daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Douly

Likes (Received): 1611

MARSEILLE | Tour CMA-CGM | 143m | 469ft | 34 fl | Com

Description: CMA CGM TOwer also called "Tour French Line".

A new 148-metre tower designed by Zaha Hadid, which is to become the headquarters of container shipping giant, CMA-CGM.

The high-rise is located in the business quarter of the city (euromediterranée district).

CMA CGM Head Office in Marseilles:

Some renders of the tower:

Current Hq of cma cgm:

Hope you like it.

There are more renders, and I have more informations to give you but currently I'm lacking time, so I'll put it later.

Visit the MP2013 official thread on SSP

Visit "La Marseillaise" highrise thread on SSP
http://vimeo.com/104242985#at=27

Last edited by Douly; April 4th, 2007 at 06:23 AM.
Douly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #2
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

I love it! For some reason it reminds me of a much more slender and refined version of Tour Montparnasse.
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Not very high but a very sleek design.
I love it too.
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #4
Chrispic

Likes (Received): 514

Thanks Douly for this thread !!

Now, we hope that some Marseillais will give us recent updates of the building site.

A great tower for Marseilles and for one of the most exciting business district in France!

Last edited by Chrispic; February 12th, 2007 at 11:47 PM.
Chrispic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #5
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

Why can't anyone spell correctly MARSEILLE. Do I talk of CHICAGOE ?
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #6
Douly

Well because the right spelling of Marseille in english in Marseilles. In spanish: marsella, in italiano: Marsiglia etc etc.

Thanks for your comment, I'll post more info, renders and photo when I'll have time. I'll also open a thread of all Marseilles' Euromed project next week in the Int'l section.

@chrispic: you're welcome

Old February 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #7
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

In fact no, Marseilles is an alternate spelling of Marseille for english.
(source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille)
So why not use the main one, which would make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douly View Post
Well because the right spelling of Marseille in english in Marseilles. In spanish: marsella, in italiano: Marsiglia etc etc.

Thanks for your comment, I'll post more info, renders and photo when I'll have time. I'll also open a thread of all Marseilles' Euromed project next week in the Int'l section.

@chrispic: you're welcome
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #8
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

wow!! love the building. the curves are great

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Douly

At the beginning, the tower was supposed to reach 110 m. Due to CMA CGM fast growth, they decided to extend their future hq. The tower will now reach 150m.

Here is an explanation of the clad:

Quote:

Compressed Complexity and Parametric Interarticulation

What is of particular interest to us is also the reverse effect: The disciplining effect of the task to design a high-rise on the architectural language we are trying to develop and refine. The tower demands much higher levels of precision and a close knit integration of all parts and subsystems. This shifts the emphasis of the new language of architecture away from the freewheeling, expansive layering to towards a keen sense of compact inter-articulation. This implies tight geometric coordination of all components. If the principles of variation, adaptation and differentiation are to be upheld we require a new set of concepts and tools. The geometry of the building has to be conceived as network of linked parameters and handled with an elaborate parametric models, whereby e.g. the internal subdivision is linked to vary simultaneously with the changing outer shape of the model. The structure should adjust with increasing height etc.
The designs of our towers for Beijing CBD, Milan, and Marseilles were generated by means of such a parametric models.
The parametric modeling affords a new, concrete understanding of “organic” design as parametrically controlled inter-articulation of the subsystems.
As scripted system of relations the parametric composition is highly differentiated, yet this differentiation is rule-governed. It is based on a systematic set of lawful correlations that are defined between the differentiated elements and subsystems. These correlations integrate and (re-)establish a visible coherence and unity across the differentiated system. It is the sense of law-governed complexity that assimilates this work to the forms we find in (organic as well as in inorganic) natural systems, where all forms are the result of lawfully interacting forces. Just like natural systems, parametric compositions cannot be easily decomposed into independent subsystems – a major point of difference in comparison with the modern insistence on clear separation of functional subsystems, like tower and podium, skin and skeleton, post and beam etc.

What is of particular interest to us is also the reverse effect: The disciplining effect of the task to design a high-rise on the architectural language we are trying to develop and refine. The tower demands much higher levels of precision and a close knit integration of all parts and subsystems. This shifts the emphasis of the new language of architecture away from the freewheeling, expansive layering to towards a keen sense of compact inter-articulation. This implies tight geometric coordination of all components. If the principles of variation, adaptation and differentiation are to be upheld we require a new set of concepts and tools. The geometry of the building has to be conceived as network of linked parameters and handled with an elaborate parametric models, whereby e.g. the internal subdivision is linked to vary simultaneously with the changing outer shape of the model. The structure should adjust with increasing height etc.
The designs of our towers for Beijing CBD, Milan, and Marseilles were generated by means of such a parametric models.
The parametric modeling affords a new, concrete understanding of “organic” design as parametrically controlled inter-articulation of the subsystems.
As scripted system of relations the parametric composition is highly differentiated, yet this differentiation is rule-governed. It is based on a systematic set of lawful correlations that are defined between the differentiated elements and subsystems. These correlations integrate and (re-)establish a visible coherence and unity across the differentiated system. It is the sense of law-governed complexity that assimilates this work to the forms we find in (organic as well as in inorganic) natural systems, where all forms are the result of lawfully interacting forces. Just like natural systems, parametric compositions cannot be easily decomposed into independent subsystems – a major point of difference in comparison with the modern insistence on clear separation of functional subsystems, like tower and podium, skin and skeleton, post and beam etc.

The site:

Between two highways (viaducs), in front of the port.

(you can see the tower cith it's 110 version)

Current Hq:

updates of the construction soon..

Old March 10th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Chrispic

No update for the moment. We are looking for a Marseillan who could take some pics!
But: a habitant of a residence near of Euroméditerranée have placed a webcam centered on the building site. Link of the webcam: http://www.raby-f.com/webcam.htm

As of today, a screenshot of the webcam: you can see the cranes of the tower

Old March 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

What do they mean with "second semester 2009"?

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #12
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 112

Second half of 2009
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #13
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6367

I really like the design of this tower. Are there any plans for more skyscrapers in this area?
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #14
Chrispic

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I really like the design of this tower. Are there any plans for more skyscrapers in this area?
Yes. I haven't time now, but I (or Douly) will expose the others project.
There is 3/4 other towers planned, but under 148m.
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #15
Douly

Hi,

Second half of 2009 ( = third or fourth quarter of 2009)

Here is an extract of the cladding:

photo by forumer architoctoc.

@Chrispic: I'll open a thread on "Marseille Euromediterranée projects" which is a bit like Haffencity in Hamburg (twin city of Marseilles) as soon as we got the renders of SAS SUEDE projects (possibly for MIPIM 2007 in 3 days). SAS SUEDE project :3 towers (two business (architects Jean Nouvel and Yves Lion) and one residential (JB Pietri)). For the moment, euromediterranée district gathers projets from the following international acrhitects: Zaha Hadid, Jean Nouvel, Massimiliano Fuksas, Rudy Ricciotti, Fabrice Drain etc etc.
5 skyscrapers are planned (zaha hadid, jean Nouvel, Fabrice drain, Yves Lion and JB Pietri).

Old March 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #16
macpolo

Likes (Received): 154

finally
somebody post it
marseilles,full of wonderful projects

what about the jean nouvel tower? any news?
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #17
Douly

Mipim 2007 in Cannes (France) in 3 days.

Old March 11th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #18
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Looks like it has about 150 floors here

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #19
Densaga

Likes (Received): 17

great tower but , in the name of god PLEASE rename the thread in MARSEILLE

thanks !
Densaga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #20
Chrispic

Other photos by architoctoc, many thanks to him, he risk his life, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architoctoc View Post
allez encore trois petites... vites prises depuis l'autoroute en conduisant ! Je risque ma vie pour vous les gars !

Tags
zaha hadid