think, it says opening 2020, but it's impossible due to the complexity of the infrastructure, maybe they say that they plan to start works in 2020?)
The A7 around Rijeka is substandard afaik. There were plans to build a new full standard motorway farther away from the crowded settled coast on a new trajectory. What about that? Once the gap of A7 is closed on does not need to go the A6/A1 detour. But traffic on this substandard road in urbanized region will increase.

In fact, whilst you could take the A6/A1 detour on motorway right now, there is a gap in Slovenia without any short motorway detour. This never seemed to be priority there.

In Croatia itself you have nicely crowded spots (in summer) south of the end of A1 around Dubrovnik and the neum problem. Why dont they invest money there?

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #6319
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by belerophon View Post
The A7 around Rijeka is substandard afaik. There were plans to build a new full standard motorway farther away from the crowded settled coast on a new trajectory. What about that? Once the gap of A7 is closed on does not need to go the A6/A1 detour. But traffic on this substandard road in urbanized region will increase.

In fact, whilst you could take the A6/A1 detour on motorway right now, there is a gap in Slovenia without any short motorway detour. This never seemed to be priority there.

In Croatia itself you have nicely crowded spots (in summer) south of the end of A1 around Dubrovnik and the neum problem. Why dont they invest money there?
A7 around Rijeka is an expressway, not a motorway.
The gap between Trieste and Rijeka is a big problem in the region and will remain for a while (forever?), as Slovenia has no interest in building this motorway. There are some discussions abut an hypotetical Postojna-Rijeka motorway, but Trieste-Rijeka nothing.
I think a such project must necessarly be heavily founded by EU in order to be viable.
It would have been cool if Italy had opened an 1+1 expressway (like Autostrada dei Laghi and some other of that period) between Trieste and Fiume in the interbellum period. Now it would have been more easy to expand it to a full-standards motorway, and even an 1+1 expressway would be more than the current Highway 7 through villages.

JackFrost, Puležan, Seagull liked this post
Old November 16th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #6320
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

A7 is a little bit crowdy and "problematic" only on the section from Matulji interchange (>B8) to Orehovica interchange (>A6) because it is twisty and has lots of exits close to each other. From Orehovica southwards it's a nice 2x2 expressway with smooth curves. The big and nasty curve near the end is location of the future Krizisce interchange where the "real" A7 motorway will start towards Zuta Lokva, so after all, today's situation isn't that bad at all

The terrain from Krizisce to Zuta Lokva, especially from Senj to Zuta Lokva is more difficult than the one where A1 is [Lika and Dalmatia are more or less flat, especially when compared to Gorski Kotar (A6) or Velebit (A7)]. It would be nice if Vratnik tunnel and half-profile motorway are going to be built first.

As for Dubrovnik and Neum problem, half-profile expressway (2x1, denivelated) is the most realistic option for continuation from Ploce towards Dubrovnik via Peljesac bridge. Also, there are some plans for a better connection of Dubrovnik and its airport, but at the moment it's not known whether it would be a betterment of the existing road D8, a new road or combination of the two, nor the characteristics (number of lanes, grade separation...).
Puležan no está en línea   Reply With Quote