daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old February 12th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #1
LA1

Likes (Received): 0

Chicago Retail and Restaurant Thread

Post any articles or share rumors about new stores or interesting restaurants/bars/nightclubs opening up in neighborhoods that lack or are devoid of them.

Examples being the Carson Prarie Scott store, Best Buy rumored to go to Chicago place, etc or new restaurants going to the growing restaurant row on Wabash south of Roosevelt.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Sir Isaac Newton

In regards to new restaurants going to the growing restaurant row on Wabash, south of Roosevelt...does anyone know if Glashaus or 1349 South Wabash will have ground floor retail in the buildings? It would be great if a quality restaurant was built in each of these buildings as it would extend the restaurant row on Wabash, potentially creating a row that might eventually rival the row on Randolph Street.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #3
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Glashaus has something like 12,500 sq. ft. of retail, although I'm not sure about 1349.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #4
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^The lady at the Glaushaus sales center was saying they are in talks with Argo Tea for part of the retail frontage...at least its not a starbucks.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #5
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 978

Rumor has city drooling

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/f...asse19.article

Rumor has city drooling
Another French chef may open restaurant here

February 19, 2007
BY JANET RAUSA FULLER Staff Reporter

Is an Alain Ducasse Chicago restaurant in the works?

The decorated French chef -- the only chef in the world to have three restaurants with three Michelin stars -- appeared to be on a scouting mission recently in the Windy City.

On Dec. 7, chef Graham Elliot Bowles at Avenues in the Peninsula hotel got a call: Ducasse was on a plane a few hours from Chicago, and he wanted to eat at Avenues.
Bowles said it was past 10 p.m. when Ducasse and two guests arrived, but the restaurant stayed open, and Ducasse told the young chef to cook at his whim.

'Like cooking for the Messiah'
"It was like cooking for the Messiah," said Bowles of serving Ducasse a meal that included venison tartare, salmon with "sauerkraut bubbles" and a Kobe strip steak with smoked potato beignets.
Restaurant manager Nicolas Dubort, who is from Paris, exchanged a few words in French with Ducasse, telling the chef "he would be a delight to have on the Chicago restaurant scene."

Ducasse smiled and said, "It is a little bit cold," adding that he was "undecided" but that "Chicago was a pleasant city," Dubort said.

Ducasse's camp in Paris has denied the chef is planning a Chicago venture. But the talk in local food circles is that Ducasse was at one point eyeing the Donald Trump tower under construction on Wabash Avenue. Trump officials in New York did not return calls for comment.

"I'm sure they're looking for a high-profile operation," chef Charlie Trotter said of his friend.

The three jewels in Ducasse's Michelin-studded crown are the Plaza Athenee in Paris, Le Louis XV in Monaco and Alain Ducasse at the Essex House, which has closed and is reopening this spring at New York City's St. Regis Hotel. He also has restaurants in Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, Las Vegas, Italy, Mauritius, Tunisia and Switzerland.

Another French uber-chef, Joel Robuchon, confirmed this month that he is planning to open a Chicago restaurant by the end of next year.

Ducasse's apparent interest "only helps to cement the fact that Chicago is this big food town now," Bowles said. "It makes it better for everybody."

jfuller@suntimes.com
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #6
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

[QUOTE=nomarandlee;11808261]Ducasse smiled and said, "It is a little bit cold," adding that he was "undecided" but that "Chicago was a pleasant city," Dubort said.[QUOTE]

^ Fuck him. I'm so sick of hearing that shit. I'm freezing my ass off--in fact my nose nearly fell off yesterday from the wind chill I experienced while walking around New York yesterday. And this is the same guy who has a restaurant in snowy Switzerland.

People who make stupid statements like that should just get banned from setting foot in Chicago for 10 years.
It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #7
urbanpln

Whole Foods and Target are locating in the Carson's building. There are several other retailers also.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #8
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
Whole Foods and Target are locating in the Carson's building. There are several other retailers also.
how in the world will whole foods deal with the parking issue? Dominicks over at Skybridge on Halsted at least has space in the condo's garage for (free) parking; I believe the Streeterville Jewel does, too. But in the heart of the Loop? That seems crazy. Meanwhile, Treasure Island is openning a few blocks away in LSE and I'm sure they will have parking.

I still wish that Sunset Foods (with all its successes on the North Shore) would open downtown; they would be very successful.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #9
LA1

Quote:
NO WAY! How did you find out about that? Is Target still looking at Lord and Taylor's former space? Who else is coming in? Anything notable?
Man State Street is booming!
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #10
trvlr70

[QUOTE=The Urban Politician;11811189][QUOTE=nomarandlee;11808261]Ducasse smiled and said, "It is a little bit cold," adding that he was "undecided" but that "Chicago was a pleasant city," Dubort said.
Quote:

And this is the same guy who has a restaurant in snowy Switzerland.

People who make stupid statements like that should just get banned from setting foot in Chicago for 10 years.
I'm a Swiss born Chicagoan. No major city in Switzerland is anywhere near as cold as Chicago. Parts of Switzerland have palm trees.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #11
trvlr70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1 View Post
NO WAY! How did you find out about that? Is Target still looking at Lord and Taylor's former space? Who else is coming in? Anything notable?
Man State Street is booming!
At Water Tower Place? Oh God, I hope not. I'm a fan of Target, but Michigan Av. should remain higher end in my opinion.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #12
urbanpln

Whole Foods and Target are definitely coming to the Carson's sight. There does not seem to be a parking plan at this moment. There should be a public announcement within the next two weeks. As fgor other retailers, I don't know at this moment but the deevelopers are looking for a good mix of quality stores.
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #13
urbanpln

I have a question for you trvlr70 and other forumers. Do you think Chicago's winters will prevent it from attracting more young talent,commerce and tourist? I'd like edsg25 and Steeley's opinion also.
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #14
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
how in the world will whole foods deal with the parking issue? Dominicks over at Skybridge on Halsted at least has space in the condo's garage for (free) parking; I believe the Streeterville Jewel does, too. But in the heart of the Loop? That seems crazy. Meanwhile, Treasure Island is openning a few blocks away in LSE and I'm sure they will have parking.

I still wish that Sunset Foods (with all its successes on the North Shore) would open downtown; they would be very successful.
Why is there a parking issue. Walk, use transit. Within a couple of blocks of the Carson's site there are lots of condos coming on line in the next couple of years. There is no way anyone can convince me that parking is necessary at this site.

SSDD
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #15
dvidler

Quote:
I have a question for you trvlr70 and other forumers. Do you think Chicago's winters will prevent it from attracting more young talent,commerce and tourist? I'd like edsg25 and Steeley's opinion also.
I would say that the view of Chicago on a world wide scale impacts those factors more than our winters. Unfortunately many in Europe, Asia, etc do not know of Chicago as we do. Which is why the Olympics in 2016 provide a big catalyst to turning this view around.
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #16
dvidler

Quote:
Whole Foods and Target are definitely coming to the Carson's sight. There does not seem to be a parking plan at this moment. There should be a public announcement within the next two weeks. As fgor other retailers, I don't know at this moment but the deevelopers are looking for a good mix of quality stores.
Do you know first hand of this or just speculation?
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #17
urbanpln

This is good information. As I quoted earlier, I expect an announcement within the next 2 weeks.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM   #18
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
Why is there a parking issue. Walk, use transit. Within a couple of blocks of the Carson's site there are lots of condos coming on line in the next couple of years. There is no way anyone can convince me that parking is necessary at this site.

SSDD
no argument there, but the existing Jewel, Dominick, and TI super markets in the downtown area all provide parking. It is unlikely that people doing major shopping are going to walk to take public tansit. My assumption is that Whole Foods success is based on serving people other than those on Michigan, Wabash, and State. Without a car, that would be a most difficult task.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #19
edsg25
BANNED

Isn't American Girl a lock at L&T WTP???? I didn't think any other store was open for consideration. If there was, I doubt that Target would have been the best fit. That honor would belong to Carsons. Carsons never said it didn't want to be downtown, only that the size and scope of the State Street store lost its practicality.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM   #20
edsg25
BANNED

Does anyone know what is going on with Lettuce Entertain You?

I have no question that their success continues unabated at so many locations. However, there has been one fundamental change in LEY: at one time, it seemed, Lettuce cranked out new Chgo restaurants almost at the rate of one or two a year.

New restaurants continue to open in Chicago, but LEY contributes very few and the ones it does add tend to be replacements for existing LEY restaurants. Even in their western markets (LA, Vegas, Phx), little seems to happen. Does anyonne have any idea why the slowdown?